The definitive motion sickness list of problematic games

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I get motion sickness from some but not all fps and many experience the same problems. I've always wished there was a list of problematic games somewhere on the internet, so I could avoid these titles. My hope is that this thread will serve as that list!

So if you experience this problem subscribe to the thread and list the games (w/ platform) that you've had major problems with. Some people get motion sickness from all games so use your best judgment, because it's not my intent to list every fps; just the games that cause the most people problems. Also any tricks or tips for muscling through this problem?

I'll try to maintain a list on the original post, but read through the thread for all suggestions. Please try to stay on topic for ease of navigating the thread.

GC
Timespltters 2
Metroid Prime 2

PC
No One Lives Forever 2
Half Life 1
Half Life 2
Portal
Doom 3

King Kong
Condemned 2
Marathon
Mirror's Edge
Call of Duty 3

PSO
Descent

PS3

Wii

Tips:
-Ginger (root, ale, supplement) is supposed to help alleviate these effects.
-Play in a brightly lit room
-Sit far away from the screen
-Play on a smaller screen
-Play for short periods of time
-Don't play when drowsy or tired
-Adjust control speed
-Try to avoid rapid jerky movements if possible
-Turn off hand or gun movement is available
-Turn on stationary reticules or cursors.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you do something like this when it really varies from person to person. I mean, there are people that can't take the scrolling note charts on Rock Band, you know? I'm not telling you to not try, in fact I hope you succeed, I just don't know how it can be definitive. You know?

Just put down all 1st person shooters. End of list.

I feel bad for you motion sickness peoples. I just finished Mirrors Edge on a 65" sitting 5 feet away with no reticule and didnt experience any motion type sickness. Take one of those pills for it before you start playing and keep a bucket handy.

This isn't something you can make a "definitive list" for. It varies completely from person to person. So, sure, go ahead and make a list of games that make you motion sick, but don't kid yourself into thinking that it's "definitive."

certain games universally cause problems for people who get motion sickness. these are the games I'm trying to get at.

Games with framerate problems, games with bobbing cameras, games that are dimly lit. I'm looking to hear from gamers that have problems with a minority of fps, and only the most problematic games.

Gamers that get sick from rockband aren't going to be able to contribute much to the list, although they could list acceptions. Games that surprisingly didn't give them problems.

there are trends to these problems and that's what I would like to capture.

The only game I can remember making me feel sick was Max Payne. I was stationed in South Korea at Kunsan Air Base. My buddies and I had been drinking for a few hours and after I got back to my room I fired up max payne on my pc and couldnt handle it for more than a few minutes. I think it was more intoxication than motion sickness but it counts, right? fuck it, throw max payne on the list.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Mario Galaxy I guess. Not for me, but I know some people who felt dizzy playing it.[/QUOTE]

Were these people accustomed to playing games? Anyone who's inexperienced at playing games might make the camera do some funny things making any game where you control the camera a possible candidate for the list just like any fps.

Then there are certain games that cause huge problems by design. The framerate isn't good or is at a weird frequency (ie marathon, half life), some games have a bobbing camera (ie king kong, mirrors edge), some games are poorly lit (ie Doom III). There were lots of reports of motion sickness for mirror's edge and marathon. marathon even had a patch. mirror's edge offered the addition of a redicule after people at E3 complained. So there are games that are worst than others. Let's narrow down on those games.

I got sick from the first level of Time Splitters 2 when going up the stairs too quickly. That was the only game I have ever gotten sick on.

[quote name='I ePiDeMiC I']Too much online play on Cod World at War makes me feel sick. High sensitivity I guess :D[/QUOTE]

which platform?

I've never really gotten sick playing a game, though I guess Descent is probably the closest. I remember having to stop that game after a while because it really messed with my sense of direction.

Not a particular entire game, but the Rainbow Road track on Mario Kart 64 I can't even watch others play because it makes me sick/dizzy/headache. And that is the only game ever to do that to me. I am not a motion-sick person at all.

The only time I got motion sick over a video game was watching some GTA San Andreas while nursing the worst hangover of my life.

[quote name='Ronin317']How can you do something like this when it really varies from person to person. I mean, there are people that can't take the scrolling note charts on Rock Band, you know? I'm not telling you to not try, in fact I hope you succeed, I just don't know how it can be definitive. You know?[/QUOTE]

I was just going to list Rock Band. Now, I think it depends entirely on the TV and viewing setup however. Downstairs on our old 52" 1080i set with the 360 I have absolutely no problem with Rock Band. I was very disappointed when I set up our new TV upstairs for our home theater setup (still nowhere near complete but I'm working on it ;)). Some PS3 games are OK on it but Rock Band made me want to hurl. It was terrible. This is a 67" Samsung DLP TV that I just got in Dec pretty cheap from Amazon. It is great for Blu-Ray and I don't really have any problem there but for gaming it is rather iffy. Other games aren't so bad if I'm playing them but if I watch my kids play a game and they are wildly swinging the camera around it gives me a headache.

As a result, I've left my 360 downstairs so I can play without the motion sickness problems. But there are some key factors. First of all, the downstairs TV is an old RPTV so kind of has a built in blurring effect whereas the upstairs TV is fully digital so it shows jerkiness in games much better. Also, of course, the one upstairs is much bigger AND we sit much closer to it. Problem is, I'd have to be beyond the wall to make it more reasonable (and no, we can't really switch them around as there's no room downstairs for the bigger one). But I'm slightly worried that some of it is just the digital vs analog deal and that makes me hesitant to upgrade my downstairs TV even though it now has cracks in the tube. But for now it is actually effecting what I play on the PS3. I have been choosing more relaxed fixed view type games like Hot Shots Golf or even LBP over the more actiony stuff (though I did play all the way through Prince of Persia without too much trouble).

The only game that's motion sickness for me was Perfect Dark. In that first level, going down that elevator was one of the many points where it was just too much.

My sister complained about getting motion sick while playing Metroid Prime 2. She said she was fine with the first Metroid Prime, but for whatever reason MP2 specifically gave her motion sickness. She said she read about other people having similar experiences as well, so take that as you will.

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom was the first game I ever really got it from, and it was only during the last boss. Motion sickness city.

That South Park shooter for the PC made me incredibly sick for some reason. I have no problem with other fps, but I stay far away from that one.

DUDES. my brother suffered from this.

he took ginger root and wore sea sick wristbands.

after a while, he didnt need them anymore.

food for thought....

omg I thought I was the only one. All of my friends make fun of me because I can't handle certain games for too long!

My old roomie get's terrible motion sickness from games. But when he got hooked on Portal, he started to snack on those crystallized ginger/ginger candy. It didn't fully stop him from up-chucking, but he didn't need to empty his hurl-bucket as frequently when gnawing on the candy.

Funny thing, Playing Titan Quest on the PC, a diablo-clone, makes me a bit queasy. But that might be the fact that it doesn't play nice with my graphic settings or something (maybe it's the v-sync or something).

bread's done
Back