The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any insight as to when Gamestop typically runs 40% or 50% trade-in bonuses? Do they tend to be closer to the holidays?

Does anyone have any insight as to when Gamestop typically runs 40% or 50% trade-in bonuses? Do they tend to be closer to the holidays?
this was the case last year. I wouldn’t expect anything like that until November, but it could occur any time. I just know last year I had to wait a while for it to happen.

They replied and said they would send the correct region game.  Kudos to GS, as long as they follow through with what they said then I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't ordered from GS since they put in the scam policy of an $8.99 return fee. However I saw some games at some decent prices over the weekend and decided to pull the trigger. Of course, one of the games they sent me is a scratched up, disc only, region 2 copy of a PS4 game.

Is there any way around this $8.99 fee since they literally sent me a broken game from another region or is the only return option to take it in store (I think the game itself cost like $8.99 so no way I am paying that to return it). If I have to take it to the store, if i give my wife (same last name and address) the packing slip, can she return it while she is out?

I should have known this would happen - GS still continues to suck.
Wow, I just looked into that. Looks like you can return the items to the store for free, but if you ship them back, they'll charge 8.99. Yikes.

Found some GameCube games that I forgot I still had. Assuming that I'm better off trying to sell some of these (the bottom 4) locally/online vs trade in at GS, right?

20230719-131045.jpg

EDITED

If you return a game in store you won't get charged the $8.99 return fee. I can speak from personal experience

Now whether the GameStop employee that helps you knows how to process the return of an online purchase? YMMV

Found some GameCube games that I forgot I still had. Assuming that I'm better off trying to sell some of these (the bottom 4) locally/online vs trade in at GS, right?

20230719-131045.jpg
I think you’re better off selling the bottom 4 games locally/online, There’s more money to be made that way in my opinion.

Luigi’s Mansion - $16 reg, $17.60 Pro

Mario Party 4 - $15 reg, $16.50 Pro

Mario Party 5 - $18 reg, $19.80 Pro

Super Smash Bros. Melee - $15 reg, $16.50 Pro

I haven't ordered from GS since they put in the scam policy of an $8.99 return fee. However I saw some games at some decent prices over the weekend and decided to pull the trigger. Of course, one of the games they sent me is a scratched up, disc only, region 2 copy of a PS4 game.

Is there any way around this $8.99 fee since they literally sent me a broken game from another region or is the only return option to take it in store (I think the game itself cost like $8.99 so no way I am paying that to return it). If I have to take it to the store, if i give my wife (same last name and address) the packing slip, can she return it while she is out?

I should have known this would happen - GS still continues to suck.
They aren't going to have you send it back of its defective or wrong region. They will likely just offer to send you a replacement or give you a refund for the item. If they do say you need to send it in, tell them you don't want to pay the fee and you are unable to go to a physical store.

CS isn't going to try and screw you over. The policies may suck, but they are still people trying to help you.

They aren't going to have you send it back of its defective or wrong region. They will likely just offer to send you a replacement or give you a refund for the item. If they do say you need to send it in, tell them you don't want to pay the fee and you are unable to go to a physical store.

CS isn't going to try and screw you over. The policies may suck, but they are still people trying to help you.
Edit - I stand corrected. They replied almost immediately and said they would send me the correct game. This is the first time I've send an email (in the past i filled out the form and no one replied). I will edit my OP, thanks for the tip.

How long do the coupons last when you cash out points?

And how long does it take to get them after cashing points - like if I am in the store and find a game I want, can I just redeem one on my phone browser?

And how long does it take to get them after cashing points - like if I am in the store and find a game I want, can I just redeem one on my phone browser?
I always redeem for points at the register with my phone.

Employees can redeem your points for you now unless that feature hasn't rolled out everywhere.

When I redeemed my last points for a reward cert on 7/15, the expiration was set to 8/31 so I'm guessing you get until the end of the next month from the day you redeem it?

Also the website FINALLY updated and showed I'm no longer a Pro member

Anyone have experience with having to do multiple defective exchanges? I bought a Switch Lite last week and it had a dead pixel so I got them to exchange it today, but I think the new unit has the same issue. I can't tell if they're dead pixels or maybe just dust under the screen but it is kind of annoying. It is made worst by the fact that since Nintendo doesn't seal the consoles for all I know GameStop could just be giving me returned units. I dunno if the store will give me a hard time if I try calling them or if I should try reaching out to CS first instead?

About 500 points disappeared from my account but it's not showing up in the points history. I have no way to prove the points got deducted so calling them up seems pointless. Has anyone else had this happen?

And here I thought I was the only one buying the shirts. That’s mostly how gamestop has been getting my money latelyz
I haven't been looking at T-shirts anymore since I still have TONS from JINX over the years (since 2007). In a strange way, it's nice to see Gamestop upping their T-shirt design game in the absence of JINX (closed down beginning of this year).

I'm surprised GS is still around. Every time I step into one of their stores they have 1 employee standing around looking lifeless and no customers. Barely any preowned games in stock. Some t-shirts and funko pops.

20230719-131045.jpg
I have an almost BNIB copy of Melee. It's too bad about the tear in the wrap though. It's value probably went down bigly because of it so I'm like ugh I don't know what to do with this or what I can get out of it since it is no longer BNIB :bomb:

https://imgur.com/a/U5tnbQ4

Yeah, my plugin wasn't signed in for me to verify earlier, but trying to click and apply it now gives this error -

"Invalid Advertiser Id, Publisher Code, Offer, or Publisher - Advertiser Partnership Status"

But they still have a retailer page on the site (which should be visible even if not logged in).

https://www.topcashback.com/gamestop/

This is unfortunate. GS was 95% of the credit in my account

Employees can redeem your points for you now unless that feature hasn't rolled out everywhere.
Big if true. I have an account I'm locked out of online that has tens of thousand of points I can't redeem. Just been renewing Pro and getting the $5 monthly in store every month for the last 2 years.

Big if true. I have an account I'm locked out of online that has tens of thousand of points I can't redeem. Just been renewing Pro and getting the $5 monthly in store every month for the last 2 years.
It's called hyrule something, if izembo sees this we can get confirmation if it is everywhere.

Yes, GS employee told me they can now redeem points for coupons in store. Seems like a weird change though, always assumed they didn't do this before due to security/verification purposes.

Yeah, I'm definitely paranoid about that. Shady associates were already sneaking warranties onto your purchases. Keep record of your points total and don't shop with people you don't recognize.

When I redeemed my last points for a reward cert on 7/15, the expiration was set to 8/31 so I'm guessing you get until the end of the next month from the day you redeem it?
The expiration date will automatically bump back until it's used. I redeemed for a $15 cert on September 22nd, and near the end of every month, the expiration date would be pushed out until the end of the following month. I didn't actually use it until yesterday: something like 9 months after the original expiration date!

The expiration date will automatically bump forward until it's used. I redeemed for a $15 cert on September 22nd, and near the end of every month, the expiration date would be pushed out until the end of the following month. I didn't actually use it until yesterday: something like 9 months after the original expiration date!
WTF? For reals? So if I wanted to "bank" my points, I can just redeem certificates and sit on them until I decide to renew my Pro?

That's dope. I mean, I wasn't sure if certs ever had hard expiration dates since the website wasn't clear about it and even the store associate wasn't sure. Good to know though.

WTF? For reals? So if I wanted to "bank" my points, I can just redeem certificates and sit on them until I decide to renew my Pro?

That's dope. I mean, I wasn't sure if certs ever had hard expiration dates since the website wasn't clear about it and even the store associate wasn't sure. Good to know though.
this is GameStop we taking about. Don’t count on that or you’ll just end up disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back