The Emo Picture Thread

GayCC.jpg

FEmo.jpg

You know, I find it funny that VG bitches about someone getting new material, and then randomly insults my taste in music/supposed elitism, because, you know, he's never done that before.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I know, it's almost as bad as completely interchangeable grindcore shit, which is someone growling unintelligable lyrics while their band tries to play as fast as possible.[/QUOTE]

:bomb: Hey! I do that!

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']You know, I find it funny that VG bitches about someone getting new material, and then randomly insults my taste in music/supposed elitism, because, you know, he's never done that before.[/QUOTE]

Just ignore VajinaGordina and everything will be just fine.

[quote name='HeadRusch']I dont think Evanescence is leftover goth, I think they're the ultimate expression of Corporate Rock right now......all they need is a DJ scratching on some LP's and a dude walking around the stage rapping into a mic, they'd be perfect.[/QUOTE]
Then they would be called Linkin Park.

[quote name='camoor']I also don't get the Abrecombie and Finch thing - the store looks kinda cool from outside, but how does blaring techno music and posters of half-naked men sell $60 t-shirts?[/QUOTE]

It still amazes me how freaking loud this store has their music. I understand that they want to attract attention (as if the huge posters of shirtless guys isn't enough), but it is too damn loud. I have never actually walked into this store, so maybe they just have the music playing by the door with speakers aimed outside.

[quote name='HeadRusch']All Emo is to me are the same kids who listed to The Smiths and Morrisey in the 80's, only dressed in black instead of London-Mod 60's clothes :p[/QUOTE]

NO.

(And I'll avoid the rest of your "drink PBR, grow a moustache, and listen to Pant-hurrr-a hypermasculine blather).

Let me repeat: NO.

You see, my wife called me out on this many moons ago when I was watching the video for "Girlfriend in a Coma" on tv. "How can you like this shit when you talk shit about emo kids?"

Ultimately, the emo mockery is misguided. It isn't because they ripped off mom's eyeshadow, or because of the Peppermint Patty haircuts, or the 1981 New Waver look from Hot Topic. While funny to make fun of, it's misguided because people in subcultures always dress funny.

Goths? ALWAYS funny.
Crusty punks? ALWAYS funny.
Metalheads? ALWAYS funny.
Candy Ravers? Even FUNNIER.
All your other subgenres? Yep, funny.

The difference between Morrissey and the Smiths-era music and emo is more related to popularity. I'll hold up "Papa Roach" as evidence of this problem. The key difference is this:

1) The Smiths were popular during a time when they were taking a risk writing songs like they did. Pop music was old disco and co-opted new wave, while "cock rock" was coming on the scene. They had plenty of avenues to go when it came to popular established songwriting, and didn't do it. The same can be said of Violent Femmes. Were they the first band to sound like that? 'course not. Could they have added a keyboard or synth player, given themselves some wacky hairdos, and been like an awesome Devo/Flock of Seagulls hybrid? That might have been an easier way to success.

2) Papa Roach played "nu metal" in the mid-90s when they became popular. That was a certifiable fad, and few of those bands stilll exist, perform, and sell albums. Now that "emo" is the thing, everyone in Papa Roach dropped a ton of weight, changed their look and their sound *completely* to reflect what is popular at the moment. This, to me, is the *KEY* gripe with "emo" music. The cats doing this are swimming with the current, and would be no matter what is popular. They would put on bellbottoms and grow moustaches so they could play old fuckin' 70's "Gap Band" crap if that became popular. They'd tease their hair out to play cock rock faster than you could say "Rokken like Dokken." They're just doing what is currently going to get them the most sales based on the kind of consumer who says "oh, this *looks* just like the other eyeliner albums I'm buying, so maybe it'll be good." (and you've been that kind of consumer too, buying a metal album just because the monster on the front was scary enough, the scowls of the bandmates on the back mean enough, or the band's logo indecipherable enough, so nobody's a saint here).

That's the difference. The Smiths were avoiding the temptation to perform popular styles of music, while emo bands jump into that shit headfirst.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I know, it's almost as bad as completely interchangeable grindcore shit, which is someone growling unintelligable lyrics while their band tries to play as fast as possible.[/QUOTE]

First of all, if you don't "get" grindcore, don't talk shit on it...
We never brought it into the mainstream, so it's plenty easy to avoid if you aren't out seeking it...
Secondly the whole emo bashing thing is pathetic, it isn't even accurate...
The worst thing to do is to let these makeup wearing, black hair in the face kids call themselves emo...
That is NOT emo, emo was started in the early 90s and involved tight clothing and crying, but there was NO CUTTING!!!
Cutters aren't emo, they're either idiots, or troubled youths, but they ARE NOT emo, also cutting is nothing new, it's been around forever and has nothing to do with a style, it's a social disorder...
-Goatman

[quote name='mykevermin']NO.

(And I'll avoid the rest of your "drink PBR, grow a moustache, and listen to Pant-hurrr-a hypermasculine blather).

Let me repeat: NO.

You see, my wife called me out on this many moons ago when I was watching the video for "Girlfriend in a Coma" on tv. "How can you like this shit when you talk shit about emo kids?"

Ultimately, the emo mockery is misguided. It isn't because they ripped off mom's eyeshadow, or because of the Peppermint Patty haircuts, or the 1981 New Waver look from Hot Topic. While funny to make fun of, it's misguided because people in subcultures always dress funny.

Goths? ALWAYS funny.
Crusty punks? ALWAYS funny.
Metalheads? ALWAYS funny.
All your other subgenres? Yep, funny.

The difference between Morrissey and the Smiths-era music and emo is more related to popularity. I'll hold up "Papa Roach" as evidence of this problem. The key difference is this:

1) The Smiths were popular during a time when they were taking a risk writing songs like they did. Pop music was old disco and co-opted new wave, while "cock rock" was coming on the scene. They had plenty of avenues to go when it came to popular established songwriting, and didn't do it. The same can be said of Violent Femmes. Were they the first band to sound like that? 'course not. Could they have added a keyboard or synth player, given themselves some wacky hairdos, and been like an awesome Devo/Flock of Seagulls hybrid? That might have been an easier way to success.

2) Papa Roach played "nu metal" in the mid-90s when they became popular. That was a certifiable fad, and few of those bands stilll exist, perform, and sell albums. Now that "emo" is the thing, everyone in Papa Roach dropped a ton of weight, changed their look and their sound *completely* to reflect what is popular at the moment. This, to me, is the *KEY* gripe with "emo" music. The cats doing this are swimming with the current, and would be no matter what is popular. They would put on bellbottoms and grow moustaches so they could play old fuckin' 70's "Gap Band" crap if that became popular. They'd tease their hair out to play cock rock faster than you could say "Rokken like Dokken." They're just doing what is currently going to get them the most sales based on the kind of consumer who says "oh, this *looks* just like the other eyeliner albums I'm buying, so maybe it'll be good." (and you've been that kind of consumer too, buying a metal album just because the monster on the front was scary enough, the scowls of the bandmates on the back mean enough, or the band's logo indecipherable enough, so nobody's a saint here).

That's the difference. The Smiths were avoiding the temptation to perform popular styles of music, while emo bands jump into that shit headfirst.[/QUOTE]

Good to see someone educated on this forum...
Also thank you for putting "emo" in quotes like that when talking about Papa Roach, because anyone with history of music knows that emo is really SDRE, Braid, Texas is the Reason, Get Up Kids, The Promise Ring, and the like, and NOT the shit that gets played these days...
I swear, the best thing for any of us to do is just to NOT let them call it emo, because it isn't, it's dirty pop music, call it that...
-Goatman

[quote name='evanft']This thread needs to be cleansed by Manowar:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmmTNX-jAeU[/quote]

Manowar....heh heh.....I forgot about these guys :lol:

I'm more of a Venom man myself:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgF0liyshyw[/MEDIA]

Did you know that Cronus, the lead singer, eats raw meat. If that isn't anti-emo, I don't know what is.

[quote name='mykevermin'](And I'll avoid the rest of your "drink PBR, grow a moustache, and listen to Pant-hurrr-a hypermasculine blather).
[/QUOTE]
Put Down the Full Throttle....

Oohhhh you think I'm crackin on the Smiths...! I'm not.....
I'm drawing a parallel to the people who listened to them, not the music.
I can listen to the Smiths, I consider them pioneers and a fantastic backlash to the Brit post New Romantics/Punk scene.....

I dont even know what the fuck that is... Don't make me Wiki it...

Relax you made your point.....has nothing to do with the music, has everything to do with the caliber of fans listening to the music at the time. Around where I was that would have been depressed counter-culture girls with black fingernails, and budding teen homosexual guys.

hair out to play cock rock faster than you could say "Rokken like Dokken."

Scary thing is..today....I actually *like* Dokken :p See, age...it fucks you up.

(and you've been that kind of consumer too, buying a metal album just because the monster on the front was scary enough, the scowls of the bandmates on the back mean enough, or the band's logo indecipherable enough, so nobody's a saint here).
Yeah, but not since I was 17...

Of course back then my buddy brought over his ManoWar disc, I took one look at the cover and told him to get the fuck out.

[quote name='munch']Says the guy who listens to Manowar? :roll:[/QUOTE]

You're obviously not man enough to understand Manowar. Kill some posers, and then come back.

[quote name='mykevermin'][/QUOTE]

Thx........now I gotta go rinse my eyes out with Draino.....this must be the spinning-chemlight crowd eh?

Kinda glad I was out of school before that shit came to town. "hey, want to share my pacifier?".

Thats almost as disturbing as the NuAge hippies that follow Phish and String Cheeze Incident.......

Thank you mykevermin for sticking up for the Smiths and Morrissey. They are 2 of my favorites and I would never have considered them emo. If someone didn't stand up for them soon, I was about to slit my wrists! JK, I was getting a little irritated though.

Now get back to posting more emo pics that I can laugh at instead of having a flame war with VaginaGorilla.

gwar.jpg

Thy Mighty GWAR > Those shitty emo bands that VG loves so much

[quote name='goatindaruffness']Good to see someone educated on this forum...
Also thank you for putting "emo" in quotes like that when talking about Papa Roach, because anyone with history of music knows that emo is really SDRE, Braid, Texas is the Reason, Get Up Kids, The Promise Ring, and the like, and NOT the shit that gets played these days...
I swear, the best thing for any of us to do is just to NOT let them call it emo, because it isn't, it's dirty pop music, call it that...
-Goatman[/QUOTE]

Amen brother!

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What's worse, the emo kids who follow the dress code and hairstyles to a tee, or the people who constantly rip on them, for no reason other than trying to make themselves look like a hardass.[/QUOTE]
The emo kids who follow the dress code and hairstyles to a tee. All clear?

Hey, I'm here to help.

[quote name='Moxio']I refuse to sign up for MySpace to see these emo Hussein pics![/quote]

I will help you out then...
l_c17a508e51b4532653c0074afd9b496a.jpg

l_6070f176874fdd78e7fdec7e96cda87a.jpg

l_fc0f7b7dd608165e111fec563538c917.jpg

l_a5ca0d347d9f0dc82df61f6414147cf3.jpg

l_0471607db3c22860e9c88d208ba0657b.jpg

[quote name='munch']Says the guy who listens to Manowar? :roll:[/quote]Don't you get it, anything in German is awesome, no matter if it's generic 80's metal.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Don't you get it, anything in German is awesome, no matter if it's generic 80's metal.[/quote]

253601_a.jpg

This pleases the Hoff.

[quote name='2poor']Stussy mafia sounds like the stupidest thing ever. Please tell me some gang kicked the shit out of them.[/quote]

Well not really - MS13 was just starting to move in at the time and the story around HS was that one of them got threatened with a machete.

Yeah, overall my HS was pretty tame.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Don't you get it, anything in German is awesome, no matter if it's generic 80's metal.[/quote]
See, this just proves you know absolutely nothing, and won't even bother to look up the facts before pulling this shit out of your ass. Manowar is from NY, not Germany. At least know what the fuck you're talking about if you want to argue about it.

EDIT: I mean, fucking christ, all you had to do was listen to 5 seconds of the song to see that they're singing in fucking ENGLISH. How is that "in German"?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']See, this just proves you know absolutely nothing, and won't even bother to look up the facts before pulling this shit out of your ass. Manowar is from NY, not Germany. At least know what the fuck you're talking about if you want to argue about it.

EDIT: I mean, fucking christ, all you had to do was listen to 5 seconds of the song to see that they're singing in fucking ENGLISH. How is that "in German"?[/quote]i just assumed they were, since the hosts were speaking it. I didn't actually WATCH them perform. I'll be the first to admit to my own "pwnage" right there.

[quote name='HeadRusch']I find it truly amusing when you see kids protesting the war at college....how we're greedy, how this is a war for oil and profits for American companies...kids wearing $200 designer jeans, $400 jackets...$200 shoes...then they drive to the bars at night in their $80K Lexus slugging back $12.00 martini's, talking about how awful our countrys greed is and how "we should practice, you know, like, peace and stuff" :D

It all depends....I personally dont like people who think they've got the whole thing figured out because they read democratic blogs and go to G8 protests.

The simple fact is that little people like you and I will never know the true reasons behind the wheres and whys of major events like this.

PS: Most Emo kids aren't thinking too far much beyond their own existances at that point in life. "My parents wont get me a car...I'm going to cut up my arm..nobody understands me". :p[/quote]

I don't get the point of emos.

However for every "limousine liberal" you point out, I'll give you 20 xenophobic, bigoted, and intolerant "compassionate conservatives"

[quote name='HeadRusch']Thats almost as disturbing as the NuAge hippies that follow Phish and String Cheeze Incident.......[/quote]

How do you hide money from a Phish fan?

Put it under the soap

:lol:

I went to some raves back in my youth - nothing wrong with getting loose to some great tunes while believing that everyone can be cool for just a few hours. It's funny too - because I can't remember anyone ever getting violent or out-of-control - but the government just hated it. You've got all this angst-filled heroin rock and mosh-pit insanity being held in ampitheaters and sports stadiums across the nation, promoted out the wazoo by the machine, but when a bunch of kids get together in a field and believe in peace-and-love for a couple of hours they get the black helicopter, riot police, and tear gas treatment.

The funny thing is - compare that scene to today. The kids are even more fucked up and the government couldn't be happier. The mainstream listens to MTV produced corpo-pop, jingoistic country and misogynistic materialistic rap, and the majority of kids who reject this program have been seduced into embracing a fad that serves as a shallow facade for every stereotype of weakness that our culture embraces. These emo kids are a self-parody - they are a boon to those who believe that anyone expressing independent thought is really just a whiny, spoiled, clueless brat whose main hobbies include hating life, dressing ridiculously, and crying himself to sleep.

I expect the rave scene to stay deep underground - the last thing that the increasingly theocratic and militaristic government wants is a repeat of the 70s - and the corpo-music machine is given plenty of incentive to play along.

I actually started going "emo" recently...long story as to how it happened really. I used to be a prep, and I've also been a skateboarder for ~10 years and have recently been working on making a career out of it. Basically I noticed almost everyone wearing tight pants so I gave it a try and got a few pairs. At first I was really uncomfortable in them thinking "Wow I must look like a loser", but I tried skating with them and was immediately impressed. I'm a tech skater, meaning I do a lot of tricks where I flip my board. The tight pants actually make it so you can see your board better and they don't get in the way as much. On top of that, they're warmer than baggy pants, so they keep me warm in the 8+ hour skate sessions a day endured though in the winter. One thing kinda lead to another, and now my hair is becoming I guess what people consider "emo". I kinda alternate between preppy and "emo", because honestly I don't care what people think. I dress what I'm comfortable in. However when I'm in public and not skating I tend to dress more preppy, mostly because whenever I'm in public and dressed "emo", people often tell me to give my sister her pants back, or make other remarks about how I look. Long story short, tight pants are comfortable.

[quote name='THPS']I actually started going "emo" recently...long story as to how it happened really. I used to be a prep, and I've also been a skateboarder for ~10 years and have recently been working on making a career out of it. Basically I noticed almost everyone wearing tight pants so I gave it a try and got a few pairs. At first I was really uncomfortable in them thinking "Wow I must look like a loser", but I tried skating with them and was immediately impressed. I'm a tech skater, meaning I do a lot of tricks where I flip my board. The tight pants actually make it so you can see your board better and they don't get in the way as much. On top of that, they're warmer than baggy pants, so they keep me warm in the 8+ hour skate sessions a day endured though in the winter. One thing kinda lead to another, and now my hair is becoming I guess what people consider "emo". I kinda alternate between preppy and "emo", because honestly I don't care what people think. I dress what I'm comfortable in. However when I'm in public and not skating I tend to dress more preppy, mostly because whenever I'm in public and dressed "emo", people often tell me to give my sister her pants back, or make other remarks about how I look. Long story short, tight pants are comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

:lol: When you put it that way, its actually quite depressing... :cry:

How the hell did they manage to get people to do exactly what they want while thinking they were being exactly what they didn't want them to be while paying for the pleasure?

[quote name='camoor']How do you hide money from a Phish fan?

Put it under the soap

:lol:

I went to some raves back in my youth - nothing wrong with getting loose to some great tunes while believing that everyone can be cool for just a few hours. It's funny too - because I can't remember anyone ever getting violent or out-of-control - but the government just hated it. You've got all this angst-filled heroin rock and mosh-pit insanity being held in ampitheaters and sports stadiums across the nation, promoted out the wazoo by the machine, but when a bunch of kids get together in a field and believe in peace-and-love for a couple of hours they get the black helicopter, riot police, and tear gas treatment.

The funny thing is - compare that scene to today. The kids are even more fucked up and the government couldn't be happier. The mainstream listens to MTV produced corpo-pop, jingoistic country and misogynistic materialistic rap, and the majority of kids who reject this program have been seduced into embracing a fad that serves as a shallow facade for every stereotype of weakness that our culture embraces. These emo kids are a self-parody - they are a boon to those who believe that anyone expressing independent thought is really just a whiny, spoiled, clueless brat whose main hobbies include hating life, dressing ridiculously, and crying himself to sleep.

I expect the rave scene to stay deep underground - the last thing that the increasingly theocratic and militaristic government wants is a repeat of the 70s - and the corpo-music machine is given plenty of incentive to play along.[/quote]

[quote name='subparplasma']:applause:

I guess we can congratulate a whole generation of kids for embracing corporate sponsored bands. woohoo.

[/quote]Every generation has fallen victim to corporate fads. When I was a kid, everyone had to have pogs, and everyone loved Pokemon. They were fads, developed by companies so that they could milk as much money out of you as possible. This is the same basic thing, only on the musical level, just as Boy Bands were huge in the late 90's. These emo kids aren't trying to make a statement, they are just trying to fit in, because they see everyone at their school doing the same thing, so they do it too.

I only wear tight pants if if I'm wearing cowboy boots and a button down shirt. Thats about as far from emo as you can get. I don't sit and whine about my problems, I hog tie and deepfry their asses.

[quote name='Kayden']I only wear tight pants if if I'm wearing cowboy boots and a button down shirt. Thats about as far from emo as you can get. I don't sit and whine about my problems, I hog tie and deepfry their asses.[/quote]Since when was hog tying big in Minnesota?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Since when was hog tying big in Minnesota?[/quote]

Step into my bedroom and I'll show you. :hot:

bread's done
Back