The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
So let's sum this up, Gamestop is a crappy company who can't get basic things like marketing done correctly. The employees generally don't know dick all and probably have as much experience behind the register as you do. You are dumb for signing on a trade without paying attention to what it said.

Nobody wins, everyone loses. Congratulations.
and we are all dumber for having read it all

Last edited by a moderator:
@izembo

Update: called another Gamestop, they are fully aware of the promo, said it should be working in the system, that if it wasn’t the store should have manually adjusted it for me, and they’re going to contact the store I went to and explain the promo and how to fix it for me.

They also clarified when I asked that a preorder is a purchase. It’s a “prepurchase.”
They're wrong, but whatever. not arguing with a brick wall.

@izembo

Update: called another Gamestop, they are fully aware of the promo, said it should be working in the system, that if it wasn’t the store should have manually adjusted it for me, and they’re going to contact the store I went to and explain the promo and how to fix it for me.

They also clarified when I asked that a preorder is a purchase. It’s a “prepurchase.”
Just call in or get on chat. It might take a few tries… over a few days, but eventually you get someone who will listen. My experience is that they give you the difference in points or something.

They're wrong, but whatever. not arguing with a brick wall.
Or you could have even an ounce of humility and admit that you were wrong.

Get this, guys, I'm the brickwall even though Gamestop admitted the promo is active, valid, and counts towards a preorder of the game.

Just call in or get on chat. It might take a few tries… over a few days, but eventually you get someone who will listen. My experience is that they give you the difference in points or something.
All I had to do was call another local Gamestop who had kinder, more intelligent employees who told me that the promo should have been applied and then called over to the other store and sorted it out for me!

You should definitely go to that other store you called. Sounds like a unicorn.
After the experience I had at the earlier store, the kindness and intelligence of the two employees I spoke to at the store I called gave me faith in humanity. The guy even told me to come to his store next time. The issue as he described it was that because of the trade-ins, I’d have to go to the original store since they wouldn’t be inventoried at his store.

I also didn’t mention: the first store told me they couldn’t take my copy of Sekiro because one of the plastic corners of the case was broken. I didn’t know it until I spoke to a friend later on but apparently you don’t even need a case for them to take games for trade-in?? I asked them if they had an extra PS4 case I could move the paper cover slip and disc into and they said no (which is absurd) so instead I just moved my Dark Souls Remastered into the broken case and swapped it with Sekiro. They clearly didn’t want to do any work and were just giving me a hard time.

I can't believe how so many people even on here are completely oblivious when trading or buying. So many complaints about getting the wrong trade values, or employees "sneaking" gpgs onto purchases. Are y'all just total airheads or something?

Rookie mistake didnt check the values on the pin pad before signing skill issue
I shop at GameStop maybe once a year at best. Even if I didn’t know to check it on the pad, if they made a mistake not applying the promo they can and should manually adjust it. You’re all acting like it’s set in stone, lol. This is a point of service in a retail store, mistakes by bother the customer and store happen every day across retail. In normal situations the employees work to correct mistakes.

No, they cant and shouldnt.  They can literally get fired.  Promos are automatic, stop acting like the first store was wrong.  You found a store that went against policy and took care of you, that's fine.  but that IS NOT POLICY.  POLICY IS PURCHASE.  preorder is NOT a purchase.  GS literally FIRES employees if they adjust too many trade values no matter the reason.

I know to check promos and values before signing anything.  And i know what the difference between a preorder and a purchase is.  You can keep asking till someone gives you the answer you want, that does NOT mean the answer is correct.   GS is a shit company doing shit things, always will.

No, they cant and shouldnt. They can literally get fired. Promos are automatic, stop acting like the first store was wrong. You found a store that went against policy and took care of you, that's fine. but that IS NOT POLICY. POLICY IS PURCHASE. preorder is NOT a purchase. GS literally FIRES employees if they adjust too many trade values no matter the reason.

I know to check promos and values before signing anything. And i know what the difference between a preorder and a purchase is. You can keep asking till someone gives you the answer you want, that does NOT mean the answer is correct. GS is a shit company doing shit things, always will.
“ GS is a shit company doing shit things, always will.”
We agree!

I’m not asking anything at this point. I have a brain and I know that stores of all sorts have the very simple ability to honor their advertisements (you can keep insisting this promo which started on 5/7 as stated in the ad hasn’t started yet, but that doesn’t make you right) and can adjust prices in their POS if mistakes are made. By your logic, if a trade-in rang up as $1 million, well I guess I just got rich in Gamestop credit or cash if I’d chosen that option? GameStop would have no way of changing that value- it’s set in stone, everyone!

You’re being obtuse and have an obsession with this idea that “policy” is law and unchangeable. As I said, managers at many stores of all types often have latitude to make pricing adjustments as mistakes are made, deals can be honored, customers can be satisfied, etc.

“ GS is a shit company doing shit things, always will.”
We agree!

I’m not asking anything at this point. I have a brain and I know that stores of all sorts have the very simple ability to honor their advertisements (you can keep insisting this promo which started on 5/7 as stated in the ad hasn’t started yet, but that doesn’t make you right) and can adjust prices in their POS if mistakes are made. By your logic, if a trade-in rang up as $1 million, well I guess I just got rich in Gamestop credit or cash if I’d chosen that option? GameStop would have no way of changing that value- it’s set in stone, everyone!

You’re being obtuse and have an obsession with this idea that “policy” is law and unchangeable. As I said, managers at many stores of all types often have latitude to make pricing adjustments as mistakes are made, deals can be honored, customers can be satisfied, etc.
why you are still going on about this

No, they cant and shouldnt. They can literally get fired. " Promos are automatic" , stop acting like the first store was wrong. You found a store that went against policy and took care of you, that's fine. but that IS NOT POLICY. POLICY IS PURCHASE. preorder is NOT a purchase. GS literally FIRES employees if they adjust too many trade values no matter the reason.

I know to check promos and values before signing anything. And i know what the difference between a preorder and a purchase is. You can keep asking till someone gives you the answer you want, that does NOT mean the answer is correct. GS is a shit company doing shit things, always will.
The promos have always been inconsistent and buggy. This one being in error aside because of the company's incompetence this is nothing new.

Promos are "supposed to be automatic" but don't always work the way they should. Acting like they always do is just flat out asinine especially of someone who supposedly works there.

I preordered Zelda only for the bonus and will move the money to Sonic Origins. Was able to get a good deal on Metroid prime + Zelda from Target ($76.89 for both).

Rather have the controller than the collectors edition.

Apparently GS will be handing out "Golden Tickets" for those waiting in line starting 10-12pm to upgrade to the Tears CE.  :fridge:

I kinda wonder if the trade 2 towards Zelda isn't working because it's still applying the 20% towards a pre order. Either way I think I'll sit out the incompetence that is gamestop for this launch. Hopefully I can just score the controller online somewhere.

i don't know if they are trying to make that trade 2 promo look better but pretty much all of the decent trade in values have dropped about 10 to 15%. it could just be normal value changes since it is Tuesday, but man 90% of the values i've been watching went down and most of them had been pretty steady for a while.

that's normal, trade prices are supply and demand so as more people trade things the stock goes up and the trade value goes down.  it's also guaranteed value for the promo anyways once sales start so it doesn't matter what the base is.

Any chance you'll be able to trade in 4 games for $100 on a single Zelda purchase? I'm guessing multiple would need to be purchased to get the bonus on more than 2 games correct?

Just picked up a copy of last of us remastered for $8 at Walmart. Damn shame you won't be able to trade in 2 copies of the same game for that deal. I'll just pair it with my last of us part 2 I got for $10 on black Friday

Just picked up a copy of last of us remastered for $8 at Walmart. Damn shame you won't be able to trade in 2 copies of the same game for that deal. I'll just pair it with my last of us part 2 I got for $10 on black Friday
Might depend on the GS. I seem to be able to trade up to 2 copies of the same game at once but YMMV because GS employees interprete policies incorrectly sometimes.

But the policy is explicitly 1 copy per person per day.  The only mixed part is if stores count different consoles of the same as as the same game or not. 

I got offered to upgrade to the Zelda TOTK CE at my local gamestop, guess I'll trade some stuff in lol. I think they called the people that pre-ordered the Zelda switch in-store. Since I got mine from that same store, and did a pre-order on the game to get the 20% boost.

But the policy is explicitly 1 copy per person per day. The only mixed part is if stores count different consoles of the same as as the same game or not.
i think it’s YMMV , sure 1 copy per day per person is the policy but some GameStop employees might not care and just allow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered some switch games during the b1g1 sale a few weeks ago. Gamestop shipped 3 of the 4 games pretty quickly, but the 4th still hasn't shipped. I emailed Gamestop support email and I was told they are out of stock of the 4th game and if it comes back in stock they will ship it. Alternatively, I could request a refund. The only concern I have with a refund is that I used Gamestop store credit for the purchase. I feel like Gamestop will have some technical problem and the credit will be lost.

Anyone have an experience similar to this? The 4th game was Mario Golf for switch. I'm fine with waiting if I knew I would actually get a copy, but will they really restock that game?

I ordered some switch games during the b1g1 sale a few weeks ago. Gamestop shipped 3 of the 4 games pretty quickly, but the 4th still hasn't shipped. I emailed Gamestop support email and I was told they are out of stock of the 4th game and if it comes back in stock they will ship it. Alternatively, I could request a refund. The only concern I have with a refund is that I used Gamestop store credit for the purchase. I feel like Gamestop will have some technical problem and the credit will be lost.

Anyone have an experience similar to this? The 4th game was Mario Golf for switch. I'm fine with waiting if I knew I would actually get a copy, but will they really restock that game?
was Mario golf the “free” game? if so they might just cancel it and be like well we didn’t charge you anything technically. that happened to me before. again YMMV in this scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this happen with a copy of Odin sphere I ordered March 24th some how I didn’t get it until May 8th. I contacted cs about it they never responded.

My local store confirmed that every store around is low on supply on the Zelda plaques. I can't pick my game up until tomorrow evening. If they're out of the plaque at that point then I'll just cancel my order. I still haven't even played Breath of the Wild yet; I can wait until I can get a good deal on Tears.

My local store confirmed that every store around is low on supply on the Zelda plaques. I can't pick my game up until tomorrow evening. If they're out of the plaque at that point then I'll just cancel my order. I still haven't even played Breath of the Wild yet; I can wait until I can get a good deal on Tears.
Either my store likes me or they got enough. Last night I got the call about the midnight release. Told them there was no way I could stay up for that and I’d pick it up Friday. No problem, I’ll put a plaque aside for you.

:wall:

Called my store to ask about their plaque stock and it's the junior associate who doesn't know me who answers and not the manager who I've interacted with for years, and he doesn't know anything about their numbers. Can't get there until lunch tomorrow, but I may just go then and see if I can snag an in-store CE with trade bonus and return my online order. He said they got 7. Probably an exercise in futility but wth.

I'm back from pre-ring, confirming:
CE's are available instore. I switched my standard preorder over to a CE.
2/$50 tiv promo is live.  I tried adding a third item from the list and saw it ring up with no bonus at all aside from pro.
I saw the store's shipment of cutting boards get opened and the box held maybe ~40-50 total.

Same upgraded my pre-order to the CE, got the zelda case and amiibo also. Traded in Sekiro and The Last of Us Part II and got $26.40 for each. Also they were offering half off the gamestop warranty on the game.

bread's done
Back