The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion sells 1.7 Million

j.elles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news_6147359.html
Bethesda boasts of its next-generation role-playing game's record-breaking sales--1.7 million to date.

Not sure about how much of that is PC and how much is 360 but that is a whole hell of a lot more then I thought The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion would sell. What do you guys think about it.

Not to surprising since the game is kind of like GTA in a fantasy world so i'm sure a lot of those guys jumped on board. Plus this game has been around since the 90's and the original game, Daggerfall. Which I own by the way. The first game was something wierd and wasn't like 2-4. Kind of like Dune 1 versus Dune 2 the Building of a Dynasty for you old schoolers out there.

I can see why a LOT of 360 owners purchased this. It intrigued a LOT of people and with not an abundance of games on the 360, this did NOT get lost. I even have a copy and I don't even like RPG's much.

Not surprising (although it is a lot of copies sold). This game is a PC role-playing geek's wet dream because it is so huge and then there's the crowd who bought it for their 360s because there aren't that many games available and everyone was raving about it...

I think this is a little like Ice Age II doing $100 million at the box office: it's largely a matter of timing.

Now, this is no knock to Oblivion (which I haven't played, but I did enjoy Morrowwind), but the 360 hasn't hit its stride for triple-A titles yet, and I think people are eager for something to play on the system, and making what would normally be a "decent but not insane" selling title into what we have here. I doubt that the "GTA" element has anything to do with it.

Even if just 40% sold on the 360, even though I suspect it was 60% sold on the 360, that's 680,000. If it was 60% that's over 1,000,000 at $59.99-69.99. Plus they've said the download of the horse armor, suprisingly, was much higher than they expected.

Either way the news and sales are huge, well deserved and an encouraging sign to publishers that there is a ton of money to be made on the 360 if you put out a quality product.

I really need to get this game.

I don't agree much about someone saying that the 360 is lacking quality titles. GRAW came out a few weeks before this and the numbers were extremly high as well. Out of the 9 360 games I own, I consider at least 7 of them to be very high quality titles (and well worth the purchase).

This is good news because in the future it will sell even more, since it's only been out for a short time,and because of that a lot of the PC created mods that make that version so much better now have a chance of making it to the 360. Some kind of PC to 360 conversion thing for the mods, or an online web page like what Neverwinter Nights has on Xbox Live. However, but the talking about it will probably become doing since it's so succesfull.

1.7 million copies shipped to date.

its still a lot, but its probably closer to 1 million sold to consumers

dont forget the ngage "sold" millions and millions too

not that oblivion wont sell a lot more in the months to come

[quote name='j.elles']Plus this game has been around since the 90's and the original game, Daggerfall. Which I own by the way. The first game was something wierd and wasn't like 2-4. Kind of like Dune 1 versus Dune 2 the Building of a Dynasty for you old schoolers out there.[/QUOTE]

What in the world are you rambling on about? The first one was ARENA and it was nothing like an RTS. It was true to form and a first person RPG with your mouse controlling the sword during battle.

You missed out on a great game by not playing it. It was really good for its time. Also in the paperwork it stated it was the first of 3 chapters.

Sorry to but in but check your facts.

[quote name='Kuma']I thought Daggerfall was part 2? I havnt played it in so long that i have no idea[/QUOTE]

Arena Daggerfall, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion a cell phone game... ahh heres the list:

1994 - The Elder Scrolls: Arena
1996 - The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
1997 - An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire
1998 - The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
2002 - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
2002 - The Elder Scrolls III: Tribunal
2003 - The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon
2003 - The Elder Scrolls Travels: Stormhold
2003 - The Elder Scrolls Travels: Dawnstar
2004 - The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey
2006 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2006 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Mobile

[quote name='mtxbass1']I really need to get this game.

I don't agree much about someone saying that the 360 is lacking quality titles. GRAW came out a few weeks before this and the numbers were extremly high as well. Out of the 9 360 games I own, I consider at least 7 of them to be very high quality titles (and well worth the purchase).[/QUOTE]

The 360 isn't lacking quality titles, especially considering it hasn't even been 6 full months since launch. People like to say stupid crap like "it doesn't have any good games" and forget how NEW the platform still is.

I'm very happy with the quality of 360 games, especially in the past few weeks.

[quote name='mmn']The 360 isn't lacking quality titles, especially considering it hasn't even been 6 full months since launch. People like to say stupid crap like "it doesn't have any good games" and forget how NEW the platform still is.

I'm very happy with the quality of 360 games, especially in the past few weeks.[/quote]

I agree...considering how new the system is (less than 5 months), there are a suprising number of good games available, with Oblivion being a great one.

Mrs. Cheapy and I are hooked!

[quote name='Snake2715']What in the world are you rambling on about? The first one was ARENA and it was nothing like an RTS. It was true to form and a first person RPG with your mouse controlling the sword during battle.

You missed out on a great game by not playing it. It was really good for its time. Also in the paperwork it stated it was the first of 3 chapters.

Sorry to but in but check your facts.[/QUOTE]
I meant that the first game had a different play style when compared to the sequel's. Just like Dune 1 was not an RTS Dune 2 TBODynasty was, and all the other sequels to Dune were RTS's as well just like Elder Scrolls. I didn't play the first elder scrolls because it was before I started playing games. I have heard of it though and thats why I mentioned it. Sorry for the confusion.

[quote name='j.elles']I meant that the first game had a different play style when compared to the sequel's. Just like Dune 1 was not an RTS Dune 2 TBODynasty was, and all the other sequels to Dune were RTS's as well just like Elder Scrolls. I didn't play the first elder scrolls because it was before I started playing games. I have heard of it though and thats why I mentioned it. Sorry for the confusion.[/QUOTE]

j.elles,

It sounds like you really like the style of game. I suggest trying the first one just to fill the gap and maybe even see where it all started. In my opinion it is exactly the same. First person RPG where you start out in a dungeon and level up (ie daggerfall) and for its time it was a great game. Still one of my favorites.. figuring out the riddles was great fun back and rewarding then as there was no cheating available (at least that I knew about)

Arena is available for Free @ Bethesda's site so its not illegal in the least (they are giving it out). Heres a link: They also mention how to run it perfectly in Dosbox (also free):

http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_anniv/tenth_anniv-arena.htm

Heres a couple screenshots... Its the same typ eof game:
annivar_scrn01B.jpg

annivar_scrn03B.jpg

I was thinking of an entirly different game then by the same company. It was some kind of overhead monster battle thing. It doesn't matter. I saw a screen of it back when I was like 8 or something saw the company logo and just assumed it was the first one. I've never seen the original up until this point then so thanks.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I really need to get this game.

I don't agree much about someone saying that the 360 is lacking quality titles. GRAW came out a few weeks before this and the numbers were extremly high as well. Out of the 9 360 games I own, I consider at least 7 of them to be very high quality titles (and well worth the purchase).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that's because GRAW was in the same situation: not that many high profile game were coming out when it was released. I'm not going to quibble about what games you consider very high quality (I'm pretty critical in general), but consider this list of release dates:

Battlefield 2: MC -- 04/11/2006
MLB 2K6 -- 04/10/2006
Top Spin 2 -- 03/29/2006
Rumble Roses XX -- 03/28/2006
Far Cry 360 -- 03/25/2006
Blazing Angels -- 03/23/2006
Monster Madness -- 03/22/2006
The Outfit -- 03/21/2006
Elder Scrolls IV -- 03/20/2006
Ghost Recon AW -- 03/09/2006

Yeah. Four or five "port pluses," a game I've never heard of, the underwhelming Blazing Angels and The Outfit ... and the two quality games. OF COURSE they're gonna sell gang-busters: if you know your ass from your elbow about gaming, and you already have GRAW, what are you going to buy? Yes, Oblivion. There's just nothing else there to compete for your gaming dollar this month on the 360.

Anybody remember Fantavision from the PS2 launch? Didn't think so. Guess what? It sold a half million copies. It happens. At least Oblivion is good AND well-positioned, rather than just one or the other.

Who said no QUALITY titles....one person said no TRIPLE-A titles, which is sorta true.

I said there is not a LOT of titles. The newest ones are ok at best:

Battlefield 2: MC -- Shiny new port
MLB 2K6 -- glitches?
Top Spin 2 -- Top Spin 1.5.....good game
Rumble Roses XX -- garbage
Far Cry 360 -- mixed reviews...port
Blazing Angels -- demo was not fun
Monster Madness -- what is this?
The Outfit -- ok, not great
Elder Scrolls IV -- AAA title possibly
Ghost Recon AW -- AAA title...GREAT

Monster Madness is an action RPG that isn't coming out anytime soon. Looks interesting to me, but I like those types of games.

Elder Scrolls has a good history. i.e. They don't make very many games in the series and every single one has been good. This one at heart is still an RPG. But it has many elements of action/FPS games to give it a better outlook for continued success here in NAmerica. Plus it didn't do it to be succesfull; every game in the series been from a FPS viewpoint. Although from what they said they did make changes to make it more action oriented. For example the developer said people complained that in made no sense when you attacked it would miss a lot. They said they fixed that and quite a few other things. I havent played it yet because I don' have enough money to get a 360 or a new Graphics card, and to boot my brother won't let me use his new crazy expensive pc. For now. I'll wear him down.

Anyway. After the success of this game. Selling 1,7 million in so short a period. This is a AAA title now. How Bethesda proceeds should be interesting. Maybe they'll be picked up by the Bioware/Pandemic thing.

How many do you think it will have sold a year from now. 3 million. 5-6 million. I'd say somewhere around 3 million in a year, a year and a halfs time.

I don't even like the game (not my cup of tea) but even I know it's AAA. Anybody who says anything else, well then either they expect too much from a game, or they are a Sony/Nintendo fanboy ;)

bread's done
Back