The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Doubt it. Sony has quit on the psvr2.

It will be $350 by summer and $300 by fall to clear stock.
We’re still in the first phase of Sony failing hardware/peripheral though. About a year from now there’s going to be a renaissance/rebirth/rebranding/relaunch phase where they try to throw a nice bundle out with maybe a new exclusive handful of games. Then when that fails it’s going to be firesale time.

It’s happened over and over again, eyetoy, PSP, Vita, PS Move, VR1, so on and so forth. I can only think of one time where the “relaunch” actually succeeded in pulling a hardware back from the brink and that was PS3.

Last edited:
We’re still in the first phase of Sony failing hardware/peripheral though. About a year from now there’s going to be a renaissance/rebirth/rebranding/relaunch phase where they try to throw a nice bundle out with maybe a new exclusive handful of games. Then when that fails it’s going to be firesale time.

It’s happened over and over again, eyetoy, PSP, Vita, PS Move, VR1, so on and so forth. I can only think of one time where the “relaunch” actually succeeded in pulling a hardware back from the brink and that was PS3.
the psp was actually successful (sold almost 90 million). the others though i agree

the psp was actually successful (sold almost 90 million). the others though i agree
Hardware-wise definitely, software sales were abysmal for PSP though. It had one of the lowest software attach rates for any console (under 4) ever. The only consoles with a lower tie ratio were Intellivision and Atari 7800 and 5200.

There was a time when I actually preferred the PSP over the DS, which is a big deal because growing up, I was primarily a Nintendo gamer. But, I was really getting into JRPGS after having finally gotten a PS2 and I just greatly preferred the PSP library over the DS one. Of course, I eventually got some great DS JRPGs and came to love both systems, but I just adored the PSP. The graphics were so much better and though I liked the dual screens on the DS, the screen on the PSP was so bright and vibrant. It really breaks my heart that Sony let the Vita die because it was an even better handheld than the PSP. They really knew how to make beautiful, ergonomic, and powerful handhelds and then they just, didn't care anymore. Like yeah I know, Portal, but that's just a streaming device, not a dedicated handheld. I'd honestly buy a real Vita 2 in a heartbeat.

weren't software sales so low because pirating was so easy and rampant? which introduced proprietary memory cards with the vita?

From what I remember, the PSP required boot-loading the firmware before you could pirate games. Vs the DS, you just had to buy a boot-loading cart that used an SD card loaded with the boot-loading software and whatever games you wanted. PSP method was free since you just had to download stuff vs DS method required a purchase but was SO easy... not sure how much of an impact either had but I'm sure it was significant given the steps both Nintendo and Sony took with the successors. I don't know if I believe the proprietary memory card was for piracy reasons, I think Sony just got greedy.

I never "pirated" anything in the traditional sense, I would only "pirate" games if I owned them since it was convenient to have multiple games without having to carry them around (lost a DS case with 3 games so yeah, didn't want that to happen again). The R4 was awesome... after getting it, I stopped opening my DS games since it was pointless/didn't need the actual carts... and so I ended up with a ton of sealed DS games that I still have.LOL

There was a time when I actually preferred the PSP over the DS, which is a big deal because growing up, I was primarily a Nintendo gamer. But, I was really getting into JRPGS after having finally gotten a PS2 and I just greatly preferred the PSP library over the DS one. Of course, I eventually got some great DS JRPGs and came to love both systems, but I just adored the PSP. The graphics were so much better and though I liked the dual screens on the DS, the screen on the PSP was so bright and vibrant. It really breaks my heart that Sony let the Vita die because it was an even better handheld than the PSP. They really knew how to make beautiful, ergonomic, and powerful handhelds and then they just, didn't care anymore. Like yeah I know, Portal, but that's just a streaming device, not a dedicated handheld. I'd honestly buy a real Vita 2 in a heartbeat.

I would love it if Sony would just make essentially a PS4 handheld. Plays everything the PS4 can and then can stream your PS5 like the portal. That way they don't have to specifically release games for it and support it and most indie stuff releasing still have a PS4 version too so it would still get support. Would buy that day 1.

I would love it if Sony would just make essentially a PS4 handheld. Plays everything the PS4 can and then can stream your PS5 like the portal. That way they don't have to specifically release games for it and support it and most indie stuff releasing still have a PS4 version too so it would still get support. Would buy that day 1.
That's essentially what Steam Deck is, no? It's certainly how I use mine. If you have PS Plus Premium, you just stream your PS collection onto it. If PS5 streaming from devices that aren't PS5 is in the works, then it will span generations. I don't like to play locally installed games on it since the battery life is less than 2 hours for a modern game, but it lasts a long time if it's streaming. I haven't tried Remote Play, but setting up Game Pass is even easier. And of course you can buy Humble Bundles for almost nothing.

That's essentially what Steam Deck is, no? It's certainly how I use mine. If you have PS Plus Premium, you just stream your PS collection onto it. If PS5 streaming from devices that aren't PS5 is in the works, then it will span generations. I don't like to play locally installed games on it since the battery life is less than 2 hours for a modern game, but it lasts a long time if it's streaming. I haven't tried Remote Play, but setting up Game Pass is even easier. And of course you can buy Humble Bundles for almost nothing.
Yeah essentially a Steam Deck, but essentially everything works without tinkering. I'm not a huge PC gamer so I have a much bigger library on Playstation and Chiaki was super inconsistent for me from one play session to the next and I find myself tinkering with settings too much.

In regards to the $25 off $250+ going on now... does the discount still apply if you trade things toward the $250+ item? Or do you have to spend cash?

Yeah essentially a Steam Deck, but essentially everything works without tinkering. I'm not a huge PC gamer so I have a much bigger library on Playstation and Chiaki was super inconsistent for me from one play session to the next and I find myself tinkering with settings too much.
Everyone forgets the poor ol vita streamed ps4 games too. Now compatibility was spotty since some titles used the middle touch pad on the ps4 mote like .hack and Berseria. Which I couldn't figure out for the vita. Gu is mandatory since it opens up the map and you need it for the tutorial.

Nintendo always ruled handhelds for me and got me early but throughout the years, I was able to own a PSP Go and Vita through trades but had to sell them shortly thereafter(stupid bills and life stuff)but I enjoyed my time I had with them even though it was short. I go back and forth about getting a Vita now but my backlog is already too long and a vita would just make it even longer. Maybe one day.....

Picked up the Avatar PS5 gold steelbook today for $100. Was excited though after reading it's an online only DRM contorller single player game, I might return it. Also, the CE is in stock and shipping!

Picked up the Avatar PS5 gold steelbook today for $100. Was excited though after reading it's an online only DRM contorller single player game, I might return it. Also, the CE is in stock and shipping!
i believe there was an update that made the game playable offline without the online requirement.

i believe there was an update that made the game playable offline without the online requirement.

My understanding is the disc is broken/unplayable without having internet first to ‘activate’ the game and force an update.

I wonder many years from now will our discs be rendered useless? I have an attic full of PC DVD games that I literally cannot use any longer. Tried installing some last year and the coded drm crashed my PC to a blue screen.

Ya there’s literally 0 risk to them as long as they aren’t stupid. (Like don’t go to Walmart and try to return 5 at the same time)

Buying them from GS to scalp is in fact stupid though, they're the worst return policy, especially if they hit you with the limited product return policy.

Hard to sort through all the info, are there any worthwhile trade-in deals going on? I remember the trade more get 50% bonus, have they done these recently?

My Pro sub ran out on the 18th. Pouring one out for how much value that I used to get from it.
2e3f2bcd-a785-4b91-8e4c-d51dd9892c13_text.gif

My Pro sub ran out on the 18th. Pouring one out for how much value that I used to get from it.

My sub ends in two days. Never used it to do a single thing for multiplayer. Only ever used it to redeem the free monthly games. And know how many I played all year? Zero.

At least I only paid $30 for the sub last December during the special offer. That’s the max I’ll pay for the ‘right’ to play online games. Which I don’t anymore as it is.

They did a 40% in October I think it was, but trade values were really low, no 50% wild trades like the last few years no. This is the first time I’m at least 4 years they haven’t done it. The $485 XSX trade, and $75 Joy Cons trades from 2022 banked me so much credit last year.

They did a 40% in October I think it was, but trade values were really low, no 50% wild trades like the last few years no. This is the first time I’m at least 4 years they haven’t done it. The $485 XSX trade, and $75 Joy Cons trades from 2022 banked me so much credit last year.
It was 50% from Black Friday to 12/9...

My sub ends in two days. Never used it to do a single thing for multiplayer. Only ever used it to redeem the free monthly games. And know how many I played all year? Zero.

At least I only paid $30 for the sub last December during the special offer. That’s the max I’ll pay for the ‘right’ to play online games. Which I don’t anymore as it is.
Pro is not Plus my guy...

Pro is not Plus my guy...

Agreed. Just saw talks of PS+ subs as well. I only had PS+ and not once used any service besides the redemption of ’free’ monthly games. And then still never played those games.

As far as GS pro, it was good. Used it to get psn credit monthly. Now the program is clearly a joke.

If I used a giftcard to partially pay for an item online and I end up returning it in store, is the return handled in the same fashion- giftcard portion goes back to a giftcard and the credit card portion goes to the same card? I'm assuming that's what happens but with GS, I never know.

Another question, can I use a giftcard towards a preorder that I already placed? Guessing no.

If I used a giftcard to partially pay for an item online and I end up returning it in store, is the return handled in the same fashion- giftcard portion goes back to a giftcard and the credit card portion goes to the same card? I'm assuming that's what happens but with GS, I never know.

Another question, can I use a giftcard towards a preorder that I already placed? Guessing no.
Once I did a return that I used a gift card and a credit card and they refunded the whole transaction back to my credit card. You should be able to use a giftcard towards a preorder, I don't see why not.

bread's done
Back