The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Apparently, GameStop employees have reached a breaking point. Two headlines from this week:

GameStop Employee Stabbed Customer At Potomac Mills Mall: Police

Manager of Pembroke Pines GameStop arrested in fatal shooting of suspected shoplifter
Customers just wanted the original cases.

Huh, that explains why I saw e security guards stationed at one of the gamestops in NYC today . Caught me off guard and I thought it was for Spider-Man 2 release

Crazy cuz I was about to go to Potomac mills mall to return some games but the parking was so full that I went to another GS instead
Consider yourself lucky. The guy who got stabbed, they said the only thing he did to set off the employee was decline the warranty on his game.

Swagbucks that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. When p4 came out I used gift hulks gift cards for it on Amazon and Swagbucks to get I think vesperia? At Walmart since it was just a small side thing that only took like half an hour to do a day.

I would have gotten 18$ back from Rakuten if they were still available for gamestop from pro week :/
Lol swagbucks I used that back in the day as well. Did those surveys etc and saved up amazon gifts for black Friday game deals when I was younger. It was kinda a pain the azz which I stopped. Apparently my niece doing something similar. Something easier just scan receipts and get a few cents sometimes a $ as well as some minor things. I might start doing that I get a lot receipt from grocery shopping.

Edit: just seen SB has the scanning receipts looks like I'm dusting it off and see can I remember that password. While at it I regret abandoning it now after a decade. All those I couldve saved so sad

Last edited by a moderator:
They still don't have my sonic pre-order.

It's hard to not get annoyed. My store takes care of me but the amount of times they don't get orders is ridiculous.

I'm hoping today when I pick up Mario they have it.

Just beat Spidey 2. Greatest game of 2023 so far guys. Action-packed! So where's the "Guaranteed to love it" code?

It was cool they got the OCKY WAY guy as a sidequest

Did it give you cash back based on your actual total or the total of the 3 games
It's based on the order total. I paid $110ish and am getting a little over $6 back. I hope some of you got in on the Retailmenot deals when those were going. 10-20% back on the pre-discount total was a great run while it lasted

25 TIV for divinity original sin 2 is a pretty good deal. I might get rid of BOTW as well so I get 50 towards Mario
I saw this and BG1+2 and was a little excited (bought both of them after playing them on PC and ended up not liking them on console enough to finish) but a preliminary look at sold listings on ebay say they're both worth in the $35 range, so careful.

I saw this and BG1+2 and was a little excited (bought both of them after playing them on PC and ended up not liking them on console enough to finish) but a preliminary look at sold listings on ebay say they're both worth in the $35 range, so careful.
$35 on ebay costs you about $5 in fees. If you also have to cover shipping in that $35 then it’s another $5 for that. At that point, it’s not worth dealing with eBay.

Dumb question but can you just walk in and get Mario wonder today or is it usually preorder only?
Normally I'd say you have nothing to worry about for a Mario game, but with GameStop the way that it currently is, you're basically flipping a coin.

I don't know what you're seeing but one or two people got $30-35 with free shipping but most people are getting just over $20 for used copies. New copies are closer to $50.

I'm trading it in at GameStop because when it sits long enough and nobody buys it I can get it again when it's $10 or $20 on a buy 2 get one free lmao

$35 on ebay costs you about $5 in fees. If you also have to cover shipping in that $35 then it’s another $5 for that. At that point, it’s not worth dealing with eBay.
You beat me to it, I despise when people look at sold listings and don't bother factoring in fees, shipping, materials, time, etc.

You beat me to it, I despise when people look at sold listings and don't bother factoring in fees, shipping, materials, time, etc.
Ad once you hit $600 in sales you have to fill out extra IRS forms. So keep all the costs of goods on hand.
Nevermind the emotional toll if you luck out and get a crazy person or a scammer on eBay.

The profit on something has to be pretty good for me to take the chance on eBay. And I say this as someone who’s been on eBay since 1998 and has thousands of feedback.

I don't know what you're seeing but one or two people got $30-35 with free shipping but most people are getting just over $20 for used copies. New copies are closer to $50.

I'm trading it in at GameStop because when it sits long enough and nobody buys it I can get it again when it's $10 or $20 on a buy 2 get one free lmao
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=divinity+original+2+ps4&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Sorted by most recently ended. Sales in the $40 to 50 range over the last week on preowned, granted some went lower but that's ebay for ya. Even minus shipping and fees that's still ahead of Gamestop, and for some people (like me) it's quicker to do a sale, package, and take to the nearby post office than the closest Gamestop which is 15 minutes away. YMMV on that of course, I imagine a lot of people have a Gamestop on their way to work and it's barely any extra driving.

There's also the caveat that, in terms of the CAG spirit, paying for a $50 new game is not that money savvy. If you were going to anyway, sure, but generally $50 cash can be stretched further than paying MSRP on a game. Maybe you can swap the $50 into credit and apply it to a good sale/B1G1, IDK.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=divinity+original+2+ps4&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Sorted by most recently ended. Sales in the $40 to 50 range over the last week on preowned, granted some went lower but that's ebay for ya. Even minus shipping and fees that's still ahead of Gamestop, and for some people (like me) it's quicker to do a sale, package, and take to the nearby post office than the closest Gamestop which is 15 minutes away. YMMV on that of course, I imagine a lot of people have a Gamestop on their way to work and it's barely any extra driving.

There's also the caveat that, in terms of the CAG spirit, paying for a $50 new game is not that money savvy. If you were going to anyway, sure, but generally $50 cash can be stretched further than paying MSRP on a game. Maybe you can swap the $50 into credit and apply it to a good sale/B1G1, IDK.
I sell on eBay part time and have 3000+ feedback

The last sales on this game were
$33 plus ship
23 plus ship
32 plus ship
31 free ship
26 free ship
20 plus ship
25 plus ship
25 free ship
20 plus ship
40 free ship
20 plus ship

The cheapest available is 30+ shipping
At $30 sale without a store or top rated discount your net before taxes is $25.72 without factoring shipping.

There's a few losers trying to get $50 for used copies but they won't sell.

I think it might eventually settle into being a $30-40 game over time but is the extra $5-10 worth the time if you aren't already an eBay seller? And if you don't have another game to trade for the 2/$50 thats better?

IQ4ooCgoDX1y.gif

are you looking at 1 or 2? 2 STARTS at $36 with recent sales higher and room for growth. I'm not saying you don't provide good points for taking the credit, but prices look better than you claim

Btw Amazon starts at $45.

Gamestop is such a pain in the ass to deal with. Had to return a game and they now have the tools to look up what you paid, how you paid, etc. (Ymmv on employees knowing the tool exists and how to use it). Because I paid with PayPal, apparently they can't refund that in store because it isn't a method of payment they accept. Luckily it was a small return and he called his manager and he told him to give me cash as a one time exception. He said in the future PayPal orders must be returned online and can't be done in store. Very silly because my return was for $15 and it would have cost $8.99 to do an online return. This company is a joke. Just a warning for those that use PayPal on occasion with gamestop

Brought a pre-owned dualsense edge for $124- looked complete to me. They also had mario 3d all stars preowned case but the worker couldn’t find the game- dammit![attachment=38274:IMG_1392.jpeg]

Lackluster preorders,shipping issues,missing games and just a cold tone really set the bar for Gamestop to continue dying. I'm honestly sad for those who didn't get their games but more so the fact it's becoming more alarming whats going on behind the scenes
The sad thing is I actually LOVE talking to some of the employees at my local store, they're enthusiastic and knowledgeable about games.

It's the online business aspect where things get messed up, with not-actually-new games being shipped out mislabeled as "new", which is dishonest and illegal. GameStop is not allowed to invent their own definition of a word.

If they simply converted their "not new" stock into "preowned", or at least were upfront and categorized it as "open box" when ordering online, then I wouldn't be having any problems.

Traded in demons souls and paper Mario origami king and redeemed the rest of my points for a $25 cert and got spider man today. The 2 for $50 trade deal is pretty good.

after trying the trade 2 for 50 with mlb 23 ps4 and cold war ps4 4 f ing GD times i give up. that promo does not work at any GS. get to the fingerprint part and cancel. and the employees are like ur getting 20 off its still good.im not though im not getting 20 off i am trading in games i spent more for for that. im annoyed. mand yes they are ringing in a 39.99+ game in the transaction

Will trading in 4 of the most wanted net me $100 toward spiderman 2 or only the first two will get the $50. Anyone know?

after trying the trade 2 for 50 with mlb 23 ps4 and cold war ps4 4 f ing GD times i give up. that promo does not work at any GS. get to the fingerprint part and cancel. and the employees are like ur getting 20 off its still good.im not though im not getting 20 off i am trading in games i spent more for for that. im annoyed. mand yes they are ringing in a 39.99+ game in the transaction
The list only shows Cold War PS5, that’s probably why.

Worked for me yesterday towards SM2 with Rescue Team DX and Skyrim Anniversary PS4.

Any console bump?

BB has Diablo console for $500 plus you get another $50 in cert for being total douche member. So effectively $500 after taxes for me.

isnt the min $40? less than that may be an issue.

Are you buying a new game? Doesn’t work if you buy a used game.

Promo kicked in fine when I picked up Mario Wonder yesterday.

isnt the min $40? less than that may be an issue.
No, it’s any new game $39.99 and up.

Will trading in 4 of the most wanted net me $100 toward spiderman 2 or only the first two will get the $50. Anyone know?
That will not work. 2 will boost to $50, other 2 will not.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:38276]
Check out these brand new games that just arrived. Can't make this shit up.

If anyone is needing/wanting to know if this offer is still working, I just got Marvel's Spider-Man 2 with it. The employees had no idea this even existed, so I guess I was literally the first person to use it at that location.
awesome thanks! Traded Hitman3 and Demons Souls and price matched Amazon for Mortal Kombat 1 PS5 to get that at 59.99

the games also had a 5% boost so got ~$26 for each and paid like $12 out of pocket

Happy!

Traded Rift Apart, UFC 4, Hitman 3, and Pokémon Sword towards Mario and spider-man yesterday in same transaction. Spider-man was a fully paid off preorder, so I got all that credit applied to the Mario wonder purchase and walked out with $39 TC back.

They originally said they couldn’t take R&C after scanning it, when she looked it up it worked. I guess because the SKU was the launch edition and that’s flagged as not being accepted 🤷🏻‍♂️

bread's done
Back