The better Ratchet and Clank....

xgemini87

CAGiversary!
If I were to buy a Ratchet and Clank game for the PS3, which one is better?

Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time?

You really can't go wrong with either. If you're not sure about it and just want to give one a try, Tools of Destruction is cheaper. On the other hand, the graphics, effects, and such are slightly better in A Crack in Time (and I mean slightly, as Tools of Destruction looks awesome as well). Gameplay-wise, they're really similar, except that A Crack in Time gets rid of the somewhat kludgy and difficult to control 3D space flight sequences and replaces them with a more 2D model that's easier to control (it will make sense when you play it).

Story-wise, they form a bit of a trilogy (with the downloadable Quest For Booty in the middle), so if you're really looking to follow the plot, you might want to start with Tools of Destruction. That being said, the plot didn't really seem all that significant to me while I was playing.

well on amazon ToD is 28 bucks and ACiT now dropped to 37... would you say spending 9 bucks more for ACiT is better?

Have not played ACIT yet (sitting on my shelf unwrapped), but TOD was really good. I'd do what SaintNoir said. Get the first one on the cheap, then, if you enjoy it, get the sequel. I got the Quest for Booty off of PSN. It was short and a little tough, but that was good too.

I wanted to go in order but couldnt find a gameshare for Quest for Booty so i just played 1 and then three.

Both great games. My favorite part of A Crack In Time is the hoverboots and Mr Zarchon steals the show and needs his own game.

And does anything think the next Ratchet game should have some online multiplayer like Up Your Arsenal did but way better?

I preferred A Crack in Time, but Tools of Destruction isn't really what I'd call a lesser game. I just felt that by the time I got to ToD, I'd already played through five games in the series and the formula was becoming a little stale. So I welcomed ACiT, which switches things up a bit with more drama and less comedy, as well as better focus but at the cost of increased linearity. I guess preference may come down to how many R&Cs you've played in the past.

All the ratchet games are great, which is also kind of a problem.

Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, ToD, CIT

Pick any one of them and you'll find the same great experience, so why do you really need to purchase the next one? They don't exactly change that much at all..

I've been a fan of RaC since the 1st PS2 game and I can vouch that ToD is a better game than ACiT. ACiT lacked the charm of a RaC game (and it feels like it has barely any weapons). Though both a great games.

Tools of Destruction had better weapon progression and they didn't level in the blink of an eye.

ACiT puts more attention to puzzle elements with the time part.

My recommendation is to buy them in order. This series is fantastic.

imo its the second and 3rd ratchet and clank. especially when it came to the battle arena sections i think the second on had it where you could climb up a wall and fight. and it had a very cool 3d flying sections.

Tools of Destruction was the first Ratchet and Clank game I played (or even saw) and I loved every minute of it,. I can't recommend it enough honestly. I liked it so much I immediately played it a second time after finishing it. I had just gotten a PS3 and playing that game just reminded me of being a kid and spending hours on end having a blast playing Crash Bandicoot. It's just a great game all around and it's loads of fun.

For some reason A Crack In Time didn't get my attention the same way and is still waiting on the shelf, but I think it was mostly due to the timing of the release and having plenty of other games I've been playing since. But the graphics are definately upgraded for ACIT and from what I've seen so far the cut scenes look amazing and are absolutely hilarious. I've put the disc in a couple times just to watch the "Night of the Living Squishies" scene where we see the villian rehearsing for a play. Still LOL every time.

tools of destruction is a good game, though i dont like it much. not sure why, but i think its just a little too childish in certain ways, whereas big planet is as kiddy as it gets and i love it more than most of my others....so i tihink crack in time is better cuz of the little puzzles u use crank with. its funner than the first and more versatile, however most sites thing ToD is the better/best of the series

btw im selling/trading tools of destruction for games/bluray/DLC so PM me

bread's done
Back