The best 3rd party warranty for PS3?

KuragariNoKaze

CAGiversary!
Okay so I'm thinking about getting a PS3 now that it's down to 300 bucks.

My major reluctance is that Sony's really shady by releasing a console that breaks and to get it fixed you have to pay 150 bucks to get it repaired.

Sony doesn't offer extended warranty service which is idiotic in and of itself.

So I figure if I'm buying a $300 console I don't want it to cost me $450 if it breaks. The only solution to that is to buy a 3rd party warranty.

I was looking on Amazon and they suggest NEW. When I look at new's reviews they aren't very good, apparently they're just a shifty warranty company that gives you junk in return. Not my idea of a good use of my money.

So the question is, has anyone bought an extended warranty with a 3rd party that doesn't suck?

Have you used it it? Do they give you crap? Do they charge shipping?
I mean NEW is the same price, but from what I've seen they'll take your PS3 and send it back with the same issue. I don't want to pay for what is essentially a fake warranty.

I just got a 3 year warranty from Square trade for $29.95. Enter $299 as the total and it comes up as $34.95 instead of $45. use coupon code 'LABOR' for...20% off I think. Not sure if the code is still active.

Well thanks for that tip... I'm not in a massive hurry to buy a PS3 I'm hoping they'll do a deal with a game between now and christmas with the slim.. I'd just like to know if square trade is dependable unlike NEW reportedly isn't.

[quote name='KuragariNoKaze']Well thanks for that tip... I'm not in a massive hurry to buy a PS3 I'm hoping they'll do a deal with a game between now and christmas with the slim.. I'd just like to know if square trade is dependable unlike NEW reportedly isn't.[/QUOTE]

They have a fairly good rating...here's what their site says;

Our standard warranty covers mechanical and electrical failures that occur during normal use. You get 100% Parts & Labor coverage with zero deductibles. Drops and spills are covered if you purchase Accidental Damage from Handling (only available on some new, store-bought items - deductible applies).

We do not cover pre-existing conditions or issues that occur in the first 60 days from item purchase. You should be covered for these issues by the seller, the marketplace (e.g., eBay), and/or the payment provider (e.g., PayPal or a credit card).

At SquareTrade, we make our Service Agreements easy to understand. The following summary should help you to quickly find what you need to know about your coverage. It is followed by the actual Service Agreement itself.

SQUARETRADE SERVICE AGREEMENT SUMMARY

HOW LONG IT LASTS:
If your item is new and has a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days ("MSP"), this Service Agreement begins the day you purchased the item and lasts for the number of years of coverage you specify at purchase time.

If your item is refurbished and has a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days ("MSP"), this Service Agreement begins upon expiration of manufacturer warranty and lasts for the number of years of coverage you specify at purchase time.

If your item is used, or doesn't have a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days ("Other"), then the Service Agreement begins on the 61st day after item purchase and lasts for the number of years of coverage you specify at purchase time.

WHAT IS COVERED:
Mechanical and electrical failures that occur during normal use of your item. Your item is covered for up to the full purchase price of your item (tax and shipping are excluded).
Some examples of covered issues include computer hard drive failures, iPod batteries that stop charging, cell phone keypads that get stuck, and digital camera sensor failures.
If Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) Protection was purchased, the Service Agreement expands to include damage from liquid spills, item drops, or any other accidental damage. ADH coverage begins 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss. A $50 deductible applies on ADH-related claims. ADH is not offered on all items.

ADH coverage begins 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss. A $50 deductible applies on ADH-related claims. ADH is not offered on all items

HOW THE COVERAGE WORKS:
Reimbursements: Often times, reimbursing you the full cost of the item is faster and more cost-effective. If your item's shippable, we will provide you with a pre-paid shipping label. We generally pay claims (minus the minimum postage fee for the label) within 3-5 business days of item receipt.

For items still covered by a manufacturer warranty at the time of claim: First, we will help you file a claim with your manufacturer.

If the manufacturer replaces or repairs your item , your SquareTrade Care Plan will cover your manufacturer repaired or replaced item.

If the manufacturer refuses to honor their warranty because they consider your item grey market or not purchased from an authorized retailer, we will still cover you.
If we decide to repair, here's how the coverage works:

For Shippable Items: We will give you a pre-paid shipping label (for laptops and TVs, we will mail you a shipping kit to ensure item safety). Once you've shipped your item to our service depot, we will repair it within 3-5 days and then ship it back to you at no cost to you. Laptops get express shipment both to and from our depot.

For Desktop Computers, Televisions over 37 inches and Large Appliances: We will help you schedule an appointment with a local repair facility for in-home service and we will pay the repair facility directly.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: Refer to the details of the contract for the full list, but there are 5 notable exclusions to your coverage.

Product failures within the first 60 days: We don't cover items that are dead on arrival or that fail within the first 60 days.

Accidental damage: Unless Accidental Damage from Handling Protection is purchased, we don't cover items that are accidentally damaged - such as water damage, dropped iPods, and cracked laptop screens.

Accessories and Consumer replaceable parts: We don't cover accessories and parts that are meant to be replaced by the consumer, such as batteries and ink cartridges.
Software: We don't cover software issues, including software for computers, cell phones and PDAs.

Certain Types of Items. Items used in a commercial setting (e.g., an office printer) or fraudulently misrepresented are not covered.

VALUE OF YOUR COVERAGE

The total value of your warranty is in most cases equal to the purchase price of your item. For every valid claim filed against your item for which we provide repair services, the total value of your coverage is reduced by the cost of the repair services rendered. In the event a valid claim is filed with us and repair costs are estimated to exceed the current value of your warranty - the balance of your warranty value will be offered instead.

HOW TO GET SERVICE: Simply log into www.squaretrade.com/claims, go to My Warranties and select the Claims tab. Select the correct item, the reason for the claim, and its specific issue from the drop-down menus. Also briefly describe the problem in the next box below. You'll also be asked a few questions that will help us isolate the likely problems. You will be contacted shortly after you submit your claim with instructions on how to proceed next.

You can also call us at 1.877.WARRANTY, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Typically, we process your claim the same day and repair or reimburse you within 3-5 business days of receiving your item.

For items bought outside of eBay: you need to have a copy of the item's receipt (with the purchase date and price) on file with SquareTrade before a claim can be processed. You can email or FAX a copy of your receipt at any time.

For items bought on eBay: SquareTrade keeps a copy of the eBay auction information in our records, so you do not need to submit a receipt at any time.

DEDUCTIBLES: There are no deductibles for standard contract issues. Claims made under Accidental Damage from Handling coverage will incur a $50 deductible

REFUND POLICY: We will provide you with a full refund if you cancel your Service Agreement 60 days from purchase of the Care Plan. If you choose to cancel your Service Agreement after this period, we will pro-rate your refund based on how much time has passed. You can also transfer your Service Agreement at any time at no cost.

MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS: We may periodically send you marketing offers via e-mail. If you do not wish to receive these offers, simply click the opt-out link provided at the bottom of any e-mail.

That explains a lot, thanks! If anyone has anything further to say about 3rd party warranties, good or bad, please feel free. It'd be good to keep this going to make sure so people who want a PS3 can feel confident in buying one.

I know Best buy had or still having a deal where you get a PS3 an extra controller, HDMI cable, and 2 year warranty for $379

First of all, sony does offer extended service plans on ps3. Go to sonystyle.com and click on "service plans" at the bottom of the page:

PlayStation® Extended Service Plans

Sony Extended Service Plans are now available for PLAYSTATION®3.

You will enjoy many years of quality entertainment from your PlayStation and now you can have the added peace of mind of knowing you are covered in the event you should need service.

---

SQUARETRADE SERVICE AGREEMENT SUMMARY

HOW LONG IT LASTS:

* If your item is new and has a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days ("MSP"), this Service Agreement begins the day you purchased the item and lasts for the number of years of coverage you specify at purchase time.

Since the PS3 comes with a year warranty already, squaretrade's "3 year warranty" is really deceptive. It should be called a 2 year warranty as it eats into the warranty you already get with sony. Sony's own "extended" warranty also runs concurrently, so take a year off whatever they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
quick question -
I bought my ps3 slim from target. I want to get a warranty. What's more efficient to go with in the long run when/if my ps3 stops working? Target's extended warranty for $20 or so bucks or the sonystyle warranty?

Nevermind, I don't want to spend more than $25 on a warranty plan so i'll go with target. Anybody familiar with target's warranty practices?

Usually, if I wanted a warranty that covered something for longer than the manufacturer's warranty, I would just buy the item and warranty at Best Buy.

They used to have the 'Product Replacement Plan', in which you brought in your malfunctioning product to the store and they gave you a new one of the same item on the spot.

However, they got rid of that(probably due to abuse from people using it to 'upgrade' to a newer model of whatever item every couple of years)and only have the Product Service Plan now. But now it's called Geek Squad Black Tie something or other and it's total shit anymore from what I've heard.

I have seen SquareTrade mentioned on here before, though I never looked into getting their extended warranty for anything as of yet.

But on their site, I did see a section that is kind of disconcerting when it comes to repairs/warranty service. Basically, it says that if your item is unable to be repaired if you use their pre-paid UPS shipping label they will deduct that amount from the final payout amount.

So if it cost them $30-50 or so to ship your PS3 to them via UPS, you get that much less on the payout.

Thus far that's the ONLY thing I've seen that seems kind of shady about them.

I'm just wondering--what is your claim based on?

I mean, about Sony being shady and breaking consoles? Just because I think I remember reading somewhere that the PS3 failed the LEAST of this generation of consoles. (Wii, 360, PS3) I could be wrong but that's what I think I remember.

I know I personally owned a Wii which failed inside of a year (thankfully within warranty) and my PS3 is now approaching 2 years old never having a hiccup. And we all know the 360 has been notorious for failure, although now it's supposedly a thing of the past. I know plenty of people who have red-ringed more than one time, but that was before they supposedly fixed the 360 to fail less.

Again, I'm not saying I'm the authority on this, but in my experience it seems that the PS3 is relatively reliable, all things considered. The Slim, on the other hand--that's still to be tested...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Usually, if I wanted a warranty that covered something for longer than the manufacturer's warranty, I would just buy the item and warranty at Best Buy.

They used to have the 'Product Replacement Plan', in which you brought in your malfunctioning product to the store and they gave you a new one of the same item on the spot.

However, they got rid of that(probably due to abuse from people using it to 'upgrade' to a newer model of whatever item every couple of years)and only have the Product Service Plan now. But now it's called Geek Squad Black Tie something or other and it's total shit anymore from what I've heard.

I have seen SquareTrade mentioned on here before, though I never looked into getting their extended warranty for anything as of yet.

But on their site, I did see a section that is kind of disconcerting when it comes to repairs/warranty service. Basically, it says that if your item is unable to be repaired if you use their pre-paid UPS shipping label they will deduct that amount from the final payout amount.

So if it cost them $30-50 or so to ship your PS3 to them via UPS, you get that much less on the payout.

Thus far that's the ONLY thing I've seen that seems kind of shady about them.[/QUOTE]

A Priority Mail Large Flat-Rate Box costs $14 and the dimensions are 12" x 12" x 6". This is almost a perfect size for a PS3 Slim :) Yeah, it sucks that it costs money to send it in, but it definitely won't cost $30-50 as you were saying.

But how much padding can you REALLY put in one of those flat rate boxes? Plus, what if the warranty company demands a specific type of shipping and won't allow USPS?

I've used the flat rate boxes before, but never for shipping consoles and even though the PS3 slim is smaller than the fat model PS3, I don't think I'd trust the USPS to deliver it in one piece. And if it were a fat model, then I know I wouldn't trust them, since the console would be squished into the flat rate box and probably repeatedly jarred en route.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But how much padding can you REALLY put in one of those flat rate boxes? Plus, what if the warranty company demands a specific type of shipping and won't allow USPS?

I've used the flat rate boxes before, but never for shipping consoles and even though the PS3 slim is smaller than the fat model PS3, I don't think I'd trust the USPS to deliver it in one piece. And if it were a fat model, then I know I wouldn't trust them, since the console would be squished into the flat rate box and probably repeatedly jarred en route.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to bust your bubble but UPS and Fedex aren't any better in regards to shipping. I've seen how they handle packages at the UPS hubs and it isn't pretty. As for padding, If it's already broken, there's a good chance they will replace your unit. Otherwise I'd just wrap the Slim in the sleeve it came in and put peanuts all around it.

I found the solution to the warranty issues: Buy your PS3 at sonystyle.com.
You can buy an extended warranty up to 4 years. Currently they're running a deal if you buy a PS3, an accessory (you can buy either the $10 av cable which is useless since the ps3 comes with it or the $20 component cable and use that), and a 3 or 4 year warranty you get $50 off. You'll pay taxes, but get free shipping. If you apply and qualify for a Sony Card you can get another $50 back. I'm not quite sure but I think you can also get the Sony Rewards points from the program and turn those into credit, which should be another $20 back. So all in all if you want an extended warranty and can get the credit card (if they reject you, call them and ask for a lower limit), it's a decent deal on a PS3 with the assurance that it's covered if it breaks down on you.

The Warranty Bundle:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...1&categoryId=8198552921644574405&N=4294965437

Sony Card:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644595898

Playstation Card:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644604396

Not sure if there's much difference between the Playstation and Sony Card deals. They seem to be nearly the same.

Hey Kuragari,
Myself john.thanks for giving me a such nice link here.in up i am reading about only
upto 3yrs warranty but now you have that upto 4yrs warranty.now i will definatly buy
from it.and using roughly.thanks for helping nicely.

good luck.

bread's done
Back