The best RPG game

muppetlove

CAG Veteran
I want to know your opinion on what the best RPG game is for the Playstation1 or 2 BUT it must be similar to the Dark Cloud and Kingdom Hearts games! So list any of your favorite RPGs for PS1/2 that are like Dark Cloud and/or Kingdom Hearts. thanks for any input!

edited to add: I've thought about playing Rouge Galaxy and Duel Hearts they sound good. Are these any good? I Know some of these might not be RPGs but I'm asking in general now:
Legend of Dragoon
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Final Fantasy IX
Shadow of the Colossus
Star Ocean till the end of time

Last edited by a moderator:
While the RPG elements are pretty sparse, the core gameplay of KH is pretty similar to Zelda.

Also I consider the KH games spiritual successors to Secret of Mana.

[quote name='muppetlove']I want to know your opinion on what the best RPG game is for the Playstation1 or 2 BUT it must be similar to the Dark Cloud and Kingdom Hearts games! So list any of your favorite RPGs for PS1/2 that are like Dark Cloud and/or Kingdom Hearts. thanks for any input![/quote]

:whee: :joystick:

A little closed-minded, aren't we? Dark Cloud/2 has randomly generated dungeons, while KH/II is straight-forward. Are you looking for your fav. Action-RPG?

While the best RPG of the system was undoubtedly Final Fantasy XII (and fuck anyone else who says otherwise), there were some pretty good ARPG's which include Tales of the Abyss, Rogue Galaxy (also by Level 5), and Radiata Stories.

[quote name='muppetlove']I want to know your opinion on what the best RPG game is for the Playstation1 or 2 BUT it must be similar to the Dark Cloud and Kingdom Hearts games! So list any of your favorite RPGs for PS1/2 that are like Dark Cloud and/or Kingdom Hearts. thanks for any input![/quote]

Grandia.

[quote name='depascal22']Final Fantasy XII
Tales of the Abyss[/quote]

This. The gameplay is not exactly the same, but they are similar enough and are fantastic games.

[quote name='punkmaggit']
While the best RPG of the system was undoubtedly Final Fantasy XII (and fuck anyone else who says otherwise).[/quote]
Thanks for trying but no. Final Fantasy 12 is an abortion of a game that was stuck in development hell for forever because of that the game had no identity no soul, and lacked any characters that you might give a shit about. The story was laughably bad, and 1/2 way through the game it turned into, O SHIT FIND THE NEXT CRYSTAL. It was the worst RPG I have played in along long time.

Sqaure better fucking step it up with FF13.

Both of you need to chill out. It's just a video game. I happen to think it's a great game but I thought it really sucked when I first got it. I didn't think the story was AAA but it was decent and got you moving from point A to point B with minimal confusion. The battle system was good and there weren't any random encounters. All positives in my book.

[quote name='punkmaggit']the best RPG of the system was undoubtedly Final Fantasy XII[/quote]
+1. :)

How about the .hack//G.U. games, are they any good?

[quote name='cletus']If you liked Dark Cloud 2 because of the combat system you will hate Final Fantasy 12.[/QUOTE]
I liked Dark Cloud 2 for several reasons, but FFXII was just bad. For one thing, your average Final Fantasy should be beatable in fifty hours or less (not including sidequests, obviously); that's an impossibility with FFXII, made far less bearable due to a battle system which becomes incredibly boring after all that time, a story which is more fetch quest heavy than most, and the single worst main character in the entire series.

Also, FFXII is not an action RPG, so it's probably not up the OP's alley anyway.

I guess I'm looking for games like Dark Cloud and Kingdom Hearts that aren't TOO difficult. I didn't think those ones were anyway... I also love the building towns aspect of Dark Cloud. Are there any other games that do that?

[quote name='muppetlove']I guess I'm looking for games like Dark Cloud and Kingdom Hearts that aren't TOO difficult. I didn't think those ones were anyway... I also love the building towns aspect of Dark Cloud. Are there any other games that do that?[/quote]

Doesn't Legend of Mana for the PS1 have something like that? I've never played it so I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember hearing a comparison between that and Dark Cloud.

[quote name='Rave Child']Doesn't Legend of Mana for the PS1 have something like that? I've never played it so I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember hearing a comparison between that and Dark Cloud.[/quote]

Legend of Mana allows you to plunk down locations wherever you want to build your own little game world, but iirc, it doesn't affect gameplay much. All it did was change which spirits would be available in which areas, which only really mattered if you were trying to maximize your weapons/magic.

Also, on the topic of FF12 - I personally hated it. I kept trying to get into it, but it seemed if you levelled up to quickly/set your gambits properly, the game became too easy. More often than not, I could play the game using only analog sticks. Ok for Katamari, not so much with an RPG.

Since it seems you like the more actiony stuff, I would definitely recommend Rogue Galaxy. Absolutely - you must play that.

bread's done
Back