The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Whelp, redeemed all my points and my pro ends in 5 days, I think after that I’m officially no longer a customer. All their changes to Pro were so scummy, they removed the $50 reward certificate option at the same time they made the points expire, thus making it MUCH harder to use them. Honestly almost fraudulent in my mind.
I can't even begin to imagine what would happen to all the non-expiring Pro accounts and the $100s in TiV cards when GS finally goes kaput.

I can't even begin to imagine what would happen to all the non-expiring Pro accounts and the $100s in TiV cards when GS finally goes kaput.
Hell, with how little inventory it seems like they have online and in most stores it feels difficult to even spend much right now, let alone if everyone started panic buying with their credit because they were going under…

Just out of curiosity, I checked on Last of Us 2 Remaster, of the half dozen stores within 15 miles of me, only 1 has 1 copy in stock… Tekken 8 is a little more readily available, 5 of the 6 stores have 1-2 copies.

I know it’s beating a dead horse, but this type of light inventory is exactly the thing you start to see with companies that are facing financial/cashflow issues.

Hell, with how little inventory it seems like they have online and in most stores it feels difficult to even spend much right now, let alone if everyone started panic buying with their credit because they were going under…

Just out of curiosity, I checked on Last of Us 2 Remaster, of the half dozen stores within 15 miles of me, only 1 has 1 copy in stock… Tekken 8 is a little more readily available, 5 of the 6 stores have 1-2 copies.

I know it’s beating a dead horse, but this type of light inventory is exactly the thing you start to see with companies that are facing financial/cashflow issues.
Online inventory sucks because it subtracts 1 from the in store quantity. So if a store has one copy, online it will show 0. Those store may have a copy, but it would be the gut.

Online inventory sucks because it subtracts 1 from the in store quantity. So if a store has one copy, online it will show 0. Those store may have a copy, but it would be the gut.
Right, but that raises another point, if they really want to transition more to online sales, even pushing pickup in store, how are they the last remaining retailer that can’t figure out true, close to realtime online inventory numbers. Online sales/inventory, in store pickup has been a thing for almost 20 years now and they still struggle with it.

If you call the store they can tell you if they have one copy and what other stores have in stock even if it's just one copy. It's not always gutted either as I've gotten games that were complete and was the last game left in the store.

Right, but that raises another point, if they really want to transition more to online sales, even pushing pickup in store, how are they the last remaining retailer that can’t figure out true, close to realtime online inventory numbers. Online sales/inventory, in store pickup has been a thing for almost 20 years now and they still struggle with it.
Because they don't actually want to succeed, all they want to do is spike the stock one last time.

So apparently you can't use more than $25 of rewards certs in a transaction anymore if your Pro is expired? Since when???
Doesn't say that anywhere on the certificates.
Fortunately, I had a $25 certificate to spare to renew but still. Thought I was finally free. :wall:
Anyway, how do gift receipt returns work these days? Do you get the amount of credit paid, the price at time of return or MSRP?
How long is the return window?

Last edited:
Gamestop-bullshit.png

I will be getting payback for this; I just haven't decided how.

So apparently you can't use more than $25 of rewards certs in a transaction anymore if your Pro is expired? Since when???
Doesn't say that anywhere on the certificates.
Fortunately, I had a $25 certificate to spare to renew but still. Thought I was finally free. :wall:
Anyway, how do gift receipt returns work these days? Do you get the amount of credit paid, the price at time of return or MSRP?
How long is the return window?

not just if you're expired. They told me I couldn't use more than $25 in a transaction in October while I was spending them, and active.

Gamestop-bullshit.png

not just if you're expired. They told me I couldn't use more than $25 in a transaction in October while I was spending them, and active.
That's nuts. I had 2 certs expiring today that I had to figure out how to use on Sunday and was able to utilize them both in one transaction ($15 and $25).

Gamestop-bullshit.png

I was able to use 3 of different denominations multiple times tonight so that's just bullshit.
They’ll say anything to sell a membership.
Normally would agree but could tell the guy was having a hard time applying everything. If he faked all that, he deserves whatever karma he gets.

Gamestop-bullshit.png

I asked a question about points expiring and someone else they're supposed to notify you 1 month before points expire that you're gonna have points expire... guessing that didn't happen?

No, they sent out an email about it in..October I believe saying points would expire 12 months after being earned. They aren't going to update people individually or probably ever again after that.

Gamestop got sick of being robbed. So now they started robbing customers. 🤡
Literally true. Reposting from another reply I wrote elsewhere:

My last two web-in-store orders were never refunded even though my cancellation emails assured me the funds would be returned to my original form of payment (my debit card). Apparently the refund is actually applied to a non-existent gift card which the store, in conjunction with their inept store service phone line, need to work together to apply. After multiple visits, and multiple calls to this line, I've not received either refund, so basically GameStop had stolen $60 of my money in the last few months. Thankfully, the local management has made things right by refunding me cash from the register each time because nobody else could do anything to fix this. Apparently this is just how their system works - I can only imagine how much GameStop has stolen from its customers who haven't caught this like I did. Seems like they're begging for a lawsuit.

I've read elsewhere that cancelled online pickup orders might work this same way, but I've not experienced it myself yet.

Literally true. Reposting from another reply I wrote elsewhere:

My last two web-in-store orders were never refunded even though my cancellation emails assured me the funds would be returned to my original form of payment (my debit card). Apparently the refund is actually applied to a non-existent gift card which the store, in conjunction with their inept store service phone line, need to work together to apply. After multiple visits, and multiple calls to this line, I've not received either refund, so basically GameStop had stolen $60 of my money in the last few months. Thankfully, the local management has made things right by refunding me cash from the register each time because nobody else could do anything to fix this. Apparently this is just how their system works - I can only imagine how much GameStop has stolen from its customers who haven't caught this like I did. Seems like they're begging for a lawsuit.

I've read elsewhere that cancelled online pickup orders might work this same way, but I've not experienced it myself yet.
Can confirm that a few months ago when my online pickup order was cancelled by the store, my trade credit got stuck in a limbo and it took many email with customer service for them to even see that I was charged. The charge never showed up but the amount was subtracted.

Does it take +1 day after renewing for 5k points to show up on account?

Also- already redeemed my $5/monthly today for a ps3 game, is it possible I'll get another $5/monthly for the later part of month or nah?
(my sub was set to expire middle of the month)

Why are people still renewing? is there really that big of a benefit? Why am I not seeing this?

(Is this because I decided midway through the ps4 life to stop trading in my games and just watch my collection build?)
I think if you still buy things there frequently it's probably worth having. If you buy 1 thing a month normally you get $5 off at the very least.

Why are people still renewing? is there really that big of a benefit? Why am I not seeing this?

(Is this because I decided midway through the ps4 life to stop trading in my games and just watch my collection build?)

honestly I dont know lol

I got mlb the show for $10 and flipped it, that and some points I had paid for the difference, that hopefully I'll get back with the 5k as a perk of renewing.

..there's increasingly less benefit, and though I defend GS being 'the last retailer' dealing in physical media, I wouldn't be terribly upset if they go belly up by how anti-consumer they've become and just straight up dumb about how they run the company.

the fact that they take older games in and thus, stock some at my local stores, means I will prolly just pick up a bunch of ps3 games throughout the year that are on the cheaper side / lower priced compared to eBay most likely in error that I still want (rare but happens).

but they took so much more away last year there aint a chance in hell I'd pay $25 out of pocket for what they are currently 'offering' and I say this all the time but this is prolly my last renewal with the way things are currently and still heading

'EVERGREEN $25 off $250+' deal is one of the biggest LMAO's. Is that what gamers are wanting, most of whom already have the hardware they need to run the software they're buying?

I only re-upped mine because of the crazy ps5 trade in and they gave me and extra 17 bucks on top of paying it off. Anything else i do with it is just icing at this point.

I don't have a pro membership and have 620k in reward points from when I used to shop frequently at GS 2-4 years ago. Is this pretty much worthless now? Don't really have any intention in stepping foot in another store and looks like $15 is the max for online? Can you use multiple online certificates in one transaction?

They’ll say anything to sell a membership.

Yeah they will. When I was in there a week or two ago, to trade in MLB 23, the employee listed off the perks of the new Pro membership and included "we will also price match other stores if you're Pro".

The irony is when I was Pro back in October, I tried to price match Target and another store refused...

I don't have a pro membership and have 620k in reward points from when I used to shop frequently at GS 2-4 years ago. Is this pretty much worthless now? Don't really have any intention in stepping foot in another store and looks like $15 is the max for online? Can you use multiple online certificates in one transaction?
Only Pros can redeem points.

But points expire if you don’t have a Pro account. So I’m betting if you are seeing anything, it’s some sort of error.

620,000 points = $620.

You can redeem one $15, $10, $5, and $1 cert to use on a single online transaction.

In your case, for you to fully cash out...you must conduct exactly 20 different online transactions.

Unless you want to pay shipping 20 different times, or spend $1600 in order to get free shipping (minimum $79 per cart before any discounts), and get a hit or miss trying to apply certs during checkout (certain promos will block you from using them)...better to redeem the in-store ones which will all guarantee to work...in-store (yes, even on in-store promos...), and you'll be able to cash out faster since $25 is an option (for now). You should've withdrawn when $50 certs were redeemable at the time. Good luck, happy hunting.

Last edited:
All those points may have expired in December as they made a change that points expire 1 year after receiving them.

Just came back from the Gamestop in Shelton, CT. I was attempting to trade in an Series X Controller for some Xbox Currency, which was supposed to be $22. After the employee took off a $10 refurbushing fee (and freaking TAXED me on it), I ended up with $11.36 in store credit.

I was tempted to walk out of the store, but I asked if I could apply the $11.36 towards a $25 Xbox card. The employee emphatically stated that Gamestop no longer allows trade / store credit to be used towards the purchase of 'digital products', and denied the transaction.

Since Gamestop Employees have been known to just make up policy on the spot, I was wondering if anyone here could corroborate this?

Just came back from the Gamestop in Shelton, CT. I was attempting to trade in an Series X Controller for some Xbox Currency, which was supposed to be $22. After the employee took off a $10 refurbushing fee (and freaking TAXED me on it), I ended up with $11.36 in store credit.

I was tempted to walk out of the store, but I asked if I could apply the $11.36 towards a $25 Xbox card. The employee emphatically stated that Gamestop no longer allows trade / store credit to be used towards the purchase of 'digital products', and denied the transaction.

Since Gamestop Employees have been known to just make up policy on the spot, I was wondering if anyone here could corroborate this?
Gift cards can't be applied towards digital currency anymore, but AFAIK trade credit still can.

Did they say what the refurb fee was for? I would have absolutely left if there was nothing actually wrong with it.

Also, trade credit can be used towards Xbox credit. Gift cards and monthly certs can't.

Did they say what the refurb fee was for? I would have absolutely left if there was nothing actually wrong with it.

Also, trade credit can be used towards Xbox credit. Gift cards and monthly certs can't.

He claimed that there was 'stick drift', but that was only after I asked him why the trade was only $11.36 as opposed to $22. Given the quality issues with Series X controllers, I'd be hard pressed to dispute a claim of analog problems. However, this is a relatively new controller (November 2023) that has only been used a handful of times. It was weird that he just applied it without saying anything, then somehow sales tax was applied to the $10 fee.

Regardless, I was a little thrown that I couldn't buy an xbox card with the credit anyway.

Last edited:
Been informed countless times that trade-credit is treated like gift cards.
I just called 3 other stores in Connecticut, and they all verified that trade-in credit can no longer be used to purchase digital currency / games / items. Apparently, there was a revision to the policy at some point last December. My last store visit was 11/29, and I was able to trade in a switch and some Xbox games for digital credit.

Guess it's a legit policy change. That $10 refurb fee (and $0.61 tax) was still messed up.

bread's done
Back