The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
another game stop by me closed which leaves me with only 4 left in manhattan nyc. i dont even know if gamestop will survive much longer at this rate. if they die trade ins die too and i will probably go all digital at that point

Is ther

Yes they expire 12 months after they are earned. this starts December 1. At that point any points that have been earned over a year ago will expire. So use them or lose them.
Is there a way to know when my point was earned? Anyhow, does this mean it is bestbI use up all my point because December 1? What "would " be the best way to use them use we can;t use point certificate for digital currency? Can I redeem $25 and use for them something like preorder?

Is ther

Is there a way to know when my point was earned? Anyhow, does this mean it is bestbI use up all my point because December 1? What "would " be the best way to use them use we can;t use point certificate for digital currency? Can I redeem $25 and use for them something like preorder?
Look at your online rewards activity to see when they were earned.
You can’t use them to preorder. You can use them when you pick up a game.

You know what i find funny about this 4 for $40 Preowned sale? If you switch to NEW, 99% of the games are drastically cheaper.....Lol

Stay Classy GameStop and never change. 

another game stop by me closed which leaves me with only 4 left in manhattan nyc. i dont even know if gamestop will survive much longer at this rate. if they die trade ins die too and i will probably go all digital at that point
I’m in metro Detroit. I have 8 within a 20 mins drive from me lol. Makes me think they are fine

Which store in Manhattan closed? If you're talking about 34th, I think they changed locations.
as far as i know it was flat out canned and due to the economic issues with gamestop it doesnt surprise me. the CEO wven stepped down recently if im not mistaken. one of the employees from 34 street that did my trade in today at east 14th told me he was at the 34 street location which would also indicate a closure

Last edited by a moderator:
as far as i know it was flat out canned and due to the economic issues with gamestop it doesnt surprise me. the CEO wven stepped down recently if im not mistaken. one of the employees from 34 street that did my trade in today at east 14th told me he was at the 34 street location which would also indicate a closure
I get people telling me they're temporarily at a Gamestop from a nearby Gamestop all the time, probably due to their high turnover. Not saying that place didn't close down but I wouldn't use it as a basis.

Store's been closed since June but its because they relocated to WTC as another person mentioned. My local GS employees get thrown around the other ones due to staffing issues. One of them no longer has a designated store manager and he has to manage 2 stores so he hops back and forth between the week, kinda sucks.

Screenshots from phones, but the Pro Rewards is getting worse ($5/month does not work on any digital stuffs it seems) and the PRP/GPG is going to be pushing replacing new items with used stuff first (and an exhaustive list of things to do, to include DM approval, for new replaced with new).

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/17jvkp9/why_even_get_a_pro_anymore/

I got a free Pro membership and I still feel ripped off.

Store's been closed since June but its because they relocated to WTC as another person mentioned. My local GS employees get thrown around the other ones due to staffing issues. One of them no longer has a designated store manager and he has to manage 2 stores so he hops back and forth between the week, kinda sucks.
its become more and more annoying to do anything gamestop related as i have very few options in manhattan now. i miss when i used to know all of the district managers in my area and they would give me all of their old penny guides and whatnot and in return i would flip good stock for them to sell lol. good times 😞

are there any good trade in promos going on ? the clerk surprisingly didnt mention any to me yesterday like they are normally supposed to do

Screenshots of phones, but the Pro Rewards is getting worse ($5/month does not work on any digital stuffs it seems) and the PRP/GPG is going to be pushing replacing new items with used stuff first (and an exhaustive list of things to do, to include DM approval, for new replaced with new).

The amount of companies lately that are straight up making their subscription objectively worse right now is crazy. Netflix IP address/sharing, Amazon showing ads on Prime, Best Buy cutting a good chunk of their plus rewards, GameStop oof where do we even start with everything they’ve done to Pro lately…

I mean, they already stopped coupon redemption on eshop stuff once before, it was only a matter of time before they tried again. And hey, now I won't have to worry about going in and using my coupon anymore, since mine expires in Nov. Thanks Gamestop! Enjoy death!

The amount of companies lately that are straight up making their subscription objectively worse right now is crazy. Netflix IP address/sharing, Amazon showing ads on Prime, Best Buy cutting a good chunk of their plus rewards, GameStop oof where do we even start with everything they’ve done to Pro lately…
I cancelled Prime because of the ads. We may resub to Netflix, but only for a month or two to watch the content we want, then cancel again.

It was obvious to happen; the line must go up, therefore, if the line is dictated by subscription models, they either have to cost less or make more... so less content/features and higher prices.

To everyone who loves GamePass, I got bad news for you... hope you don't have an all digital system...

My PRO also expires in November - perfection! See ya never GameStop unless there’s unusually good console trade or 20% off gift cards that I can apply toward hardware.

I have all the consoles yet the only active gaming subscription I have is Nintendo Switch Online (not expansion pack) because it’s reasonably priced.

Screenshots from phones, but the Pro Rewards is getting worse ($5/month does not work on any digital stuffs it seems) and the PRP/GPG is going to be pushing replacing new items with used stuff first (and an exhaustive list of things to do, to include DM approval, for new replaced with new).

I got a free Pro membership and I still feel ripped off.
Expected this to happen tbh.

I do find it scummy that they are doing it right after BF. Feel like they are going to con people into signing up then and then gut the $5 coupon right after.

Expected this to happen tbh.

I do find it scummy that they are doing it right after BF. Feel like they are going to con people into signing up then and then gut the $5 coupon right after.
I’m shocked it isn’t going into effect on January 1 after they sell memberships to all the parents and grandparents.

The only surprise is that it isn't January 1st, agreed. The funny part is while this will mean fewer renewals from "devil" customers the real issue will be that employees won't have anything left to push this with besides a free pack of pokemon cards a month. That will probably get cut next spring.

I wouldn’t be shocked if 2 of those are gone within 5 years, and Netflix might get scooped up by somebody or merge with somebody else. The only time you can raise prices of services is when you have a superior product, which Prime could always boast about before, although the 2 day shipping is starting to slip more and more.

Wow RIP GameStop rewards. I’m still good into next year since I stacked a a few years for free, but that’s pretty much it for me. The 5% off used is nice but you have to spend $500 just to break even if you don’t use the coupons. And I shop online where the $5 reward doesn’t even stack in deals. So pretty much useless for me

I'm subbed for a couple more years thanks to the essentially free renewal some time ago, but I have no reason to shop there anymore outside of special sales. My stores are gonna be seeing a lot less of me, which is saying a lot since I basically just went there to use my $5 on an eshop card.

I'm subbed for a couple more years thanks to the essentially free renewal some time ago, but I have no reason to shop there anymore outside of special sales. My stores are gonna be seeing a lot less of me, which is saying a lot since I basically just went there to use my $5 on an eshop card. fuck this 5% discount and $80 free shipping threshold noise.

I'm subbed for a couple more years thanks to the essentially free renewal some time ago, but I have no reason to shop there anymore outside of special sales. My stores are gonna be seeing a lot less of me, which is saying a lot since I basically just went there to use my $5 on an eshop card. fuck this 5% discount and $80 free shipping threshold noise.
i shut off my auto renewal as well. there is no reason to keep it and the small discount off of used along with the small trade in bump isnt a deal breaker either

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - requires 8gb VRAM GPU for minimum.

Stiff system requirements incoming.

Frontiers-of-Pandora-PC-specs.jpg

Oof. Killing points stockpiling AND the $5 coupon on GCs? Not to mention the hike to $25?

Definitely done with Pro once I cash out my points and my sub expires in January.

Will probably dump all my saved up credit into the next Switch or something and go back to buying from them once or twice a year.

So glad I did not renew as my subscription expired on 10/9.
How are they even hanging on?
outside of store closures i dont know. the longer their funkos and other merch stay on the shelf the more dead stock they will accumulate as well which leads to more losses. i dont want to lose them only because if we do that means trade ins are basically dead and with that means physical games will lose value

Well with all these major retailers looking to axe physical games as long as Gamestop plays it right they could see a new surge...
Uhhh ... the problem, however, is that fewer/fewer publishers are bothering releasing physical copies -- THAT, and the fact that you have two of the big console manufacturers selling digital-only consoles proliferates/favors digital transactions, leaving Gamestop with less/less inventory and less/less used games to sell.

Uhhh ... the problem, however, is that fewer/fewer publishers are bothering releasing physical copies -- THAT, and the fact that you have two of the big console manufacturers selling digital-only consoles proliferates/favors digital transactions, leaving Gamestop with less/less inventory and less/less used games to sell.
Yes but there is still lots and lots of it out there.

Removing the 5k renewal and not being able to use it on digital currency is the nail in the coffin for me. I've been a member over a decade and they lost me.

They got me for one last hit this month i renewed an expiring sub for $25 in store credit because i thought theres no way they would remove POSA cards from rewards

Jokes on me, gamestop always fucks you over

Hahaha fuck this company.

They want associates to direct customers to go to another store if the store has the item used when you’re trying to exchange a new item?

I was talking to the kid working at GameStop, he mentioned he’s making $10 an hour and work 39 hours a week. They won’t give him full time because they don’t want to give him benefits. What a shitty company I remarked to him, I offered him a job at my company starting at $15 with benefits if he sticks through 6 months. Hopefully he applies, gamestop is a low down scumbag company. He mentioned to me his dm is racist and won’t ring up black customers if he has to come into the store.

Personally, they lost me when they killed 10% off PO games and 10% trade in. The $5 coupon has always been a shit deal. i will head out tomorrow and see if theres a 50% bonus in NV though, i have a number of games to trade in

Maybe January 1st will bring no digital currency using gift cards.
That's standard practice at essentially all other retailers so that wouldn't be surprising. It's utilized for money laundering and fraud quite often. You can't use a Reward Certificate at Best Buy to get a Steam card. Can't use a Best Buy gift card towards any POSA cards regardless of what it is either.

Wow Gamestop just can't help themselves screwing customers over even more. The whole thing about forcing people to take used replacements under their paid warranty is beyond disgusting. I'll be using my pro $5 monthly off a psn card next month and let that sucker expire in Jan.

Wow Gamestop just can't help themselves screwing customers over even more. The whole thing about forcing people to take used replacements under their paid warranty is beyond disgusting. I'll be using my pro $5 monthly off a psn card next month and let that sucker expire in Jan.
I’m still going to renew, just never going to buy a warranty from them again.
Y’all must have short-term memory loss. Does no one remember the recent amazing pro week sale? That sale alone and the b2g1 preowned games alone made the membership worth it.

I'll still go into Gamestop going forward, but I'm also completely disgusted by the recent changes. Stupidly decided to exchange points for the $10 Digital credit over the weekend. Didn't want to spend much...but then noticed the shipping charge. I thought I had figured out a way around it by buying a game with my purchase, and then returning the game instore; however, Gamestop automatically applied the $10 off to the individual game purchase within the Order. So now returning the game is as if I'm throwing away the $10 coupon.

I thought I was cheap, but Gamestop has beaten me...

Personally, they lost me when they killed 10% of PO games and 10% trade in. The $5 coupon has always been a shit deal. i will head out tomorrow and see if theres a 50% bonus in NV though, i have a number of games to trade in
That was when I stopped subbing every year and drastically reduced my shopping there as well. I only recently re-subbed because I was getting rid of my Series X and they basically paid me to subscribe because of the trade bonus on the console.

I still remember going in shortly after the change to coupons and being asked if I wanted to subscribe. I mentioned how I had no interest in the membership without the 10% discount. He gave me the most half-hearted, “oh but this was you might save even more, you get $5 without even having to spend anything.” The whole subtext of his tone just felt like “man I know, but they make me do this”

bread's done
Back