The 8th Annual Cheapy Awards - Awards Ceremony

[quote name='slowdive21']Is there a discussion thread? Feel free to move it if this isn't the right place.

Speedy1961 Deal Buster Award: SHC-Gamer

That really isn't fair to the other people in this category. SHC-gamer is paid to build a brand. The other people are volunteers. I want all of you who voluntarily post deals that all of you deserve this award. I think it is a slap in the face of speedy as well, since he put so much work into posting deals, not to line his own pockets, but to help others.

It would be like having a best athlete award and putting up Derek Jeter against a high school baseball player.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly

[quote name='slowdive21']Is there a discussion thread? Feel free to move it if this isn't the right place.

That really isn't fair to the other people in this category. SHC-gamer is paid to build a brand. The other people are volunteers. I want all of you who voluntarily post deals that all of you deserve this award. I think it is a slap in the face of speedy as well, since he put so much work into posting deals, not to line his own pockets, but to help others.

It would be like having a best athlete award and putting up Derek Jeter against a high school baseball player.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree....Sure it's nice having a rep from the company interacting with the community......but some people here seem to have drank too much of the k-mart kool aid and now worship SHC-Gamer and get all emotional anytime someone says anything bad about their precious kmart deals. The Deal buster award and especially community award should have defintely went to someone who's motivation to participate on this forum is not for self interest and the benefit of their employer. I also think its a shame redjoey wasn't even in the poll, as he definitely deserved to at least be recognized for the all work he does keeping the XBLA sales thread organized and up to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jer7583']Congrats to kmart/amazon! Hope this pulls even more people away from gamestop and drives more competition over prices at retail. Always good for buyers.

Also glad to see gamestop continuing to recieve their well deserved title of "the worst".[/QUOTE]

Everybody is such a pessimist.

As an optimist myself, Gamestop happens to have the 2nd best trade in program.

And it's 5 years in a row. What you're hoping for isn't going to happen.

I think SHC-Gamer deserves every award he or Kmart won. Yes, he is a corporate rep but he not only initiated the wave of deals a lot of us enjoyed, he went above and beyond with his customer service. How many other reps would personally send out gift cards as compensation because a particular store was out of a promotional item?

Cheapy,

I still think CAG should have a separate award for best game value and community goty because I really think some votes are for that and not content value. But I fear the idea will always go on deafs' ear.

I also agree. This is not the intention of the Speedy1961 award and SHC-Gamer winning does not foster real CAG members to post deals. Great guy, I'm sure.... but at what point does this site change from a community to an advertising firm?

congratz!

Have you ever thought of flying a plane at the comfort of your own home?
Do you want to experience flying a plane but too afraid to fly a real one?
To find out how, test your flying skill at Dare To FLY

I think we should all take up a collection, chip in a buck or two a piece and then send a nice bouquet of flowers to gamestops corporate headquarters. We can have a card attached that reads "congratulations on winning worst" and then lists all the horrible awards the CAG community has given them for the umpteenth time in a row.

I love GameStop. I know how to take advantage of their deals and programs and really use it to my advantage, and do stuff through them I couldn't do with amazon, so for me, they are the best trade in program..and the best B&M, but hat's not really fair because I never use any other store because I buy using GS credit. But they are definitely not the worst B&M store.

In the Best B&M category they came in third out of fifth, so how are they the worst when Toy R Us and Target are under them in the best b&m category.

[quote name='Obiwan456']I love GameStop. I know how to take advantage of their deals and programs and really use it to my advantage, and do stuff through them I couldn't do with amazon, so for me, they are the best trade in program..and the best B&M, but hat's not really fair because I never use any other store because I buy using GS credit. But they are definitely not the worst B&M store.

In the Best B&M category they came in third out of fifth, so how are they the worst when Toy R Us and Target are under them in the best b&m category.[/QUOTE]

Because different people vote different and we do not rank each and every single store. So while most of us feel they are the worst, there are a few people like yourself that are lucky enough to have a decent gamestop and have enough time to figure out how to work their horrible system to make them decent. If a few people like yourself exist then naturally they are not going to be dead last in the best section.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Because different people vote different and we do not rank each and every single store. So while most of us feel they are the worst, there are a few people like yourself that are lucky enough to have a decent gamestop and have enough time to figure out how to work their horrible system to make them decent. If a few people like yourself exist then naturally they are not going to be dead last in the best section.[/QUOTE]

Well, that makes sense then. I do understand that there are some stores that re horrible, so I'm lucky that every store in my area is pretty good.

[quote name='WormFOODx']I also agree. This is not the intention of the Speedy1961 award and SHC-Gamer winning does not foster real CAG members to post deals. Great guy, I'm sure.... but at what point does this site change from a community to an advertising firm?[/QUOTE]

What does it matter where he works or if how he gets paid? Someone offered to share deals on a regular basis by the same retailer and somehow that is a bad thing because he works there?

As I understand it Speedy1961 was an employee for the retailer he would break deals on as well, so what SHC-Gamer is doing not that much of a stretch, if anything it's a blessing that he's endorsed by his employer.

If the award encourages other retailers to join then all the better. If we reach a point where we have so many retailers sharing deals on CAG that Cheapy has make another category for them then that's what I call a good problem to have.

[quote name='sinewav']What does it matter where he works or if how he gets paid? Someone offered to share deals on a regular basis by the same retailer and somehow that is a bad thing because he works there?

As I understand it Speedy1961 was an employee for the retailer he would break deals on as well, so what SHC-Gamer is doing not that much of a stretch, if anything it's a blessing that he's endorsed by his employer.

If the award encourages other retailers to join then all the better. If we reach a point where we have so many retailers sharing deals on CAG that Cheapy has make another category for them then that's what I call a good problem to have.[/QUOTE]

First off this is all my opinion based on my background.

SHC isn't "sharing a deal". He is marketing a product to you. The CAG community is giving him free market research through direct feedback from consumers. If he is a buyer he should be able to adjust the quantity of product Kmart orders as well as pricing. The "deals" you guys are getting are just good enough to keep you coming back to Kmart and to gain market share from their competitors.

I don't see a problem with what he is doing as long as CAGs understand what is going on.

But that isn't the issue with the award. The award should not be given to a person who is being paid to sell a product to you. It should be a person who is altruistic, not a person with a potential conflict of interest.

[quote name='slowdive21']. The "deals" you guys are getting are just good enough to keep you coming back to Kmart and to gain market share from their competitors.
[/QUOTE]

HOW DARE HE?! GIVING US DEALS WE WANT JUST TO IMPROVE HIS MARKET SHARE?! The nerve. :bomb:

[quote name='slowdive21']First off this is all my opinion based on my background.

SHC isn't "sharing a deal". He is marketing a product to you. The CAG community is giving him free market research through direct feedback from consumers. If he is a buyer he should be able to adjust the quantity of product Kmart orders as well as pricing. The "deals" you guys are getting are just good enough to keep you coming back to Kmart and to gain market share from their competitors.

I don't see a problem with what he is doing as long as CAGs understand what is going on.

But that isn't the issue with the award. The award should not be given to a person who is being paid to sell a product to you. It should be a person who is altruistic, not a person with a potential conflict of interest.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with your interpretation of his actions, and "sharing a deal" doesn't necessarily exclude any benefits to him or his employer. I still hold by my description though I respect your point of view.

On to the main concern of the actual award I think it's still premature to draw these distinctions. Although the conditions of eligibility can be disputed over time I think in the long run it's better to allow fully open nominations to this award today to encourage more retailers to come on board and then create a separate category when there are enough retailers to warrant it. While it may seem unfair short term in the long term it is good for CAG to have users like SHC winning this award today.

It's SHC-Gamer's job to be the KMart community manager/PR rep with the fancy Official Representative account and should be excluded from individual CAG awards since he's not a normal CAG. Nobody else, as far as I know, gets paid to post deals, answer people's questions, and use his resources to actually affect the deals he can post in a way that's unfair and not to the spirit of the awards. Right now, he'll continue to win these awards either until he's excluded or more retailers have their own reps join CAG so that they get their own award.

Cheapy needs to take a look at the awards overall for next year to add or alter categories to address the issues that have been brought up. A new award is definitely needed for Best Digital Distribution Marketplace (Steam, PSN, XBL, iOS, and the other PC services) since they've grown over the past few years and have been ignored so far.

Glad iamthecheapestdouchebag didn't win; I know he was looking forward to it so he can gloat about how many people love him :booty:

[quote name='mightymek']I feel bad for Gamestop. Their online store sucks, no doubt about that. Almost all of their used, resurfaced games give me issues and I need to return them, but they always hook me up with some sort of coupon to compensate, which is cool. But their B&M stores aren't all that bad, IMO. They don't have amazing deals, but I never have a problem with the discs, I love their 7-day return policy on used games (I have bought some turds before and was happy to return them), and they generally have every game I need where other B&M stores usually only have a limited selection (anyone else go to 4 Kmarts for Yakuza 3 and come up empty handed?). If they had some better deals, and their online merchandise wasn't total shit, I think they'd fare better around these parts.[/QUOTE]

it's the "cool" thing to hate GameStop even though most CAGs take advantage of their deals

[quote name='buckythekat']it's the "cool" thing to hate GameStop even though most CAGs take advantage of their deals[/QUOTE]

Yup.

[quote name='Ed_']Glad iamthecheapestdouchebag didn't win; I know he was looking forward to it so he can gloat about how many people love him :booty:[/QUOTE]

I wish he would have won just so he would have a new catch phrase besides "I was banned from Gamestop."

[quote name='LordVila']I wish he would have won just so he would have a new catch phrase besides "I was banned from Gamestop."[/QUOTE]

Which he stole from my "banned from funcoland" story! ;)

I'm glad that Kmart won the best brick-and-mortar store.

A few of my reasons that I think they are the best:
1. They don't harass you with annoying gimmicks and memberships when you buy a game
2. They don't sell opened games as new
3. They don't give you grief about not pre-booking games

bread's done
Back