The 2008 MLB Season Thread (Update: Phillies Won)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just in: Having long ago relieved pitchers of the pesky duty of having to hit for themselves, the American League succumbs to the inevitable and dispenses with pitchers altogether. Until further notice, balls will be gently lobbed underhand by 10-year-old orphans, ensuring a steady stream of prodigious home runs and satisfied fans across the land!

Man, what a crazy game.

I definitely didn't expect to see Webb pitching today considering he was worked Sunday.

I need to now peel myself out of my chair.

Yeah it sucks that he didn't play, I didn't even realize he wasn't even at the game until like the 3rd pitcher came in and he had yet to pitch. Had to go online and see what was up.

He'll be alright, he had flulike symptoms and dehydration and was released from the hospital in the afternoon. Cain is starting the next game so they say that Lincecum probably won't even miss his start which is scheduled for Sunday.

link

Dammit National League. I was hoping we'd win just in case the Cubs somehow broke their curse and made it to the World Series.

I thought it was funny listening to the crowd every time a Red Sox player was announced. They were all over Pappelbaum when he gave up the lead. The funniest part was it wasn't really his fault. Tejada took third on a throwing error. Had it not been for the error he would not have been able to score that inning.

Yea, not the smartest showing by Yankees fans last night. "Let's boo the AL pitcher and get him rattled so we can lose and give the NL home field advantage!" :dunce:

Booing the Red Sox is WAY higher on the importance list than giving the AL home field advantage in the World Series. That was easily my favorite inning.

I am fine with yank fans booing redsox players. Espically the idiot that is pabblebon...He needs to learn to keep his fucking mouth shut. He shouldn't have said anything about not wanting to let rivera close the game. He should have let francona handle it....

on weei radio, a caller suggested that tito tank the game, so that the redsox will win the ws at home this year....i find that funny.

[quote name='DT778']Yeah it sucks that he didn't play, I didn't even realize he wasn't even at the game until like the 3rd pitcher came in and he had yet to pitch. Had to go online and see what was up.[/quote]

So I take it you didn't listen to the announcers say Lincecum was hospitalized with flu-like symptoms?

[quote name='ryanbph']I am fine with yank fans booing redsox players. Espically the idiot that is pabblebon...He needs to learn to keep his fucking mouth shut. He shouldn't have said anything about not wanting to let rivera close the game. He should have let francona handle it....

on weei radio, a caller suggested that tito tank the game, so that the redsox will win the ws at home this year....i find that funny.[/quote]

Yeah, I may not like the Yankees (organization), but give Rivera is due. He's a legend and deserved to close out the last All Star game at Yankee Stadium. Just keep your mouth shut Jon and move along.

I think it would be interesting, if baseball did a 3-3-1 series. It'd cut down on travel time, allow for an off day to relax and one to travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of talk have heated up on weei about a youkillis for texeria straight up trade. A lot of this is coming up due to the fact the redsox are very scared that when ortiz takes big rip at a ball, that his wrist will be done untill he has surgery.

I am in favor of doing the trade even if ortiz is fine. You get a swith hitter, who can bat 3rd (w/o ortiz) or 5th (with ortiz) in the lineup. Youks trade value will never be higher. Historically he has collapsed in the 2nd half of the season the past 2 years. Last year he had a .328 b4 the all star break and a .238 after the break. In 06 he had a pre all star break .297 and a post all star break avg of .257. So coming off the all star game, he has a high trade value and the braves would get him locked up for 3 more years at cheap money.

The redsox would get a bat for the playoffs, and then take the 2 draft picks by letting texeria walk. This could open the door for the young stud 1b prospect they have at AAA. Chris Carter is hitting .288 with 19 homers. He is in the top 5 in homers, and is #2 in the IL in RBI's. He is younger and cheaper then youkillis.

Allegedly boston had inquired about a trade, and atlanta wanted youk and hanson. Boston didn't want to include hanson w/o getting bullpen help in return. They allegedly informed the braves to keep in touch with them about texeria.

[quote name='ryanbph']lots of talk have heated up on weei about a youkillis for texeria straight up trade. A lot of this is coming up due to the fact the redsox are very scared that when ortiz takes big rip at a ball, that his wrist will be done untill he has surgery.

I am in favor of doing the trade even if ortiz is fine. You get a swith hitter, who can bat 3rd (w/o ortiz) or 5th (with ortiz) in the lineup. Youks trade value will never be higher. Historically he has collapsed in the 2nd half of the season the past 2 years. Last year he had a .328 b4 the all star break and a .238 after the break. In 06 he had a pre all star break .297 and a post all star break avg of .257. So coming off the all star game, he has a high trade value and the braves would get him locked up for 3 more years at cheap money.

The redsox would get a bat for the playoffs, and then take the 2 draft picks by letting texeria walk. This could open the door for the young stud 1b prospect they have at AAA. Chris Carter is hitting .288 with 19 homers. He is in the top 5 in homers, and is #2 in the IL in RBI's. He is younger and cheaper then youkillis.

Allegedly boston had inquired about a trade, and atlanta wanted youk and hanson. Boston didn't want to include hanson w/o getting bullpen help in return. They allegedly informed the braves to keep in touch with them about texeria.[/quote]

If it would only cost us Youk, then I like the deal. Even with the type of year Youk is having dealing him while his value is high, is a nice. If he doesn't have a drop off, then oh well.

Also, was reading somewhere about Holliday and the Red Sox interest. I just wonder if they'd be able to work something out with the Rockies to get him, if he were available. And if they did, Manny could walk after the season and we'd be alright. Especially given his 20 mil option.

All the callers on the local sports radio were complaining about how the broadcasters pretty much ignored "The Mexicutioner" Soria. They were also saying that Francona had pretty much decided Soria wasn't going to play and only got into the game because it went so long.

I'm thinking "What do you expect, it's fucking Kansas City. They've been irrelivent since 1985."

[quote name='Chitown021']All the callers on the local sports radio were complaining about how the broadcasters pretty much ignored "The Mexicutioner" Soria. They were also saying that Francona had pretty much decided Soria wasn't going to play and only got into the game because it went so long.

I'm thinking "What do you expect, it's fucking Kansas City. They've been irrelivent since 1985."[/QUOTE]
Its because Soria worked 3 games in 4 days/5 games in 7 days leading up to the break.

[quote name='dafoomie']Its because Soria worked 3 games in 4 days leading up to the break.[/quote]

No, it's because Kansas City is a small market team. FOX basically turned the broadcast into a Red Sox vs. Yankees game.

[quote name='Chitown021']No, it's because Kansas City is a small market team. FOX basically turned the broadcast into a Red Sox vs. Yankees game.[/QUOTE]
So Fox decided for Francona that he wasn't going to pitch?

Francona didn't want to use him because Soria had worked a ton leading up to the break, thats all. Fox's poor handling of the game broadcast is another issue (they were awful).

[quote name='Chitown021']No, it's because Kansas City is a small market team. FOX basically turned the broadcast into a Red Sox vs. Yankees game.[/quote]

To be fair it is Yankees stadium....Papelbon was runnin' his mouth like a little bitch....so all the hype was based on those two teams.

Game wasn't that great I thought....horrible hitting....no clutch offense at all....and the defense was pretty bad as well (the two plays the NL made were obvious missed calls)

Honestly....I thought the MVP should've gone to Tejada..

[quote name='ph33r m3']To be fair it is Yankees stadium....Papelbon was runnin' his mouth like a little bitch....so all the hype was based on those two teams.

Game wasn't that great I thought....horrible hitting....no clutch offense at all....and the defense was pretty bad as well (the two plays the NL made were obvious missed calls)

Honestly....I thought the MVP should've gone to Tejada..[/quote]

not to mention uggla's 3 errors.Yeesh.

i was reading on Metsblog that Wright was pushing to pitch in the game if needed. My day or infact week would have been made if i got to see that lol.

[quote name='dafoomie']So Fox decided for Francona that he wasn't going to pitch?

Francona didn't want to use him because Soria had worked a ton leading up to the break, thats all. Fox's poor handling of the game broadcast is another issue (they were awful).[/quote]

Francona could give two shits about Soria. Even if Soria hadn't pitched for a week he would've done the same thing. In his eyes Soria was the single scrub player from the Royals that he had to have on his team. That in itself made him one of the lowest guys on his depth chart. That's sad because lost in the abysmal Royals season is a closer that has some of the best stuff in the American league.

For once the Royals actually deserved to have an all-star rather than just getting one because they have to.

[quote name='Chitown021']Francona could give two shits about Soria. Even if Soria hadn't pitched for a week he would've done the same thing. In his eyes Soria was the single scrub player from the Royals that he had to have on his team. That in itself made him one of the lowest guys on his depth chart. That's sad because lost in the abysmal Royals season is a closer that has some of the best stuff in the American league.

For once the Royals actually deserved to have an all-star rather than just getting one because they have to.[/quote]

why are you trying to give francona so much shit...as much as I hate him as a in game decision manager, he is without a doubt one of the nicest, most down to earth, easy going managers I have seen in Boston in a long time. I don't know where you are getting the KC Royals scrub player idea's from, but you obviously don't know much about francona. He is very knowledgable about the game, pitch counts, batter vs pitcher #'s etc...Add that into the fact Soria HAS PITCHED A SHITLOAD recently, and I think it is easy to understand why he wasn't going to be used, much like Kazmir wasn't supposed to be used. Are you really going by what the fox broadcast teams says? Really?

[quote name='ryanbph']why are you trying to give francona so much shit...as much as I hate him as a in game decision manager, he is without a doubt one of the nicest, most down to earth, easy going managers I have seen in Boston in a long time. I don't know where you are getting the KC Royals scrub player idea's from, but you obviously don't know much about francona. He is very knowledgable about the game, pitch counts, batter vs pitcher #'s etc...Add that into the fact Soria HAS PITCHED A SHITLOAD recently, and I think it is easy to understand why he wasn't going to be used, much like Kazmir wasn't supposed to be used. Are you really going by what the fox broadcast teams says? Really?[/quote]

even hurdle had to respect using his pitchers. He could have tossed Webb atleast 3-4 innings but took him out after 1 since he pitched on sunday.
I think these coaches have to use their players in respect to their teams and how much they pitched before hand. Kazmir was limiited to 25 also becuase he threw a 100+ pitch game that weekend also. Soria is great but i think the royals should be happy that he isn't coming back injured or overworked. he will be fresh when he gets back. i think francona was just respecting that. Fox Broadcasters are stupid. i dont know how much i can listen to tim mccarver and joe buck. they annoy me.

[quote name='ryanbph']why are you trying to give francona so much shit...as much as I hate him as a in game decision manager, he is without a doubt one of the nicest, most down to earth, easy going managers I have seen in Boston in a long time. I don't know where you are getting the KC Royals scrub player idea's from, but you obviously don't know much about francona. He is very knowledgable about the game, pitch counts, batter vs pitcher #'s etc...Add that into the fact Soria HAS PITCHED A SHITLOAD recently, and I think it is easy to understand why he wasn't going to be used, much like Kazmir wasn't supposed to be used. Are you really going by what the fox broadcast teams says? Really?[/quote]

I agree with most of what you said. I disagree that Francona is a bad in game decision manager (at all times).

He is pedestrian in the regular season, but he is exceptional in the postseason.

[quote name='Furashu']/joke
this just in
dan uggla is getting traded to the bosox.
his 3 errors were on purpose.[/quote]

If he would play SS, no one would notice that he is there, until he gets up to the plate.

A's just made another huge trade.

They gave up Joe Blanton to the Phillies for Adrian Cardenas (rated 2nd best prospect in their system by Baseball America), Josh Outman (rated 4th best prospect by BA) and Matt Spencer.

[quote name='integralsmatic'] I was reading on Metsblog that Wright was pushing to pitch in the game if needed. My day or infact week would have been made if i got to see that lol.[/quote]
I haven't seen in a long time a non-pitcher pitching in a game.

[quote name='TheRock88']A's just made another huge trade.

They gave up Joe Blanton to the Phillies for Adrian Cardenas (rated 2nd best prospect in their system by Baseball America), Josh Outman (rated 4th best prospect by BA) and Matt Spencer.[/quote]

was blanton really worth that much? Boy Beane got his wish. Unloaded two of his pitchers and now has a ultra flourishing farm system. I almost want to say the As won in this trade. Im not completely sold on Blanton either. He has been sucking ass this year as of late. 5-12 to give up that much....The Phillies are trying to make a huge push now.

[quote name='TheRock88']A's just made another huge trade.

They gave up Joe Blanton to the Phillies for Adrian Cardenas (rated 2nd best prospect in their system by Baseball America), Josh Outman (rated 4th best prospect by BA) and Matt Spencer.[/quote]

was blanton really worth that much? Boy Beane got his wish. Unloaded two of his pitchers and now has a ultra flourishing farm system. I almost want to say the As won in this trade. Im not completely sold on Blanton either. He has been sucking ass this year as of late. 5-12 to give up that much....The Phillies are trying to make a huge push now.

no he isn't worth that much imo..but how good are these prospects really? Where does the phils minor league system match up with the rest of the league. It looks like they were rated high in the phils system. Adrian is a 2b and they have utley. They also gave up a lhp in outman, but baseball america has him slated to be a #5 starter in 2011, and they didn't even have adrian on the team. So no it wasn't worth trading you better prospects on blanton, but in the end your prospects don't appear to be highly valued, and you really have no spot for them on your team.

[quote name='TheEyecon']I haven't seen in a long time a non-pitcher pitching in a game.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the Rays did it last season.

[quote name='st0neface']I'm pretty sure the Rays did it last season.[/quote]

Last week or a few weeks ago, the Mariners back up catcher pitched an inning of relief in extras. He was to loser in the game too.

[quote name='ryanbph']no he isn't worth that much imo..but how good are these prospects really? Where does the phils minor league system match up with the rest of the league. It looks like they were rated high in the phils system. Adrian is a 2b and they have utley. They also gave up a lhp in outman, but baseball america has him slated to be a #5 starter in 2011, and they didn't even have adrian on the team. So no it wasn't worth trading you better prospects on blanton, but in the end your prospects don't appear to be highly valued, and you really have no spot for them on your team.[/quote]

hmm i never thought of it that way. Well in this case..than the trade made major sense. Geez #5 starter in 2011? geez thats a long time to wait.

Reports are coming in that the Giants have traded Ray Durham, Jack Taschner, and a PTBNL to Milwaukee in return for Double A Catcher Angel Salome, Single A prospect Outfielder/speedster Darren Ford, and Triple A First Baseman Brad Nelson...

FINALLY SABEAN!!! Way to do something....according to Baseball America Salome is the 8th best prospect for the Brewers...whatever it is...I don't care...finally got rid of Durham...

Seriously Cubs could you score a run or two for Hardin.
He's pitched about 12 innings, given up one earned run, had 20 K's, and has an 0-1 record to show for it...

[quote name='Chitown021']Seriously Cubs could you score a run or two for Hardin.
He's pitched about 12 innings, given up one earned run, had 20 K's, and has an 0-1 record to show for it...[/quote]

Harden really is impressive when he is healthy, he had my Diamondback's scratching their heads.

Ok, I call Shenanigans on the D'Backs... In the past two nights the Cubs have really stroked several pitches but they've all died on the track. I think AZ is "un-juicing" the ball and letting only their pitcher use them :).

:lol:

I've noticed that, Cubbies are making some good contact but the ball just dies.

This one isn't over yet, Diamondbacks can carry a game until late innings but then they tend to fall apart. Often losing good leads in the 8th or 9th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back