The dread of selling - rebuying

clockworkgreen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
About a year ago, I sold off my Gamecube lot - games, system, controllers, etc. I thought I was done with Nintendo.

Now, I actually found and bought and enjoy my Wii. So what do I get to do? Rebuy the Gamecube stuff. Rebought a Wavebird (and if you've been to Ebay lately, it's not cheap), rebought Prime 1 & 2.

Sometimes the buying and selling works out pretty well. Until you realize you want/need it again. :)

[quote name='clockworkgreen']About a year ago, I sold off my Gamecube lot - games, system, controllers, etc. I thought I was done with Nintendo.

Now, I actually found and bought and enjoy my Wii. So what do I get to do? Rebuy the Gamecube stuff. Rebought a Wavebird (and if you've been to Ebay lately, it's not cheap), rebought Prime 1 & 2.

Sometimes the buying and selling works out pretty well. Until you realize you want/need it again. :)[/quote]

Well look at priority... Just track down and re-buy the games you know you really want to play. It should not be to hard and im sure you could find most of them on this site, they all may not be new and sealed though..

Good luck with your search....

In the long run you still probably come out ahead (as opposed to keeping games you never play), even if every once in a while you have to rebuy a game. This happened to me only once with WindWaker.

Tip: Be 100% positive you will never want to play it again before you sell it.

That does suck. I sold of my GC and a lot of games to put toward the Wii (sold other systems, games and stuff too, ended up not paying a cent out of pocket for the Wii and Zelda at launch).

But I kept the games I thought I'd replay. Only Donkey Konga has seen any action though. I seldom replay games though.

Well, once the system was out the door, no point in keeping the games. :)

Good to have a GC controller, just in case there are other GC titles that may pop up that I forgot about. And the Metroid repurchases are due to not fully playing the titles the first time but loving Metroid 3. So we'll see if it was due to Wii controls or that they made 3 easier, or if 3 broke down the barrier that I can now get into 1 & 2.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Well, once the system was out the door, no point in keeping the games. :)

Good to have a GC controller, just in case there are other GC titles that may pop up that I forgot about. And the Metroid repurchases are due to not fully playing the titles the first time but loving Metroid 3. So we'll see if it was due to Wii controls or that they made 3 easier, or if 3 broke down the barrier that I can now get into 1 & 2.[/quote]Ha, that's exactly the reason I've not sold those two yet. Loved 3, so will go back and try at least 1 again, see if it works for me. Though now I'm guessing the lack of free aim will make it even more disgruntling, control-wise.

[quote name='botticus']Ha, that's exactly the reason I've not sold those two yet. Loved 3, so will go back and try at least 1 again, see if it works for me. Though now I'm guessing the lack of free aim will make it even more disgruntling, control-wise.[/QUOTE]

The controls may be tough to swallow, but I think you'll probably get into it more than before now that you've played a whole game in the series.

At least the first, I though the second pretty much sucked. Well, that's exaggerating a bit, but I'd probably give it a 7.0-7.5 tops.

[quote name='Cambot']Have never sold a game. Been playing them since 1984.

I'm almost 31.[/quote]

i hear that i never sell have my nintendo still and everything in between...its not worth the money to sell it back

I get rid of the occasional game. I have a HUGE pile of unopened games and I should (and sometimes do) get rid of those. But once they are opened, especially if the kids have played them, I will almost surely keep them. Here's a sampling of games the kids have asked to play in the past week or so: Pikmin 2, Kirby Air Ride, Wario World, Star Wars Battlefront II (Xbox), Morrowind (!), and the usual standbys SSBM and SMS. I have 3 kids all growing and changing so I never know what they'll be interested in next. I might as well keep pretty much everything.

Funny thing - my son's friend was here the other day, and after looking at the games we keep out by the systems (which is 1/10 of what I have total ;)) he said we have so many games we must be poor (in that we must spend all our money on games). Ah, if he only knew... Oh yeah, and we played Mario Strikers Charged when he was here (another game I thought, briefly, of getting rid of).

This is why I never like selling my games unless I end up with multiple copies from sales/trades/lots (or I hate a particular game)

Getting rid of a game only to buy it back later is a huge waste of time possibly money.

I remember the first and only game I ever sold that I didn't want to: Super Mario RPG. God, I regretted doing that for years and years until my brother was lucky enough to find a copy. This was long before we used eBay and only had 1 EB near by so we found the copy completely by luck.

I decided to stop collection GameCube games a few months ago. Thank god for that, jesus, I had over 40 games and pretty much none of them were getting played.

By the way, I LOOOOOVVVEEE to get new release games, play them, and then get rid of 'em while they're still worth something ;)

[quote name='Vinny']Getting rid of a game only to buy it back later is a huge waste of time possibly money. [/QUOTE]

I think holding on to games for the sole purpose of being fearful I may, just may, want to play it some day, especially when I no longer even own the system, is as much of a waste of money.

Regardless, the 3 things I re-bought were bought for less than I sold it, so it's a wash. I certainly have no current need for the sold Cube or my copy of Viewtiful Joe or my 2x beaten copy of WindWaker. Just takes up space.

[quote name='freshzen']
By the way, I LOOOOOVVVEEE to get new release games, play them, and then get rid of 'em while they're still worth something ;)[/QUOTE]

Same here. Could always rebuy later for cheaper than I sold it for for most games, and honestly, I've never done that.

Just don't care to replay games. Once the credits roll I'm pretty much done with it. Always prefer to play a new game rather than replay an old one.

Have cut back DVD buying a good bit the past year or two as well, as I find myself prefering to watch more stuff I've not seen off of Netflix rather than grabbing something off my shelf to rewatch.

I sold my 1st Sega Saturn on ebay years ago. I had about 10 games for it but I never played the thing. While the auction was nearing its end, my friend and I started playing Saturn Bomberman. We were absolutely hooked by the time the money order (this was before paypal) got to me.

I shipped the console off like a up-standing citizen but found myself buying another Saturn and Bomberman off of ebay the very next week. That system has since broken and I had to buy another one. Other friends soon got hooked and to this day it's still our favorite party game.

Within the past two weeks I have sold about 20-25 games, mostly gamecube and N64.

Its a catch 22: the games I didn't care about selling got only 2-3 bucks, the ones it ripped my heart out to sell got about 20 bucks each (2 copies of Mariokart 64 and Super Smash Bros). I never play them anymore, they sit in a box in the storage area for my apt. and have absolutely no value to me anymore besides sentimentally.

So it boils down to a personal choice a Cheap Ass Gamer can only make for himself? Should I turn this sentimentally valuable but technologically/practically obsolete game into 1/3rd to a half of Bioshock, Metroid, or some other new masterpiece.

bread's done
Back