The Departed HD-DVD $22.99 at Best Buy

AceHazard

CAGiversary!
Well I was getting ready to print out the Target.com product listing for The Departed to have Best Buy price match their price of $27.95. I decided to check out BestBuy.com to see what the price was there and to my surprise it was listed at $22.99!! This is super cheap for a combo title at BB. Heck its even cheaper than Amazon.com.

Went ahead and ordered one for instore pickup just to make sure I get that price incase it turns out to be a mistake. Hopefully with a price like this more people without a HD-DVD player will pick up the combo and help get those sales up.

edit: Here is the link to the product page http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8203516&type=product&id=1621200

this is a great price on a great movie. i ordered it on amazon for the same price back when there was a $5 discount for some reason. i wish i would've known about this price sooner so i wouldn't have to wait.

Yay. My Best Buy is only getting 3 in and I really didn't want to get up in the morning to rush to get one. Now it'll be held for me untill I go get it. Thanks OP. It's worth the extra dollar I would pay over my employee discount.

Would you guys get this or the regular 2 disc DVD in the steelbook package? They're the same price. Do they have the same extras?

woot! thanks... just asked my wife to go grab a copy on her lunch break... hope they have them in store... if not i'll order one... thanks again

i wonder if they didn't get them in MA yet or if they are already sold out...I tried MA and RI for instore pickup and they didn' t have the available

[quote name='ryanbph']i wonder if they didn't get them in MA yet or if they are already sold out...I tried MA and RI for instore pickup and they didn' t have the available[/QUOTE]

The store I bought mine at didn't have them listed on the in-store pickup option online, but they still had them in stock.

FYI, this is one of those HD-DVD flipper combo discs that has all the HD-DVD content(extras + HD movie) on one side and the movie in standard DVD format on the other.

The HD DVD version carries all the extras that the 2 Disc SE has except for the feature length "Scorsese on Scorsese" TCM documentary. I caught it when it was first aired on TCM a little over two years ago and I thought it was really fascinating but I'm also a huge Scorsese fan, I don't think it'd be nearly as interesting to your average movie fan. It doesn't have anything directly to do with The Departed either so that softens the blow a bit.

I used the Google $10 deal and got it for like $1 cheaper than this with tax. What a waste of a deal I would have bought this and used the $10 off on something else.

Aww, thats too bad learning that the special features aren't on the DVD side of the HD-DVD combo.. oh well I'll just get the special edition.

Great deal on this movie. I personally would go with the DVD collector's edition, but whatever. I actually wanted to comment on the movie itself.

I saw it about 4-5 months ago on the date it hit theaters. It was amazing--the acting, the script, the plot--my mouth was wide open when the credits rolled. Watching it for the second time is SO worth it though. I really caught on to some of the lines I missed on first watching, since many of the characters talk pretty fast (especially Wahlberg's character), and the movie made more sense to me. Jesus...just...everyone please see this. There's a reason it got movie of the year of 2006 from Ebert+Roper.

When I went in to work today, I picked up the last HD-DVD and saw the $22.99 shelf tag. When I rung out with employee discount, it was $29.89, regularly $34.99 (and we normally we get whatever is the lowest price if the sale price is lower than the employee discount.) I double checked the SKU's on my receipt and on the shelf tag, and they match.

So people who don't order online, be prepared to need to pricematch to a shelf tag.

I also went ahead and bought the steelbook 2-disc DVD for the extras and am contemplating returning the HD-DVD. Anyone feel that the picture's HD-worthy?

Got in on this via in-store pickup -- thanks OP. Watched it tonight and almost wish I would've gotten the BR version since the 360 drive doesn't do 1080p. Kinda interested in the steelbook version at BB, too. Damn my indecision!

[quote name='dafunkk12'] Anyone feel that the picture's HD-worthy?[/QUOTE]
The picture is DEFINITELY HD worthy! Outstanding PQ, but not so much the SQ (Sound Quality).

[quote name='dafunkk12']When I went in to work today, I picked up the last HD-DVD and saw the $22.99 shelf tag. When I rung out with employee discount, it was $29.89, regularly $34.99 (and we normally we get whatever is the lowest price if the sale price is lower than the employee discount.) I double checked the SKU's on my receipt and on the shelf tag, and they match.

So people who don't order online, be prepared to need to pricematch to a shelf tag.

I also went ahead and bought the steelbook 2-disc DVD for the extras and am contemplating returning the HD-DVD. Anyone feel that the picture's HD-worthy?[/QUOTE]

Mine rang up $22.99 in-store, but was listed at full price on the shelf. If it does ring up at full-price, just mention that its on sale on the BB website.

[quote name='Transformah']Mine rang up $22.99 in-store, but was listed at full price on the shelf. If it does ring up at full-price, just mention that its on sale on the BB website.[/QUOTE]
Mine rang up at 34.99 but I had a printout from BB.com and they gave the price with no problems. I even got the extra $5 off for buying it with Infamous.

[quote name='matowest']Got in on this via in-store pickup -- thanks OP. Watched it tonight and almost wish I would've gotten the BR version since the 360 drive doesn't do 1080p. Kinda interested in the steelbook version at BB, too. Damn my indecision![/quote]

?????

who said the 360 drive doesnt support p?

anyways..

so this comes up 34.99 on site..

does it just magically ring up 22.99? i dont wanna look like an ass at the register

edit... wow did it say 22.99 on site because i see 34.99

Idiots at my local BB screwed up my online pickup order and held the regular dvd version instead of HDDvD version. Cant confirm pricing but i did manage to get a rain check from the cashier and a $10 gift card for the screw up :). Bravo to BB employees, they're such idiots. At least the raincheck locks me in at $22.99 as the website now states its $34.99 regular price!!!

Yeah, the deal's probably dead by now unless you are lucky enough to find it in stock with the placard showing the $22.99 price(which you could then use to price match).

[quote name='Mojimbo']Yeah, the deal's probably dead by now unless you are lucky enough to find it in stock with the placard showing the $22.99 price(which you could then use to price match).[/QUOTE]

Best buy do give rain checks. I got myself one.

[quote name='sdpads19']Idiots at my local BB screwed up my online pickup order and held the regular dvd version instead of HDDvD version. Cant confirm pricing but i did manage to get a rain check from the cashier and a $10 gift card for the screw up :). Bravo to BB employees, they're such idiots. At least the raincheck locks me in at $22.99 as the website now states its $34.99 regular price!!![/quote]

Same thing happened to me, glad I checked my bag on the way out the door. I quickly went back and told them abou the mixup and they went over and got me theHD-DVD version.

[quote name='guyver2077']?????

who said the 360 drive doesnt support p?

anyways..

so this comes up 34.99 on site..

does it just magically ring up 22.99? i dont wanna look like an ass at the register

edit... wow did it say 22.99 on site because i see 34.99[/QUOTE]

Correction. You're right. It's really my TV's fault for not having a VGA input. :(

There was one left in stock at the Best Buy near my work. I noticed that they had the $22.99 placard that said "Departed HD DVD with DVD" but there were only the steel case 2-disc DVDs in it's place.

It rang up for $34.99, and I mentioned that it was supposedly on sale because of the placard and walked the cashier over to it. The manager came up and said that it was a misprint and that price was actually for the steelcase DVD version, and the SKUs on the placard and steelcase matched. They did. I argued that the steel case was definitely not an "HD DVD with DVD", but he still wouldn't give it to me. :mad: bastards.

[quote name='matowest']Correction. You're right. It's really my TV's fault for not having a VGA input. :([/QUOTE]

You know your TV's scaler just takes the 1080i input and de-interlaces it to 1080p anyways. It probably looks the same.

[quote name='pinoy530']You know your TV's scaler just takes the 1080i input and de-interlaces it to 1080p anyways. It probably looks the same.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're probably right.

But not SAME ENOUGH!!!

[quote name='Sarang01']Sigh. When is "Infernal Affairs" coming to HD DVD?[/quote]

yah com'on....Infernal Affair was a much better movie

I was looking for this last week at BB, but unfortunately there were no copies. If there are copies now, I doubt it'll be sold at this price, it wouldn't hurt though to look.

[quote name='Sarang01']Sigh. When is "Infernal Affairs" coming to HD DVD?[/quote]Infernal Affairs (the full trilogy) is distributed by Miramax (a Disney owned comapany.) If it comes to HD at all it will be Blu-Ray only (least there be an import version.)

[quote name='chalex']Infernal Affairs (the full trilogy) is distributed by Miramax (a Disney owned comapany.) If it comes to HD at all it will be Blu-Ray only (least there be an import version.)[/QUOTE]

The Ifernal Affairs Trilogy is distributed on dvd by Weinstein Co., an HD-DVD exclusive company. They left Miramax a couple years ago. Infernal Affairs was released when Weinstein was still part of Miramax. So Disney still has distribution rights to Infernal Affairs 1(the IA 1 in the box set is just the original Miramax release). Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 were only released last week, and Weinstein has all rights to those, so the sequels would be HD-DVD.

So if the movies come at all to HD, at this point, IA 1 would be Blu-ray and IA 2 and 3 would be HD-DVD.

[quote name='pinoy530']The Ifernal Affairs Trilogy is distributed on dvd by Weinstein Co., an HD-DVD exclusive company. They left Miramax a couple years ago. Infernal Affairs was released when Weinstein was still part of Miramax. So Disney still has distribution rights to Infernal Affairs 1(the IA 1 in the box set is just the original Miramax release). Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 were only released last week, and Weinstein has all rights to those, so the sequels would be HD-DVD.

So if the movies come at all to HD, at this point, IA 1 would be Blu-ray and IA 2 and 3 would be HD-DVD.[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like when Weinstein left Miramax, they took all their films with them, so all three IA movies could end up on HD DVD.

Just because one company distributed a movie in the past, doesnt mean it continues to hold the rights to it now.

bread's done
Back