The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
There's no way to add Gamestop giftcard or trade credit card to our online account right? You just gotta manually enter each time?

Ok I know this changes by the minute but as of 12/2 can someone help me fill in the blanks:

Digital Currency
Digital Games
Physical Items
Trade credit - In store
Yes​
Yes​
Yes​
Trade credit - Online
No​
No​
Yes​
$5 coupon - In store
No​
No​
Yes​
$5 coupon - Online
No​
No​
Yes​
Rewards coupons - Online
No​
No​
Yes​
Rewards coupons - in store
No​
No​
Yes​

Notes:
  • Cannot combine 2 of the same rewards coupons in one transaction
  • Why treat the customer this way? Why? Cause fuck em that's why.
Of course the dude was wrong about trade credit working on Digital Currency last time I went in. Ugh.

Haha. Not a reseller. Parent who had some as a middle schooler... now just trying to make sure I'm getting whatever is "best" for my kids all these years later. As you mentioned, some of the art on the cards is really unique. Thanks for the detailed response!

Edit as I constantly forget my thoughts: what does buy singles mean-- like buy specific single cards? That would certainly be direct if looking for a specific card, though I guess could get expensive.
"Buy singles" is kind of a mantra among those who collect trading cards. Given the random nature of booster packs, as well as their prices increasing and pull rates (the chance of getting something valuable) worsening, it's often better just to buy a card you're after over gambling on packs over and over. Sure, that specific card could cost the same as multiple packs, but then multiple packs could lead to nothing but junk you don't want or need. So, if you know there's a card your kids really want, it might be best just to buy it (TCGplayer is a great marketplace for singles, or if you have a local game store, of course). But, if all they want to do is bust some packs, then bust those packs! There's always that chance there will be something amazing in there.

As for us adults, buy singles.;)

Anyone with Xfinity for internet or cable should check their rewards (I use the app). YMMV but some got a reward for $15 or $25 for GameStop, twitch or Xbox (you pick the store). Maybe PS as well, there is a mystery no logo choice which people are saying is PlayStation. I got $15 but I’m only gold tier. You Need to redeem by Dec 11.

Last edited:
I need to do a return today but my credit card company issued me a new card (there was a fraud alert) since I made the purchase. Will it be a problem making the return with a new/different credit card than the one I made the purchase with?

BUY SINGLES.

Seriously though, I don't closely follow the financial aspect of the Pokemon TCG and I really don't play the game much anymore (just buying for the art now), so I usually just grab the latest set and/or whichever set I don't have much of. I know that some sets become more valuable than others, based not only on contents but perceived pull rates and raw availability. The best sets are the special ones like Crown Zenith, 151, Shining Fates, the ones that have lots of special cards, but those ones' booster packs aren't sold individually. You can only get them in gift boxes, tins, and the like. Basically, if you're buying for a kid, you can get pretty much anything he/she doesn't already have a lot of (so if he/she has already gotten lots of Paldea Evolved packs for example, maybe avoid that one). As an adult, just check out the set list and see if anything appeals to you from a gameplay or art standpoint. And, if you're a reseller, well, fuck you.

I got three packs of Paradox Rift and only paid $5 thanks to the BOGO and my monthly, and I pulled two different $10 rares, so I'm a happy camper lol even if they weren't worth much though, I'd still be happy because they're very nice (this really cool gold Reversal Energy and this beautiful Illustration Rare Minior, which is a Pokemon I'm only familiar with from New Pokemon Snap lol).

Oh, and I asked about using the monthly on currency cards and the guy I'm very friendly with there checked the system...no dice. It's gone for good.
YouTubers and influencers have ruined the market

Anyone with Xfinity for internet or cable should check their rewards (I use the app). YMMV but some got a reward for $15 or $25 for GameStop, twitch or Xbox (you pick the store). Maybe PS as well, there is a mystery no logo choice which people are saying is PlayStation. I got $15 but I’m only gold tier. You Need to redeem by Dec 11.
Ugh... I have this but says promo expired. :whistle2:( Guessing it was redeemed by too many people already.

EDIT* tried it again and it worked! Woo! Free $25!

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to price match with Walmart? The Xbox Series X is $349 at Walmart, but I doubt Gamestop would price match that low of a price.

If anyone has Xfinity and is part of their rewards program, I had a free $25 giftcard for Gamestop or PSN/Microsoft (and maybe Eshop?) in my reward options. Platinum level with them so not sure if it's specific to level.

I just went ahead and PM’d the Diablo bundle with Target, with the 5% it was hella worth. Just gonna trade in my X to GameStop and use the credit for games
Now I'm thinking about doing that. You get 350 trade credit right now for a Series X. If I also price match with Target, it would come out to like $363 after the Red Card discount. That would mean I would get a brand new console and warranty and game for $13.
*EDIT* I just checked and that deal is no longer available. Also showing that Walmart is not shipping and selling it. Usually, Target will only PM if Walmart is the only selling it. I did find the Series X with no game for $349.99 shipped and sold by Walmart so that's still a great deal.

Last edited:
If anyone has Xfinity and is part of their rewards program, I had a free $25 giftcard for Gamestop or PSN/Microsoft (and maybe Eshop?) in my reward options. Platinum level with them so not sure if it's specific to level.
Thanks for pointing that out! There was a $25 gift card option for me too. I had no idea that there was an xfinity rewards program until seeing this.

I've gotten a few free giftcards over the years from it (Barnes and Noble, Fanatics) but usually just get B1G1 Fandango tickets. I try to check it every few weeks.

I've still never gotten anything from Xfinity rewards. All their rewards program is doing is making me want to switch back to Visible as soon as my contract is up. Have Gold tier too.

I need to do a return today but my credit card company issued me a new card (there was a fraud alert) since I made the purchase. Will it be a problem making the return with a new/different credit card than the one I made the purchase with?
Call your credit card company?

You shouldn't have any problems
I didn't have any problems using my new credit card for the refund. However, before that I had a problem with the kid working not wanting to do the return and trying everything he could to talk me out of it. Because of his attitude I didn't have any issues with them giving me back double what I originally paid for the game (the game was one of the 50% off titles but the refund came back for the full amount).

Was about to make an online order only to find out that LP also revoked 15K points from my "Pro not Pro" account for reasons under "[t]ermination." That's $40 in total that GS has pilfered. Not going to wait on their final decision by the end of the week since they're doubling down towards a verdict in their favor. Fine, more ammo for my chargeback then.

Now, I don't wanna miss the 50% trade boost promo set to end on 12/9. Does anybody have experience in creating a new account with an alt email and subbing to Pro "for the first time" using the same name and phone number? Did GS flag your "second account" upon or right after subbing to Pro?

Last edited:
Was about to make an online order only to find out that LP also revoked 15K points from my "Pro not Pro" account for reasons under "[t]ermination." That's $40 in total that GS has pilfered. Not going to wait on their final decision by the end of the week since they're doubling down towards a verdict in their favor. Fine, more ammo for my chargeback then.

Now, I don't wanna miss the 50% trade boost promo set to end on 12/9. Does anybody have experience in creating a new account with an alt email and subbing to Pro "for the first time" using the same name and phone number? Did GS flag your "second account" upon or right after subbing to Pro?
Sounds like a relationship where you should move on. 😄

Is Apple considered gaming currency?

I don't think so currently, but haven't checked for a bit.

It will be flagged by last name and zip code. The new account will likely be banned the following day.

It is very difficult to read through so many posts and the pinned is sort of old but does anyone know:

Can the reward certificates stack on a single item if they are of different denominations (Use a $15 and a $5 on a $30 game)?

I know the double dip on the $5 monthly still works, but that was never a thing with the reward certificates right?

Gift cards to purchase digital currency (be it physical cards or receipt prints) is also officially dead? But trade credit works still?

It is very difficult to read through so many posts and the pinned is sort of old but does anyone know:

Can the reward certificates stack on a single item if they are of different denominations (Use a $15 and a $5 on a $30 game)?

I know the double dip on the $5 monthly still works, but that was never a thing with the reward certificates right?

Gift cards to purchase digital currency (be it physical cards or receipt prints) is also officially dead? But trade credit works still?

Two certificates of the same denomination cannot be used in the same transaction, but you can use two different denominations. (EX. Two $1 certificates can not be used in the same transaction, but a $1 certificate and a $5 certificate can be used in the same transaction). No cash back. Maximum of 3 certificates can be used per day, per member.

Yes--one difference is gift cards are taxed everywhere while trade credit isn't taxed in certain states. While both are technically "funny money" in the GameStop sense, they're distinct payment methods.
Imagine your TiV card(s) turned to 0 upon a ban...thank goodness they're not tied to your accounts.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back