The Dreaded Paypal Chargeback

gmzone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Just wondering if anyone has been a victim of the dreaded chargeback where paypal takes the money out the same or next day because the money is potentially "stolen or unauthorized"?

This happened with a Nintendo DS system. Thank god, I didn't ship the item (I'm still out $8 or so in fees, grumble grumble), but what if I had?

Do most of you take money orders only now? I don't see any real money in that, but I imagine most don't depend on ebay as 2nd income.

You should be able to get pretty much all of your fees back I believe.

You should at least be able to get your eBay FVF back. I'm not sure exactly which case would apply, but you get it back when the buyer returns something for a full refund or when the buyer doesn't pay. I'd say this would fall under NPB. Hopefully it's not locking you out from starting that because they 'paid'. What a crock that would be.

And PayPal should have refunded the fee taken out automatically as part of the chargeback, right? If PayPal, didn't contact them about that.

Actually, paypal has not refunded the fees. Ebay won't let me file yet...
This stinks. Money has been "placed", and when I transferred the money from this payment with some others to the bank, they reversed it all together. This buyer has done this already with someone else, as they have a negative stating this.

Actually, paypal has not refunded the fees. Ebay won't let me file yet...
This stinks. Money has been "placed", and when I transferred the money from this payment with some others to the bank, they reversed it all together. This buyer has done this already with someone else, as they have a negative stating this. This is why I don't delve into selling bigger items, like PC's, jewelry, etc.

Yea this happened with me twice. Both times were after i shipped the item. One was a $300 auction ( bunch of junk laptops ), second was a laptop battery for $55. For first item, it was said to be a fraudulent transaction. Second, the guy said he never got it, and was stolen at his doorstep.

Though both times I used FedEx and proved they were delivered so I didn't lose any money. For second auction, I had to go thru FedEx insurance to get money back, then i paid the guy who "lost the package". Im pretty sure he was lying, but I didn't lose out on money, so didn't want to bother with it.

Rule of thumb is to use a trackable mail service, i.e. FedEx, and never keep a balance in your Paypal account. If i had left the money in there, it woudve been frozen for the duration of their "investigation", which took about a month.

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']Yea this happened with me twice. Both times were after i shipped the item. One was a $300 auction ( bunch of junk laptops ), second was a laptop battery for $55. For first item, it was said to be a fraudulent transaction. Second, the guy said he never got it, and was stolen at his doorstep.

Though both times I used FedEx and proved they were delivered so I didn't lose any money. For second auction, I had to go thru FedEx insurance to get money back, then i paid the guy who "lost the package". Im pretty sure he was lying, but I didn't lose out on money, so didn't want to bother with it.

Rule of thumb is to use a trackable mail service, i.e. FedEx, and never keep a balance in your Paypal account. If i had left the money in there, it woudve been frozen for the duration of their "investigation", which took about a month.[/QUOTE]

That is the rule that I use with paypal I only place money in the account when I am about to purchase something and leave less than 2 dollars in it any other time.

yeah i dont leave much of a paypal balance for this exact reason, ive sold a ton of shit and never had to deal with chargebacks(knocks on wood)

Yeah, we've gotten it, and yeah, for us it's a part time job out of our home. We need to keep money in our paypal, because that's what we buy games with.

Twice it happened, once where a guy from Canada refused to pick it up because the customs guy thought my hubby put $99 dollar value, and buyer would have been raped in fees. After a month we got the game back, so all was well.

Other time, we were out. Woman used her credit card to do the end run around, and we've still never received the game back. Think she's lying, but what can we do? It's the cost of business, and at least it was a transaction for under $30.

We now use Endicia which gives us delivery confirmation for only a dime, much cheaper than the p.o. Unfortunately, sometimes our p.o. doesn't scan them because we drop off in bulk.

So for us, the occasional amount is a business expense, because it's not worth it to turn away about a grand a month over the occasional chargeback.

r u one of those horders that causing me to miss out on most of those EB deals?

[quote name='browneyedgal68']Yeah, we've gotten it, and yeah, for us it's a part time job out of our home. We need to keep money in our paypal, because that's what we buy games with.

Twice it happened, once where a guy from Canada refused to pick it up because the customs guy thought my hubby put $99 dollar value, and buyer would have been raped in fees. After a month we got the game back, so all was well.

Other time, we were out. Woman used her credit card to do the end run around, and we've still never received the game back. Think she's lying, but what can we do? It's the cost of business, and at least it was a transaction for under $30.

We now use Endicia which gives us delivery confirmation for only a dime, much cheaper than the p.o. Unfortunately, sometimes our p.o. doesn't scan them because we drop off in bulk.

So for us, the occasional amount is a business expense, because it's not worth it to turn away about a grand a month over the occasional chargeback.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back