The Battle for March: FFXIII vs. GOW III vs. BC2

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
We talked about Nick Suttner's (@nsuttner) question on CAGcast #189...which would be the biggest seller in March. I'll base my "guess" off of CAG Amazon pre-orders, which breaks it down like this:

1. :ps3: Final Fantasy XIII (31.5%)
  2. :360: Battlefield Bad Company 2 (30.5%)
  3. :ps3: God of War III (17.8%)
  4. :ps3: Battlefield Bad Company 2 (11.5%)
  5. :360: Final Fantasy XIII (8.7%)

Final Fantasy XIII and God of War III has $10 promotion credit deals and Battlefield has a $20 bonus.

I've added the percentages so you can see just how close the Battlefield (360) and FFXIII (PS3) pre-order numbers are.

What's your guess?

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Fantasy and on the PS3 of course. It's fan base is way way bigger than battlefield's and god of war's.

Didn't people even buy PS3s at launch just because they thought it was going to be a Sony exclusive?

It seems Cheapy put some research behind this. I'm somewhat impressed.

1 - Pokemon Heart Gold :ds:
2 - Pokemon Soul Silver :ds:
3 - Final Fantasy XIII :ps3:
4 - God of War 3 :ps3:
5 - Battlefield Bad Company 2 :360:
6 - Battlefield Bad Company 2 :ps3:
7 - Final Fantasy XIII :360:

[quote name='mykevermin']1. FFXIII PS3
2. God of War III
3. BF:BC2 360
4. FFXIII 360
5. BF:BC2 PS3[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

1. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
2. God of War 3
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360)
4. Final Fantasy XIII (360)
5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)

I've added the percentages to the OP so you can see just how close the Battlefield (360) and FFXIII (PS3) pre-order numbers are.

[quote name='KingBroly']Are you calculating the $400 bundle into those numbers, Cheapy?[/QUOTE]

All three of them?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']All three of them?[/QUOTE]

He's just checking numbers from US Amazon. Although it won't be reported in NPD the breakdown of regular 360's to bundled 360's sold, I thought he might know. But let's remember that Amazon doesn't always tell the full tale, but it is a very good measuring tape.

[quote name='KingBroly']Are you calculating the $400 bundle into those numbers, Cheapy?[/QUOTE]
I did not. I just checked and there aren't very many ordered.

[quote name='KingBroly']He's just checking numbers from US Amazon. Although it won't be reported in NPD the breakdown of regular 360's to bundled 360's sold, I thought he might know. But let's remember that Amazon doesn't always tell the full tale, but it is a very good measuring tape.[/QUOTE]

Dunno. That $20 credit for BF:BC is likely creating anomalies in sales at Amazon that won't be reflected in the final tally IMO. To be fair, their marketing campaign is quite good - the television commercial I saw for it aggressively goes after the MW2 crowd.

[quote name='mykevermin']Dunno. That $20 credit for BF:BC is likely creating anomalies in sales at Amazon that won't be reflected in the final tally IMO. To be fair, their marketing campaign is quite good - the television commercial I saw for it aggressively goes after the MW2 crowd.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen the commercials, but it's a pretty safe bet to count on EA being able to sell shooters. I think the credit anomaly and marketing/brand might balance each other out.

Could be.

This is what I saw the other night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJ1G-JFp6A

I rarely pay attention to my tv, let alone commercials (but I'm one of those numbskulls who leaves it on anyway). On top of that, war-based shooters don't really grab my attention. So for this to succeed (on a focus group of just me, admittedly) is telling.

On a related note, I was drawn to another TV commercial the same night. I heard some soft R&B music and turned around, thinking "what the fuck is this a commercoial for!?!?!"

"Oh, Final Fantasy."

1. :ps3: Final Fantasy XIII
  2. :360: Battlefield Bad Company 2
  3. :ps3: God of War III
  4. :360: Final Fantasy XIII
  5. :ps3: Battlefield Bad Company 2
First two I'm sort of iffy about, especially since it's a PS3 game.

With the sheer force of the marketing push EA has put behind BF, it's getting my top vote.

1- BFBC2- Xbox 360
3- FF13- PS3
2- GOW3
4- BFBC2- PS3
5- FF13-Xbox 360

TODAY IS THE DAY!!

I have a feeling my #1 and #2 should be swapped.

Edit: Results are in:

GOD OF WAR III* PS3 SONY Mar-10 1.10M 1
POKEMON SOULSILVER VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 1.02M 2
FINAL FANTASY XIII PS3 SQUARE ENIX Mar-10 828.2K 3
BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-10 825.5K 4
POKEMON HEARTGOLD VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-10 761.2K 5
FINAL FANTASY XIII 360 SQUARE ENIX Mar-10 493.9K 6
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 457.4K 7
BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-10 451.2K 8
WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09 429.6K 9
MLB 10: THE SHOW PS3 SONY Mar-10 349.2K 10

bread's done