The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
GameStop has the PS5 DualSense controllers for $50.   With the pickup in-store $5 off, you can get them for $45.  My local shop has the new colors, as well.

Most likely the cheapest you'll find these, so you might want to nab one or two.

GameStop has the PS5 DualSense controllers for $50. With the pickup in-store $5 off, you can get them for $45. My local shop has the new colors, as well.

Most likely the cheapest you'll find these, so you might want to nab one or two.
Picked up the cobalt blue yesterday when I spent my monthly $5 on eShop for the last time. I was able to use $5 of trade credit to pay for the remainder.

FYI - neither the monthly $5 code or reward certificates will work when ordering the Dualsense online for pickup.

is anyone upgrading from their phat ps5 to the slim?

so $357.50 is trade value on GS.com, it's +$50 if trading towards another ps5 making it $407.50 is that right?

I wonder if coil whine is lesser of a thing, and I would miss my OEM black plates. Sorta silly to not offer customization right out the gate.
I'll wait for the PS5 Pro before considering upgrading. The slim doesn't seem to improve anything.

Debating trading in my launch PS5 for the MW3 slim bundle. If I can sell the game code it would be a pretty cheap swap. Not particularly interested in the slim, but seems reasonable to do so for such a small amount.

The website feature allowing users to search by store is already becoming much less useful. The buttons to filter by pre-owned and retro gaming have disappeared from the majority of stores. Also, the total number of video games as a whole at each store is way down from just a day ago.

This was a great idea but they just can't get it right. 

Just had to get the blue controller for pickup at GameStop since since it’s $45 after the coupon. No red near me. Surprised people like that more than the blue. Or I guess it’s people who missed out on the spiderman controller buying them?
Thanks for mentioning this. I was able to get a Blue Dualsense at my store for pick up. They were surprised that it was only $45 since it just came out a couple of days ago. I was able to use my $5 monthly PUR coupon on a $10 Xbox giftcard and pay the rest with trade credit.

Went to get my $10 PS gift card but wasn't able to use GameStop gift cards. Really stupid because the gift cards were from refunds of my in-store orders that they cancelled that I'd bought using trade credit. Oh well, got Saints Row on Xbox for free.

is the slim ps4 backwards compatible ? if so i hope a ps4 trade in promo is available
Ps4s aren't bc. I'm assuming you mean the ps5 slim which would be yes from what I understand. But only with ps4 titles and not all of them. (Though the ones that aren't are supposedly very few in number)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempted to just trade my PS5 and put the credit on a giftcard. I hardly use it. Wondering if the TIV will go higher than $407 in the coming months…
Might be $50 less if you’re not getting a PS5.

*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any PS4, PS5, Xbox Series S or X, Xbox One, or Nintendo Switch towards a new PS5 Console

Have 57k pts to use up -- if I buy COD MW3 tomorrow in store for 69.99 - 5 monthly cpn = 64.99

How many reward certs can I use? One of each?

$25+15+10+5+1 = $56 (not sure if $5 monthly stacks with $5 rewards)

or

$25+15+10+3+1 = $54

The website feature allowing users to search by store is already becoming much less useful. The buttons to filter by pre-owned and retro gaming have disappeared from the majority of stores. Also, the total number of video games as a whole at each store is way down from just a day ago.

This was a great idea but they just can't get it right.
it is garbage indeed. the app said the gamestop closest to me did not have a copy of “detroit becoming human” but low and behold i asked and they had a few lol

Have 57k pts to use up -- if I buy COD MW3 tomorrow in store for 69.99 - 5 monthly cpn = 64.99

How many reward certs can I use? One of each?

$25+15+10+5+1 = $56 (not sure if $5 monthly stacks with $5 rewards)

or

$25+15+10+3+1 = $54
3 Rewards coupons at once. Not sure if you can use the monthly as well Or it’s limited to 3 discounts.

I've had stores let me use as many as I could and I've had stores let me only use 3 at a time. The computer will work with more but official policy is only 3 at a time.

Will the PS5 trade in with the extra $50 apply to the new console? https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/playstation-5/consoles/products/sony-playstation-5-slim-console-disc-edition---call-of-duty-modern-warfare-iii-bundle/402220.html

The terms just state new PS5 console and that is a new PS5 console.
You should be getting a 50 trade boost regardless. From GS email on Monday:
[attachment=38335:IMG_1456.jpeg]

*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, or PlayStation 5 console: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades. *10% Extra On Trades: applies to trade credit only.

You should be getting a 50 trade boost regardless. From GS email on Monday:
IMG_1456.jpeg

*Get $50 Extra Trade Credit when trading in any Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, or PlayStation 5 console: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades. *10% Extra On Trades: applies to trade credit only.
Wait does this mean you don’t have to apply it to a new console? Pros just get $352 for a series x?

Wait does this mean you don’t have to apply it to a new console? Pros just get $352 for a series x?
Should be. GS could have 2 promos going on simultaneously. Best to call ahead or just take it and see what happens at the register before you sign the trade off.

Pro Members - Save 10% Off Digital games and currency
I'm going to head to a store as soon as they open and see if I can snag either iTunes or Steam credit. Looks like they completely took those off their online store during this deal. I was thinking about buying Steam credit just yesterday for the OLED deck and the page was up.

I wish there was a workaround to use GameStop gift cards towards these 10% off giftcards. Might have to try buying some games and buying the giftcards on a return transaction.

Just to be clear, can you use trade credit for digital currency anymore?

I want to trade in my series x but I don’t think I will ever need $350 worth of GameStop credit.

Just to be clear, can you use trade credit for digital currency anymore?

I want to trade in my series x but I don’t think I will ever need $350 worth of GameStop credit.
Unfortunately not. It was a immediate policy change that happened in early November. It was announced around the same time as the PUR $5 coupon not being usable on any point of sale cards like Xbox, PSN, Steam, etc. though that one doesn't go into effect until December 1.

I know I am not Gamestop's main customer, but I think these two changes will pretty much kill me shopping there. Knowing that trade credit can always be cashed out for Steam or Xbox money if the deals are bad is crucial. To be fair though, I don't know who GameStop's customer is anymore.

Edit: It's also funny to me that REI will give you free shipping on anything with the purchase of a lifetime $25 membership, but Gamestop requires a $79 purchase to media mail you a game for $3 even if you have the yearly $25 membership.

Unfortunately not. It was a immediate policy change that happened in early November. It was announced around the same time as the PUR $5 coupon not being usable on any point of sale cards like Xbox, PSN, Steam, etc. though that one doesn't go into effect until December 1.

I know I am not Gamestop's main customer, but I think these two changes will pretty much kill me shopping there. Knowing that trade credit can always be cashed out for Steam or Xbox money if the deals are bad is crucial. To be fair though, I don't know who GameStop's customer is anymore.

Edit: It's also funny to me that REI will give you free shipping on anything with the purchase of a lifetime $25 membership, but Gamestop requires a $79 purchase to media mail you a game for $3 even if you have the yearly $25 membership.
Ugh. Thanks. I don’t really want to go the Amazon marketplace route but I guess I can.

I also don’t see me shopping much at GS either. Their sales are good once in a blue moon but everything is immediately out of stock and you might get a newsed copy.

Oh wow. I missed this change. I'm now stuck with WAY too much credit. Crap.

is anyone upgrading from their phat ps5 to the slim?

so $357.50 is trade value on GS.com, it's +$50 if trading towards another ps5 making it $407.50 is that right?

I wonder if coil whine is lesser of a thing, and I would miss my OEM black plates. Sorta silly to not offer customization right out the gate.
Its like a $125-145 "upgrade" after tax for most people. You'll probably just end up wanting to do the same thing next year when PS5 Pro comes out.

I used a gift card to buy eshop credit last week some time after the announcement was made. Have we gotten any firsthand confirmation since then that it doesn't work?

Only gift cards are restricted currently, not trade credit.
This. I'm pretty sure someone confirmed a week ago that they were able to use trade credit and their monthly coupon on PSN/Xbox credit. I also don't believe the $5 monthly coupon restriction on system credit that begins next month will last long. Remember, they did this at the beginning of the year and look at what happened.

I sincerely apologize, everyone. I always assumed gift cards and trade credit were handled the same way in the system. Thanks @izembo for setting me straight. Do we feel that GameStop intends for trade in credit to be utilized on gift cards? It almost feels like an oversight.

I hate that I'm even thinking like this but screw GS...

GS is basically giving away any digital game, regardless of value, if you buy a Series X. I already have the 1TB Series S and don't really need the console.

If I order the console for pickup but don't pick it up, will GS do something funky with the return (give it to me as credit, subtract the cost of the digital game, just never give me credit at all)? Is it worth even trying?

is that because it's not on the list or did they screw up?
I mentioned the sale, but just shrugged their shoulders and said sometimes the sale is different between online and in store.

edit: the CS was quick to say it was online only and it was mentioned in the promo. I can't find it anywhere though.

Maybe I’m an idiot, but is the gamestop site busted for checkout.

Each time I’ve tried to make a pick up order “place order” stays blank. When inputting a credit card(that is fine before anyone says anything) save and continue seems to not work.

I can’t make any purchase.

Apple doesn’t count right? I can only use it on like Xbox, ps, steam currency?
Correct you can only use it for gaming currency.

Also, only in store. It is blocked online. You may get it through sometimes online cause the website is so outdated but it's set to block there.

bread's done
Back