The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I hate when sites do not let you remove your credit card information because it is your default method. I would love a way around this. (Not saying Game Stop does this but other sites do.)
Do you have capital one? You can put one of their autogenerated numbers with an expiration and $1 limit.

I also think you can jsut put any old visa gift card.

Say you place an order for in store pickup this morning and get the email confirmation. But when you click on the view order details in the email now, it shows order not found.

Does this likely mean the store cancelled the order and no email will be sent saying so?

Say you place an order for in store pickup this morning and get the email confirmation. But when you click on the view order details in the email now, it shows order not found.

Does this likely mean the store cancelled the order and no email will be sent saying so?
I assume the website is wrong/broken. Feel free to call the store if you’re worried about wasting a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-owned prices go up or just me? Saw Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remakes in store today going for $24.99. I remember seeing them for $13.99 a few weeks ago.

I have never seen a pro day or week with a sale that actually brought me in to buy something. It's always headsets, collectables, and toys. The video games they put on sale are never priced low enough for me to bite. They usually relatively new releases that will hit those prices by the end of the year anyway.

I just redeemed my PUR points for an in-store cert and the verification code was sent right away (a few CAGers mentioned that their codes took a long time to show up). The expire date on the cert is 8.31.2023.

^ same but FYI on the redeem page it said the code expires JULY 31. I would just use it before then just to avoid any potential headaches and frustrations.
I asked the cashier when my coupon will expire and she said 8.31.2023. I tried to use my PUR points coupon with my $5 PUR monthly coupon on an Xbox $10 gift card and it did not work (knew it would not work ahead of time, but wanted to try to see if it would work this month), so I used the PUR points coupon on a physical item. The $5 PUR monthly coupon still works on Xbox gift cards but who knows for how long.

I asked the cashier when my coupon will expire and she said 8.31.2023. I tried to use my PUR points coupon with my $5 PUR monthly coupon on an Xbox $10 gift card and it did not work (knew it would not work ahead of time, but wanted to try to see if it would work this month), so I used the PUR points coupon on a physical item. The $5 PUR monthly coupon still works on Xbox gift cards but who knows for how long.
I found late on the last day of 5/26 they weren't going to let people redeem for a PSN/Xbox/eShop card so I'm stuck my PUR points coupon. Wonder if I can get it converted back to points as I want the freedom of getting the appropriate certificate for in-store or online purchase.

Are online certificates used for online and in-store pickup purchases and in-store certificates in-store only? So for in-store pickup and online purchases, the balance can't be zero or else the order won't go through but it's perfectly alright when buying in-store. Is that right?

If I'm buying 3 $19.99 games in-store, can I use a $50 and $10 or is it one coupon per item and can I use the $5 PUR monthly coupon so I redeem for a $50 and $5 certificates instead?

Lastly, what happens when certificates expire and you don't buy anything? Does the points return to the account?

There are so many intricacies to these certificates that I'm getting different answers from different salespeople I ask and some of them are managers.

I found late on the last day of 5/26 they weren't going to let people redeem for a PSN/Xbox/eShop card so I'm stuck my PUR points coupon. Wonder if I can get it converted back to points as I want the freedom of getting the appropriate certificate for in-store or online purchase.

1. Are online certificates used for online and in-store pickup purchases and in-store certificates in-store only?

2. So for in-store pickup and online purchases, the balance can't be zero or else the order won't go through but it's perfectly alright when buying in-store. Is that right?

3. If I'm buying 3 $19.99 games in-store, can I use a $50 and $10 or is it one coupon per item and can I use the $5 PUR monthly coupon so I redeem for a $50 and $5 certificates instead?

4.Lastly, what happens when certificates expire and you don't buy anything? Does the points return to the account?

There are so many intricacies to these certificates that I'm getting different answers from different salespeople I ask and some of them are managers.
Sorry, I had to # your questions.

1. In-store certs only work in-store and online certs only work online. The $5 monthly PUR coupon works both online and in-store, but if you do in-store pick up and your order gets cancelled, you have to contact CS to get your points back.

2. Correct

3. Corrected in bottom comment.

4. When certs expire, you lose your points. I would contact CS to ask back for your points before your cert expires.

Sorry, I had to # your questions.

1. In-store certs only work in-store and online certs only work online. The $5 monthly PUR coupon works both online and in-store, but if you do in-store pick up and your order gets cancelled, you have to contact CS to get your points back.

2. Correct

3. You can use the 3 coupons that you mentioned in one transaction.

4. When certs expire, you lose your points. I would contact CS to ask back for your points before your cert expires.
Thanks so much for the clarification on so many questions. I just want to know one more thing. So if I want to order something for in-store pickup, do I have to get an online certificate?

pretty sure you can not split a certificate amongst multiple items. so if you buy a $20 item with a $50 certificate it is gone, and then you are still on the hook for the other games.

at least that is the way it used to be when i used to use certs on games.

pretty sure you can not split a certificate amongst multiple items. so if you buy a $20 item with a $50 certificate it is gone, and then you are still on the hook for the other games.

So you're saying they limit you to one certificate per item. That's what one guy told me in one store during Black Friday while I was able to apply multiple coupons in another store just as long as I don't use 2 certificates of the same denomination in that transaction?

So you're saying they limit you to one certificate per item. That's what one guy told me in one store during Black Friday while I was able to apply multiple coupons in another store just as long as I don't use 2 certificates of the same denomination in that transaction?
it is not necessarily 1 certificate per item, its just the certificate value can't be more than the cost of the single items or it goes to waste.

My bad, after reading ritchardf's comment, he is correct. I forgot that crazy rule about the certs. Your example where you use a $50 cert and a $10 cert will not work for 3 $19 games in 1 transaction. You would have to split them up to a $15 cert and a $5 cert to cover your $19 game. But you can't use a $15 cert and a $5 cert more than once in the same store.

I guess in that case, the salesguy who told me I couldn't use a $50 certificate to buy multiple games was right. I just ended up buying one $19.99 game on Black Friday using a $15 and a $5 coupon that day and did the same the next day on another $19.99 game.

All these arcane rules just makes cashing in points so much harder and GameStop ends up selling fewer games.

FYI if you plan on trading anything prior to Pro day.

Pro members will get 20% extra trade credit instead of 10% during Pro week. There is another Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Select new games like the one a few months ago. I wasn’t able to see what game’s qualify unfortunately.

Pro members will get 20% extra trade credit instead of 10% during Pro week. There is another Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Select new games like the one a few months ago. I wasn’t able to see what game’s qualify unfortunately.
Does pro week start Sunday?

Watch them tank trade in values to pay for that boost.

Just the ones that are redeemed with points. The monthly coupons still work on digital currency in-store. Maybe that'll change in the future.

Does anyone know if canceling a pre order once a game is already out hurts an associates numbers? I have street fighter 6 pre ordered but would like to get something else but don’t want to hurt his numbers since this associate has done everything he could for me for months and is the best Gamestop worker I have ever met.

Does anyone know if canceling a pre order once a game is already out hurts an associates numbers? I have street fighter 6 pre ordered but would like to get something else but don’t want to hurt his numbers since this associate has done everything he could for me for months and is the best Gamestop worker I have ever met.
yes, every cancel hurts their numbers. Just cancel if you dont want it anyways though.

I understand you bud. Only reason I go to GameStop is cause of this one guy that’s been helping me for 10 years . I typically move a preorder so it don’t hurt his numbers . GameStop would have been dead to me if it weren’t for him .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets hope we can still re-up Pro for $15 during Pro week.. anyone get a whiff of the deals or maybe a renewal bonus?  :shock:

bread's done
Back