The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Mine expired Dec 28th and did not renew. Sales associate tried to spin that I saved $340 last year (no idea how that was possible). It's sad because I remember going to this store when it was a Funcoland (would give you double the credit if took store credit..and yes I am that old). For me the final nail was Game Informer no longer being physical. At least even if I didn't go to the store I would have something physical each month (and yes aagin I am old).

Actually looked into subscrubing to EDGE magazine, but don't know the quality of that magazine (it's like the only physical magazone still out there)

I haven't bought a used game from Gamestop in I don't know how long. In fact, I haven't bought a new game from them that wasn't a pre-order in a very long time, either. In-store stock is pathetic, and even if I did meet the free shipping threshold online, I don't want to play the Gutted Lottery. My membership expires I believe in August and I probably won't renew. I only use the monthly coupons for knock $5 off a pre-order, and when there's a month I don't have a pre-order with them (which is happening more and more often), I used to use the $5 on eShop or Steam credit, but now that that option's gone, it's a struggle to find something I actually want to use it on. Paying $25 a year to be forced into their store when I have no reason to go and getting a free pack of cards is just not worth it for me. Sure, I'll be losing the occasional $5 off a pre-order, but I can live with that. I'm trying to cut down how many game pre-orders I make, anyway. Need to get back in touch with my inner CAG and only pre-order games I know I'll play right away.

GameStop ending a lease they began in May 2021 to expedite shipping along the east coast. Employees getting laid off.

Gamestop Fullfillment Center
20 Leo Lane
York, PA 17406

COUNTY: York
# AFFECTED: 155
EFFECTIVE DATE: 3/15/24 - 9/30/24
CLOSURE OR LAYOFF: Closure

I haven't bought a used game from Gamestop in I don't know how long. In fact, I haven't bought a new game from them that wasn't a pre-order in a very long time, either. In-store stock is pathetic, and even if I did meet the free shipping threshold online, I don't want to play the Gutted Lottery. My membership expires I believe in August and I probably won't renew. I only use the monthly coupons for knock $5 off a pre-order, and when there's a month I don't have a pre-order with them (which is happening more and more often), I used to use the $5 on eShop or Steam credit, but now that that option's gone, it's a struggle to find something I actually want to use it on. Paying $25 a year to be forced into their store when I have no reason to go and getting a free pack of cards is just not worth it for me. Sure, I'll be losing the occasional $5 off a pre-order, but I can live with that. I'm trying to cut down how many game pre-orders I make, anyway. Need to get back in touch with my inner CAG and only pre-order games I know I'll play right away.
Yes, its sad been a PRO member forever, I think GS is going the way of Circuit City and Best Buy game program. Almost everything is digital these days so collect what you can, it will only increase in value.

Just got a “new“ game in one of their generic black stinky cases, that is always a treat. They aren’t just cutting back on benefits or raising prices, they are increasingly scamming customers as well. I don’t think it’s based on just selling pre-owned as new, but ease of fulfillment, and just clearing out inventory. Waste of my time and patience having to go out in this weather, to a store filled with nothing I’m interested in browsing, to argue with an underpaid and untrained temp about being unable to a return a ”new” game after it’s open.
You must've missed the piece of tape that they placed over the edge of your case. Clearly your copy has been opened!

Anyone know if the $50 bonus for PS5 is still going, or even what the current ones are?

Last edited:
FREE HAT!
AMece5T.gif

Has anyone seen or been to a closing GameStop? Did they have true clearance/liquidation sales?
In past years it was, in my experience, staggered like any store closing, and sometimes everything back to msrp then marked down in icrements over time - 10%, 20, 50, 75, etc. By the time you get to 75% it's all sports games, barren shelves, and dustbunnies. An outside company usually handled the liquidation pricing while the staff remained the same until the end.

In past years it was, in my experience, staggered like any store closing, and sometimes everything back to msrp then marked down in icrements over time - 10%, 20, 50, 75, etc. By the time you get to 75% it's all sports games, barren shelves, and dustbunnies. An outside company usually handled the liquidation pricing while the staff remained the same until the end.

Except for Pops the stores generally are pretty barren. Most stores don’t get extras of new games. So except for games they haven’t been able to move there really isn’t much to clearance out at a store closing. I’m sure since store leads have to handle multiple stores, they taken any decent stock out and place it in their other store.

I just went in today to pick up my Xenoblade Amiibo. Asked if they’d be getting Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth on time. The store already got their copies, preorders are shut off and they got no extras for release day. That’s GameStop nowadays.

Just got a “new“ game in one of their generic black stinky cases, that is always a treat. They aren’t just cutting back on benefits or raising prices, they are increasingly scamming customers as well. I don’t think it’s based on just selling pre-owned as new, but ease of fulfillment, and just clearing out inventory. Waste of my time and patience having to go out in this weather, to a store filled with nothing I’m interested in browsing, to argue with an underpaid and untrained temp about being unable to a return a ”new” game after it’s open.

Assuming your in the US, complain to your state's office of consumer protection. I did this the last time I got "gamestop new" games and I got a full refund, got to keep the games, and they gave me a $25 gift card as a "my bad" gesture. They pay attention to states because enough bait and switch complaints and the state can pull the business license.

Went into the store today to try to use my $5 coupon. Most just looking for psvr or PSVR2 games but the local store didn't really have anything in stock I was interested in. He did tell me that if you order in store, he only need to order $25 or more for free shipping. Not sure if that is known or not but that's what he told me.

The End is near, you know how Gamestop feels like now? Kmart!! so it is only a matter of time.

I will miss the great employees and also the douchebags with passive aggressive behavior.

Last edited:
Yes, its sad been a PRO member forever, I think GS is going the way of Circuit City and Best Buy game program. Almost everything is digital these days so collect what you can, it will only increase in value.

I haven't traded games into GameStop in quite awhile. And I have multiples of some switch games. Used to be if I can get $40+, they were gone... but with switch games seemingly going out of print it's hard to let go of stuff now. Even PS4 games that I have duplicates of, I don't know if I necessarily want to trade in. And not just because PS4 gen is over, but there seems to be a sharp decline in production and sale of physical games.

It's a dark time no matter how you look at it, especially if you enjoy buying physical games and have been gaming for decades.

Assuming your in the US, complain to your state's office of consumer protection. I did this the last time I got "gamestop new" games and I got a full refund, got to keep the games, and they gave me a $25 gift card as a "my bad" gesture. They pay attention to states because enough bait and switch complaints and the state can pull the business license.
Done. On the one hand, “pros” know about this practice already, but not everyone does. They need a disclaimer, sell everything pre-owned after a certain timeframe, if the majority of new are opened after that release window, or actually track that BS like any normal company would be expected to. It’s over 50% now in those cases, easy. They can give a hard time in store trying to return open new games, and they charge for returns through the mail, on top of the general hassle of having to do a return anyway. Open with a “pwamise” it’s unused is one thing, but missing contents or original cases is another, and they do it as a widespread fulfillment practice, it’s not sporadic or a mistake. Try that with returns to a company, they would come down with a hammer.

Last edited:
can sony please restock the ps portal already ?? this is ridiculous
They have been. Local GameStops that care about their in store customers basically are waiting a day to scan them as received. Because if they are received, online scalpers instantly buy them. They just let customers know they have them and sell them to customers. If you have an employee you are on good terms with, they may be able to help you secure one.

Try to call the local store—- goes straight to India now — after fighting the auto- menu

can sony please restock the ps portal already ?? this is ridiculous

They have been, it's just that there are people like this who's lives revolve around scalping that makes it impossible to find one.

Yes, a little perturbed, because I looked at buying the PS PORTAL, but rather picked up a ASUS ROG 7 ally for 299.99 open box after reading on CAG somewhere about comparing this and the steam deck that was 269 at GS, but they were out. I had some RZ certs from promos so in end got it under 200 and I have to say I really like it. I understand the frustration that some have with it, because basically it is a Windows 11 PC with a controller frame, you can install almost anything just takes a lot more work, but what is nice is that I can use word, office, check email, browse the web, etc. while traveling which is a nice plus, rather than just playing games. My open box didnt have plug, but the gal at BB just grabbed a new one out of the box and gave it to me. Also, checked and did get the Extreme which is really fast and the screen is clear and beautiful. NOW, the issues, wont let me REMOTE MY PS5, but can PS stream, both xbox remote and cloud work perfect, EXACTLY the same as my black BACKBONE USB-C which is so stupid, so is SONY purposely trying to monopolize certain controllers so you have to buy theirs, pretty pathetic.

Yes, a little perturbed, because I looked at buying the PS PORTAL, but rather picked up a ASUS ROG 7 ally for 299.99 open box after reading on CAG somewhere about comparing this and the steam deck that was 269 at GS, but they were out. I had some RZ certs from promos so in end got it under 200 and I have to say I really like it. I understand the frustration that some have with it, because basically it is a Windows 11 PC with a controller frame, you can install almost anything just takes a lot more work, but what is nice is that I can use word, office, check email, browse the web, etc. while traveling which is a nice plus, rather than just playing games. My open box didnt have plug, but the gal at BB just grabbed a new one out of the box and gave it to me. Also, checked and did get the Extreme which is really fast and the screen is clear and beautiful. NOW, the issues, wont let me REMOTE MY PS5, but can PS stream, both xbox remote and cloud work perfect, EXACTLY the same as my black BACKBONE USB-C which is so stupid, so is SONY purposely trying to monopolize certain controllers so you have to buy theirs, pretty pathetic.
Damn how did you get the extreme for $299? That's the open box price for just the regular Z1

Damn how did you get the extreme for $299? That's the open box price for just the regular Z1
I think they mislabeled it as Z1, I was shocked when setting it up and looked in the myasus app and it said 8 core Z1 extreme, it is really as though but sucks I cant REMOTE play my PS5, xbox works awesome, actually they all do, steam, EA, EPIC, that is the nice thing about windows 11. Can stream spectrum cable, movies, check email, office. Looking at getting a dock station and setting it up as a full computer also. I like to how you can distribute how much RAM you want for GPU. There has to be an app or MOD for setting up a different controller, maybe PSJOY or something.

I think they mislabeled it as Z1, I was shocked when setting it up and looked in the myasus app and it said 8 core Z1 extreme, it is really as though but sucks I cant REMOTE play my PS5, xbox works awesome, actually they all do, steam, EA, EPIC, that is the nice thing about windows 11. Can stream spectrum cable, movies, check email, office. Looking at getting a dock station and setting it up as a full computer also. I like to how you can distribute how much RAM you want for GPU. There has to be an app or MOD for setting up a different controller, maybe PSJOY or something.
That's such an awesome score. Very jealous. Got the regular Z1 open box a couple weeks ago pretty much same situation as you with a bunch of rewards certs. It was basically brand new and super happy with it. Wish I could have gotten the extreme though!

That's such an awesome score. Very jealous. Got the regular Z1 open box a couple weeks ago pretty much same situation as you with a bunch of rewards certs. It was basically brand new and super happy with it. Wish I could have gotten the extreme though!
Have you tried using PS Remote Play?

As someone said, a lot of stores are just blanket saying they don't have unless your a physical person in store they feel like selling to to prevent it. They're just going to keep saying no over the phone because then they get someone showing up trying to buy everything causing a confrontation they don't want.

Wish any of the GameStop near me had more than 10-15 games for buy 4 for $10/20. It's the same 10-15 games too, old CoD, old Assassin's Creed and sports games.

Select handbags dropped another 10% (from 30% to now 40%...). Gonna visit the same GS I bought the Godzilla plush bag from and try to see if they can honor the price difference. Hasn't been over two weeks yet. Wish me luck, guys.

I took the liberty of compiling a list of the B4F20 games I think are probably worth your wallet and to save you guys some precious time:

Armello Special Edition (PS4)
Ary and the Secret of Seasons (PS4/XB1)
Blacksad Under the Skin Limited Edition (PS4/XB1)
Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition (XB1)
Cristales (PS5/XB1)
Darksiders III (PS4/XB1)
Darksiders Genesis (PS4/XB1)
Death's Gambit (PS4)
Devil May Cry Definitive Edition (XB1)
Dolmen (PS4)
Dragon Star Varnir (PS4)
Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning (PS4)
Marsupilami Hoobadventure (PS4)
Mega Man Legacy Collection (XB1)
Monkey King Hero is Back (PS4)
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (PS4)
Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden (PS4/XB1)
Necormunda Hired Gun (XB1)
Pillars of Eternity Complete Edition (XB1)
Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire (PS4)
Sayonara Wild Hearts (PS4)
Scarlet Nexus (PS5/PS4/XB1)
Shadows Awakening (PS4/XB1)
Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun (PS4/XB1)
Tales of Arise (PS4)
Tales of Zestiria (PS4)
The Surge (PS4)
The Surge 2 (PS4)
Toukiden Kiwami (PS4)
Vikings Wolves of Midgard (XB1)
Victor Vran Overkill Edition (PS4/XB1)
World of Final Fantasy Maxima (XB1)

Last edited:
And another list for the "retro games" if you're lucky enough to find them:

Battle Fantasia (360)
Dead to Rights Retribution (PS3)
Digimon All-Star Rumble (360)
Dragon's Crown (PS3)
Enchanted Arms (360)
Eternal Sonata (360)
Jade Empire (XBX)
Killer is Dead (360)
Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer (NDS)
NeverDead (PS3/360)
Ninety-Nine Nights (360)
Overlord (360)
Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
Ragnarok Odyssey ACE (PS3)
Resident Evil Archives (WII)
Resident Evil Archives Resident Evil 0 (WII)
Tales of Xillia (PS3)
Tenchu Z (360)
The Darkness (PS3)
The Darkness II (PS3)
Time Crisis 4 (PS3)
Turok (PS3/360)
X-Men Destiny (PS3/360)

Last edited:
Select handbags dropped another 10% (from 30% to now 40%...). Gonna visit the same GS I bought the Godzilla plush bag from and try to see if they can honor the price difference. Hasn't been over two weeks yet. Wish me luck, guys.
Only have to buy TWO handbags for Free Shipping!
In all seriousness, though...it is a pretty cool looking bag.

bread's done
Back