The ACLU is right about pretty much everything but...

[quote name='smalien1']They support spam as free speech.
Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

You lost me with the ridiculous subject line.

And unsolicited e-mail is not free speech. No one has a right to use bandwidth and storage I'm paying for without my permission.

[quote name='elprincipe']You lost me with the ridiculous subject line.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

(despite somewhat agreeing with the subject line).

Spam is an interesting argument - claiming "free speech" sets an interesting precedent about, as individuals, how much choice we have about being advertised to. I don't think they'll support people letting themselves into my house, saying "CHECK OUT THE LOW LOW RATES ON DITECH!", but it's a eyebrow raising position, to be sure.

This made me think of a story my friend told me the other night - years and years ago (this somehow ties into him meeting his partner for the first time, albeit indirectly), a Jehovah's Witness came to his house. When he realized who she was, he looked at her, straight faced, and told her "look, the only way you're getting in this house is if we're fucking." I think I'll have to use it anytime a JW comes to my home now.

[quote name='smalien1']They support spam as free speech.
Thoughts?[/quote]

My God, man. 'Spam' is about the tamest of the ACLU's bullshit policies when it comes to defending free speech. They are usually busy defending child rapists and radicals who preach insanity. The ACLU is a radical organization that does more damage to this country than Al Qaeda could ever hope to.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']My God, man. 'Spam' is about the tamest of the ACLU's bullshit policies when it comes to defending free speech. They are usually busy defending child rapists and radicals who preach insanity. The ACLU is a radical organization that does more damage to this country than Al Qaeda could ever hope to.[/QUOTE]

Totally, we should do away with free speech, it's for radicals. Who needs our civil liberties anyway? Obviously, Demonocrats and liburtals are the real enemy!

That's idiotic. Not everything written, spoken or otherwise qualifies as speech (see "fighting words" among others) - it has to have some value and I don't really see any value in spam.... and I'll defend just about everything under the sun.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']The ACLU is a radical organization that does more damage to this country than Al Qaeda could ever hope to.[/QUOTE]

And here is the other head of the two-headed serpent...

[quote name='elprincipe']You lost me with the ridiculous subject line.

And unsolicited e-mail is not free speech. No one has a right to use bandwidth and storage I'm paying for without my permission.[/QUOTE]

You could say that about all advertising on the internet, what would happen to our precious free market without ads!?! Also, know all the fine print when you give a website your email address? Well somewhere in there it often says you agree to receive emails from the site and it's affiliates, which means spammers. They get your address and sell it others and on and on and on.

Spam is protected by free speech, like it or not, spammers have every right to ask if you are interested in their product. Now harassment, that's a different story. If one spammer sends you emails every day for a month, if you can prove they all came from one dude, you might have a case.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']My God, man. 'Spam' is about the tamest of the ACLU's bullshit policies when it comes to defending free speech. They are usually busy defending child rapists and radicals who preach insanity. The ACLU is a radical organization that does more damage to this country than Al Qaeda could ever hope to.[/QUOTE]

You know, I was gonna let this go with the joke I made above, but I just can't. What has the American Civil Liberties Union done that is worse then September 11th? An organization hellbent on protecting your civil liberties is in what way worse then an organization hellbent on killing you? If you don't like the liberties they uphold, blame the founding fathers. (those lefty bastards ruined America!)

[quote name='Cheese']You could say that about all advertising on the internet, what would happen to our precious free market without ads!?! Also, know all the fine print when you give a website your email address? Well somewhere in there it often says you agree to receive emails from the site and it's affiliates, which means spammers. They get your address and sell it others and on and on and on.

Spam is protected by free speech, like it or not, spammers have every right to ask if you are interested in their product. Now harassment, that's a different story. If one spammer sends you emails every day for a month, if you can prove they all came from one dude, you might have a case.[/QUOTE]

These are two different things, surely. If I go to a website that has ads, I have actively chosen to visit said site. Same with a TV program or a video game with ads in it. OTOH, spam uses MY BANDWIDTH and MY STORAGE and MY PC, all of which I PAY FOR, as a resource for sleazy direct marketers.

[quote name='elprincipe']These are two different things, surely. If I go to a website that has ads, I have actively chosen to visit said site. Same with a TV program or a video game with ads in it. OTOH, spam uses MY BANDWIDTH and MY STORAGE and MY PC, all of which I PAY FOR, as a resource for sleazy direct marketers.[/quote]

I dislike you so much because you're obviously intelligent, but you always choose to put your head in the sand. Unlike BMulligan, who I suspect is a narcissist social darwinist ahole who's just debating positions for laughs.

[quote name='javeryh']That's idiotic. Not everything written, spoken or otherwise qualifies as speech (see "fighting words" among others) - it has to have some value and I don't really see any value in spam.... and I'll defend just about everything under the sun.[/QUOTE]

If spam didn't have any value, they would stop doing it just the same as any advertising. All of us here may be too clever to click on V-1-A-G-r-A ad, but some moron does. So it has some value.

[quote name='MrBadExample']If spam didn't have any value, they would stop doing it just the same as any advertising. All of us here may be too clever to click on V-1-A-G-r-A ad, but some moron does. So it has some value.[/quote]

That's not the kind of value I was talking about.

bread's done
Back