Thanksgiving- Whats on your table?

Solid Scarecrow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
As Thanksgiving rounds the corner I was wondering what special or odd dishes people serve to there family. I have nothing to crazy except the stuffing cooked with sausage or the mashed potato salad. Any tasty little family recipes out there!!! :drool:

The list

Fruit salad
Sweet potatos
mashed potato salad
stuffing w/ sausage
Turkey
cranberry sauce
gravy
rolls
pies( apple, pumpkin, blue berry)
shrimp cocktail

Will have a traditional family dinner Thursday. I'm gonna try my hand at making guac for snacking before and after. Otherwise my work usually gives out Turkeys but offered us grocery store gift cards instead. I opted for a gift card so I can make a corned beef in the crock pot Friday since I don't really like Turkey all that much, won't have leftovers and won't be leaving the house Friday

Turkey, stuffing, potatoes (mashed and au gratin), cheese-stuffed celery and some sort of steamed veggies (it changes), gravy, chocolate and lemon meringue pie (sometimes pumpkin.) Normally homemade dinner rolls, but since I close the day before Thanksgiving this year and won't be home to help, mom opted for canned croissants and biscuits to save time.

If you are not black or italian for Thanksgiving, I feel sorry for you ^_^ I'm italian so we go hardcore.
Traditional + a few pastas and salads -_-

[quote name='lilboo']If you are not black or italian for Thanksgiving, I feel sorry for you ^_^ [/QUOTE]

Don't, because the rest of the year we feel sorry for you if you are either of those =-D

Traditional Thanksgiving food is boring, so we don't make it...

Blackened Steak
Baked Rock Fish
Twice Baked Potatoes
Corn
Creamed Spinach
Sugar Snap Peas
Home made rolls
Oyster Stew
Crab and Cheese Dip
Baked Jalepeno Poppers
Deep Fried Green Beans
Deep Fried Oysters
Deep Fried Crab Rangoon Pot Stickers
Apple Pie
Cheesecake

[quote name='musha666']Don't, because the rest of the year we feel sorry for you if you are either of those =-D[/QUOTE]

Criiiiiiiiiiiiiiiies :cry:

But that's what makes the sweet potatoes awesome.

For us, hard to say for sure since I'm going away for my dinner, but probably:

Sliced Turkey
Stuffing
Sweet Potatoes
Rolls
Mac N Cheese
Some sort of vegetable I won't eat
Ham
Mashed Potatoes
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Roll
Sawdust Salad
And probably at least one or two things I'm missing.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Turkey, stuffing, potatoes (mashed and au gratin), cheese-stuffed celery and some sort of steamed veggies (it changes), gravy, chocolate and lemon meringue pie (sometimes pumpkin.) Normally homemade dinner rolls, but since I close the day before Thanksgiving this year and won't be home to help, mom opted for canned croissants and biscuits to save time.[/QUOTE]

what is this cheese stuff celery you speak of?

[quote name='lilboo']If you are not black or italian for Thanksgiving, I feel sorry for you ^_^ I'm italian so we go hardcore.
Traditional + a few pastas and salads -_-

Turkey
Ham
Mashed Potatoes
Mac'n Cheese
Stuffing
Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie milkshkes from Jack n the box (odd family tradition)
Soda

Then followed by a mild heart attack.

[quote name='lilboo']If you are not black or italian for Thanksgiving, I feel sorry for you ^_^[/QUOTE]

I'm neither, but I'm fortunate enough to have black in-laws who cook soul food. It's so on.

Edit: Sweet potatoes are one of those things that I never tried as a kid then I ate some and wondered where the fuck they'd been all my life.

some kind of asian food either thai or vietmanese. im not much into turkey and aside from a few key side dishes im not int holiday cooking so id rather try something different. not to mention asian food doesnt come with those 2 extra ingredients called guilt and drama.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']

Then followed by a mild heart attack.[/QUOTE]

Heart attack no, food coma yes. I even try and be conscious of it while making the plate at holidays but theres usually so many options a lil bit of everything adds up.

Off topic but to this day and age I can't seem to understand why people eat turkey with cranberry sauce? To me that is like eating fried chicken with jam. I'm a big sauce guy so I usually just pour gravy over my entire plate (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes).

We just have the typical thanksgiving meal at our family's get together, and I can almost guarantee that the Turkey will be flash cooked and spongy thanks to my aunt.
I am looking forward to the desserts though, since everybody usually brings something good to sample.

[quote name='Kendro']Off topic but to this day and age I can't seem to understand why people eat turkey with cranberry sauce? To me that is like eating fried chicken with jam. I'm a big sauce guy so I usually just pour gravy over my entire plate (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes).[/QUOTE]

Well my favorite leftover dish is

a sandwich with turkey, sausage stuffing, cranberry sauce and mayo!!!

One of these days I would like to try a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, and I mean TRULY traditional, like eel, lobster, and venison. (Granted as most of my extended family hunts, we have a lot of deer meat around). But, we usually have a honey-baked ham, and a turkey, and all the usual side suspects. My wife's family usually cooks three turkeys, one baked, one deep fried, and one smoked. They also like to make oyster stuffing. XP

McDonald's Dollar Menu McDouble's. Since my Dad passed away in 2006, and my grandparents are all long gone, it's just me and my Mom. So instead of cooking I go pick up McDonalds for us. Cheap and easy cleanup.

bread's done
Back