The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Well I have some games I thought about trading in. These bottom-feeder trade values are preventing that from happening. Guess I’ll take them to a local shop.

Anybody trade then there old ps5 for a new ps5/digital one. You basically are paying for god of war plus taxes but your over 2 year old machine is now new. Seems like a good idea to me.

A lot of GS stores don't have restrooms and run single person shifts at certain hours. GameStop management expects them to lock the store and run to the nearest fast food place just to relieve themselves.
Still can recall during the 7th generation of consoles a great gs employee got fired for running to the Popeye’s next door to relieve himself. He had forgotten to clock out, it was only his first and last offense.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I 100% don't fault the employees having to make due with the resources given. It's a joke that a publicly traded retailer runs their business that way. The DM in this region must be running as lean as possible

It bugs me that I keep getting emails every month saying that I have a 5 dollar pro reward in my account but when I log in there's nothing actually in my account and what little points I had expired last year.

Want everyone's opinion: is saving $30-$40 for a pre-owned Oled switch worth it to you? Or would you rather spend the extra $ for a new one?

Want everyone's opinion: is saving $30-$40 for a pre-owned Oled switch worth it to you? Or would you rather spend the extra $ for a new one?
I'd either buy new, or wait until like the 27th of this month or after for the 5% off all used from Gamestop to kick in for Powerup Pro members as part of the new Powerup Pro.

I've gotten five preowned consoles in my life, three from trading online, two from buying from friends.

Not one of them didn't have some flaw to them, either an immediate flaw or one you notice after using it for some hours and eventually eye it. (Or in the Xbox 360's case, having to send in three times for Red Rings of Death).

If you can buy something new for a reasonable price, that's my recommendation.

Nah, you can get those far cheaper new from Temu, downside being it'll be a hong kong/japan model so you'll sacrifice the warranty, but hard to beat the price when they're $120+ off. Some people also sell them cheap on Ebay/Mercari. I got the Splatoon 3 OLED (new/unopened) for $240 after tax/shipping recently.

My OG switch was also bought at a massive discount. I think I paid $179 for it back in 2018 from Daily Steals (and it was another non-US switch so no warranty, but I ended up having no issues with it anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
After all the stories here of people successfully trading in busted consoles and not getting hit with a refurb fee, I don't know why anyone would consider buying a used console from GS, unless it was clearanced or a price glitch. Especially a Switch with all the joycon issues

Trying to figure out what is/isn't eligible and finding matching items of the same price is a chore with this website.

One game is only Xbox, not PS5/Switch, then I have to make sure the price is actually $29.99 and that that wasn't just the used price. If my filter is set on "New", I want to see "New" prices, not what it could be if I bought used.

Haven't seen this reported yet.. so I'll note that b1g1 in-store can be combined with the monthly $5. Picked up Star Ocean & Valkyrie for $25 total.

GameStop fired their CEO again…

https://twitter.com/theinsiderpaper/status/1666572511562063872?s=46&t=9cLV7cQIjGZ-SuBdZQF-8A
I bought 1 $30c 6/9 (nice) for $85. I was up like 24% several times throughout the day but I didn't sell as that was supposed to be my 'YOLO' :beer:

Man the free shipping minimum required for over $80 before promos is absolutely nuts. I had Uncharted Lost Legacy coll PS5 for $20 and 2 other games in my cart for value of $40 each, for the Buy1Get1 free deal on new games. I can't decide on some other games to make this free shipment workout...

Not what you asked, but I'm surprised what a step up the OLED is from my launch switch. It makes the console much more playable.
Yeah, I'm going to split one with my kid for his birthday (will technically be his) and I think the upgrade is worth the difference. He'll be using it remotely a lot so the screen quality is important.

Man the free shipping minimum required for over $80 before promos is absolutely nuts. I had Uncharted Lost Legacy coll PS5 for $20 and 2 other games in my cart for value of $40 each, for the Buy1Get1 free deal on new games. I can't decide on some other games to make this free shipment workout...
If you live in an area with a ganestop, just throw some filler in there and return it when you drive by one

I'll die on the hill of the $79 free shipping threshold being one of the dumbest retail decisions I've ever seen. Somebody thought it would increase units per order, but it's just going to tell people to buy elsewhere. And when you're talking about online, the last thing you want to tell your customers to do is leave your site once they see that $7.99 shipping charge. Nobody is going to go "damn I can't get free shipping with Tears of the Kingdom, maybe I should buy one of these $10 plushies to put me over the threshold". They're going to leave your site and go buy it elsewhere because your crappy Pro rewards program isn't worth the hassle of shopping with them for a few points when just about every other major website offers free shipping with a $70 game. 

If Gamestop was not the company with their rep and did that move, it would be idiotic, but given all we know about Gamestop and their awful practices, it's not defendable.

Also an innovative move these days would be to increase loyalty programs instead of decreasing them. Starbucks rode their loyalty program until they decided their brand was big enough to not need it, and has made theirs kinda crappy now, but they're Starbucks. Gamestop is not the Starbucks of gaming. Maybe in 2007 but not in 2023.

Amazon cranked up their free shipping threshold back in the day. Didn't work out for them; now it's back to $25.

Problem is, Gamestop isn't in a financial position to play dangerous games like that.

Amazon cranked up their free shipping threshold back in the day. Didn't work out for them; now it's back to $25.

Problem is, Gamestop isn't in a financial position to play dangerous games like that.
Oh damn I didn't realize Amazon lowered the free shipping threshold back down to $25! Never noticed since I've had Prime for many years now. Had no idea how poorly that went for them.

$GME has $1B in the bank. They're gonna burn money until something works :beer:

I think I'm done with this crap company. Tired of pre-ordering from them to get a bonus only for said bonus to not be available come release day. Didn't get my Zelda ToTK item b/c they gave them all away by the time I got there and now the same thing again for Diablo 4. I had Mortal Kombat 1 preordered from them but I'm going to cancel and switch to Best Buy now. At least I know I'll get the steelbook from them and won't have to drive to a store to get it either.
Same, when I went to pick up the associate didn't even know the game had a steelbook even though there is literally a display offerring it for preorders on the counter. Also came up empty for Zelda, Fire Emblem cards, and them selling my amiibo preorder and giving me a tough luck, go try another store. Deplorable. Plan on returning Diablo and just going digital when a sale hits. Was kinda looking forward to playing too but the preorder bonus not existing got me heated. Just took a day to settle in.

Damn, I'm tempted to trade in my Series S so I can upgrade my AMD processor...except the processors at Gamestop's website are a bit more expensive than other retailers (it was more competitive during holiday 2022). Does anyone know if you can do an in-store PM and have them ship a computer part to the store or is that not a thing?

I don't mind sitting on the credit and waiting for a sale. I'm feeling this is probably the best trade-in deal I can get for my console considering Gamestop is changing things up again.
GameStop fired their CEO again…
This throws a wrench in waiting to trade in your Xbox for the $50 bonus trade, because the last time they fired their CEO, we did not get any trade in promos for almost a whole year.

Has anyone ever tried to do the buy one get one promotion while also price matching? Saints Row is on sale at Amazon for $15. I assume the price adjustment would override any other promotions, but I'm curious if anyone has ever tried.

Has anyone ever tried to do the buy one get one promotion while also price matching? Saints Row is on sale at Amazon for $15. I assume the price adjustment would override any other promotions, but I'm curious if anyone has ever tried.
It works (tested it myself on Monday), but the order is important:

1. Ask for the price match(es) FIRST, before providing the phone number for your Pro membership.

2. After the price(es) is/are adjusted, then provide your number for Pro. Assuming both games qualify for the B1G1, the cheaper game should become free while the other game will remain at the PMed price.

In case it wasn’t mentioned recently, Xbox One Series S nets a trade in of $210 currently. Just flipped my Verizon deal one yesterday. Not sure why the trade in price is so high, but not bad if you want to offload one.

Short term things have never been worse for GS. The one positive (longer term) I see with all of these horrible changes is that they'll be forced to change leadership after terrible sales and then new management will implement better sales. That or worst case there will be a ton of clearance / sales in the future due to sitting on stock and needing to move old inventory off the shelves. 

Anyone able to order a digital reward with points? I am trying the $1 reward for 1,000 points. It emails me a verification code, I copy/paste, but then get this message:

Verify Your Identity
We're sorry, we encountered a problem preventing the redemption of your reward. Please try again soon.

I tried a second browser. Same issue.

Anyone happen to know how broken their ordering system is right now?  I bought a PS5 online this morning for in-store pickup because they had 2 left.  My credit card got a pending charge and I got the Rewards Pro membership that came with it, but 5 or so hours later I still haven't gotten an order confirmation and the order isn't in my order history.  Called the store just in case and they don't have it either.  They couldn't really do anything about it (and understandably so) and referred me to the customer service number but I'm not waiting on them.  Is this something I should just wait out or what?

Anyone happen to know how broken their ordering system is right now? I bought a PS5 online this morning for in-store pickup because they had 2 left. My credit card got a pending charge and I got the Rewards Pro membership that came with it, but 5 or so hours later I still haven't gotten an order confirmation and the order isn't in my order history. Called the store just in case and they don't have it either. They couldn't really do anything about it (and understandably so) and referred me to the customer service number but I'm not waiting on them. Is this something I should just wait out or what?
Their order system has been quite borked for a while now. Usually you at least get an order confirmation email. Did you use a cashback thing like rakuten? That might be your best method of tracking it since rakuten should have the info for when they process the order to give you the cash back to your account. unsure if other cash back things work that way as well.

Anyone happen to know how broken their ordering system is right now? I bought a PS5 online this morning for in-store pickup because they had 2 left. My credit card got a pending charge and I got the Rewards Pro membership that came with it, but 5 or so hours later I still haven't gotten an order confirmation and the order isn't in my order history. Called the store just in case and they don't have it either. They couldn't really do anything about it (and understandably so) and referred me to the customer service number but I'm not waiting on them. Is this something I should just wait out or what?
This is what it says on my account.

Our order update system is experiencing an outage. For updates, check the tracking number included in your shipping confirmation email.

Free Shipping is a deal breaker for most folks... I leave stuff in my amazon cart for weeks until it gets up to free shipping! 

Anyone confirm the "ship to home" from the in-store kiosk/website bypasses the shipping threshold?

Short term things have never been worse for GS. The one positive (longer term) I see with all of these horrible changes is that they'll be forced to change leadership after terrible sales and then new management will implement better sales. That or worst case there will be a ton of clearance / sales in the future due to sitting on stock and needing to move old inventory off the shelves.
Well, they did already just fire their CEO.

bread's done
Back