That Mr. Musician, I just wanna kick him in the balls

joem5815

CAGiversary!
What's with all the hate on the rock music games? Every time I read an opinion about them on gaming sites, it's music-game-lover non-musicians against music-game-hater musicians. I love the games, and I've been a musician for over a decade. I understand the difference between the games and conventional music-making. Why don't other musicians?

My theory is Mr. Musician usually is a guy that spent years of his life mastering their instrument, only to see Mr. Non-Musician get a sense of satisfaction musically after only hours of toying with a plastic controller, then suggest that Mr. Non-Musician get a life and try a "real" instrument under the guise of opening Mr. Non-Musician's eyes to a more fulfilling hobby while actually hoping Mr. Non-Musician fails at the "real thing" and cries himself to sleep. It's like when Mr. Read-The-Book calls Mr. Watched-The-Movie an illiterate buffoon just because the movie was just as good, or when Mr. College-Graduate pokes fun at Mr. Technical-School for not having a Master's degree, even though Mr.Technical-School started a business and makes more money than him. Makes me ill.

Fine, Mr. Musician. We'll all stop rockin' out to Rock Band and Guitar Hero and pick up a REAL guitar. And while we're at it, we'll go raid some tombs, climb the criminal organizational ladder, and await the zombie apocalypse with pistol and shotgun at the ready.

They're only saying that because an adult fiddling around with a plastic guitar, with all their adult friends and their plastic instruments, is really fucking lame.

Why the hell is this in the Controversy forum?

[quote name='joem5815']

Fine, Mr. Musician. We'll all stop rockin' out to Rock Band and Guitar Hero and pick up a REAL guitar. And while we're at it, we'll go raid some tombs, climb the criminal organizational ladder, and await the zombie apocalypse with pistol and shotgun at the ready.[/quote]

You do realize how much easier the former is to the latter, right? That's the point. You can get an okay starter guitar for dirt cheap and have the ability to learn the songs and express some creativity. You can't become a football player for the NFL , you can't become a space marine on a mission to kill aliens, but you can buy a guitar for not so much more than the actual games with the controller are now. That and the time it takes for you to do intricate songs on expert is just ridiculous. Many of the guys who are good at GH and RB could have been great musicians had they actually chose to play the non plastic instruments. Hell, many of them probably are. I played guitar hero and god did I suck at it.

That being said, I don't have a problem with the games. I have no problem with people doing what they enjoy. As long as they do not feel some sort of pride for mastering songs which they didn't create on a plastic guitar. I'd love to get the Rock Band drums and microphone if it wasn't so damned expensive. I think it's genius, to be honest. They basically re-marketed / repackaged a game that had already existed ( Amplitude ), added a plastic controller, and made millions.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']I played guitar hero and god did I suck at it.

I have no problem with people doing what they enjoy. As long as they do not feel some sort of pride for mastering songs which they didn't create on a plastic guitar.[/QUOTE]

Why shouldn't they take pride? Obviously it takes a skill of some sort, as you've already admittted you sucked at the game when you tried it. Even if that skill is not the same as playing a stringed guitar, it is a skill nonetheless and thus there is nothing wrong with taking pride in it.

[quote name='Ruined']Why shouldn't they take pride? Obviously it takes a skill of some sort, as you've already admittted you sucked at the game when you tried it. Even if that skill is not the same as playing a stringed guitar, it is a skill nonetheless and thus there is nothing wrong with taking pride in it.[/quote]

Okay.

I personally do not hold good guitar hero players in high regard, but I suppose it's not * bad * for them to have pride.

Man, people are so stupid the way they get upset at what others find fun. What the fuck do you care if someone else enjoys something you don't? It doesn't hurt you. Get a life yourself and go do the things you enjoy, and leave everyone else the hell alone to do their thing.

I'm not a very good GH player, and probably never will be, but I can have fun with it and I've seen lots of people do the same, so who the hell cares that it's not a "real instrument"?

Some musicians can't really look at it in the same view as customers. To them its a simplified version of their song that people can do easily and not the party tool as it is. Having my friends over were going to have more fun playing Rock Band instead of trying to actually cover the song. It's based on levels of practice.

Though, I do have to thank the games. I did start to learn to play the guitar because of how much fun it was to play the songs and feel like I could play it.

I just don't get why so many people will hold out for sports games to drop in price, or bitch about em yearly, yet Guitar Hero/Rock Band has a get out of jail free card on that shit. Seriously, sequelwhore much?

bread's done
Back