The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
A couple other good ones I noticed, too. AI Somnium and Soul Hackers 2 on Xbox for RIDICULOUSLY cheap. Kamiwaze also a phenomenal price and Arkanoid. A few others if I can remember.

Bought a bunch more online, and paired it with a used console to save even more!

This is a throwback to the days of $1 Wii and DS games that I did really well on.

Even though the website showed that some of the titles were at my store, none of the ones that I wanted were.

Ended up picking up Forspoken (PS5) "used" for $14.99 but got a brand new copy, so I'm all good with that.

i tried to pick up 10-15 games. Can't get my order go thru. Great sale but no luck for me. I may stop by local GS and see whatever is left.

I checked 2 stores and grabbed Soul Hackers 2 and Scarlet Nexus, not bad for $3.59 with original cases. They had Watchdogs Legion for $3, but no steel book edition so I passed.

A couple other good ones I noticed, too. AI Somnium and Soul Hackers 2 on Xbox for RIDICULOUSLY cheap. Kamiwaze also a phenomenal price and Arkanoid. A few others if I can remember.

Bought a bunch more online, and paired it with a used console to save even more!

This is a throwback to the days of $1 Wii and DS games that I did really well on.
How did you notice these games? Did you just browse the website or is there a way to see what games were recently reduced? Or did you just look in your store?

PS4 is getting btfo like crazy right now. I thought it wouldn't ever be like ps2 and ps3 because of backwards compatibility. But you know times are crazy and physical is dying when NIS games are getting converted and sold for 4.99, 6.99, etc.

Tempted to get some vouchers in lieu of missing out on deals this week. For losers like me, here are some consolation PSN sales:

5.99 A Way Out
3.99 Castlevania Requiem
3.99 Doom
4.99 Fist of the North Star
8.99 Ghostrunner
9.99 Gravity Rush 2
8.99 Metro Saga Bundle
2.99 Never Alone
8.74 Nexomon Complete
7.49 New Super Lucky's Tale
2.49 Psychonauts
5.99 Shadow of War Expansion
5.99 Shining Resonance Refrain
9.99 Skyrim Anniversary Upgrade
6.24 Spirit of the North Enhanced
5.99 Ys Origin

Ordered:

Celeste - Nintendo Switch

QTY: 1 $17.99
20003607-6c0948f1
We Love Katamari REROLL and Royal Reverie - Nintendo Switch

QTY: 1 $14.99
20001493-670822cd
Tunic - PlayStation 4

QTY: 1 $22.99
20001408-3f0862c8
Return to Monkey Island - Xbox Series X

QTY: 1 $13.99
20006770-670822cd
Star Ocean: The Second Story R - PlayStation 4

QTY: 1 $24.99

placing an order on gamestop.com and the mobile app on mobile errors out and doesn’t go through. Is this happening to anyone else

I got an order in earlier this morning for:

- Star Ocean the Second Story R (PS4)
- Theaterhythm Final Bar Line (Switch)
- Return to Monkey Island (XBX)
- Fight N Rage (Switch)
- The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails (Switch)

Fingers crossed on completeness. Lots of good games on sale.

I got an order in earlier this morning for:

- Star Ocean the Second Story R (PS4)
- Theaterhythm Final Bar Line (Switch)
- Return to Monkey Island (XBX)
- Fight N Rage (Switch)
- The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails (Switch)

Fingers crossed on completeness. Lots of good games on sale.
How early in the morning because i was awake until i fell asleep at 5 am est and had problems since like 2 am

Great deals. Nothing available to be added to cart so far (even things that have an add to cart button say can't be added to cart when you click it). Guess I'll make a list on paper and check out physical GS after work tomorrow. Is there a way to exclude out of stock/not available items for shipping?

Last edited:
I placed an order, as well:

- Star Ocean Second Story R (PS4)
- Rhapsody: Marl Kingdom Chronicles (Switch)
- LoH: Trails into Reverie (PS4)
- LoN: Boundless Trailers (PS4)
- Tunic (PS4)
- Gal Guardians (PS4)

Great prices, under the pricecharting market on all of them. Star Ocean is the only one I'd expect to get below $20 at some point, but figured I'd just get it now.

I placed an order, as well:

- Star Ocean Second Story R (PS4)
- Rhapsody: Marl Kingdom Chronicles (Switch)
- LoH: Trails into Reverie (PS4)
- LoN: Boundless Trailers (PS4)
- Tunic (PS4)
- Gal Guardians (PS4)

Great prices, under the pricecharting market on all of them. Star Ocean is the only one I'd expect to get below $20 at some point, but figured I'd just get it now.
Squeenix must not have printed many copies of Second Story R because all versions appear to be OOP on Amazon. I'd say $25 is well worth the price.

How early in the morning because i was awake until i fell asleep at 5 am est and had problems since like 2 am
It was about 7:15am EST, and I used the mobile website.

I'm annoyed with myself, because I just bought Trails into Reverie PS4 last month from Gamestop, but Gamestop was the only place with it in stock for some time, and I didn't want to risk it becoming unavailable. Figures.

Some great deals, lots of stuff that is probably low as it’s going to get before going out of stock. In the good old days, this would have stacked with a buy 2 get 1 free and spend $100 get $20 off, but I’ll take it. I wouldn’t bet on it, but Star Ocean 2 R is going to be gold if it was actually limited print.

Grabbed some good stuff, but missed out on monkey island.

Edit: found monkey island at a nearby store

Last edited:
Ordered:

Celeste - Nintendo Switch​
QTY: 1$17.99
20003607-6c0948f1
We Love Katamari REROLL and Royal Reverie - Nintendo Switch​
QTY: 1$14.99
20001493-670822cd
Tunic - PlayStation 4​
QTY: 1$22.99
20001408-3f0862c8
Return to Monkey Island - Xbox Series X​
QTY: 1$13.99
20006770-670822cd
Star Ocean: The Second Story R - PlayStation 4​
QTY: 1$24.99

Got an email that all are shipping now except for tunic.

Anyone know if GameStop is doing 9pm release for FF7 rebirth? From what I’m seeing it’s not looking likely and when I pre ordered the game yesterday in store the associate had no idea

A friend told me this is hard to find. How...? It's a common basic game. No limited run, no special edition, no steelbook for PS5. Just a plain basic copy.
The PS5 version wasn't printed a lot and it included a code for the DLC that got taken off the market up until recently.

A few tempting things, but not in the mood to get guts.
Wild that they are discounting so much…it’s not like they fucking have much in stores anyways.
Of course this could also be clearing out inventory before a wave of store closures.

People are simple. They want things they can't have. They want things simply bc they are expensive.
Like I remember two weeks ago getting linked to some rare Switch games subreddit when searching for something, and I see there's several users going around to all the Gamestops and Walmarts buying up the 1 New copy of Dragon Quest Monsters just because they heard that "it's rare / hard to find". That's the nature of people. "Oh someone wants this? I want it now."
You can buy an FF7R EU copy for like 40 bucks New. But people neeeeeed the NA version with the piece of paper which has the Intergrade DLC code that works on American PSN.

Once the code is used once then it's useless. It's just like any other copy of the game. You can just buy that separate DLC digitally for $19.99. But people need that piece of paper. No, they need this version "because it's valuable".

It becomes $20 worthless as soon as they publish any other complete disc version.

All shipping for me except Monkey Island (PS5). Fully expect Gamestop to screw me on this one and cancel even though I put my order in at 9am est long before it went OOS.

Would've traded in that PS5 yesterday if I was prepared for these price drops, probably going to take $357.50 now, seems like they only go for about $350 used anyway. Picked it up at a pawn shop for $100 yesterday labeled "asis coolant". Not sure what type of coolant is used in a PS5 but it works just fine lol.

People are simple. They want things they can't have. They want things simply bc they are expensive.
Like I remember two weeks ago getting linked to some rare Switch games subreddit when searching for something, and I see there's several users going around to all the Gamestops and Walmarts buying up the 1 New copy of Dragon Quest Monsters just because they heard that "it's rare / hard to find". That's the nature of people. "Oh someone wants this? I want it now."
You can buy an FF7R EU copy for like 40 bucks New. But people neeeeeed the NA version with the piece of paper which has the Intergrade DLC code that works on American PSN.

Once the code is used once then it's useless. It's just like any other copy of the game. You can just buy that separate DLC digitally for $19.99. But people need that piece of paper. No, they need this version "because it's valuable".

It becomes $20 worthless as soon as they publish any other complete disc version.
Humans are inherently and instinctively selfish. CAG is testament, so there's no changing in that.

I "need" the ESRB/NA version because I dislike seeing PEGI yellow/USK rainbow on my PS5 white/PS4 blue/PS3 black labels. Not to mention...Euro games have more than one ratings label covering, borderline censoring, disc art which are jarring to look at.

Yes, DLC is $19.99, $14.99 on certain months, but the print runs remain the same - limited. Who in their right mind would ever unseal their PS5 copy(ies) after looking at price charting/sold listings especially after being graded...? FF7R standard version is about $10, ~$30 after DLC. An opened PS5 copy, even missing said piece of paper, is going for around $100. Should we really blame collectors for wanting their video games CIB moreso to sell for more later? Also, PS5 white label looks light years better with the FF7 white cover art.

The complete disc version isn't until a year or two later after disc 3 remake circa 2028. $20 worthless by then but projected market value might still hold.

Last edited:
I guarantee you there is a garage industry somewhere where guys go to FedEX Kinkos to print glossy cover art for the FF7R PS5 NA version and sell $100-$200 copies to idiots.

Crisis core isn’t out of print. Ff7 remake was a small print game and I feel like resellers are going to regret holding onto this game.

Once they complete the game I bet square releases a complete edition. The only reason the game was expensive previously was because intergrade was locked on the PlayStation store. They’ve reopened everything from what it looks like. I guess if you collect small printed games it might be worth something but, with sites like vgp now a days everything gets reprinted.

Where is Crisis Core on PS5 readily available?

Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Walmart, are out of stock. Even the new copies at Gamestop are out of stock.

Don't really put much stock in what Square might do in the future, especially when they've proven unreliable in the past when it comes to porting games.

A friend told me this is hard to find. How...? It's a common basic game. No limited run, no special edition, no steelbook for PS5. Just a plain basic copy.

It was pretty easy to find for a while, especially after the PS Plus free copies of 7 Remake got the PS4 to PS5 upgrade, but then it became crazy expensive for some reason or another, even before all the Rebirth hype. (EDIT* Actually I lied, it looks like the price started going up just as the first Rebirth trailer came out.)

I found a $40 copy at a retro store while visiting my brother when it was cheap-ish and bought it then because I wanted to play the game again and also wanted to play InterMISSION, but I never did either. Worse yet, I didn't realize InterMISSION was DLC and not on disc... LOL

Square dropped the ball but nothing is new with them over the years. The best thing would be if they released Intergrade/Rebirth as a combo package at somepoint or as another said here,a complete collection though right now it's best to offload any extra spares have while value is hot

Was in store today and saw a Trade 2 games for $50 towards FF Rebirth. Didn’t see a list of eligible games and don’t see anything about it on the website.

I picked up intermission new from target when it was on clearance for around $30, redeemed the DLC code, then traded it into GameStop for around $30. Same price or more. Guess that is one that woulda been better to hold onto, but still a good move. I kept my now worthless piece of paper, which is like others have said, ironically the only difference other than cover art, so that’s fine with me.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie - PlayStation 5
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails - PlayStation 4
The DioField Chronicle - PlayStation 4
Star Ocean: The Second Story R - PlayStation 4

All have shipped today.

And now the waiting game....

homer simpson GIF

I picked up intermission new from target when it was on clearance for around $30, redeemed the DLC code, then traded it into GameStop for around $30. Same price or more. Guess that is one that woulda been better to hold onto, but still a good move. I kept my now worthless piece of paper, which is like others have said, ironically the only difference other than cover art, so that’s fine with me.
Can sell that piece of paper on eBay for a good amount. There are weirdo collectors out there~

It was pretty easy to find for a while, especially after the PS Plus free copies of 7 Remake got the PS4 to PS5 upgrade, but then it became crazy expensive for some reason or another, even before all the Rebirth hype. (EDIT* Actually I lied, it looks like the price started going up just as the first Rebirth trailer came out.)

I found a $40 copy at a retro store while visiting my brother when it was cheap-ish and bought it then because I wanted to play the game again and also wanted to play InterMISSION, but I never did either. Worse yet, I didn't realize InterMISSION was DLC and not on disc... LOL
Yep. I can explain exactly how much people cared about this release when it was new.

Storytime!
MORE LIKE BORINGTIME. FF7R Intergrade came out on PS5. No one cared bc people owned PS4 copies, they got free digital upgrades to the PS5 version, and the game was already cheap. So no one bought the new PS5 version. no one was spending money on a redundant $70 disc right smack in the middle of Q1 2021 when everyone and their cats wanted a brand new PS5 or other expensive, actually new, games. SquareEnix canned the release, and halted any further printing or distribution of additional copies. After several months of the game not selling Walmart clearanced their stock multiple times online. This is only possible with publisher kickbacks i.e. SE compensates them for moving or getting rid of all retail copies. I even had a $19.99 order for ISPU for an entire week which I forgot about and then it got cancelled; that's how little people cared about this release. (I wanted one just for the cover art too). Then it immediately went 'OOP unavailable' by Square. just like they intended. So they can capitalize on this IP again in the future.

Resellers took notice and found a very easy title to manipulate.

Just like how Super Mario 3D All-Stars commands a premium for no reason. after not selling out for 2yrs. all because corporate made a press release statement once.

Very shrewd business move. no one sleeps on Final Fantasy special editions any longer.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back