The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
trying to redeem a print out coupon and it is not sending me a Verification Code?  Is it possible to redeem the points in store to buy PSN credit today?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they found not many people were buying retro games? i.e. it wasnt making them money?
I suspect the opposite end of the supply/demand chain was the problem. There are only so many copies of PS1/Gamecube/SNES/etc games left to go around at this point that still work and aren't sitting, unused, on someone's shelf already -- at least games that people actually want to buy.

Has anyone else gotten this email?  Certainly doesn't sound like my paid membership is rolling into the new paid membership.

Your PowerUp Rewards Account Is Changing To A
GameStop Account​

Check out what’s new, what’s changing, & view the new terms below.

​
Term Changes

Please see Terms and Conditions for full program details. Changes go into effect on June 27, 2023.

As of June 27, 2023, the price of a GameStop Pro Membership will be
$25 per year.

Your email should have said,

"Current PowerUp Rewards Pro Members will be automatically switched over to a GameStop Pro Membership, so there’s nothing you have to do on your end! Check out what’s new, what’s changing, & view the new terms below."

Has anyone else gotten this email? Certainly doesn't sound like my paid membership is rolling into the new paid membership.

Your PowerUp Rewards Account Is Changing To A
GameStop Account

Check out what’s new, what’s changing, & view the new terms below.

Term Changes

Please see Terms and Conditions for full program details. Changes go into effect on June 27, 2023.

As of June 27, 2023, the price of a GameStop Pro Membership will be
$25 per year.
Yeah I got the same email.

I’ll just have to have faith in the system. I assume they can verify I redeemed points for a pro membership in December.

Just got back from driving across town for Dead By Daylight Nightmare edition. They had the standard disc in a NE case, delightful.

I was surprised because I went in yesterday and they asked if I wanted to renew even though I still have 6 months left. It might be just because he was in training and the guy training him was barely paying attention.

Has anyone been able to redeem their points for an in-store Rewards certificate? Still no verification email for me even for when I tried yesterday.

Has anyone been able to redeem their points for an in-store Rewards certificate? Still no verification email for me even for when I tried yesterday.
I tried this morning with no luck. I could see them having this "outage" because everyone and their brother was burning points for posa and ability to use with posa ends today.

I tried this morning with no luck. I could see them having this "outage" because everyone and their brother was burning points for posa and ability to use with posa ends today.
Yep, I'm trying to cash it in for posa too. So when are our points supposed to begin expiring again earned one year or more? Really getting worried about that and I've got nothing to buy at their stores and it looks like I have to find something fast before they're gone if they don't let us redeem by today for posa.

Yep, I'm trying to cash it in for posa too. So when are our points supposed to begin expiring again earned one year or more? Really getting worried about that and I've got nothing to buy at their stores and it looks like I have to find something fast before they're gone if they don't let us redeem by today for posa.
points start expiring Dec 1

I am guessing you didn't have a PUR account?
I have the free account version but even with that account type I would see my reward points when checking my account. I don't really understand the concept of paying extra money to be a member of a program that lets you receive back some of that money for future purchases. You pretty much HAVE to spend more money to benefit. The only conceivable benefit would be a great rewards points program which Gamestop doesn't have with their expiration policy now. I don't buy enough games from Gamestop (I just wishlist what I want and wait for my email inbox to tell me when sales occur) to justify paying for a subscription to them.

Just came back and burned through 135k points on PS and Nintendo cards. Employee was super cool/chill about it and said he's not surprised. Have 53k left now debating on if I should have just used it all... but figured doesn't hurt to have a bit saved. 

Sounds like it might be fixed now:

Just came back and burned through 135k points on PS and Nintendo cards. Employee was super cool/chill about it and said he's not surprised. Have 53k left now debating on if I should have just used it all... but figured doesn't hurt to have a bit saved.

Is that the case for Pro members as well? I've not let my membership lapse for several years and I don't want to lose any points...
Yes, you cant stockpile, they expire 1 year from earning regardless. and expire immediately upon your pro expiring

But why? Next step for a company after adding expirations to points is devaluation of said points. Airlines have done that for years and even Starbucks devalued their rewards program recently.

But why? Next step for a company after adding expirations to points is devaluation of said points. Airlines have done that for years and even Starbucks devalued their rewards program recently.
Trust me, I know. Since I work in a large city and eat out for lunch/get coffee, I'm a member of a few dozen restaurants and they've all gotten worse over the past 1-2 yrs (Dunkin was honestly the biggest drop in value for me, SBux is next).

My issue with GS points is that there's never anything good to spend on for me. I don't do digital games so I wanted to use on my something physical but didn't see anything good. I bought about $55 in Nintendo (adding to the $50 I already have) and $80 in PS store (on top of the $95 I have sitting) just to use up the bulk of my points. Clerk said you can keep doing this until the new rules come into play and since my sub can be renewed tomorrow, gonna try another store to use my pts to renew and then burn the rest- hopefully on something physical I want at the other store and if not, more points.

someone mentioned that one of the future changes is not being able to use more than one pur reward per transaction. Is that correct?
Do you mean one period? Because outside of the certs you'd only have 1 per month to ever use and certs have always prevented you from redeeming more than 1 of the same denomination and iirc could only stack say 5 15 50 or whatever and not 5 5 15.

Finally redeemed for in-store certificates but that was only after I called GameStop and they changed my email to an alternate email address. Now I have to get to a store before it closes.

Do you mean one period? Because outside of the certs you'd only have 1 per month to ever use and certs have always prevented you from redeeming more than 1 of the same denomination and iirc could only stack say 5 15 50 or whatever and not 5 5 15.
I was thinking they were saying that you could no longer use more than 1 regardless of denomination. I will know next week when the trigun donut funko comes out.

Got to the store to redeem my Rewards certificate to buy a posa card but the purchase just wouldn't go through. It's possible they already implemented blocking posa from being purchased already and it's got me really bummed.

If posa are the codes they print on the receipt, I was able to use the monthly $5 and a $5 reward certificate towards one for PSN today.

what posa card did you try to buy? it'll only work on gaming ones
I tried to get Xbox and the sales guy tried psn too but none of them worked. Wonder if it would have worked yesterday when I tried to redeem points for an in-store certificate but they refused to email a verification. Looks like I'm out of luck on using my points on posa unless tomorrow it's still working.

Somehow my local GS already has 4 preowned copies of Zelda when they never seem to have anything else. Wonder if these are new copies that have been gutted?

Either way I ordered 1 for pickup and used my $15 coupon. $50 + tax for Zelda sounds good.

Got to the store to redeem my Rewards certificate to buy a posa card but the purchase just wouldn't go through. It's possible they already implemented blocking posa from being purchased already and it's got me really bummed.

My didn't went through too. I tried the $50 psn card.
Around what time did you guys try this? I was able to do it just before noon CST on Friday.

Around what time did you guys try this? I was able to do it just before noon CST on Friday.
Got there half an hour before closing. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the darn email verification to work to redeem points towards an in-store certificate till just before then. I'm thinking of visiting a store just to see if yesterday was the last day. Most likely it was but I can only dream.

I was just at GameStop and my buddies who work there told me that you will need to be a pro member to preorder any sort of collectors edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like the kind of thing employees will tell customers - whether or not it’s true.

Might as well lock new console preorders and all preorder bonuses behind the pro paywall too.

bread's done
Back