The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Same. Really thought they were going to lean in on retro gaming and accept trade-ins via mail over the pandemic. Instead, they wiped out retro to focus on stuffies and statues. RIP
They couldn't adequately keep fakes and reproduction carts from being accepted as trade ins so the whole thing was a bit of a disaster. Trade-ins by mail would definitely help with that, but I can only imagine how poorly gamestop would run that too.

They couldn't adequately keep fakes and reproduction carts from being accepted as trade ins so the whole thing was a bit of a disaster. Trade-ins by mail would definitely help with that, but I can only imagine how poorly gamestop would run that too.
True. To properly process trade ins, they would need knowledge to identify counterfeits and the ability to test games. They do not even test games now so obviously asking anything else would be too much.

Is there a deadline for something I missed?
There was a comment on the GS Reddit that redeemed certs won't work on POSA/currency starting the 26th. Who knows if it's 100% true but I didn't want to chance it. Don't really have much else use for the points as it is other than currency.

Gamestop employee tried to upcharge pro from 15 dollars to 25 today. Look at your receipts when you renew in case it happens to you too.

There was a comment on the GS Reddit that redeemed certs won't work on POSA/currency starting the 26th. Who knows if it's 100% true but I didn't want to chance it. Don't really have much else use for the points as it is other than currency.
izembo also confirmed it in this thread last week.

I don't know how they will talk anybody into this new program. I renewed my membership every time they offered free points so I am good until the end of time but they seem to be killing all the good deals. I miss Elite Pro. 

I don't know how they will talk anybody into this new program. I renewed my membership every time they offered free points so I am good until the end of time but they seem to be killing all the good deals. I miss Elite Pro.
“$70 value for only $25”. Expect reduction in benefits after the holidays when they’ve convinced parents to join.

Same here. I don't know why more people didn't do it if they had the points because you get them right back; I brought it up a lot when it was going on but there was barely any discussion about it.
I think some were trying to “cash out” out of GameStop and didn’t want another yearly subscription

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got an email saying my Pro memership will become a GameStop account.  Even though I have 6 months left on my membership.  They're discounting the new Pro to $14.99, which is still more than the $10 difference.  Pretty lame.

Got an email saying my Pro memership will become a GameStop account. Even though I have 6 months left on my membership. They're discounting the new Pro to $14.99, which is still more than the $10 difference. Pretty lame.
Are you sure?

Current PowerUp Rewards Pro Members will be automatically switched over to a GameStop Pro Membership, so there’s nothing you have to do on your end!

At least they made the decision easier to not have to renew pro. Was on the fence on whether worth another year but now they absolutely killed most of the perks so no reason to renew once mine expires in December.

Same. Really thought they were going to lean in on retro gaming and accept trade-ins via mail over the pandemic. Instead, they wiped out retro to focus on stuffies and statues. RIP
They actually just went crazy stocking up on PS4/XB1 items, to the point that they have way too many consoles, and they’re kinda screwed because everything is BC, so a PS4 or XB1 isn’t needed if you have the newer gen. They’ve dropped the price of PS4s 3x this year alone.

They didn't kill any perks. We will still get the monthly coupons. It's just the $10 price increase. People should read the FAQ before getting even more confused.
https://www.gamestop.com/faq/?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign
I'm guessing people are pissed about the double dipping and not being able to use rewards certs on currency cards. This doesn't bother me since I never double dipped and stores never honored the $5 on digital currency for me. Plus the rewards pts now expiring sucks- very hard for me to use as it was, now I have to worry about losing them.

I just hate that the free shipping for online orders is now $79. I wouldn't mind going in stores if I could ever FIND something in stock at my local stores.

real scumbag Steve move too not letting people renew who are over 3 months out from expiration.

that disqualifies me since im up during the spring 2024

If they hadn’t nuked trade values to the lowest in years here lately I could justify renewing. Most controllers trades have dropped at least $10 in the last 30 days, if trade values recover at some point I’ll renew.

My PUR membership expires on July 13, 2023, but the only option that I see online is to set up auto-renew. "All good things must come to an end."

Last edited by a moderator:
Official info from email.

pur1.jpg

I'm sure this has been mentioned before and my dumb ass missed it, but I still want to share something just in case.

I just cashed in my remaining points for an online cert, however apparently it can't be used to buy psn credit. Ah well.

I just cashed in nearly all my points at my local store today and came away with $105 in Nintendo Party Bucks. Sounds like the employees are pretty dejected about this change and went as far a calling the new plan "unsellable".

I'm sure this has been mentioned before and my dumb ass missed it, but I still want to share something just in case.

I just cashed in my remaining points for an online cert, however apparently it can't be used to buy psn credit. Ah well.
Yes I believe this was mentioned a couple days ago in the thread. You need to go in person to buy psn codes. Pretty sure that still works.

Yes I believe this was mentioned a couple days ago in the thread. You need to go in person to buy psn codes. Pretty sure that still works.
it did as of last month. I can’t confirm in may. I let my pro account expire at the end of April after losing the online $5 coupon.

I brought Zelda a few days ago using the promo trading in two games for $50 off. I haven't opened it yet, as I was able to get an CE. Can I return it for $70 back store credit??

Yeah wondering if some of these games are gone for good. Like you can still pull up the Pokemon Black/White/Soulsilver/Heartgold pages through google search, but when you click on the trade value, it gives a 'no trade value found for this item' disclaimer.

Has anybody traded in a phone today? With the extra 10% boost?

Hoping to trade in an unlocked iphone 11 for $217 base plus $21.70 bonus (i.e. $238.70 total).
The last time I traded in a phone was when they had an extra 15%. Although the phone was "pristine", I got a lower price than what was listed on the website. Then with the 15%, it came up closer to that price. Could I have asked them to adjust the price to the website price, then got the extra 15%?

Yeah wondering if some of these games are gone for good. Like you can still pull up the Pokemon Black/White/Soulsilver/Heartgold pages through google search, but when you click on the trade value, it gives a 'no trade value found for this item' disclaimer.
Gamestop is going to or already taking in retro trades again. This probably has something to do with it. Just call them up and ask for a trade in value

Some guys visited GameStops within 50 states recently by driving. They were really sick by the 30th or so visit. Thought this video was pretty funny

So they spent about $2,500 on games, misc the total trip, but only ended up saving $50.

https://youtu.be/r43-AxpR6JI

Not sure how much you redeemed and if it's worth it, but I'd say contact customer support and they can re-issue those points back so you can redeem them for instore certs. I've done that before, myself.

Not sure where to vent but figured I would post in this thread to maybe see if others had this experience.

I have shopped at Gamestop since the Babbages/Electronics Boutique era of the late 90s. It was always where I would end up hanging out whenever my parents brought me to the mall growing up (those in-store gaming kiosks were awesome). I didn't have a lot of disposable income so I would always rummage through the pre-owned games and feel like the main benefit of modern Gamestop is that it still provides the option of buying preowned games for people with lower budgets (buying preowned in person is different from Amazon/ebay preowned since you get to see what you are buying before taking it home).

Over the past 20 years or so I have shopped at Gamestop and have built up a lot of rewards points. I knew the Gamestop model would soon not be financially viable and had been debating on the right time to "cash out" those built up points on a larger hardware purchase. The news of the changes to Gamestop hit my email inbox yesterday and I knew that now was the time to use the points. I logged into my account and saw that the points were there. I tried to print out the certificates but got several error messages. I read that they said to wait 30 min before trying again. I check back in later in the day yesterday and ALL OF MY POINTS are suddenly gone. I see that they backdated an expiration day to June 2022 due to "natural expiration".

I am livid at this point as I never received any notice or warning of expiration of my points. Typically, decent businesses tell their loyal customers BEFORE these points expire. I call customer support and the first guy is basically useless just apologizing profusely but being unable to help. I could see that I would not get anywhere with him so I asked to speak to his higher up and ultimately he was able to get me about 15k points (nowhere near the number of points Gamestop stole from me) which I promptly used to buy Advance Wars 1+2 (Nintendo games at least hold value longer). 

EVERYONE BEWARE OF EXPIRING POINTS WITHOUT NOTICE! If you are not a paying (free account) rewards member then use your points now.

Not sure where to vent but figured I would post in this thread to maybe see if others had this experience.

I have shopped at Gamestop since the Babbages/Electronics Boutique era of the late 90s. It was always where I would end up hanging out whenever my parents brought me to the mall growing up (those in-store gaming kiosks were awesome). I didn't have a lot of disposable income so I would always rummage through the pre-owned games and feel like the main benefit of modern Gamestop is that it still provides the option of buying preowned games for people with lower budgets (buying preowned in person is different from Amazon/ebay preowned since you get to see what you are buying before taking it home).

Over the past 20 years or so I have shopped at Gamestop and have built up a lot of rewards points. I knew the Gamestop model would soon not be financially viable and had been debating on the right time to "cash out" those built up points on a larger hardware purchase. The news of the changes to Gamestop hit my email inbox yesterday and I knew that now was the time to use the points. I logged into my account and saw that the points were there. I tried to print out the certificates but got several error messages. I read that they said to wait 30 min before trying again. I check back in later in the day yesterday and ALL OF MY POINTS are suddenly gone. I see that they backdated an expiration day to June 2022 due to "natural expiration".

I am livid at this point as I never received any notice or warning of expiration of my points. Typically, decent businesses tell their loyal customers BEFORE these points expire. I call customer support and the first guy is basically useless just apologizing profusely but being unable to help. I could see that I would not get anywhere with him so I asked to speak to his higher up and ultimately he was able to get me about 15k points (nowhere near the number of points Gamestop stole from me) which I promptly used to buy Advance Wars 1+2 (Nintendo games at least hold value longer).

EVERYONE BEWARE OF EXPIRING POINTS WITHOUT NOTICE! If you are not a paying (free account) rewards member then use your points now.
I am guessing you didn't have a PUR account?

bread's done
Back