The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I can confirm this 100%. trade credit has worked for psn credit for me so far this year.
This right here is why today was my last visit to a Gamestop store. There is no consistency, and the overall experience sort of sucks. It's sad to see what they've devolved into.

I get that they're a terrible company to work for (Managed one of their stores for about 4 years back in the day), but the employees I've dealt with seem completely fed up and/or abrasive as hell.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was at least a decent selection of games to choose from, but inventory is so tight at every location I've been to. Even purchasing a console is next to impossible. I was going to buy a PS5 slim from them last week, but it was easier to place the order on Amazon while the GS Associate was on the phone (arguing about payroll).

Guess he did me a favor, considering that their 'extended warranty' would allow them to just swap my console out with a "refurb" if/when something goes wrong.

Last edited:
exactly, imagine asking a gamestop employee about gamestop policies, like they have any idea what is going on.
At this point walking into a store more than once probably qualifies you to be a store lead. The only reason I still go is because the store by me has a cool staff who are familiar with me.

At this point walking into a store more than once probably qualifies you to be a store lead. The only reason I still go is because the store by me has a cool staff who are familiar with me.
Hopefully they don’t burn out, My store had a great team. Then the SL left after a disagreement with the DM. Another employee left for a better job. I thought the replacement SL sucked because he was the dude that at another store told people they could only get the free TOTK arm sleeve if they bought a warranty on the game. But I think he may have gotten moved to another store. The latest SL auto put a warranty on my new copy of Infinite Wealth (this store never pushed warranties on new stuff before). I hate having to watch the pin pad like a hawk so if this is the new norm, it will definitely be the end of shopping there.

GS just needs to hold out long enough for whatever the Switch's successor is, so I can blow my trade credit on it and be done with them.
So you can be guaranteed to have a forced bundle with a bunch of stuff you don't want, a protection plan or the monthly protection plan subscription required and a Gamestop Pro renewal on it as the cost of entry for the opportunity to purchase the new console?

So you can be guaranteed to have a forced bundle with a bunch of stuff you don't want, a protection plan or the monthly protection plan subscription required and a Gamestop Pro renewal on it as the cost of entry for the opportunity to purchase the new console?
Haha so true. Maybe good for a controller or 1st party game.

GS just needs to hold out long enough for whatever the Switch's successor is, so I can blow my trade credit on it and be done with them.
I've already burned thru about 2/3 of my TiC ever since the Redfall gold rush. I rather cash out as soon as possible before GS starts implementing restrictions on them too. A GSA got me on edge after she told me I might not be able to return pre-owned games bought from other stores in order for me to repurchase them for the B4F20 because of alleged "return policy changes." I asked her to elaborate, but she just repeated what she said. Was able to return and repurchase using my TiC in the end 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

I'm hopeful that they won't have those, since none of the OLEDs did either from what I recall. If not, I'll just blow it buying games I want.

I've already burned thru about 2/3 of my TiC ever since the Redfall gold rush. I rather cash out as soon as possible before GS starts implementing restrictions on them too. A GSA got me on edge after she told me I might not be able to return pre-owned games bought from other stores in order for me to repurchase them for the B4F20 because of alleged "return policy changes." I asked her to elaborate, but she just repeated what she said. Was able to return and repurchase using my TiC in the end 🤷‍♀️
To be honest, after seeing someone sell a 'free Pro' when the $25 off $250 was going and it being them actually selling the dude a Pro using the $25 off (total dollars he told the guy matched the amount it should've been without the $25 off) I wouldn't trust anything the GS employees actually say.

I guess we'll see. I may just go ahead and blow it on stuff, assuming literally anything is in stock anywhere.

I guess we'll see. I may just go ahead and blow it on stuff, assuming literally anything is in stock anywhere.
I don't mean to say you should cash out frivolously, but make your moves on those good deals and hidden gems, always. This week, I've found CIB:

Armored Core For Answer 360
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade PS5 (no code)
Mutant Year Zero Deluxe PS4 (no code)
Neverwinter Nights Enhanced PS4
Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Remastered PS4
The Surge 2 PS4

Here's hoping ya'll are lucky too!

I don't mean to say you should cash out frivolously, but make your moves on those good deals and hidden gems, always. This week, I've found CIB:

The Surge 2 PS4

Oh, for sure. Didn't mean to imply that. But there's some stuff I'm wanting, I'm waiting on some more decent sales on them. Thanks for the list. I'm mainly a PC and Switch gamer, which makes GS either awful or a boon depending on which way they swing Switch pricing on a given week.

The Surge 2 PS4

I just wish their store inventory system was somewhat reliable. I hate going to a store and just browsing hoping to find something. I just don't have the time anymore. Younger me would spend half hour to an hour browsing store shelves, these days, I just can't...

It's pretty reliable. It just doesn't show items that there are less than 2 of in stock. And there's a relatively new feature on the website that allows you to browse a specific store's inventory.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3---xbox-360/952895.html - Gamestop to Gamestop flip. $10 Base. $11 with Pro. $13 with Pro & Select Pre-orders.

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/blood-bowl-3-brutal-edition-2?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_elec_5_34 - Woot to Gamestop Flip. $16 Base. $17.60 with Pro. $20.80 with Pro & Select Pre-orders.
Anyone able to confirm that COD MW3 actually trades in for that value in store? Been burned by different TIV in stores before

I may be late to the party, but it looks like Gamestop increased their shipping cost again from $7.99 to $10.99. Kind of bonkers in this eCommerce era. I might understand the cost when ordering from a small business on the other side of the country, but I have no idea how Gamestop expects to compete with Target/Walmart/Amazon/etc when ordering a game. The fact you cannot order a brand new game and get media mail shipping (which costs $3) is utterly baffling.

I may be late to the party, but it looks like Gamestop increased their shipping cost again from $7.99 to $10.99. Kind of bonkers in this eCommerce era. I might understand the cost when ordering from a small business on the other side of the country, but I have no idea how Gamestop expects to compete with Target/Walmart/Amazon/etc when ordering a game. The fact you cannot order a brand new game and get media mail shipping (which costs $3) is utterly baffling.
Video games do not qualify for media mail shipping.

there’s very little profit on video games as is they have to make money some how.

I actually had no idea. Thanks for teaching me something. Regardless of that, you can ship very cheaply with USPS Ground Advantage. I sold a couple games on eBay and it typically costs around $3-4.

Not to be a contrarian but the shipping cost of a package, let's say it is $4, doesn't represent anywhere near the actual cost to ship from a business. Packaging, labor, returns(reshipments for lost or damaged)...all of that is rolled in.

There is a metric called cost per box or cost to ship in most WMS and you can calculate it a few different ways, but usually the actual shipping cost is 50-70% of the cost per shipment. 10.99 is still pretty absurd, gamestop shipping 3 item orders from 3 different stores inflates their costs like crazy, but it is probably realistically more like break even if you average it across all orders.

We know shipping has a cost but when it’s free at Best Buy and every other retailer has lower free shipping thresholds…you’re begging to lose.

Absolutely, Gamestop couldn't care less though. They just want the line item on the P&L to look better when the quarter ends so the share price goes up. It helps if you stop looking at it like an actual business and more like a street hustler playing 3 card monte.

Not to be a contrarian but the shipping cost of a package, let's say it is $4, doesn't represent anywhere near the actual cost to ship from a business. Packaging, labor, returns(reshipments for lost or damaged)...all of that is rolled in.

There is a metric called cost per box or cost to ship in most WMS and you can calculate it a few different ways, but usually the actual shipping cost is 50-70% of the cost per shipment. 10.99 is still pretty absurd, gamestop shipping 3 item orders from 3 different stores inflates their costs like crazy, but it is probably realistically more like break even if you average it across all orders.
It’s the shipping from multiple locations that kills them. They will now only have 1 warehouse since they are closing their relatively new one in PA. So stuff ships from stores. Very rarely will one store have all the items in a multi item order.

They are trying to stay afloat but charging more for shipping ain’t going to save them. Getting extras of any new release seems to be a rarity now. And more and more people are not preordering until reviews come out because you never know when a game will end up being a turd. So they are killing the people who come in on release day to pick up a game market. Yeah Walmart & BB are cutting back on video games, but when you can still walk in those places and pick up on release without a preorder but you can’t do the same at a dedicated video game store you’ve got issues.

Last edited:
Just curious, does anyone know when or how GS determines if they should show something online as being available to ship? I'm not talking about common/new releases, but like older titles or more hard to find titles.

I was trying to see if I can find a filler to meet the FS threshold and noticed they had a copy of Ryza 3 in stock and decided to add that in but it sold out before I could check out.

Just curious, does anyone know when or how GS determines if they should show something online as being available to ship? I'm not talking about common/new releases, but like older titles or more hard to find titles.

I was trying to see if I can find a filler to meet the FS threshold and noticed they had a copy of Ryza 3 in stock and decided to add that in but it sold out before I could check out.
from what i understand they have a room full of chimpanzees hitting keyboards whack a mole style, then stock appears online and you order it and if they actually have it in stock somewhere it ships, if not it is cancelled or goes into awaiting availability.

Absolutely, Gamestop couldn't care less though. They just want the line item on the P&L to look better when the quarter ends so the share price goes up. It helps if you stop looking at it like an actual business and more like a street hustler playing 3 card monte.
from what i understand they have a room full of chimpanzees hitting keyboards whack a mole style, then stock appears online and you order it and if they actually have it in stock somewhere it ships, if not it is cancelled or goes into awaiting availability.
Gamestop be like
chappelleshow-dice.gif

Gamestop better revisit its business model ASAP!
While there’s little profit on new games there is plenty of profit on used games especially when Gamestop generally gives very little in trade in.

The problem Gamestop is facing is that there are plenty of other ways for people to unload their used games now, pretty much all of which get a person more money (eBay, offer up, Mercari, Facebook marketplace, etc).
That gravy train of used games has been drying up. even more now that many have turned to digital only.

While there’s little profit on new games there is plenty of profit on used games especially when Gamestop generally gives very little in trade in.

The problem Gamestop is facing is that there are plenty of other ways for people to unload their used games now, pretty much all of which get a person more money (eBay, offer up, Mercari, Facebook marketplace, etc).
That gravy train of used games has been drying up. even more now that many have turned to digital only.
As cliche as it sounds sometimes, they did this to themselves also. When PS4/X1 gen hit, they slashed trade in values so people started looking elsewhere.

During 360 era it wasn’t unusual to get $30-36 trade values for new games and that’s when game prices were $60. Hell, during the PS2 era games were only $50 and they still had times where you could get $30-36 trade value, but then competition dried up. That’s to say, now games are $70 and $30 trade value (outside of special promotions) is pretty rare.

So people looked elsewhere and discovered Facebook marketplace, or eBay, and once they started selling there, it just became easy to make it a habit and skip GameStop.

As cliche as it sounds sometimes, they did this to themselves also. When PS4/X1 gen hit, they slashed trade in values so people started looking elsewhere.

During 360 era it wasn’t unusual to get $30-36 trade values for new games and that’s when game prices were $60. Hell, during the PS2 era games were only $50 and they still had times where you could get $30-36 trade value, but then competition dried up. That’s to say, now games are $70 and $30 trade value (outside of special promotions) is pretty rare.

So people looked elsewhere and discovered Facebook marketplace, or eBay, and once they started selling there, it just became easy to make it a habit and skip GameStop.
I miss Game Crazy an EB Games :'(

there is rumors based off a leak recently from a microsoft employee that the xbox brand could be turning into a third party publisher. if legit this will have a big domino effect on the gaming world. the press conference they will have next week regarding the future of xbox will be interesting

Always remember that Shipping in store with Web Orders is free for any orders $35 or more. I recently had my local store order Oni: Road to be the Mightest Oni for PS4 (new for $19.99) & Gloomhaven for PS5 (used for $18.99)

there is rumors based off a leak recently from a microsoft employee that the xbox brand could be turning into a third party publisher. if legit this will have a big domino effect on the gaming world. the press conference they will have next week regarding the future of xbox will be interesting
Feels like this is the most that people have been talking ar all about Xbox since they took over Bethesda...I feel like the press conference next week is going to be a big old "Psych just kidding we aren't going to release on Sony" & here is a new handheld that you can take anywhere to play Game Pass...come sign up lol

Feels like this is the most that people have been talking ar all about Xbox since they took over Bethesda...I feel like the press conference next week is going to be a big old "Psych just kidding we aren't going to release on Sony" & here is a new handheld that you can take anywhere to play Game Pass...come sign up lol
i would hope so but their recent decisions and horrid console sales since the end of the 360 era really have me wondering that this is legit. phill Spencer didnt even deny any of the rumors. ive never been as much of a xbox guy but seeing the HD console wars end would actually make me really sad as a gamer 😞

So I've been playing my switch lite a lot lately and think it might be tike to graduate to full size switch. Is the OLED a yuge jump up? Yes, I know the switch 2 is coming out this fall but I'm sitting on trade credit/gift cards right now and thinking maybe I should be done with GS.

Also..maybe it's because I'm old but the switch lite (and/or Hades) seems to be hurting my left thumb. Anyone else have that problem?

So I've been playing my switch lite a lot lately and think it might be tike to graduate to full size switch. Is the OLED a yuge jump up? Yes, I know the switch 2 is coming out this fall but I'm sitting on trade credit/gift cards right now and thinking maybe I should be done with GS.

Also..maybe it's because I'm old but the switch lite (and/or Hades) seems to be hurting my left thumb. Anyone else have that problem?
I love my new OLED. I don't notice it being that much heavier, but it definitely feels great in my hands.

The OLED is great. But it really isn't the best time to be paying for a Switch at full price....At all. It's 7 years old dude. We should be getting them on clearance for ~$200ish late this summer, is the thing to look for.

Do what you want. But you're asking a financial question. No, don't blow all your trade credit on a full-priced system that's about to become previous gen. The answer is clear: wait and buy an OLED on clearance or else wait and buy the Switch 2. Now really is not the time. If you've waited this long then you can wait 6 more months. There's going to be some closeout deals, as well as a new $400 system.

Always remember that Shipping in store with Web Orders is free for any orders $35 or more. I recently had my local store order Oni: Road to be the Mightest Oni for PS4 (new for $19.99) & Gloomhaven for PS5 (used for $18.99)
And if your order gets cancelled, you'll never get a refund. Use web-in-store at your own risk.

bread's done
Back