The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
If I do Mario RPG for store pick-up, can I trade in a game when I do the pick-up for the bonus 20% credit? 

I got Mario Wonder sitting, base shows $33 so after 20% bonus it's about $39 TIV. 

Got an order of MLB for pick up at Best Buy and Miles Morales at Gamestop, plan on trading both for Assassin's Creed to get that for $25 out of pocket ($15 paid in trade credit at miles morales and $10 for MLB), should end up with a few dollars in credit on top of that. Anyone try price matching a game while doing the trade 2 towards $39.99 game? If I can price match Assassin's Creed it would make this deal even better.
I did this earlier with Metal Gear Solid for PS5. Price matched Amazon. It works but you cannot use any coupons on top such as monthly $5 or reward certificates. Those would lower the cost of the game below $39.99 and the trade bonus doesn't meet the criteria for the trade two for $50 on a new game $39.99 and up. You also get the additional trade in credit on a trade card in this case because $50 is more than the cost of the game. You also get 10% bonus from the pre-boosted value so I got $26.40 each on MLB and Miles Morales towards MGS. Hope that helps.

I did this earlier with Metal Gear Solid for PS5. Price matched Amazon. It works but you cannot use any coupons on top such as monthly $5 or reward certificates. Those would lower the cost of the game below $39.99 and the trade bonus doesn't meet the criteria for the trade two for $50 on a new game $39.99 and up. You also get the additional trade in credit on a trade card in this case because $50 is more than the cost of the game. You also get 10% bonus from the pre-boosted value so I got $26.40 each on MLB and Miles Morales towards MGS. Hope that helps.
Thanks! Definitely helps

When Did they start taking old consoles? They have trade in listings for Xbox 360s and PS3's.
Somewhat recently. YMMV though as I have an OG White Xbox 360 with everything including the hard drive cover and three different stores have denied my trade.

I guess they technically did the right thing though because now the 360 has developed the Open Tray error with the disc reader/laser

Even for the random one-offs that I might want to try to pickup at Gamestop, they don't have anything in stock within 20 miles. Just a basic sports title is OOS. It's truly pathetic how little stock they have in-stores.

And you have to buy 2-3 sale titles just to maybe get free S&H but then you open yourself up to "new" copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got an order of MLB for pick up at Best Buy and Miles Morales at Gamestop, plan on trading both for Assassin's Creed to get that for $25 out of pocket ($15 paid in trade credit at miles morales and $10 for MLB), should end up with a few dollars in credit on top of that. Anyone try price matching a game while doing the trade 2 towards $39.99 game? If I can price match Assassin's Creed it would make this deal even better.
I sucessfully price matched Dead Island 2 Hell-A Edition (PS5) from Amazon at $49.99. Invested about $20 for the 2 trade-ins, paid $4 toward taxes, and ended up spending only around $25 in total.

Was holding off on hopefully using my Pro points on a Switch for Black Friday, doesn't look like there will be any deals on them.  We have a list on Black Friday games yet?

Does the 20% extra promo cancel out the trade 2 for $50 on Super Mario RPG?

Wanted to trade MLB + Pokémon Sword towards Super Mario RPG but only if can get $50 towards the game.

Was holding off on hopefully using my Pro points on a Switch for Black Friday, doesn't look like there will be any deals on them. We have a list on Black Friday games yet?
No games list for Gamestop yet, but there will be both a trade in promo, trade 4 get +40% bonus, and a buy 2 get 1 free promo on used games starting Sunday. Bestbuy games are live now, Walmart and Target starting in a few days. I picked up some PS4 The Show 23 games & PS4 miles morales, for some $50 trade in magic, and PS4 Daymare Sandcastle for me for $10. Thought the first game was decent for that price range.

Traded in MLB and Miles towards Mario RPG.  I got a little over $26 in credit for each game as the 10% for pro stacked with it.  Thanks for the tips everyone.  Great deal for a new Switch title

Debating snagging the $10 MLB and $15 SM MM to trade towards Wonder or Hogwarts Legacy. My other half is a Harry Potter nerd and now that he's done with Tears of the Kingdom, that might be up his alley. But Wonder gives us more multi-player shenanigans.

Also, I'm about to go out of pro at the end of this month, so I want to redeem the 8000 points I have for $8 in coupons. Gamestop changes stuff so much, how many coupons can you use on a single transaction? I don't know now. I'd love to use the $5 online coupon on Miles Morales to offset that cost, but last time I tried to use online coupons it was an ordeal.

Has anyone been able to use an online certificate on a game along with the $5 store pickup discount?

Trying to figure out the best way to use my $15 in points before they possibly expire on December 1st

Has anyone been able to use an online certificate on a game along with the $5 store pickup discount?

Trying to figure out the best way to use my $15 in points before they possibly expire on December 1st
yeah you can im pretty sure, what you can do before you spend all your points is get a 1 dollar certificate if you have an extra 1k to try it before you blow all your points to make sure it works. im pretty sure u use online ones for in store pickup.

Wait, I thought we shouldn't redeem our points towards online certs because they rarely work and CS doesn't give them back. Isn't the rule to use them in store?

Traded in MLB and Miles towards Mario RPG. I got a little over $26 in credit for each game as the 10% for pro stacked with it. Thanks for the tips everyone. Great deal for a new Switch title
I'm late to the party on this one, but could use some clarification on the trade 2 promo. Can you do the trade 2 but use certs to pay for most of the game and have the rest go on a trade card, or can you only use certs to make up the difference between ~$52 and the cost of the game? I have a lot of points to spend in a short period of time, and I know I'm not alone. This question is for anyone, not just Bobby. Thanks in advance.

I bit the bullet and gave it a shot. $15 cert eliminated the $5 store pickup discount. There is a chance that it was because 15+5 is technically over $19.99 pre-tax total, but more likely certs just eliminate the discount (I should have tried it with a higher value game to test that theory, but I am sleep deprived and didn't think of that until it was too late. Not going to waste more points testing it now).

I bit the bullet and gave it a shot. $15 cert eliminated the $5 store pickup discount. There is a chance that it was because 15+5 is technically over $19.99 pre-tax total, but more likely certs just eliminate the discount (I should have tried it with a higher value game to test that theory, but I am sleep deprived and didn't think of that until it was too late. Not going to waste more points testing it now).
Thanks for testing it out and I know the online certificates act weird many times with sale products or other promos and it seems to be the case with the $5 pickup promo.

I guess I’ll just stick to the in store certificates to burn through them once the Black Friday sale items show up. Hopefully it works on sale items but knowing GameStop they’ll be some issue that pops up

Anyone else have the experience of Gamestop charging sales tax on the pre-discounted price of a sale item? Maybe it's just a Connecticut thing, but it leaves a REALLY bad taste in my mouth. I got a copy of 'Callisto Protocol' for the Seriex X, which is $19.99 on sale for $10. I couldn't get the $5 off for picking up in store, because it was the last copy and the app didn't recognize it as being in stock. The system charged me sales tax on the full $19.99. Seems wild to me.

Lately, the only time I go into Gamestop is to trade in Xbox Series X controllers with drift (It's not worth the time and effort to take it apart and solder in new potentiometers). This time, I went to the one in Shelton. The controller has a trade-in value of $18, and I was honest and up front about the drift in the left stick. The associate adds a TEN DOLLAR refurbishing fee to an $18 trade in.

When I went to buy a copy of 'Callisto Protocol' for $5, the associate first said that he didn't have any. After taking the box off the wall, he begrudgingly looked in the drawer. It was (of course) the last copy, and gutted. Even though it had stickers all over it, the price was right. What REALLY pissed me off was this dude tried to sell me a protection plan on the game, leveraging the fact that IT WAS ALREADY OPENED.He then proceeded to put one of those stupid super-sticky circular stickers on the game to seal it shut. Had to REALLY work to get the residue of THAT off the case (I'm really anal about the condition of my games).

Charging me sales tax on the full value of the game was just icing on the cake. It was only $1.27, but it's the principle of it.

I was considering picking up a Spiderman PS5 for $499, but now I'm inclined to go with another retailer. Will Gamestop charge me sales tax on the full MSRP of $569?!?!?

I'm late to the party on this one, but could use some clarification on the trade 2 promo. Can you do the trade 2 but use certs to pay for most of the game and have the rest go on a trade card, or can you only use certs to make up the difference between ~$52 and the cost of the game? I have a lot of points to spend in a short period of time, and I know I'm not alone. This question is for anyone, not just Bobby. Thanks in advance.
Sorry to quote myself, but does anyone know the answer to this? I'll probably be doing a trade today, would like to know what to expect. I already took one for the team testing the online cert.

Debating snagging the $10 MLB and $15 SM MM to trade towards Wonder or Hogwarts Legacy. My other half is a Harry Potter nerd and now that he's done with Tears of the Kingdom, that might be up his alley. But Wonder gives us more multi-player shenanigans.

Also, I'm about to go out of pro at the end of this month, so I want to redeem the 8000 points I have for $8 in coupons. Gamestop changes stuff so much, how many coupons can you use on a single transaction? I don't know now. I'd love to use the $5 online coupon on Miles Morales to offset that cost, but last time I tried to use online coupons it was an ordeal.
where is spiderman $15??

Can confirm Xbox One, PS4s, and Switch do not count towards $50 bonus. There was a post a few days ago that showed the fine print showing that was the case, but it seems it has indeed changed and my Xbox One X would not receive the bonus if I tried to trade it in.

Can confirm Xbox One, PS4s, and Switch do not count towards $50 bonus. There was a post a few days ago that showed the fine print showing that was the case, but it seems it has indeed changed and my Xbox One X would not receive the bonus if I tried to trade it in.
damn it. hopefully a promo comes up next month where i get a bonus towards a ps5 by trading in a ps4

Great final day of the trade 2 for $50 promo. Grabbed two copies of MLB from Best buy and two copies of miles Morales from gamestop. Got assassin's creed mirage and price matched without issue for $40. Used a reward cert at Best buy and got $12 back on a trade card which basically pays for miles Morales. Second store (across the street) traded in the second batch towards Lies of P and price matched that at $50 again without issue and got like $2 in credit. Sad it ends today, probably would have done 1 more, but have other things to do today.

Ended up being like $13 for assassin's creed and $23 for Lies of P.

they said they hadnt price matched for months wheni tried to price match mirage at gamestop. never falling for gamestops shit again they dont want my games

My second time quoting myself, but this time it is to answer my own question rather than ask it again. I was able to use 25+15+10 certs along with the trade deal, and I think $42.90 went back on a trade card, so it worked perfectly. I did this at 3 different GameStops. Used pretty much all my points. At the third store one of the clerks said that corporate walked back the decision to expire everyone's credit older than 12 months in December, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Did the MLB and spider man for $34 Mario RPG. Had to renew my pro at $25 though… I was set to lose 11,000 points so I suppose I’ll survive.
I'd advise you to find a use for those points quick, because all points for everyone start to expire on 12/1. New rules make it so that points expire after one year IIRC, so no more stockpiling points forever.

Anyone else have the emal from gamestop titled "Shop EXTREME Black Friday Xbox deals early staring now" that mentions getting a free select digital game with purchase of Xbox Series X? Doesn't seem to work or be mentioned on the actual site.

Anyone else have the emal from gamestop titled "Shop EXTREME Black Friday Xbox deals early staring now" that mentions getting a free select digital game with purchase of Xbox Series X? Doesn't seem to work or be mentioned on the actual site.
Knowing GameStop, the "select digital game" is most likely the Diablo 4 that comes in the bundle.

bread's done
Back