The $499 PS3 a "Grave Error?"

i read the article, and quite frankly, i don't see an issue. by the time 1080p televisions are the standard, playstation 4 or 5 will be out on the market. i own a 1080i tv with no plans to upgrade in the near future. the down conversion to 540p is the equivalent of 1080i. nonetheless, i'll be buying the $599 version because i like my equipment to be current and feature full. the whole 2 system tier is bull caca.

This isn't supposed to be used for what, 3-5 years anyway to ensure the HDTV user base is big enough right? I'm sure Sony will think of something by then...

...or not. Who knows.

[quote name='thagoat']i read the article, and quite frankly, i don't see an issue. by the time 1080p televisions are the standard, playstation 4 or 5 will be out on the market. i own a 1080i tv with no plans to upgrade in the near future. the down conversion to 540p is the equivalent of 1080i. nonetheless, i'll be buying the $599 version because i like my equipment to be current and feature full. the whole 2 system tier is bull caca.[/quote]
How is 540p the equivalent of 1080i? It's still half the amount of pixels on screen, even if they are displayed in progressive scan. The point a lot of people are missing is that, all things considered, the PS3 is a 360 with a Blu Ray drive for an extra $100. So whats the point of paying that extra $100 for Blu-Ray if it's gimped from the start and in a couple of years it will be worthless? Doesn't matter who you are, the $500 bundle is shit. If you've already got an HDTV, it's shit because in 2-3 years when ICT is implemented you'll have to buy a real Blu-Ray player to watch your movies in full res, and it's shit for people without an HDTV because by the time they finally do get an HDTV, the ICT may have made the Blu-Ray functionality moot. To put it bluntly, Sony has given people a choice of getting fucked in the ass for $500, or getting fucked in the ass with lube for $600.

im Tired of people crying about how sony priced this out of the range. if you dont like it DONT BUY IT. No one is forcing you to go out and buy a ps 3.

[quote name='Stuka']How is 540p the equivalent of 1080i? It's still half the amount of pixels on screen, even if they are displayed in progressive scan. The point a lot of people are missing is that, all things considered, the PS3 is a 360 with a Blu Ray drive for an extra $100. So whats the point of paying that extra $100 for Blu-Ray if it's gimped from the start and in a couple of years it will be worthless? Doesn't matter who you are, the $500 bundle is shit. If you've already got an HDTV, it's shit because in 2-3 years when ICT is implemented you'll have to buy a real Blu-Ray player to watch your movies in full res, and it's shit for people without an HDTV because by the time they finally do get an HDTV, the ICT may have made the Blu-Ray functionality moot. To put it bluntly, Sony has given people a choice of getting fucked in the ass for $500, or getting fucked in the ass with lube for $600.[/quote]

That's why I'm choosing to wait on buying an HDTV and a PS3 until everything gets sorted out and prices are dropped.

Sometimes I really wonder he you even bother posting... no actually I always wonder that.

[quote name='slidecage']im Tired of people crying about how sony priced this out of the range. if you dont like it DONT BUY IT. No one is forcing you to go out and buy a ps 3.[/quote]

[quote name='thagoat']i read the article, and quite frankly, i don't see an issue. by the time 1080p televisions are the standard, playstation 4 or 5 will be out on the market. i own a 1080i tv with no plans to upgrade in the near future. the down conversion to 540p is the equivalent of 1080i. nonetheless, i'll be buying the $599 version because i like my equipment to be current and feature full. the whole 2 system tier is bull caca.[/QUOTE]
Its an issue because the output of the blu-ray movies on the crippled PS3 will only be slightly higher resolution than standard DVD's. Theres no point in even using that feature.

540p != 1080i.

[quote name='slidecage']im Tired of people crying about how sony priced this out of the range. if you dont like it DONT BUY IT. No one is forcing you to go out and buy a ps 3.[/QUOTE]

Did you even read the article? In no way does it bash the price. In fact it says it should be considered a value and would be were it not for the crippling design flaws present. We get it that you are a Sony fanboy, but that doesn't excuse you from logic and reason.

[quote name='Tromack']Did you even read the article? In no way does it bash the price. In fact it says it should be considered a value and would be were it not for the crippling design flaws present. We get it that you are a Sony fanboy, but that doesn't excuse you from logic and reason.[/QUOTE]

im saying im sick of people crying over the price. Noone is forcing these people to buy a system. Hell i was in eb the other day at these teenagers were pissed off and say SONY should sell the system for 199 cause they couldnt afford it. I though

get a freaking job and stop hanging at the mall all freaking day

[quote name='slidecage']im Tired of people crying about how sony priced this out of the range. if you dont like it DONT BUY IT. No one is forcing you to go out and buy a ps 3.[/quote]

You're in a fucking PS3 forum, and Sony just recently announced their higher-than-hoped-for price range for the system. What the hell did you think would be talked about here? If you don't like the topics and comments, then move to another forum. Geez.

[quote name='slidecage']im saying im sick of people crying over the price. Noone is forcing these people to buy a system. Hell i was in eb the other day at these teenagers were pissed off and say SONY should sell the system for 199 cause they couldnt afford it. I though

get a freaking job and stop hanging at the mall all freaking day[/quote]

And while I'm at it......

I wonder if these "teenagers" you mentioned are proficient in the use of proper grammar and punctuation. You certainly aren't. How long does it take to add commas and periods to your sentences? Or is the problem that you don't know how and where to place them? Either way, don't bash anyone for anything when you are seemingly unable to speak properly in your own native language.

Additionally, maybe it is a good thing that the afore-mentioned teenagers don't get a job like you suggested. Maybe they are focusing on their studies, so that one day, when they grow up to be a big boy like you, they will know how to use English better than you currently do. Bless the children for learning from their forefather's mistakes.

[quote name='slidecage']im Tired of people crying about how sony priced this out of the range. if you dont like it DONT BUY IT. No one is forcing you to go out and buy a ps 3.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh... maybe they're complaining because they want to buy it but won't be able to afford it?

No.. no, nevermind. They must just like to whine. I'm surprised you don't get along with them better than you do.

[quote name='karmapolice']Sometimes I really wonder he you even bother posting... no actually I always wonder that.[/QUOTE]

I think CheapyD gets a tax incentive to let slidecage continue to post here, some sort of "leg-up" program or something.

[quote name='dratsacras']I think CheapyD gets a tax incentive to let slidecage continue to post here, some sort of "leg-up" program or something.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='the ender']You're in a fucking PS3 forum, and Sony just recently announced their higher-than-hoped-for price range for the system. What the hell did you think would be talked about here? If you don't like the topics and comments, then move to another forum. Geez.[/QUOTE]

who said it was higher then expected. i was hearing up to 800 bucks cause of the Dvd player in the system. 600 is a great price for the system at how the tech stands now.

will i buy the system- probally not. yes i can afford it but Im mostly looking at getting the new nintendo system since it will have a RPG release day. Now if ps3 had a good RPG coming out the same day it hit, then i would buy a ps3.

people act if they complain the price is too high sony will magically drop the price. Get used to it THE PRICE IS 599

[quote name='slidecage']

people act if they complain the price is too high sony will magically drop the price. Get used to it THE PRICE IS 599[/QUOTE]

A lack of demand due to a high price could "magically drop the price". Look at the 360 in Japan. I could afford the PS3 but thats too fucking high a price.

[quote name='thagoat']i own a 1080i tv with no plans to upgrade in the near future. the down conversion to 540p is the equivalent of 1080i. [/QUOTE]

No it's not... 540p isn't even an HD standard like 720p and 1080i are.:rofl:

Good article, definitely picks out the reaons why I said the $500 model is a mistake if you plan to buy the PS3.

Im buying the 499 version.

why?

because i wont have a hdmi tv until the ps4 is released and i will eventually buy a 300-400gig HDD for my new 499 ps3 a year down the road for 50 bucks.

I honestly dont care about HDDVDs or BLUE RAY DVD movies its not like im going to be going out and buying the movies. (all 10 of them)

But i will most certainly enjoy the advantage of having a huge amount of storage space on blueray compared to 360 and regualr dvd roms.

That is why i dont mind paying an extra 100 bucks ovs the 360.

I mentioned this in another topic, so here it is again. The $499.99 model is gimped even more when you factor in how many HDTVs accept an analog signal for 1080p. That right there gimps the supposed HD era gameplay of 1080p viewing that Sony touts as a selling point of the PS3. Its not just movies that are affected, but games as well.

Yeah, I never thought of that. Every HDTV that does 1080p native that I've heard of only does it over HDMI and same for most of the ones that upscan 1080i to 1080p.

the issue is not the price alone, it's what you could be doing with that $600. I had a hard time justifying a $400 360, but with a half year of saving and selling my PSP, it became more reasonable. (and even got several launch games)

$600 is absurd for anything videogame related.

You buying the PS3 for $600 + (1) $60 Games + $40 (for 1 extra control) = Around $750. That's too expensive !

You can get WII + 3 or 4 games + extra control = less than $500 after taxes (MUST HAVE).

Or

XBOX 360 $400 + 1 games ($60) + extra control ($40) = Around $550.00 after taxes.

[quote name='slidecage']who said it was higher then expected. i was hearing up to 800 bucks cause of the Dvd player in the system. 600 is a great price for the system at how the tech stands now.

will i buy the system- probally not. yes i can afford it but Im mostly looking at getting the new nintendo system since it will have a RPG release day. Now if ps3 had a good RPG coming out the same day it hit, then i would buy a ps3.

people act if they complain the price is too high sony will magically drop the price. Get used to it THE PRICE IS 599[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^Reading this paragraph will lower your I.Q ^^^^^^^^^^^^

[quote name='Stuka'] To put it bluntly, Sony has given people a choice of getting fucked in the ass for $500, or getting fucked in the ass with lube for $600.[/QUOTE]

Or simply not buy their POS product, which is the option I will be taking.

[quote name='trq']This topic has been somewhat touched on in other threads, but I found this interesting, since the issue discussed here isn't the price, it's the crippled Blu-Ray functionality of the cheaper SKU.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/709/709495p1.html

Thoughts?[/quote]
I was just reading the article and it proof's my concerns.
Even if you have HDTV you are not on the save side. Example.
My HDTV, which is made 2004, is a HDTV but does lag the HDMI connection.
So basically i will not see any HTDV content in the years to come. Sure there is a graceperiod but the industrie as a whole fooled the consumer in believing that you got a new technologie which will last for years to come.
Its just BS.
Well, i am hoping that Sony will still include HDMI in the basic version of the PS3, what happend if they don't.
Then you have Blueray whith stripped benefits. wow...
Makes me somewhat angry. I mean, come on. Why would you claim that the product is HDTV compatible and in fact it just will downgrade your experience.

(that was aimed at the whole industrie)

[quote name='yester']
I was just reading the article, and it proves my concerns.
Even if you have an HDTV, you are not safe. Here is an example:

My HDTV, which was made in 2004, lacks the HDMI connection.
So basically, I will not see any HTDV content for years to come. Granted, there is a grace period, but the industry as a whole fooled the consumer into believing that you bought a new technology which will be relevant for years to come.

It's just BS.

While I am hoping that Sony will still include HDMI in the basic version of the PS3, what happens if they don't?
You then have a Blu-Ray player with stripped benefits.

Wow...

That makes me somewhat angry. I mean, come on. Why would you claim that the product is HDTV compatible, when in fact it will just downgrade your experience?

(that was aimed at the whole industry)[/quote]

I fixed your retarded-ass post for you, you illiterate sucka. I had to alter every single sentence just to make it understandable. Jesus, I hope you are still in grade school.....

[quote name='the ender']I fixed your retarded-ass post for you, you illiterate sucka. I had to alter every single sentence just to make it understandable. Jesus, I hope you are still in grade school.....[/quote]

Fist of all, you should not insult me in public.
Maybe you follow a noble cause, if you spare your free time to fix my post for everyone (who is not capable) and/or to save the english language. But you should realize that,
a) you are on the internet
b) a lot of people don't write grammar conform (not even in my native language)

I did not ask you to correct my post. I just simply wanted to share my opinion on the topic.
Certainly, some people have nothing better to do than to make trouble.

Do not insult me anymore. We should respect each other, not make our online life miserable.

P.s. Do not hope. You do not know me.

[quote name='yester']Fist of all, you should not insult me in public.
Maybe you follow a noble cause, if you spare your free time to fix my post for everyone (who is not capable) and/or to save the english language. But you should realize that,

I did not ask you to correct my post. I just simply wanted to share my opinion on the topic.

Do not insult me anymore. We should respect each other, not make our online life miserable.

P.s. Do not hope. You do not know me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah no kidding.
I read your post just fine as im sure 99.9% of everyone else did.
Why some people feel the need to post stupid ass comments like the above is beyond me. But is to be expected online.

[quote name='yester']Fist of all, you should not insult me in public.

P.s. Do not hope. You do not know me.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You sound so tough.

[quote name='the ender']I fixed your retarded-ass post for you, you illiterate sucka. I had to alter every single sentence just to make it understandable. Jesus, I hope you are still in grade school.....[/QUOTE]

You missed a bit. His fourth HDTV was written HTDV.

[quote name='the ender']And while I'm at it......

I wonder if these "teenagers" you mentioned are proficient in the use of proper grammar and punctuation. You certainly aren't. How long does it take to add commas and periods to your sentences? Or is the problem that you don't know how and where to place them? Either way, don't bash anyone for anything when you are seemingly unable to speak properly in your own native language.

Additionally, maybe it is a good thing that the afore-mentioned teenagers don't get a job like you suggested. Maybe they are focusing on their studies, so that one day, when they grow up to be a big boy like you, they will know how to use English better than you currently do. Bless the children for learning from their forefather's mistakes.[/QUOTE]

What are you, a fucking english teacher? I didn't realize that people were being graded when they post on an internet message board.

I didn't realize non-native English speakers were also being graded, as is the case with yester. I'm not sure of his original language, but I'll be darned if I can speak any other language as good well as he writes English.

EDIT: Saved you the trouble noobs.

Calm down assholes. I made some grammar jokes, not directed at you, so simmer down a bit.

And I can't believe that anyone has a problem with me mocking slidecage. I mean, c'mon, it's fucking slidecage.

My point is that I am tired of Americans being so awful at our own language. I work at an airport, and I meet many foreigners every day who are more proficient at English than the majority of Americans. They know more about our history than we do, work harder than we do, and are more respectful than we are. No wonder the rest of the world hates us. We are uneducated, half-illiterate, arrogant, and totally unaware that we are any of these things. Just annoys me, I guess.

I know this is an internet forum, and people type quickly and without regard for correct grammar or punctuation. But it just seems indicative of the way most of us tend to talk and write in our everyday life. I live in goddamn Alabama, so the rate of illiteracy here is ridiculous, and I guess I've become a bit aggravated about the whole thing.

Anyshit, I'll stop. Proceed with your normal internet ramblings.

dumb0rq.png

Grave, indeed.

[quote name='the ender']And I can't believe that anyone has a problem with me mocking slidecage. I mean, c'mon, it's fucking slidecage.[/quote]:rofl:

I like how IGN failed to mention that the Image Constraint Token won't even be put to use til 2010.

Can't spell Ignorance without IGN I guess.

[quote name='sying']I think there is going to be massive damage once thier balance sheet comes up[/quote]

The great thing about a balance sheet is that if it's trending negative you can flip it for massiv damage!

[quote name='camoor']The great thing about a balance sheet is that if it's trending negative you can flip it for massiv damage![/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the real time switching?

bread's done
Back