The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I traded in my old PS5 and bought a Slim yesterday and haven't gotten my points yet. I don't see anywhere on the receipt where it says how many points I got, but I used my $5 certificate on the purchase during the trade-in so I know he had the right account. :/
The receipt won't tell you. The website does. If you are a pro member, you should be getting 10,000 points in 24-72 hours. Others here have stated you only get the difference of the trade in now. That's why I suggest that people trade in and then buy a PS5 at a different Gamestop or go back to that same store in like 10 min or something. The supervisor didn't tell me I am only supposed to get the different of the trade in so as usual with Gamestop, YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel bad for GameStop employees. Next time your there, strike up an conversation with them or two about their experience with GameStop!

https://youtu.be/RBmt15Lxx2M?si=0_Scg0ihVYnJre-T
OMG, that dude is incredibly annoying. I had to stop watching 1 min in. Sucks what is going on though but Gamestop has been rumored to be going out of business for years now. Maybe 2024 will be different but until there is OFFICIAL conformation that they are closing for good, people will keep shopping there. Employees can look for different jobs if they are able to and don't like the changes. I wish the company was ran better but it's not.

Same guy has been calling the end of GameStop for 3+ years. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day though.

Not a super deal but my Pro membership expires in 2 days so I placed a pick up order for preowned Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Used $5 monthly, $5 pick up discount, $3 online reward certificate, 5% pro discount, and $5 customer support coupon code (emailed to me after I called about my pick up order taking 24 hours to send to the store). Total was ~$11 after the discounts.

Called customer service and gave up arguing with the agent.  He just kept saying that I didn't pay for the PS5 because of the trade in over and over when I asked why I didn't receive the full points.  Annoying but I rarely shop at Gamestop anyway.

Called customer service and gave up arguing with the agent. He just kept saying that I didn't pay for the PS5 because of the trade in over and over when I asked why I didn't receive the full points. Annoying but I rarely shop at Gamestop anyway.
Ugh that sucks, I might not even bother

Did no one read my experience? That's what I was told too and asked to speak with a supervisor who saw what happened and gave me the 10,000 points. If you ask to speak with a supervisor and get denied again, maybe the way my receipt was done was different or I just lucked out with a nice woman.

I keep suggesting to do the trade in at one gamestop and take that trade credit to a different Gamestop and by the PS5 slim there. That or wait like 10 min and go back to the same gamestop tell them you have decided to just buy a PS5 slim. They should sell you it no problem. If they ask for the receipt back, ask why or just go to a different Gamestop.

I keep suggesting to do the trade in at one gamestop and take that trade credit to a different Gamestop and by the PS5 slim there. That or wait like 10 min and go back to the same gamestop tell them you have decided to just buy a PS5 slim. They should sell you it no problem. If they ask for the receipt back, ask why or just go to a different Gamestop.
You were asking me questions in the PS thread because I traded my console in before you did (when it was thought that the trade in had to be applied to a PS5 purchase for the $50 bonus, which may or may not have been the case), so this advice will be helpful in the future but too late for those of us that traded our console in already. I could have tried asking for a supervisor but the agent I got was being very stubborn and I wasn't in the mood. It probably would have been easier for me to get the points credited if I hadn't received any points at all like your case with the receipt shenanigans.

10 years ago I would have argued until my face was blue over $8 in points but I'm too old for that shizz now.

You were asking me questions in the PS thread because I traded my console in before you did (when it was thought that the trade in had to be applied to a PS5 purchase for the $50 bonus, which may or may not have been the case), so this advice will be helpful in the future but too late for those of us that traded our console in already. I could have tried asking for a supervisor but the agent I got was being very stubborn and I wasn't in the mood. It probably would have been easier for me to get the points credited if I hadn't received any points at all like your case with the receipt shenanigans.

10 years ago I would have argued until my face was blue over $8 in points but I'm too old for that shizz now.
Oh okay. I can't keep track of all my posts and these deals. My guy was very stubborn too so that's why I asked for a supervisor. I am with you though, I was going to drop it if the supervisor also said no. My circumstance was also different from yours with my messed up receipt. I did receive 100 points for the $10 PSN I bought just not the 10,000 for the PS5 so that's why I called. I also understand the gamble that is shopping at Gamestop but I do always call customer service and they have always fixed the issue even if it sometimes takes a couple of weeks. I have had pretty good experience with their customer service over the years.

Sheet has been updated no major changes the usual suspects are still flips for the most part but Target's clearance games have some decent money makers.

A lot of stuff are soldout for pickup from store, everything I would grab is out from 100miles radius lol

Could order for delivery I guess..but will miss out on the extra $5 discount. xD

Some upcoming trade promos and deals for you guys.

*Buy 2 Get 1 Free on Pre Owned Games
(11/19-11/22 Pro Members Early Access | Everyone else 11/23-11/25)

*$50 GameStop Gift Card with purchase of Quest 2 headset. 11/19-11/27
(I believe this stacks on top of the $50 off MSRP price drop currently going)

*$50 off all Series X systems 11/18-11/27
(Current free Digital game deal ends when this one starts so you can’t double dip).

*Double trade bonus for Pros 11/19-11/25
(I think this is where you get 20% extra trade credit vs the Normal 10% for being a pro.)

*Trade more, Save More promo on video game software
11/26-12/9

Trade 2 Get 20% Extra credit
Trade 3 Get 30% Extra credit
Trade 4 or more get 40% extra credit

(Not much details that I saw about exclusions, and I’m thinking this isn’t including the pro bonus, but the double trade bonus for pros listed above will end when this promo starts)

Edit: This isn’t everything on sale for Black Fridays just some stuff previewed ahead that I came across.

(Current free Digital game deal ends when this one starts so you can’t double dip).

(I think this is where you get 20% extra trade credit vs the Normal 10% for being a pro.)

11/26-12/9

(Not much details that I saw about exclusions, and I’m thinking this isn’t including the pro bonus, but the double trade bonus for pros ends listed above will end when this promo starts)
So no PSVR2 stuff. Interesting and disappointing.

11/26-12/9

(Not much details that I saw about exclusions, and I’m thinking this isn’t including the pro bonus, but the double trade bonus for pros listed above will end when this promo starts)

Edit: This isn’t everything on sale for Black Fridays just some stuff previewed ahead that I came across.
Does anyone know if these promotions will overlap with the current $50 Extra Trade Credit on new systems traded in and the 10% extra with Pro.

Specifically hoping to add another extra 10% Pro Trade Credit...as that would be awesome for ditching my wife's broken PS5.

Been gone for a little while. There's a spreadsheet for flips now?
For some reason this guy always says this, but never links to anything, doesn't respond to DMs and there's no actual evidence of any publicly available data on trade values. I think it's iatcg trolling people again.

Been gone for a little while. There's a spreadsheet for flips now?
There’s pretty much nothing to flip. Same games get listed over and over, but there is no stock anywhere for these games. In-store price doesn’t actually line up with the website price either. E.g. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna the golden Country

For some reason this guy always says this, but never links to anything, doesn't respond to DMs and there's no actual evidence of any publicly available data on trade values. I think it's iatcg trolling people again.
He actually has a sheet, so he’s not iatcg. But again, without huge price drops online, it’s not useful to even reference.

11/26-12/9

MVPs right there. Thinking back to the golden T6G40% promo several months ago. Upcoming T4G40% is platinum. Can finally get Hyrule Warriors 1 and two other games for $35 each, much more reasonable. Just hoping for no generic cases...

if anyone needs cheap filler to get that 50% trade in bonus NBA 2k23 for the xbox series X is $5.00 new at gamestop and its TIV is $1.65. small loss on the game but if trading in good valued games with it i think the small sacrifice is worth it

The T2G50F40+ promo ends on 11/19, and Super Mario RPG releases on 11/18. For those that have yet to pre-order or are still on the fence, you can trade-in two games from the most wanted list and essentially get SMRPG for free. Gonna break even with Cold War (PS5) and Miles Morales (PS4) since both are valued at about $25 each on eBay.

The T2G50F40+ promo ends on 11/19, and Super Mario RPG releases on 11/18. For those that have yet to pre-order or are still on the fence, you can trade-in two games from the most wanted list and essentially get SMRPG for free. Gonna break even with Cold War (PS5) and Miles Morales (PS4) since both are valued at about $25 each on eBay.
Ya, I was trying to find something to do the trade with but it seems like not much on the list is a “profitable flip”. They’ve gotten better with not getting screwed over with that stuff lol

I traded in my PS5 for $407 in credit. I put $200 toward Steam credit for the Steam OLED tomorrow. Is there a way around the $200 daily limit so I can get another $200 in Steam credit? Can my wife just go in with my trade in card and get $200 in Steam credit? Can I just go to another store? How is that tracked?

ended up dumping the ps5 digital brick for $350 without issue and without buying anything else. they told me promo ends this week.

I traded in my PS5 for $407 in credit. I put $200 toward Steam credit for the Steam OLED tomorrow. Is there a way around the $200 daily limit so I can get another $200 in Steam credit? Can my wife just go in with my trade in card and get $200 in Steam credit? Can I just go to another store? How is that tracked?
The limit is by store. I just came back the next day when I was funding my original steam deck at release.

I was using my work VPN on my laptop, none on my phone. Turning off wifi on my phone let me through, only to find they've already stopped allowing trade credit to be used on gaming gift cards (Meta gift cards at least).
I dunno about Meta, but trade credit still works on gaming currency. I bought PSN today. It's GS gift cards that are restricted for gaming currency.

A system wide change, I’ve done a ton of trades the last few years and this has been in place at least since Jan 1st 2022, any time I trade in and use the credit right away vs getting it on a card and using it that way I get no points for the purchase. This goes for consoles, games, and accessories. If you are trading and making a purchase and care about the points, have them add the balance to a trade card, this always solves the issue.
The answer is right here folks. They look at the subtotal on your receipt and that's what you get points for. I think it's been like this since they stopped giving points for trades.

The T2G50F40+ promo ends on 11/19, and Super Mario RPG releases on 11/18. For those that have yet to pre-order or are still on the fence, you can trade-in two games from the most wanted list and essentially get SMRPG for free. Gonna break even with Cold War (PS5) and Miles Morales (PS4) since both are valued at about $25 each on eBay.
Where do you find the list of eligible titles for the trade in promotion?

I dunno about Meta, but trade credit still works on gaming currency. I bought PSN today. It's GS gift cards that are restricted for gaming currency.
You bought it online? I tried adding different gaming cards to my cart, and instead of the button to add gift/trade card number I get this message: "Gift Cards and Trade In Credit cannot be used to purchase: PlayStation Store Gift Card $10, Valve Steam Wallet Card $20, Xbox Gift Card $10".

Can you trade in multiple consoles and get $50 bonus for each one? I have a Xbox Series S and a Xbox One X that I'm hoping both get the $50 bonus towards a Series X upgrade for my nephew.

For people who traded in their OG PS5 for the slim model: do you have any regrets? I’m debating doing the same but still on the fence because the only complaint I have with my console is that it is too big to fit in my entertainment center.

Can you trade in multiple consoles and get $50 bonus for each one? I have a Xbox Series S and a Xbox One X that I'm hoping both get the $50 bonus towards a Series X upgrade for my nephew.
That should work but you may want to do it in separate transactions or maybe at 2 different stores. The store could deny the trade of the 2nd console for any reason- ex, concern for stolen goods.

No, in-store. Online has more restrictions. In-store you can use your monthly coupon on digital currency (this is the last month for that) and sale items.
Yes, I also bought some in store with trade credit a few days ago, but I was talking specifically about GameStop.com, sorry if that wasn't clear. This is a relatively new restriction online, I'm not sure when it happened, but I think I bought some game currency online not too long ago. I am concerned that they may add this restriction in-store in the not-too-distanct future.

For people who traded in their OG PS5 for the slim model: do you have any regrets? I’m debating doing the same but still on the fence because the only complaint I have with my console is that it is too big to fit in my entertainment center.
No regrets here

bread's done
Back