The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Bleh, all the Target clearance games listed above were $30 each at the stores here.

The Blockbuster I went to was giving away the GTA 4 picture things for free. I asked and as far as they knew, they should be getting in the MGS4 PS3's. They also said they should be getting some bonuses for people who pre-order MGS4, though they didnt know what just yet.

my GameRush is taking pre-orders for MGS4 but no limited edition :( oh well, im thinkin of pre-ordering it anyway cuz im sure it'll be a damn hard game to get once it comes out

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Not sure I follow your math there. Unless, you were using the $5 off $25 purchase coupon on a EACH $12.48 game?
[/QUOTE]

Yes I used a $5 off coupon on each purchase. I have a family of four so I just load up on nonperishable items (shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, laundry deterg, etc.)

[quote name='bornrunnin31']
And I'm not sure how a game that costs $2.50 less and gets $3 less in trade in is a better deal.[/QUOTE]

Well lets do the math.
12.48 --> 30 = a ratio of 2.4, or every dollar you spend is worth $2.40 BB credit
14.98 --> 33 = a ratio of 2.2, or every dollar you spend is worth $2.20 BB credit
(I said SLIGHTLY better)

Think of it like this. If you wanted to get to a BB credit of $330 dollars you would need 11 copies of the $12.48 game which would be $137.28, while you would need 10 copies of the $14.98 game which would be $149.80.

Math.....You Gotta Luv It !!!

[quote name='io']Where the hell have you been the last 2 years? I am *ALWAYS* on this time of night. It's early for me, actually. Yeah, I checked out that thread. VERY VERY YMMV on using a scanned card type coupon from Target - especially with that quality of scan. What sucks is that I got a Target kids catalog book in the mail the same day as the OP of that thread but it didn't have no damn coupon.

I guess I'll stick with the 90% reliable $5 off $25 coupon (the 10% being those cashiers who insist games are Electronics and won't scan the coupon). I try to stay away from the older women now as it has been one of them every time it hasn't worked. Strange, as you'd think they'd be the demographic most likely to view video games as children's toys. WEIRD! ;)[/quote]

I have the most success actually having the electronics staff do the sale for me, used three just yesterday. Had the clerk split the order into 3, he didn't even blink. My problem is remembering to have a steady supply of the coupons on me :)

some updates for everyone:

PS3:
------------------
The Darkness - $9
Splinter Cell DA - $16
NBA 07 - $9

-------------------
DOAX2 - $8

[quote name='arthurRWD']some updates for everyone:

PS3:
The Darkness - $9
[/quote]

Wonder how much this is used... probably around $19.99. Wouldn't mind picking it back up at that price.

[quote name='daminion']Wonder how much this is used... probably around $19.99. Wouldn't mind picking it back up at that price.[/QUOTE]

$17.99/19.99 used/new @ GS, both platforms.

[quote name='sasukekun']$17.99/19.99 used/new @ GS, both platforms.[/quote]

Yea but I want to use some of my BB credit :) $19.99 at BB is like $8 to me.

[quote name='daminion']Yea but I want to use some of my BB credit :) $19.99 at BB is like $8 to me.[/quote]

It is also $19.99 on Amazon right now I believe

:wave:
Someone directed me to this thread, and I have a question.
I don't have any GR near me, but I do BB. Do they sell DS Lites now? I have a ton of DVDs I'd like to trade in for a DS Lite.
+ how are their trade in values?

[quote name='lilboo']:wave:
I don't have any GR near me, but I do BB. Do they sell DS Lites now? I have a ton of DVDs I'd like to trade in for a DS Lite.
+ how are their trade in values?[/QUOTE]

Some of them do, some dont. Should try calling your local BB and ask. Last time I checked they were sold out in my area.

Do BB's take DS Lites AS trade ins?
Looking to get rid of my old DS Lite + DVDs for a new one.
What would be the best place? BB or FYE? Or somewhere else?

[quote name='lilboo']Do BB's take DS Lites AS trade ins?
Looking to get rid of my old DS Lite + DVDs for a new one.
What would be the best place? BB or FYE? Or somewhere else?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they dont take DVD's as trade ins, but i think they will take in the DS lite.

[quote name='edostar44']I'm pretty sure they dont take DVD's as trade ins, but i think they will take in the DS lite.[/QUOTE]

Wait, who doesn't take DVDs/would take the DS lite?

Finally my GR is getting with the program! They finally started carrying Bluray movies and setup a section (although a very small one) to rent them. They also started advertising those $499 40 GB PS3 bundles.

Too bad you don't live around here Liboo, the store closest to me has a glass case jam packed with DS Lites.

I picked up a cobalt/onyx DS Lite the other day at a standalone Blockbuster. They also had the red, pink, and white versions.

[quote name='soonerdoc']PS3 NCAA 2008 March Madness TIV is $30. I am positive of this because I traded in 3 copies on Monday and when the TIV held on Tuesday I picked up 3 more to trade in. Only 12.48 at Target and this gives you a slightly better trade ratio than NBA 08's 14.98 to 33.

Even better if you use the $5 off coupon like I did. Got six copies for 7.48 each for about $48 total including tax and traded in for $180 BB credit. Nearly a 4 to 1 ratio.....

traded in some other target clearance games including nba 08 and virtua tennis....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip on March madness, doc, I'll definitely go back for a couple of those. How much does Virtua Tennis 3 get btw? I think I saw it for $13.98 (PS3) at Target.

Edit - also saw PS3 Tony Hawk proving ground for $12.48, anyone know the TIV for that? (I see that Project 8 gets $22 as of a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing it will trade in for more than that at BB)

[quote name='lilboo']Wait, who doesn't take DVDs/would take the DS lite?[/QUOTE]

These people are confusing you lilboo.

A regular (non-GR) Blockbuster store will NOT take a DS Lite as a trade-in. They used to take DVD's, but haven't tried trading one in like 3 years, so I don't know about that. Also, it is very unlikely your local Blockbuster will carry DS Lites either. Very few non-GR stores do. That can always change, of course, as most now carry Xboxs and Wiis which they didn't do just 3-4 weeks ago. I certainly hope they do if/when any new model comes out. (Edit - Just read JJSP's post - hopefully this means more stores will carry DS Lites - in any case, check your local store out first. But one thing I know for sure, you can't trade your old one there as regular stores are not set up to handle used hardware).

More recap (though you ought to read my OP again ;)):

Blocbuster has pretty much the best trade-in prices across the board, with the occasional exception of course (their PSP game trade-in prices seem abnormally low for example). This is the only reason any of us deal with them. You can also take a Blockbuster trade quote to most Gamecrazy stores and have them price match the trade-in. Of course, at Gamecrazy you can get whatever you like (DS Lite, etc). So that is why I go that route whenever possible (but I try not to abuse it as I have a good thing going with my local Gamecrazy).

In general terms, the way trade-in values work is Blockbuster > Gamecrazy >>> EB/GS. I don't know where FYE fits in as every time I've tried to take something CAG's said got a huge value there they always tell me it trades for 1 cent, or they don't take it, or they don't take any games any more, or the guy who does trades isn't around - it was always some excuse. I gave up on them like 2 years ago :lol:.

[quote name='io']In general terms, the way trade-in values work is Blockbuster > Gamecrazy >>> EB/GS. I don't know where FYE fits in as every time I've tried to take something CAG's said got a huge value there they always tell me it trades for 1 cent, or they don't take it, or they don't take any games any more, or the guy who does trades isn't around - it was always some excuse. I gave up on them like 2 years ago :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, FYE is a mere shadow of what they once were. They went from having consistently decent TIVs, to having consistently crappy ones (with the occasional exception). I used to go there all the time, but lately it's maybe once every month or so, unless they're running one of their `+20% trade-in bonus' deals.

That said, if anyone has a PS3 Orange Box that they didn't dump at BB on Monday, FYE is currently giving $26.50 cash or ~$33 credit for it. It's only 10% more than BB, but it's another option for matching at Gamecrazy. =)

This was like 2 or 3 weeks ago but I'm sure prices are probably the same. I purchased MLB Power Pro for $13.99 used and Baiten Kaitos Origins for GC about the same. Everywhere else it was still quite high for used. But surprised to see it that low at Gamerush.

I need to go back there for "R-Type Final"... Biggest Gamerush mistakes was to not pick up the PS2 Fatal Frames when they had them for so cheap used. Space shooters with the exception of Gradius are not as easy to come by these days.

[quote name='djkunai']:360:
College Hoops 2k8 - $15
NL 2k8 - $15

Both $4.98 after coupon at my Targets.[/quote]

NHL 2K8 gets 9 + 4.50 + .90 = 14.40 at Gamestop after 50% coupon.
For those who got VF5 from Gamecrazy for $9 & could not flip at BB, GS gives $16 after 50% bonus.

Both of my GR stores now have :wii: systems in stock. One requires a bundle of 3 games, 1 Remote & 1 Nunchuk. The other store requires you to spend an extra $100 (games or accessories).

My main store finally got DS3 controllers in. Oddly enough they also got a whole bunch of DS2 controllers in as well, at a nice price of $9.99.

And a lot of pink :ds: systems came in too.

[quote name='stoned99']Man I love the GC / GR pricematch. I price matched 2 PS3 Orange Box's for 30$ each, first time I had attempted multiple copies of the same game. I always preorder stuff when I'm there as it helps them earn bonuses.[/quote]

Whats the procedure?

I have a copy of "xxxx", can you price match the trade in value of blockbuster? You wait a little bit as they call, and then you get store credit? I might have to try that...

[quote name='judgeTurpin']:ps3:
NCAA march madness 08 $30[/quote]

^I was at Target on Monday holding several copies of this game. I called BB to get TIV and was quoted $16. WTF? Did the TIV go up on Tuesday? Needless to say, I left said copies on the shelf.

[quote name='emg28']^I was at Target on Monday holding several copies of this game. I called BB to get TIV and was quoted $16. WTF? Did the TIV go up on Tuesday? Needless to say, I left said copies on the shelf.[/quote]

i traded in a few copies at different BB and all of them gave me $30 dollars for it...i believe the $16 TIV is for college hoops 2k8..

[quote name='whymustiregister']Both of my GR stores now have :wii: systems in stock. One requires a bundle of 3 games, 1 Remote & 1 Nunchuk. The other store requires you to spend an extra $100 (games or accessories).
[/quote]

You can always ask if they'll sell you the console by itself. Most likely they'd rather get the $250 right away than have to wait for someone to drop $350-500.

[quote name='h2dk']does anybody know if pgr4 held at $15?[/QUOTE]

Yes, PGR4 held at $15. Traded in my $4.98 Target copy (w/$10 coupon) in yesterday.

[quote name='lilboo']:wave:
+ how are their trade in values?[/quote]

Trade in values for DVDs SUCK!! I tried to trade in some new Blu-Ray movies that I had and the guy at the counter actually laughed. He said that I was wasting my time, but if I really wanted to trade them, I could. He admitted that their trade on movies sucks.

Got offered like $2 a Blu-Ray.

[quote name='awp']Yes, PGR4 held at $15. Traded in my $4.98 Target copy (w/$10 coupon) in yesterday.[/quote]

Thanks, one of my stores has a dozen or so copies of it and nothing else

Do Nintendo DS games trade in well? I'm willing to do the trades (so long as I get near a 2x return) even if it means I'm something like $10 -> $18 in credit.

[quote name='CaptPete']Yeah, FYE is a mere shadow of what they once were. They went from having consistently decent TIVs, to having consistently crappy ones (with the occasional exception). I used to go there all the time, but lately it's maybe once every month or so, unless they're running one of their `+20% trade-in bonus' deals.

That said, if anyone has a PS3 Orange Box that they didn't dump at BB on Monday, FYE is currently giving $26.50 cash or ~$33 credit for it. It's only 10% more than BB, but it's another option for matching at Gamecrazy. =)[/quote]

I would like to offer you a virtual hug, for that Orange box gem, with my FYE card that netted me 36.30, which I then used to buy a 30$ gift card which came with a 5$ bonus (Cant use until next month), bumping me to 41$, which I then used to buy a bunch of used cd's, used an instore coupon to get 40% off any 1 CD, picked up Killers - Sams Town for 5$ (Instore coupon), and bought another 2 cd's, leaving me 15$ + 5 future coupon.

On an initial 10$ purchase (after 5$ target toy coupon)...

Target also gave me a 5$ of 25$ clothes purchase, which I immediately used to buy a pair of pants and a bunch of teeshirts on clearance, all 75% off, picked up a killer Halo 3 shirt, retro Spiderman, Family Guy - Peanut Butter and Jelly shirt.

I was the family hero.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Do Nintendo DS games trade in well? I'm willing to do the trades (so long as I get near a 2x return) even if it means I'm something like $10 -> $18 in credit.[/QUOTE]

Seems like most DS and PSP games have bad trade in values, like $10-16 for a new game like FFCC Rings of Fate or Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword.

So I went a bit overboard trying to trade in AC during the b2g1 sale last week and got myself banned.

I was thinking to get my brother to open an account and use that to trade a much lower volume of games.

Any advice to somehow get flipping again?

[quote name='jraypeon']So I went a bit overboard trying to trade in AC during the b2g1 sale last week and got myself banned.

I was thinking to get my brother to open an account and use that to trade a much lower volume of games.

Any advice to somehow get flipping again?[/QUOTE]

Another one bites the dust.

The key to continual success is moderation...young grasshopper.

[quote name='jraypeon']So I went a bit overboard trying to trade in AC during the b2g1 sale last week and got myself banned.

Any advice to somehow get flipping again?[/QUOTE]

Oh dear, how did the say you were banned? I am worried about getting banned because one of the GR I go to loves me, the others... not so much.

[quote name='unforeseen']Another one bites the dust.

The key to continual success is moderation...young grasshopper.[/quote]

That sounds good. I'm gonna go make a grasshopper.

[quote name='ets']How do I find a GameRush? Are there any in Oregon? I guess I'm spoiled from KC.[/quote]

Welcome to the gamerush black hole...

There was one in Wilsonville up until a year ago or so...then a few of us put them out of business;) (actually you can blame piss poor management for that)

Blockbuster seems to be getting better and better with the new releases, pre-orders and systems/accessories. I think Southern Cali is the closest one.

Oh, and forget Gamecrazy in the Salem/Keizer area, they are the original franchise stores and are not related to the corporate stores at all.

Naruto held at $22.... $5 into $22 nice

[quote name='unforeseen']Another one bites the dust.

The key to continual success is moderation...young grasshopper.[/QUOTE]

No truer words were spoken. If you abuse it then it will bite you in the ass. Moderation and patience are key to trading in at BB/GR (unless of course you are Kunai). He is a special special case indeed.

Story time. This is from the los angeles county.

I tried buying wii's today and I got denied completely by one manager because of gift cards. I was able to talk to another manager from another store and I was told nicely that i couldnt buy it with gift cards. I talked to him about it and he said that the whole district got a memo saying that they shouldnt sell game consoles with gift cards because of recent fraud of stolen gift cards. They still can sell them, but it is a judgement call which is up to the manager. He checked out my account and said i was legit and sold me one. He even said that it would be ok for me to come back and buy more consoles. Thanks man.

He said that the whole fraud thing was geared towards random people who dont have accounts trying to buy big items because if the cards are reported stolen, the store has to eat the lost. I hope none of my fellow CAGers run into trouble.

I was also able to buy another wii from a clueless worker.

[quote name='asthmatic']Story time. This is from the los angeles county.

I tried buying wii's today and I got denied completely by one manager because of gift cards. I was able to talk to another manager from another store and I was told nicely that i couldnt buy it with gift cards. I talked to him about it and he said that the whole district got a memo saying that they shouldnt sell game consoles with gift cards because of recent fraud of stolen gift cards. They still can sell them, but it is a judgement call which is up to the manager. He checked out my account and said i was legit and sold me one. He even said that it would be ok for me to come back and buy more consoles. Thanks man.

He said that the whole fraud thing was geared towards random people who dont have accounts trying to buy big items because if the cards are reported stolen, the store has to eat the lost. I hope none of my fellow CAGers run into trouble.

I was also able to buy another wii from a clueless worker.[/quote]

Curious, which store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back