The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I was hoping more Nintendo exclusives would be apart of Pro week… maybe I missed them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely will check this out tomorrow & report some results.

Have a Series S & Series X. The X is a launch one with an extended warranty ending in November, and the S was a freebie from an internet upgrade. If I can dump the X now for $420 flat instead of $370-$400 after fees somewhere, I might as well. I can use the S until I'm gaming on a TV and then get the X + extended warranty again.

Definitely will check this out tomorrow & report some results.

Have a Series S & Series X. The X is a launch one with an extended warranty ending in November, and the S was a freebie from an internet upgrade. If I can dump the X now for $420 flat instead of $370-$400 after fees somewhere, I might as well. I can use the S until I'm gaming on a TV and then get the X + extended warranty again.
Prepare to be disappointed. We shall see in about an hour if they nuked the trade in values :cold:

Is your account setup for auto renew? I know from the GS Reddit it's been said accounts setup for auto renew can't renew with points.
My account is not set to auto renew and I cannot renew with points. Associate tried in store and it gave him an error, now I got stuck with a code that's unredeemable. Haven't got around to calling customer service because I usually don't have 3 hours to spare during the course of a work day.

My account is not set to auto renew and I cannot renew with points. Associate tried in store and it gave him an error, now I got stuck with a code that's unredeemable. Haven't got around to calling customer service because I usually don't have 3 hours to spare during the course of a work day.
customer service answered immediately and got my points refunded within 15 minutes. its really not as bad as you think

Just a heads up starting today Gamestop will be accepting a large selection of some retro trade ins again. They should announce it with ads in the coming weeks. You can find a large selection of some retro trade ins on their website now with more being added as I type this. Majority of the trade values for retro products still look like crap so I would try to offload your retro collection before Gamestop.

customer service answered immediately and got my points refunded within 15 minutes. its really not as bad as you think
I've found their their CS is usually good regarding issues with points redemption... not great, but good. But when it comes to late shipments (label printed, no shipment or non-shipment) or lost items- they're awful.

Looks like the Xbox prices didn't tank.

Next random question, can you give them a Xbox One controller vs the Series S/X version? I'd rather give up one that is a bit looser than a newer controller.

Any good pickups anyone had for the B1G1?
I wast thinking of Valkyrie Elysium and Star Ocean for PS5 for $15 each.
You’d have to have enough games of equal value to get over $79, so in your situation you’d need 6 $30 games or some other accessory.

Whoever thought changing a free shipping threshold to be that high at a store that predominantly sells items under $79 is a moron.

Trade in value for PS5 and Series X is $350 base, $385 with 10% pro bonus, and theoretical $420 with 10% pro week bonus.  Although not sure if that works on consoles.

Not a bad time to upgrade if you get $420, the God of War PS5 bundle is currently $499 everywhere including gamestop and in stock everywhere.  

Always fun to go to the one GS in an OK neighborhood in Philly and it wasn’t even open. Lights were on but doors were locked.

The ones in the suburbs here love to charge refurb fees over nothing. One tried to charge a fee for a few light scratches on the bezel of a Switch pro controller.

Always fun to go to the one GS in an OK neighborhood in Philly and it wasn’t even open. Lights were on but doors were locked.

The ones in the suburbs here love to charge refurb fees over nothing. One tried to charge a fee for a few light scratches on the bezel of a Switch pro controller.
A lot of GS stores don't have restrooms and run single person shifts at certain hours. GameStop management expects them to lock the store and run to the nearest fast food place just to relieve themselves.

A lot of GS stores don't have restrooms and run single person shifts at certain hours. GameStop management expects them to lock the store and run to the nearest fast food place just to relieve themselves.
Don’t get me wrong I’m blaming corporate more than the store. But this wasn’t the situation you mentioned, they were still closed 2+ hours into the day (supposed to open at 10am EST).

Just a heads up guys, make sure to check cashback sites. Rakuten was 10% for me and GS reported it as the pre-discount price... so I got $6 back on my B1G1 purchase of Valkyrie PS5 and Star Ocean PS5. 

It’s like a clown show with this company locally…

Two stores refused to do system trade ins (or any accessories) because they don’t have a means to test them 🙄

It’s like a clown show with this company locally…

Two stores refused to do system trade ins (or any accessories) because they don’t have a means to test them
That's a new one, I've heard that for accessories before when the tester breaks but never entire consoles.

That's a new one, I've heard that for accessories before when the tester breaks but never entire consoles.
To be fair it was another 1 person store but still. There was nobody there either, and telling somebody to go to the next store 30 minutes away is kinda silly too. I would call in to ask if a store is open or can take trades but nobody ever answers.

Weird that out of the half dozen stores I can get to, not a single one of them show online as having the 2 game I want to get. They'll have one game in one out-of-the-way neighborhood I never go to and the second in another. Wish every store have a copy of each B1G1 game before they run a sale and wish those copies were still sealed.

Yeah I’m 99% sure it will drop tomorrow.

I’m prob too lazy to go but… if I do can I just sign out or do I have to factory reset everything. In case I show up and they’ve already dropped the price this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/billbil_kun/status/1666006418900631554?cxt=HHwWhIC-gduA7J4uAAAA

Starfield console, please.

#Believe :pray:

So with the bonus $210 for series s? It's a nice little budget console, but I think I'm going to trade it in. Probably the most we'll ever get

Does Gamestop not even carry used copies of Super Mario 3D All-Stars?

Is there anything wrong with the God of War PS5 disc bundle or is just there too much stock now?  $499.99 and a free digital copy of Ragnarok seems like a deal.

I put two 50 dollar games and two 30 dollar games, of course the cart doesn't group the two expensive ones together for b1g1 and gives the two cheapest free for the worst deal, when anywhere else automatically groups for the best deal...classic gamestop

Does Gamestop not even carry used copies of Super Mario 3D All-Stars?

Is there anything wrong with the God of War PS5 disc bundle or is just there too much stock now? $499.99 and a free digital copy of Ragnarok seems like a deal.
To the first question: Gamestop stopped selling Mario 3D All-Stars, but you can still trade them in at $35 base (that is, the value before any bonuses).

To the second question: There's nothing wrong with the PS5 bundle. If anything, it shows that demand for the consoles seem to be cooling off a bit.

To the first question: Gamestop stopped selling Mario 3D All-Stars, but you can still trade them in at $35 base (that is, the value before any bonuses).

To the second question: There's nothing wrong with the PS5 bundle. If anything, it shows that demand for the consoles seem to be cooling off a bit.
Thank you, I still don't quite understand. Is Gamestop just going to sit on the traded in copies of Mario 3D All-Stars?

Ah man, I was hoping for some sort of irrational excuse to hold off longer on getting a PS5. Something along the lines, if it was an earlier model; so it uses older chips and might sound like a jet engine.

Thank you, I still don't quite understand. Is Gamestop just going to sit on the traded in copies of Mario 3D All-Stars?

Ah man, I was hoping for some sort of irrational excuse to hold off longer on getting a PS5. Something along the lines, if it was an earlier model; so it uses older chips and might sound like a jet engine.
I'm not sure what Gamestop will do with them. But it was Nintendo's hopes to make Mario 3D All-Stars a limited release. Nintendo has even removed it from further purchases on the eShop, allowing only people who already bought it digitally, to be able to play it digitally and download/re-download it. Due to these restrictions, physical copies of Mario 3D All-Stars are currently going $70-$100+ on eBay.

Any time they get this game, it sells pretty fast considering that online (like the other person said) it goes for $70+. I'm sure that game rarely sits in stock very long since it's available on the website, meaning it probably is sold as fast as it's entered into inventory.

Any time they get this game, it sells pretty fast considering that online (like the other person said) it goes for $70+. I'm sure that game rarely sits in stock very long since it's available on the website, meaning it probably is sold as fast as it's entered into inventory.
Pretty sure they removed it from their website to buy.

I think I'm done with this crap company. Tired of pre-ordering from them to get a bonus only for said bonus to not be available come release day. Didn't get my Zelda ToTK item b/c they gave them all away by the time I got there and now the same thing again for Diablo 4. I had Mortal Kombat 1 preordered from them but I'm going to cancel and switch to Best Buy now. At least I know I'll get the steelbook from them and won't have to drive to a store to get it either.

Damn, I'm tempted to trade in my Series S so I can upgrade my AMD processor...except the processors at Gamestop's website are a bit more expensive than other retailers (it was more competitive during holiday 2022). Does anyone know if you can do an in-store PM and have them ship a computer part to the store or is that not a thing?

I don't mind sitting on the credit and waiting for a sale. I'm feeling this is probably the best trade-in deal I can get for my console considering Gamestop is changing things up again.

If a pre-order bonus is that important you can always just let the store staff know you are a big fan of a series and see if they would hold one for you.

Should you need to do that? No but this is the reality of the situation. If you are even slightly personable they will usually do it.

Damn, I'm tempted to trade in my Series S so I can upgrade my AMD processor...except the processors at Gamestop's website are a bit more expensive than other retailers (it was more competitive during holiday 2022). Does anyone know if you can do an in-store PM and have them ship a computer part to the store or is that not a thing?

I don't mind sitting on the credit and waiting for a sale. I'm feeling this is probably the best trade-in deal I can get for my console considering Gamestop is changing things up again.
I thought the same thing last year when they did a 25% bonus promo on consoles and then the next week they offered $50 extra bonus trade on consoles.

I thought the same thing last year when they did a 25% bonus promo on consoles and then the next week they offered $50 extra bonus trade on consoles.
Oh that's right! I forgot about those nice $50 bonus for consoles! What to do, what to do...

I suppose I'll HODL. I don't need a new processor right away. I'm trying to play CP2077 at 1440p with DF's optimized settings on a Ryzen 2600/RTX 3060 Ti rig and it's not able to hold 60 even with DLSS :puke: The city sections can get pretty rough in the low-mid 40s

Oh that's right! I forgot about those nice $50 bonus for consoles! What to do, what to do...

I suppose I'll HODL. I don't need a new processor right away. I'm trying to play CP2077 at 1440p with DF's optimized settings on a Ryzen 2600/RTX 3060 Ti rig and it's not able to hold 60 even with DLSS . The city sections can get pretty rough in the low-mid 40s
The only catch was you had to go on the Sunday that the sale started because then the next day, they dropped the TIVs on all consoles that got the bonus $50.

The only catch was you had to go on the Sunday that the sale started because then the next day, they dropped the TIVs on all consoles that got the bonus $50.
Ah, see that's what I thought was going to happen this week with the 20% bonus but it didn't! A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. I guess it makes sense though with $50 flat bonus being so good vs an extra 10% with Pro.

Good news, did the Series X trade in without a hitch. Weirdly enough, this Gamestop ALSO had their monitor broken, but they didn't use that as an excuse not to do the trade. I guess I seemed trustworthy. They also were happy to take my old Xbox One controller vs the Series X one, so that was nice too.

Only negative is I left myself signed in to speed up the testing process, and now I have no way to sign out that console. Is there a place on Microsoft's site that lets you sign out any devices that were signed in previously? Or am I better off just changing passwords?

EDIT: Also gave them a Switch Pro controller that I'm almost positive I got as a throw in for a trade ages ago. Worked fine, but I know I'll never get $42 after any fees selling the thing.

Good news, did the Series X trade in without a hitch. Weirdly enough, this Gamestop ALSO had their monitor broken, but they didn't use that as an excuse not to do the trade. I guess I seemed trustworthy. They also were happy to take my old Xbox One controller vs the Series X one, so that was nice too.

Only negative is I left myself signed in to speed up the testing process, and now I have no way to sign out that console. Is there a place on Microsoft's site that lets you sign out any devices that were signed in previously? Or am I better off just changing passwords?

EDIT: Also gave them a Switch Pro controller that I'm almost positive I got as a throw in for a trade ages ago. Worked fine, but I know I'll never get $42 after any fees selling the thing.
there is a place to remove consoles from your account. i don't know if it keeps anyone from logging into that xbox though

from the my microsoft account page, it's below subscriptions and storage under devices.

there is a place to remove consoles from your account. i don't know if it keeps anyone from logging into that xbox though

from the my microsoft account page, it's below subscriptions and storage under devices.
When you remove a device from your account, if it doesn't sign you out then it should force you to enter your password/authenticate again.

bread's done
Back