The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='Segasonic01']Pikmin-$10
Chromehounds-free
Firefighter FD18-$10
Prey-free

Prey & Chromehounds are gonna be traded back later for $12, making Pikmin & Firefighter only $9 after tax :D[/quote]

who in their sane mind would give you 12 for chrome/prey?

[quote name='monkeydeew']who in their sane mind would give you 12 for chrome/prey?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he meant trade to BB for $6 each. Somebody a few pages back said something about how all the $9.99 games have $6 trade-in values. Don't know if anybody has verified that though.

If nothing else, you could always wait for a $10 bonus at Gamestop when trading in two current-gen games (assuming their values don't fall below the exclusion limit by then). Of course, that would also probably end up being about $6 per game (maybe $7 or $8).

[quote name='mkernan']Pretty sure he meant trade to BB for $6 each. Somebody a few pages back said something about how all the $9.99 games have $6 trade-in values. Don't know if anybody has verified that though.
[/quote]
Yes, thats what I meant. They get $6 each at BB/GR

[quote name='yesokyesok']Can anyone post there most recent TIV's. I'm making an excel spreadsheet so hopefully the community can keep it updated.[/quote]

Why would you duplicate the wiki ?

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']i think they all do.[/quote]

That would be incorrect. I tried to trade in Madden 08 with no case/manual and was denied.

[quote name='ewto16']That would be incorrect. I tried to trade in Madden 08 with no case/manual and was denied.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's no corporate policy against it, so its a YMMV, store and clerk/manager-specific kinda thing. In other words.... the smart employees know that the generic-cased games with no cover don't sell well and therefore won't take them in that way.

What many CAGs have done (myself included) is download a scan of the cover from the cover project or other similar website and print it out. If you have a decent color printer, shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: cover project: http://www.thecoverproject.net/

[quote name='mkernan']Pretty sure he meant trade to BB for $6 each. Somebody a few pages back said something about how all the $9.99 games have $6 trade-in values. Don't know if anybody has verified that though.

If nothing else, you could always wait for a $10 bonus at Gamestop when trading in two current-gen games (assuming their values don't fall below the exclusion limit by then). Of course, that would also probably end up being about $6 per game (maybe $7 or $8).[/quote]

I traded in some Prey and other janky games I had extras of from the BOGO for 50% of their selling price + $1 + tax to put towards my PS3.

If anyone picked up games they don't want, don't forget to try out Gamecrazy for a trade-in as well. I just got $7.70 for Top Spin 2 there yesterday. Regular trade-in is $7 ($1 better than BB/GR) and then the additional 70 cents for MVP. I'm not sure if anything else is like that but it's worth a shot. If only I had access to a better selection than my local Blockbusters had (like, for example, a GR store ;)).

I had intended to keep a copy of Top Spin 2, but I realized I have yet to play the CC clearance copy of Virtua Tennis 3 I picked up several months ago - so who am I kidding, I'll never play it. (And from what I can tell Virtua Tennis 3 > Top Spin 2). I might as well get some more useful credit out of it.

And if anyone still has a Bee Movie game (seems to be a common flipper from Target to BB) it is actually not a bad little game. I have kids as my excuse to try it out, but I've played it beyond where they've gotten. It doesn't take too long and some of the achievements are challenging as hell. While the main game is easy to complete there's some "hardcore" gaming for those who want it ;). I'm pretty much done with it and would trade it in but my kids would kill me so I guess I'm keeping one of them, anyway.

[quote name='io']...don't forget to try out Gamecrazy for a trade-in as well.[/quote]Also remember that GC will match trade-in values. Was useful when GR was giving $32 for HoV [360]. GC matched their TIV, which was much better than the $6 they were offering otherwise.

[quote name='starman98']Most BB's are cleaned out. Nothing but a bunch of old sports games and lame old Xbox one games.[/QUOTE]

Saw Halo, KOTR1 ($7) and KOTR2 ($10) at my local GR 2 days ago, but since I wasn't interested in last-gen games I've already played (I've barely touched Mass Effect...) picked up Chromehounds and Kameo. Their inventory had barely been touched since the sale began.

Some TIVs:

Madden 06 (360) $6
Avatar The Last Airbender (Wii) $9
Red Steel (Wii) $9
Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (Wii) $13
Spider-Man 3 (Wii) $9

I managed to pick up three copies of Conker Live & Reloaded over the last two days. This after not seeing any copies for the last year and a half :bomb:. I guess I can't complain though since the timing is right on. My only gripe is that none of them are complete (only one has a cover). The only other thing is that I noticed a few Wii games that were marked $14.99, and kept ringing up above that. Of course, the employees adjusted everything, but I thought they were supposed to price the Wii and PS3 games just above $14.99. I'm not complaining though ;).

tiv today, eek i hope no drops tomorrow!
bee movie wii 23
excite truck wii 23 (but the guy said that b/c there were none in stock at that store he wouldnt buy it back)

I don't know if all stores are getting them this week, but my store recieved a memo about getting 2 Wii's on our truck on wednesday. So I'd assume so other Blockbusters might be getting some as well.

Stop trading in multiple copies of the same game to the Ventura/Topanga store. If I get rejected trying to trade in a single copy of a game I actually played I will take action to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Didn't have time to go to a GameStop, so I just traded my own copy of MUA/Forza with printed covers to picks up Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Raiden III, both mint and complete, with $13 left to spare.

[quote name='jkanownik']Stop trading in multiple copies of the same game to the Ventura/Topanga store. If I get rejected trying to trade in a single copy of a game I actually played I will take action to make sure it doesn't happen again.[/quote]

Good luck with that, it's everyone for themselves in the BB/GR Oceans. Some people keep a low profile, some others; not so much. Don't forget you can trade at any BB if you're refused at 1 store. And the GameCrazy price match option is a good one as they have a much wider selection.

Which game are you talking about ?

[quote name='jkanownik']Stop trading in multiple copies of the same game to the Ventura/Topanga store. If I get rejected trying to trade in a single copy of a game I actually played I will take action to make sure it doesn't happen again.[/quote]

Bwahaha! April Fools!

Some trade in values to report for today:
NFS Carbon (PS3) $23 :hot:(this one wowed me)
Pirates of the Carrbbbean At Worlds End(PSP) $10
Madden 08(PSP) $12.50

[quote name='jkanownik']Stop trading in multiple copies of the same game to the Ventura/Topanga store. If I get rejected trying to trade in a single copy of a game I actually played I will take action to make sure it doesn't happen again.[/QUOTE]

Whatever. Message board threats are empty. What can you do? Call the manager? They could care less about you and your measly trades.

Trade-in quote from today:

Def Jam Icon (PS3): $13

p.s. - the B1G1 should be removed from the thread title now that its over.... unless it didn't actually end.

[quote name='unforeseen'] Call the manager? They could care less about you and your measly trades.[/quote]

I think you mean couldn't care less :)

But, really... shouldn't trade in more than one copy per store, otherwise you'll get flagged :/

that's pretty funny. i think i got banned too, but i stopped trading in after a while. i loved it when they first opened up, with the trade 2, get a game for $4.99, i think or trade 3, get a game for $9.99. i abused the hell out of that deal. i was still living at home, and there were 2 gamerushes and 2 or 3 gamestops/eb games around me. that's how i've gotten most of the rpgs on my tl and all the ps2/xbox cases/manuals. put a lot of time and effort into it, but it paid off, and is still paying off. i'm pretty sure i got more than $800 of credit.

This recent wave of B2G1F, trade the Free item back in is going to lead to tears for a few people. That IMHO is the epitomy of Flipping... No one has actually reported being banned in quite some time. I think the last one of note was IO.

p.s Thanks to whomever in this thread mentioned Avatar being easy points, they were not kidding, but I think it takes about 120 presses of B :)

[quote name='stoned99']This recent wave of B2G1F, trade the Free item back in is going to lead to tears for a few people. That IMHO is the epitomy of Flipping... No one has actually reported being banned in quite some time. I think the last one of note was IO.

p.s Thanks to whomever in this thread mentioned Avatar being easy points, they were not kidding, but I think it takes about 120 presses of B :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, taking advantage of sale/trade-in promos to flip from GR-to-GR is always risky. But just to be clear I didn't get "in trouble" for that. I simply traded 1 copy of a game (that I bought at Gamestop and Best Buy) to a few different stores. That was a tough one to avoid and it was probably just my chatty nature with one particular clerk that caused all the trouble. Teaches me to be friendly again when trading in games - just slap them on the counter, hand 'em your card, and be on your way! And there have been others since me, unless you don't consider them "of note" ;).

And, yes, I couldn't resist the Avatar points what with a copy of the game sitting here ready to go to Gamecrazy for the trade-in price match! My boys got their points too ;).

[quote name='dyeknom']I think you mean couldn't care less :)

But, really... shouldn't trade in more than one copy per store, otherwise you'll get flagged :/[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected.

Thanks.

So I popped in EDF (a staple of the B1G1 free deal) and my boys are having an absolute blast playing it coop. It was definitely worth the $2.30 in credit it cost me (after trading Top Spin 2 back to Gamecrazy for $7.70).

does anybody know the TIV for Driver Parallel Lines for the Wii. It did not come up when I used the search function

[quote name='io']So I popped in EDF (a staple of the B1G1 free deal) and my boys are having an absolute blast playing it coop. It was definitely worth the $2.30 in credit it cost me (after trading Top Spin 2 back to Gamecrazy for $7.70).[/quote]I picked up both copies that were at my GR, not knowing anything other than it went for $15 on Amazon, but now I've decided to keep one for myself and give the other as a gift. Awesome B-rate game.

Here's a couple TIVs from today in case anyone's interested:

360 Halo 3 Collector's edition - $25
360 Import Tuner Challenge - $19

PS3 Full Auto 2 - $16
PS3 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - $16

Hopefully CheapyD will fix the wiki sometime. At least BB dosen't seem to update their TIVs all that often.

If you guys want to make up a list of the most common requested trade in values you want to know, I will look up a bunch at work sometime and post them here. I'm not doing every 360 game in system, but like 10-15 games a week I will do. And before you request them, nearly every Xbox game is $1.25 or $1.50 trade in credit now.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']So, is the BOGO officially over? I had asked around on Monday and most stores said they had no idea when it was ending.[/QUOTE]
I stopped by yesterday and it was nowhere to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back