The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']They just told me that Edge is no longer stacking with Trade-2-Get-$10 at GameStop. also, Chromehounds and EDF2017 both dropped to $1.50 a pop.

The kicker is I had spares of those just sitting around from the last BBV BOGO that I just found today.[/quote]

Less than an hour ago my 10% stacked with the extra $10. Either an employee was wrong, or rules in your state are different than mine, or he lied and deliberately made it so you would get less credit because he thought u were flipping.

Also, I got 5 bucks for EDF2017 yesterday. That sucks.

[quote name='CaoPi']does BB take trade ins during the night? I ran into some employee and told me they don't take trade ins at night, probably he is a slacker. This was around 8-9 ish for vdo games.[/quote]

I guess it's YMMV but my store does. Actually I went in on the day GTA4 came out, traded in some games, and walked out with GTA4 in hand at around 9:30pm. However I understand if they don't take in trades at night for security reasons.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']They just told me that Edge is no longer stacking with Trade-2-Get-$10 at GameStop.[/quote]

|Did the ytel lyou that over the phone ??? I just got back from a trip to 2 stores and both times my edge card stacked.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']They just told me that Edge is no longer stacking with Trade-2-Get-$10 at GameStop. also, Chromehounds and EDF2017 both dropped to $1.50 a pop.

The kicker is I had spares of those just sitting around from the last BBV BOGO that I just found today.[/quote]

Yeah that cant be right. Id go back and ask to talk with a manager or something.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Less than an hour ago my 10% stacked with the extra $10. Either an employee was wrong, or rules in your state are different than mine, or he lied and deliberately made it so you would get less credit because he thought u were flipping.

Also, I got like 4 bucks for EDF2017 yesterday. That sucks.[/QUOTE]

Same here I traded in about an hour and a half ago and it definitely stacked.

Also, I just came from back from blockbuster and talk to the manager that knows me pretty well. She said that I can pretty much preorder any game that they a release date for in the system. Not sure if this is YMMV but if you are definitely cool with the manager of your BB it wouldn't hurt to ask if you can preorder whatever game they have release date for.

I got the $2 refurb fee the other day without mentioning a word. I made them reverse the whole trade-in and got my games back. Not that I care about the $2 that much, but I just hate those sneaking things.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Shit. Those cocksuckers also threw a $2 refurb fee on without mentioning it. >=/[/quote]

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Shit. Those cocksuckers also threw a $2 refurb fee on without mentioning it. >=/[/QUOTE]

You guys should really look at receipt and/or the swipe machine before you guys go through with these transactions. you have the right to cancel anytime before you complete these transactions and these refub. fees are BS because it just takes away from your credit. Buyer or rather Trader Beware....

[quote name='CaoPi']does BB take trade ins during the night? I ran into some employee and told me they don't take trade ins at night, probably he is a slacker. This was around 8-9 ish for vdo games.[/quote]

Actually depending on the pawn shop laws in your area, there are some BBV's that, by law, cannot accept trades after a certain time (I believe the cutoff is either 5 or 6PM). This may or may not be the case. The other possibility is the store manager wants to be present for all trades, thus they allow trades when he/she works, which is almost always day shifts.

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']What 26% discount?[/quote]

10% off edge discount along with the 16% off "CAG16" coupon. You can also stack "SAVER" for free shipping on $25+.

I've been selling games for 10% less than what GS lists, while i'm not only getting 26% off (16% profit), the credit I have was earned at a 2:1 ratio. So its like i'm making 116% profit.

[quote name='Bezerker']10% off edge discount along with the 16% off "CAG16" coupon. You can also stack "SAVER" for free shipping on $25+.

I've been selling games for 10% less than what GS lists, while i'm not only getting 26% off, the credit im using costs a lot less than the amt they are paying.[/quote]

Oh I didnt know you could use the edge card online. Interesting...thanks.

[quote name='CaoPi']does BB take trade ins during the night? I ran into some employee and told me they don't take trade ins at night, probably he is a slacker. This was around 8-9 ish for vdo games.[/QUOTE]

As others have stated, YMMV. I've never had a problem trading at any time of day at any store and I've done my share of "just before they close" trades ;).

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']They just told me that Edge is no longer stacking with Trade-2-Get-$10 at GameStop. also, Chromehounds and EDF2017 both dropped to $1.50 a pop.[/quote]

You may want to see if they screwed you on those, too, because someone else reported $5 on EDF just now in the GS thread. I asked him to verify if that was from today so we'll see.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Yea, Id go back and talk to a manager. Especially if you got a lot of credit in that transaction. Like if u got 50 dollars credit, they owe you another 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Well, the Edge bump is nice, of course, but it won't really work like that. The 10% is applied pre-bonus, so it ends up not being that much unless your base trade-ins added up to $50 (like, if you had about 10 Blockbuster games or so). However, what you are suggesting is a good idea - they might be apologetic enough that they do give you a 10% bump for the total trade value - that would be nice.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Shit. Those cocksuckers also threw a $2 refurb fee on without mentioning it. >=/[/QUOTE]

Wow, this guy really had it in for you. No Edge, screwy trade-in values that are less than others get, AND a refurb fee. It's almost like he knew exactly what you were up to ;).

But man, I would go ballistic if they tried throwing one of those on there without being upfront about it. Fine if they say they'd have to charge me $2 for one of the games - I'd politely decline and keep that game (and it's twin so the bonus wasn't screwed up). I'd just take 'em to another store that wouldn't charge the fee. But it seems pretty common from the GS thread that they slap these fees on without telling people. That is horrible.

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Oh I didnt know you could use the edge card online. Interesting...thanks.[/quote]

On a similar note, when you use "DIAMOND", how do they check whether or not you're a member? I've tried to use it but have been unsuccessful thus far.

And are there any coupon codes that allow you to get discounts on NEW games? SAVER I guess, because it's free shipping, but CAG16 and your edge card only work for used... :whistle2:(

Just in case anyone wants an "easy" flip. The GS Gameday sale means the Sega Superstar Tennis for the Wii is $19.99 BRAND NEW. So if you get that it flips to $26. Not a great flip by any means but if you cant find any used I guess getting 4-5 bucks in the positive is better then nothing...

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']Just in case anyone wants an "easy" flip. The GS Gameday sale means the Sega Superstar Tennis for the Wii is $19.99 BRAND NEW. So if you get that it flips to $26. Not a great flip by any means but if you cant find any used I guess getting 4-5 bucks in the positive is better then nothing...[/quote]

Actually, with gas, 4-5 bucks is pretty much nothing with what else is available.

The B2G1 will be more profitable for sure as long as there is a drop equivalent to the Assassin's Creed in the last sale ($18 -> $35).

[quote name='djkunai']Actually, with gas, 4-5 bucks is pretty much nothing with what else is available.

The B2G1 will be more profitable for sure as long as there is a drop equivalent to the Assassin's Creed in the last sale ($18 -> $35).[/quote]

Yeah thats true about gas. Guess it depends on how much you have to drive to get to both places. Personally I wasnt going to do that option but figured Id throw it up in here since technically it IS a positive transaction.

I already dumped 3 strangleholds, the rests seem to be about 7-8 miles away, if a TIV is not at least or close to being double I don't bother trading them in.

My GameRush didn't have DBZ Burst Limit for sale or as a rental which blows because I was just about to sign up for a game pass so that I could rent that and many other games. I think I'm going to check out Family Video to see if they have an unlimited game rentals pass for around $20, and if they have Burst Limit.

[quote name='spauldingfan']Just hit 525 GS credit, I hope theres a B2G1 sale this weekend...... please Jesus...please.....[/quote]

I got 380 at GS and over 100 at BBV still. Please Jesus, I hope theres a B2G1 also. I might have to start going to church and praying to the CAG gods...

Ugh, 3 strangleholds about 3 blocks from my house... hopefully the b2g1 free deal starts soon and price holds up :)

Although this post is more gamestop than BBV, i figure most of you people are getting info for flipping anyway.

Gamestop lowered the price of Scholarship: Bully Edition (WII) to 26.99 online (19.00 after coupons). Might be worth checking out online with the 26% off used games and Free Ship. Also, SST (WII) came back up online at 17.99 used. I think they limit 1 per household. Just thought I'd note it for you guys in the states. If it is limited, just order another 17.99 game and take it back to gamestop w/ the receipt. Just remember to use your edge card number (or somebody's), cag16 and saver.

Sorry I can't call them and find out exactly what TIVs are for SST WII or if bully is even flippable (no phone, and wouldnt pay long distance anyway :p )... but im assuming SST will somewhat hold to make a 13$ cost flippable... so it's worth mentioning in here.

Finally got around to talking to a DM after 3 weeks of fucking pestering people, and unfortunately it looks like Im still going to be banned. He clung onto the phrase "We reserve the right to limit trades" like it was the fucking cure for cancer. He did not seem to think my alternatives of limiting trades, such as oh, I don't know, TELLING THE fuckING CUSTOMER, or say updating the trade agreement, hiring competent employees or fixing your broken computer system might help. He also very briefly mentioned that "since one day I traded in multiple copies of a same game (probably beowulf) to multiple stores, that violated the 2 per title per trade account", but after I asked if every store was one trade account, why they cant see each other in the fucking computer, and why I have to sign a new trade agreement at each store, but he didn't have anything for that one either.

Anyways, I just got a hold of an email of "someone important", so Im about to fire off an email on why they lost a customer. I will then return Semi-Pro and have my account cancelled, and start renting from Family Video across the street (they do a lot of resurfacing for me for cheap, so I should start tossing some bucks their way). Since I live at a new address, I imagine if I got my license updated in the future I could remake a new account, but Im not terribly worried about it.

Dave

So, any NEW trade values? This thread seems to be muddled with GameStop deals. I'm surprised no one reported back with NHL 08 values for both systems....oh well, maybe I will today.

[quote name='stoned99']Actually, I disagree with SDC, the ability to convert a rental to a purchase is a deal that is often forgotten, so the occasional reminder seems appropriate because I don't recall if this little fact is in the thread notes (page#1)...

However I think this is also a rather selfish act as once the game is removed from rental no one else can actually rent and play any of the older classics / gems, so canvasing all your local GR/BB's to make a buck just seems distasteful.

But saying that, it is BB's policy and it's their own fault for not valueing there own stock more carefully.

And I also have to admit to being a hypocrite because I have converted brand new rentals to puchases in the past when the idiots didn't get forsale copies even though I had preordered the game in question.

Q. By calling myself a hypocrite will I receive a timeout like last time:imwithst:[/quote]
Hey, I never had a gamecube and I got a Wii about a year and a half ago, and I've been really wanting to play pikmin and pikmin 2. I got pikmin about 6 months ago at gamestop for $9.99 and have been looking all over the place for pikmin 2 for about well...6 months. I wasn't willing to pay $50-$70 on ebay or $40 at gamestop and I wasn't looking to make a buck, just looking for a great/rare game, and became happy as hell I found it for $14 and thought I should share with everyone in the forum who may be looking for pikmin 2 or great/rare games! :)

[quote name='MightySlacker']Finally got around to talking to a DM after 3 weeks of fucking pestering people, and unfortunately it looks like Im still going to be banned. He clung onto the phrase "We reserve the right to limit trades" like it was the fucking cure for cancer. He did not seem to think my alternatives of limiting trades, such as oh, I don't know, TELLING THE fuckING CUSTOMER, or say updating the trade agreement, hiring competent employees or fixing your broken computer system might help. He also very briefly mentioned that "since one day I traded in multiple copies of a same game (probably beowulf) to multiple stores, that violated the 2 per title per trade account", but after I asked if every store was one trade account, why they cant see each other in the fucking computer, and why I have to sign a new trade agreement at each store, but he didn't have anything for that one either.

Anyways, I just got a hold of an email of "someone important", so Im about to fire off an email on why they lost a customer. I will then return Semi-Pro and have my account cancelled, and start renting from Family Video across the street (they do a lot of resurfacing for me for cheap, so I should start tossing some bucks their way). Since I live at a new address, I imagine if I got my license updated in the future I could remake a new account, but Im not terribly worried about it.

Dave[/quote]

Hold up there. What we're doing is most definitely not what Blockbuster and Gamestop intended to use their trade-in system for. Please stop throwing rocks at the beehive because you might lose the honey for everyone. Now, I'm not saying that you're going to blow this thing wide open (and Blockbuster really needs to hire someone to stay on top of these loopholes), but the whole point is to stay out of the spotlight.

I have to agree with edavis. Moderation is key. Sure it's great to quadruple your investment and to build credit, but when you start doing things like trading in 8 copies of one game at 4 blockbusters you know that you're running the risk of getting banned. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for trying, but you had to realize this could happen.

[quote name='joeybc86']Hey, I never had a gamecube and I got a Wii about a year and a half ago, and I've been really wanting to play pikmin and pikmin 2. I got pikmin about 6 months ago at gamestop for $9.99 and have been looking all over the place for pikmin 2 for about well...6 months. I wasn't willing to pay $50-$70 on ebay or $40 at gamestop and I wasn't looking to make a buck, just looking for a great/rare game, and became happy as hell I found it for $14 and thought I should share with everyone in the forum who may be looking for pikmin 2 or great/rare games! :)[/quote]

Thanks for mentioning this. I have copy of Pikmin 2 that I've been sitting on since the great TRU clearance of 2005. Time to throw that baby in the Wii and then put it on Ebay. I had no idea it was rare and probably would have traded it into BB eventually.

[quote name='MightySlacker']

Dave[/quote]

1) They're honestly not going to care. At best, you'll get a coupon for a free movie rental, but you'll still be banned. At worst, he'll agree with the DM and set-up a corporate block on your account to prevent you from trading at ANY BBV. And no, they don't "close" accounts since they want all your old history available to them if you decide to come back again. So all they will do is put a hold on your account that says "do not rent unless Mighty Slacker is present with ID, no exceptions."

2) As for making a new account, it's linked to your ID#. So even if you move, wait 5 years, and change your name, it'll still bring up your old account when you try to sign up for a new one unless you've moved out of state (different state = different ID#).

[quote name='allen9917']I got the $2 refurb fee the other day without mentioning a word. I made them reverse the whole trade-in and got my games back. Not that I care about the $2 that much, but I just hate those sneaking things.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if an applied refurb fee would disqualify a game from the "extra $10" deal if it knocks the trade-in value to < $1.

Another one bites the dust.

BTW, Stranglehold TIV as of today: $33

[quote name='MightySlacker']Finally got around to talking to a DM after 3 weeks of fucking pestering people, and unfortunately it looks like Im still going to be banned. He clung onto the phrase "We reserve the right to limit trades" like it was the fucking cure for cancer. He did not seem to think my alternatives of limiting trades, such as oh, I don't know, TELLING THE fuckING CUSTOMER, or say updating the trade agreement, hiring competent employees or fixing your broken computer system might help. He also very briefly mentioned that "since one day I traded in multiple copies of a same game (probably beowulf) to multiple stores, that violated the 2 per title per trade account", but after I asked if every store was one trade account, why they cant see each other in the fucking computer, and why I have to sign a new trade agreement at each store, but he didn't have anything for that one either.

Dave[/quote]

Dave[/quote]

Yeah this has bad idea written all over it... :cry:

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Yeah this has bad idea written all over it... :cry:[/QUOTE]

Not really. I'm not going to send a profanity laced email along the lines of "ACCORDING TO ALL THE GUYS AT CHEAPASSGAMER.COM I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FLIP 20 COPIES OF THE SAME GAME FOR THREE TIMES WHAT I PAID". That'd be silly.

While I'm not terribly happy about not being able to trade items anymore, I certainly am not angry or foaming at the mouth, as I knew this was always a possibility. What I am going to complain about really, is the way it was handled. I don't think it should have taken 3 weeks and 5 phone calls to finally get someone to give me the time of day. I don't think clueless store managers should accuse customers of being criminals, as was done to me when one tried to tell me that trading in 2 copies of the same game was against the law. I completely agree that Blockbuster has the right to limit the amount of trades at any time without prior notice, but I will completely disagree that banning someone who hasn't broken a single term or condition of the trade agreement is the way to do that. Giving me a simple phone call, a new trade agreement to sign, having an employee refuse the trade-in at the time it was offered, or making a note on the computer (which a store in the district does do, so it IS possible despite what they say) would all be better solutions IMO. To have a smarmy DM call and repeat the same tired line over and over, be totally non-responsive to any of the arguments I was making, and then when I propose some solutions to the problem, he refuses to listen or change anything, and not provide a reason why is unacceptable.

And I'm not going to continue to spend my money on rentals or used DVDs in light of this. So I feel they should have a chance to hear why they lost a customer of over 10 years (probably close to 20 if you count the NES games I used to rent back in the day), and if they don't care, they don't care. But its certainly not going to "upset the apple cart" of everything everyone else is doing. That idea seems silly to me, as in the last 2 years Ive seen GameRush turn from a potential 2nd tier game store like Gamecrazy, to nothing more than an extra counter in some Blockbuster stores with a slightly expanded inventory, so it's pretty easy to see where this is going. If you think my complaint is going to be the straw that broke the camels back, I think you are mistaken.

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']Not really. I'm not going to send a profanity laced email along the lines of "ACCORDING TO ALL THE GUYS AT CHEAPASSGAMER.COM I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FLIP 20 COPIES OF THE SAME GAME FOR THREE TIMES WHAT I PAID". That'd be silly.

While I'm not terribly happy about not being able to trade items anymore, I certainly am not angry or foaming at the mouth, as I knew this was always a possibility. What I am going to complain about really, is the way it was handled. I don't think it should have taken 3 weeks and 5 phone calls to finally get someone to give me the time of day. I don't think clueless store managers should accuse customers of being criminals, as was done to me when one tried to tell me that trading in 2 copies of the same game was against the law. I completely agree that Blockbuster has the right to limit the amount of trades at any time without prior notice, but I will completely disagree that banning someone who hasn't broken a single term or condition of the trade agreement is the way to do that. Giving me a simple phone call, a new trade agreement to sign, having an employee refuse the trade-in at the time it was offered, or making a note on the computer (which a store in the district does do, so it IS possible despite what they say) would all be better solutions IMO. To have a smarmy DM call and repeat the same tired line over and over, be totally non-responsive to any of the arguments I was making, and then when I propose some solutions to the problem, he refuses to listen or change anything, and not provide a reason why is unacceptable.

And I'm not going to continue to spend my money on rentals or used DVDs in light of this. So I feel they should have a chance to hear why they lost a customer of over 10 years (probably close to 20 if you count the NES games I used to rent back in the day), and if they don't care, they don't care. But its certainly not going to "upset the apple cart" of everything everyone else is doing. That idea seems silly to me, as in the last 2 years Ive seen GameRush turn from a potential 2nd tier game store like Gamecrazy, to nothing more than an extra counter in some Blockbuster stores with a slightly expanded inventory, so it's pretty easy to see where this is going. If you think my complaint is going to be the straw that broke the camels back, I think you are mistaken.

Dave[/quote]

As I mentioned earlier, it's probably not going to make a difference, but the point stands;

You're buying and trading games with the sole intent to profit. You're at a clear advantage here. Blockbuster being a private business, like the casinos in Las Vegas, discourage customers from gaining an advantage. Since they're a private business, they can do whatever they want.

I understand that you're unhappy with the way it was handled, but they could have been giving you the hint that you're simply no longer welcome.

[quote name='Warner1281']2) As for making a new account, it's linked to your ID#. So even if you move, wait 5 years, and change your name, it'll still bring up your old account when you try to sign up for a new one unless you've moved out of state (different state = different ID#).[/quote]

What happens if you've been using a Texas ID in Oregon, does that mean I have free out of jail card?

[quote name='MightySlacker']What I am going to complain about really, is the way it was handled. I don't think it should have taken 3 weeks and 5 phone calls to finally get someone to give me the time of day. I don't think clueless store managers should accuse customers of being criminals, as was done to me when one tried to tell me that trading in 2 copies of the same game was against the law. I completely agree that Blockbuster has the right to limit the amount of trades at any time without prior notice, but I will completely disagree that banning someone who hasn't broken a single term or condition of the trade agreement is the way to do that. Giving me a simple phone call, a new trade agreement to sign, having an employee refuse the trade-in at the time it was offered, or making a note on the computer (which a store in the district does do, so it IS possible despite what they say) would all be better solutions IMO.[/QUOTE]

I'm on your side with this one MS. It is ridiculous that they ban people for doing nothing but following their own rules. If they want to change the rules (as per the trade agreement) then that is fine, but let the customer know, and let them operate under the revised and more restricted rules. I would have no problem with that if they were up front about it. My situation was very similar except that I never did get to speak to the DM - I just got the run around for several weeks. Finally I gave up and then 4 months later I decided to try a trade and the "hold" was gone. Either it just expired or they actually did take care of it eventually (without telling me of course).

So I really have no problem with you escalating this to corporate - I think someone there should address the issue of what is and what isn't acceptible so that it can be applied consistently. I mean, we all know we have people here who can trade in 10-30 copies of one game, yet others who get in trouble for 2 or 3.

As much hate as there is for Gamestop at CAG, you would never see crap like that going on there. I don't ever go in there fearing that taking advantage of their trade-in prices and promos would get me banned. The way BB handles it half-assed at the store and DM level is just ridiculous.

[quote name='io']
So I really have no problem with you escalating this to corporate - I think someone there should address the issue of what is and what isn't acceptible so that it can be applied consistently. I mean, we all know we have people here who can trade in 10-30 copies of one game, yet others who get in trouble for 2 or 3.
[/quote]

Kunai?

I only trade 9 copies of one game.

[quote name='MightySlacker']Not really. I'm not going to send a profanity laced email along the lines of "ACCORDING TO ALL THE GUYS AT CHEAPASSGAMER.COM I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FLIP 20 COPIES OF THE SAME GAME FOR THREE TIMES WHAT I PAID". That'd be silly.

Dave[/quote]
How many games did you end up trading in before you got banned? How much a piece? What games? How much did you make profit? I'm a little curious...!

[quote name='ets']What happens if you've been using a Texas ID in Oregon, does that mean I have free out of jail card?[/quote]

If you've got a Oregon ID, then yes. Unless the person signing you up for the new account recognizes you and calls you out on it.

Getting back on topic (a little), I just got Lego Indiana Jones (via playswitch) and it is fantastic! But I think I want the wii version instead.

Anyone know the TIV of Indy 360? Or anyone want ot trade me straight up?

[quote name='joeybc86']How many games did you end up trading in before you got banned? How much a piece? What games? How much did you make profit? I'm a little curious...![/QUOTE]

Well, Ive been trading games for years (ive been around long enough to remember the Max Payne 2 flip), but Ive only been in this area a couple of years.

I've never traded in more than 4 of the same game per day (2 copies at two different stores per day), and never got to double digits on the same game (I think my high was 9 of beowulf scattered over 6 stores).

Since there are a few NE Ohio CAGers that Ive run across at stores, the 5 stores I normally frequent are Kent (non-GR), Stow (GR), Cuyahoga (GR), Chapel Hill (non-GR) and Macedonia (GR). Ive also traded in stuff at Fairlawn (non-GR), Tallmadge (non-GR) and Mayfield Heights (non-GR), but not regularly. Heads up, don't trade doubles :)

As far as what games I traded, I probably started in this area back with the Kuon and Echo Night Beyond flips, and have traded in a variety of games for various systems. I remember doing particularly well with the 2005 TRU clearance (anyone remember Virtua Quest?) and the recent Target stuff.

What apparently caught me was back in March, I flipped 2 copies of F1 Racing PS3 ($15 -->$30) at the same store. And it wasn't the fact I traded in two that set off an alert, it was the fact that I did it on a Saturday and the next day it dropped down to $20 new or something, and an employee noticed. For some reason though, I was able to trade up until a few weeks ago, as I spread out quite a few March Madness 08.

As far as profit, I've done quite well at BB/GR, picking up quite a few systems (Christmas a few years ago for the younger siblings were Mario Party 7 GC bundles and Nintendogs Teal and Pink DSes), a bunch of GBA's when they were clearanced out, quite a few DS lites and I was able to fully accessorize my Wii on the cheap. Also, I used to buy boatloads of new games back when they had good 50-75% off clearances of new stuff.

Though Id have to say between rentals and used DVD/Game purchases, I get close to spending 100 bucks a month OOP and not with credit at the store. Probably won't count for anything, but we will see what happens

Dave

[quote name='confoosious']Does Blockbuster ever have coupons?[/quote]
yesh! i've seen some free rentals and cheap rentals.

I'm looking to pick up Indy for the Wii but hoping to get it around $40. I don't even know why i'm being cheap on this as i got plenty of credit at both stores.

[quote name='Warner1281']1) They're honestly not going to care. At best, you'll get a coupon for a free movie rental, but you'll still be banned. At worst, he'll agree with the DM and set-up a corporate block on your account to prevent you from trading at ANY BBV. And no, they don't "close" accounts since they want all your old history available to them if you decide to come back again. So all they will do is put a hold on your account that says "do not rent unless Mighty Slacker is present with ID, no exceptions."

2) As for making a new account, it's linked to your ID#. So even if you move, wait 5 years, and change your name, it'll still bring up your old account when you try to sign up for a new one unless you've moved out of state (different state = different ID#).[/quote]

I thought that after 6 months of inactivity the account drops of the local system. I seem to recall reading that before in this thread. So theoretically any note placed on an account would erase itself when the account is dropped from the stores records.

[quote name='MightySlacker']I remember doing particularly well with the 2005 TRU clearance (anyone remember Virtua Quest?).[/quote]

Oh yeah, that was one of the big ones. Seriously good times.

[quote name='stoned99']I thought that after 6 months of inactivity the account drops of the local system. I seem to recall reading that before in this thread. So theoretically any note placed on an account would erase itself when the account is dropped from the stores records.[/quote]

Any notes placed by corporate will show at all stores. If your account falls out of the local system (6 months of inactivity), when they redownload you, you'll have no notes on your account except any holds by corporate. So if corporate puts a hold on it, it'll still be there. If the store employee put the comment on there, it'll be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back