The Filmmaking Thread (Video/DV/Film/Editing/Shooting/Etc)

lordwow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
There are quite a few people on CAG that are interested in, or professionally involved in, filmmaking, production, etc. So here's a thread where you can talk about and ask questions about anything involved with filmmaking from getting started to more advanced questions about editing, lighting, etc.

If you're already a pro at filmmaking, feel free to answer some questions, post some tips, or tell us some fun stories from your shoots, and if you're new, feel free to ask anything. I'll try to keep the OP updated with some FAQs as they come up.

Thanks Lordwow.

As for right now as far as we know there are 2 "pros" as in get paid regularly for their film work. Lordwow and myself. Again feel free to asks us anything.

Also here is a website that really shows the struggles of people who freelance in the film business and what you will run up against.

http://disgruntledcrew.blogspot.com/

By the way Wow do you run cameras? I wan to know your set up.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Thanks Lordwow.

As for right now as far as we know there are 2 "pros" as in get paid regularly for their film work. Lordwow and myself. Again feel free to asks us anything.

Also here is a website that really shows the struggles of people who freelance in the film business and what you will run up against.

http://disgruntledcrew.blogspot.com/

By the way Wow do you run cameras? I wan to know your set up.[/QUOTE]

I use a Panasonic DVX-100B

11051.jpg

I learned on Canon GL1/2/XL1, but when I went to purchase, I liked two things about the DVX-100 better:
1) Built in XLR (audio) inputs.
2) 24p and more settings for lighting.

It is kind of falling out of date as it's not HD, but it's still high quality 3 CCD, so it works very well for internet video and even DVDs and projecting with an upscaler.

I use a pretty standard cheap tripod, but I've been doing a lot of handheld shooting as of late. I shoot exclusively on Mini-DV, and edit using Final Cut Pro Studio.

For microphones, I have a REALLY cheap lav mic that I rarely use, and a Shure SM58 which is great quality, durability and all-around usefulness for about $60-$80.

If I'm shooting at an event, generally we just XLR the sound board with one of the cameras, so the mic isn't that big of an issue.

My biggest weakness IMHO is lighting which I didn't get a ton of experience with because almost all of my shoots have been either outside, or at an event which you can't really do much with the lighting. Also I haven't jumped on a lighting kit yet, so that stings a bit (lamps FTW).

Nice, I use the DvX-100 for a long time when I was just out of school. My boss at the time loved that damn thing. I also have used the XL2 a lot for shooting sports.

I havent purchased a camera yet. I really want a Cannon XH-A1 which runs around 5 grand. Which I dont have. But the thing is just great. Shoots in HD on mini DV.

I but I use a giant JVC beta shoulder cam a lot to. Thing weighs like 60 pounds man after 10 hours of holding that my back is always about to shatter.

Ouch, that's why I like the GL/DVX models, because they're a very comfortable weight.

I forget what kind my company uses for HD, but it's about a $10k Sony though. Very, very nice quality.

I work at a local access TV station where I regularly attend shoots, edit, basically all parts of production.

What specifically do you other professionals do?

I am most a freelancer. But I have contacts all over and I am currently trying to land a full time gig.

Real quick run down.

Flavor of Love Field audio
NFL Films Detroit Lions games Camera
BET Luis Faracon (sp) rally
North American International Auto Show for Speed TV

Ect ect. A ton of cooperate crap thats boring as hell. As well as a ton of parties when I first started out.

I work freelance, mainly for corporate and film festival productions (as in the running of them, not submitting for them). I shoot occasionally, but mainly edit and sometimes even act if needed.

I also do backend work for a website including compressor and FTP that hosts the videos mentioned above.

Are any of you located in the NYC area?

I primarily work as a production assistant on movies and the occasional television show out here. Most recently we wrapped production on a film called "New York, I Love You." Since then I've day-played on a few different things... reshoots on Adventureland (Greg Mottola was directing, so Michael Cera came by set... he introduced himself to me!), and a few days in CT on a television show for IFC. Up next I'm supposed to be on a television special that's shooting entirely on location across the states... 14 shoot days over 3 weeks, locations like LA, Las Vegas, Philly and Boston... so that'll be an experience, if nothing else. (Oh, and a good day rate... the one plus side to TV.)

So far as my own stuff goes... I have a panasonic DVX-100a. It's a fantastic camera, but that's about as far as my package goes... I have a crappy tripod, and no microphone to speak of. That's my next acquisition, I hope. I work with a close friend on brainstorming and writing stuff, with the ultimate goal of making our own stuff. I'm making a lot of really valuable connections by working as a PA. Worst case scenario, after I put in my 600 days on set, I'll join the DGA and be an Assistant Director. Certainly not my goal, but it's one way to making a living in a field I love.

I have a question. How did you guys finance your camera purchases?

I mean I am making an alright living but not enough to drop 3-5 grand randomly on a camera. But I know so many people that have them already even at my young age.

Just wondering how that is going.

You guys are so cool. I just got a Canon Vixia HF10. Thats the best I can do but then again, filming is just a hobby for me (although I wish I could turn it into more than that)

I'll leaving for college in a month or two to study film making. I'm more into screen-writing and directing personally, but I do enjoy film editing as well.

I'm actually editing a little film for a final right now.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I'll leaving for college in a month or two to study film making. I'm more into screen-writing and directing personally, but I do enjoy film editing as well.

I'm actually editing a little film for a final right now.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy it. But remember that a lot of people in the film programs are very closed-minded. They range from great to poor, so take everything with a grain of salt and don't be afraid to try and do your own thing despite what the profs may say.

I majored in Media studies personally, so I had a combination of production and analysis in all forms of media, and I tried to get into grad school for film, but came just short (I only applied to the top few programs and made it to the final cut of a few).

Do you mind if I ask where you're planning on going?

I'm looking to go to college for film, probably editing. Directing's good too, because at least I'm better than the people that direct ______ Movie

[quote name='lordwow']Enjoy it. But remember that a lot of people in the film programs are very closed-minded. They range from great to poor, so take everything with a grain of salt and don't be afraid to try and do your own thing despite what the profs may say.[/quote]

Oh, trust me, I know all about this already. I will most definitely be doing my own thing. That's the only way to get noticed.

[quote name='lordwow']
Do you mind if I ask where you're planning on going?[/quote]

Franklin Peirce University. About 45 minutes from my house. Definitely not a major film school, but they've got a great media communications building, and most of the classes I'm interested in.

Questions:
1) How do you add a song to video clip?
2) How do you add sections (I think the term is 'splice')?
3) Is there a good freeware software thats good for the above mentioned and even more movie editing techniques?

For what it`s worth, I`m currently using an HD-ready video camera for my clips.

Generally to do that you need editing software, as that stuff is done in "post" (after you've shot).

For music I generally use an Mp3 of whatever song it is. Then you have to render it into the project file in the editing program.

As far as freeware, soodmeg may be able to help you better than I, as I use a Mac for my editing and it comes with iMovie.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Oh, trust me, I know all about this already. I will most definitely be doing my own thing. That's the only way to get noticed.

Franklin Peirce University. About 45 minutes from my house. Definitely not a major film school, but they've got a great media communications building, and most of the classes I'm interested in.[/QUOTE]

Cool Cool, not a bad thing to go to a school with not as big/famous as a program. A lot more freedom in that environment, and you learn a lot more different stuff than the big guys (especially shooting on a tight budget/crap equipment).

[quote name='Foo228']Questions:
1) How do you add a song to video clip?
2) How do you add sections (I think the term is 'splice')?
3) Is there a good freeware software thats good for the above mentioned and even more movie editing techniques?

For what it`s worth, I`m currently using an HD-ready video camera for my clips.[/quote]

Well what program are you using to edit? Also you need to make sure your program can edit in hd or your hd read camera means jack squat. Beacuse you will need to convert that format and if your editing program cant covert it into hd then its not hd.

The timeline should be in layers. Audio is separate from video. You basically just need to have them over top of each other during the same clip.

2. I dont really get what you mean here. Tell me what you want to end with and I will help you as best I can.

3. Hell no. Well depending on how good you want it to actually be. I might be biased because my brain doesnt register anything like imovie or windows movie maker as actually editing software.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also. I agree, take everything in this business with a grain of salt. My prof said it best when speaking of the Media Business (as in film, tv, radio, anything)

I quote.

"The business (film,tv,radio,video) is a random clusterfuck of pure fuckness."

End quote.

You have to remember. This is visual art. Everything is subject.

What is the best pc based editing software? I have used imovie, which I liked (but i don't have a mac), and I have used vegas (which i like ok).

I used to go to film school at SCC in Arizona. It was cool and had a great group that stuck together for most of the classes. One by one though everyone went seperate ways and I just felt like I lost my spark. I tried going back a few years later but it wasn't the same. I haven't done anything with film in about three years.

I learned to shoot on 8MM and edit positive prints. That lead to 16mm then digital. Learned editing on Avid and had my own mac with Final Cut Pro.

A guys with a note to Lordwow since you are a fellow freelancer.

Can you believe this guy?

I get a call from a film maker he wants me to come shoot a couple hours of stuff for him. Using all of my gear (and by my I mean my friends borrowed camera and such...but as for as he knows its mine) and like a lot of douche bags he wants me to shoot it for free.

Now I have a strict rule about shooting things for free. 1 it has to benefit me immediately. Because anyone can say.."if you do a good job there might be paying work down the line.." What is that? 1 week? 1 Month? Next Project? 5 years? I dont do the "I promise you work that might come up down the line."

But I bend that rule if I think it will benefit me via contacts. Since I live in Michigan and we just passed this bill that gives 42% money back for movies to be made here. That should bring in a lot of film here and I want to start making some contacts with these people.

So this guy wants me to shoot for him for free. I am kinda interested solely because he is a film maker in Michigan. First I ask him...whats your budgets like? He says small cant pay you. I kinda roll my eyes. Then after some talk I actually think its worth my while. I say alright....but you pay for my gas as the gig was like an hour away from my apartment.

You would think I asked to sleep with his wife. He gets all huffy and puffy at me saying that the budget is tight and yadda yadda yadda.

I reply, dude your asking me to do about 500 bucks worth of work (my camera, my audio gear, my time) for free and you cant give me a 20 spot for gas? If you are seriously making a movie 20 bucks shouldnt break the budget when your trading it off for all my work. Screw you. I hung on him.

2 Hours later I get a call back from a different guy who sounds like a higher up requesting me. I missed the call but I am not sure I want to work for these guys.

Some people. They think just because they are making a movie I am suppose to bend over backwards. Working on a movie is cool but guess what? I can pay my rent in "cool."

Ya, I don't work for free unless it's a close personal friend, and then I will, but even then they'll usually hook me up with whatever I want (food/DV Tapes/etc), but for anyone else no.

That is ridiculous, people who want you to work for free aren't "in" at all, they're not worth getting on board with. If they can't even budget in shooting to their film, they're probably not funded at all.

Like seriously, if they don't even have the budget for a camera & cameraman, they shouldn't be shooting

[quote name='Soodmeg']Well what program are you using to edit? Also you need to make sure your program can edit in hd or your hd read camera means jack squat. Beacuse you will need to convert that format and if your editing program cant covert it into hd then its not hd.

The timeline should be in layers. Audio is separate from video. You basically just need to have them over top of each other during the same clip.

2. I dont really get what you mean here. Tell me what you want to end with and I will help you as best I can.

3. Hell no. Well depending on how good you want it to actually be. I might be biased because my brain doesnt register anything like imovie or windows movie maker as actually editing software.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also. I agree, take everything in this business with a grain of salt. My prof said it best when speaking of the Media Business (as in film, tv, radio, anything)

I quote.

"The business (film,tv,radio,video) is a random clusterfuck of pure fuckness."

End quote.

You have to remember. This is visual art. Everything is subject.[/quote]

Well, the thing is I don't currently have any video editing software, thus why I'm so interested in getting some hopefully available and worthwhile freeware, if it even exists

What I meant in #2, was like adding clips off of youtube into a homemade production...stuff like that :cool: (so I'd be able to "wow" my friends)

[quote name='Foo228']Well, the thing is I don't currently have any video editing software, thus why I'm so interested in getting some hopefully available and worthwhile freeware, if it even exists

What I meant in #2, was like adding clips off of youtube into a homemade production...stuff like that :cool: (so I'd be able to "wow" my friends)[/quote]

I would be extremely careful when taking clips from youtube if you at all care about quality of picture.

Youtube literally rapes the quality of any and all videos that are posted on that site. And taking anything from there and converting it would only worsen the quality.

There are other high quality sites similar to youtube. Though I cant remember the name of them off the top of my head for some reason. I will get on that for you.

WOW I'm glad someone made this thread. I have been working on a script since black friday only I have been slacking for the past few weeks. It was somthing that I started to do after work when I worked from 2pm to 12:30am till I would go to sleep. I have been wondering once I get it done who to send it to. If anyone knows of some movie studios that might give it a look could you pm me their addresses or post them?

[quote name='sendme']WOW I'm glad someone made this thread. I have been working on a script since black friday only I have been slacking for the past few weeks. It was somthing that I started to do after work when I worked from 2pm to 12:30am till I would go to sleep. I have been wondering once I get it done who to send it to. If anyone knows of some movie studios that might give it a look could you pm me their addresses or post them?[/QUOTE]

Movie studios and producers don't take unsolicited scripts for the most part. You'll need to get an agent.

[quote name='lordwow']I use a Panasonic DVX-100B

11051.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of buying that exact camera!! :D

I used the older model (DVX 100) and GL2's back at DePaul, but I definitely preferred the Panasonic and was hoping to grab one for myself.

Ironically enough, after I graduated I moved to Japan to teach English and I lost 99% of my work thanks to my Alienware Laptop crapping out on me twice and my External Hard Drive (which had backups of all my work) that decided to stop working. :cry:
I managed to salvage some stuff from a DVD I made for my former roommate, but none of it is very good quality. Argh.

Anywho, I mainly studied post-production and special effects (my major was originally Computer Graphics and Animation before Digital Cinema became available my Junior Year), so I was never that great at filming/lighting. I'd like to get back into it as a side job/hobby, but I'm going to wait until I'm settled into my new job this fall (if I HAVE ONE.... :shock: ) to track down a camera.

I just uploaded a re-dubbed Zelda Cartoon my friend and I did for our Sound Design class to YouTube, but it says it's still "processing"....?

I'll post the link later.

Cool gameboy, it's a very solid prosumer camera

(for those that don't know there's three levels of cameras in the video world:
- Consumer (usually about $100-$300+), 1 CCD, usually very pixelated.
- Prosumer (usually about $2000-$3000+), 3 CCD, usually very good quality for Youtube, and even DVD
- Professional (usually $5000-$15000+), 3 CCD, usually HD now, extremely good quality, usually a lot bigger than Prosumer cameras (like the ones you wear on your shoulder), and have a TON of options on the camera for different shooting styles/lighting/etc.)

The good thing about the DVX100 is that it's dropping in price pretty steadily because there are now HD cameras that are better out for about $1k more. So if you're just looking to do something for YouTube or maybe show your friends or whatever, the DVX100 is top-knotch.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Zelda Cartoon is up!

Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5EYAQQmj3M

It might be a little NSFW because of bad language. :lol:
Again, this was for a sound design class and my friend and I edited EVERY sound in the video (music/SFX/Voices). None of the original sounds were used.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Nice.

i'll check the cartoon later, but that same camera (an older model though I think) is what I use to. very nice and good overall. I can't complain one bit about it.

You can add me to the list of film industry workers, I am a Prop Master and Art Director with some Set Dressing on the side. Lately, I have been working on a lot of Infomercials as I am not going to turn down paying gigs.

If you are clever enough, I posted enough info to find the rest of my IMDB credits as well.

[quote name='lordwow']Movie studios and producers don't take unsolicited scripts for the most part. You'll need to get an agent.[/QUOTE]

Well fuck. I bet the agent will want money also. fucking hollywood.

[quote name='sendme']Well fuck. I bet the agent will want money also. fucking hollywood.[/QUOTE]

That's the way it works. The agent cuts a cut of whatever you get for it.

There are a ton of books out there from people who have been through it with tips on how to find a good agent who won't screw you over.

School film academies are usually a great place to score some free work, but just be careful with the actors/actresses at a university because they flake ALL the time.

Try to get actors/actresses from places like drama clubs, even high school drama clubs.

I plan on getting into screenwriting and stage production, because I want to write my own scripts, and produce the scenery for them. Maybe down the line I'll work towards being a director. I have great stories and ideas, just have to work on being able to put them into words. I've already made a few friends here in San Diego that are at SDSU but I heard the film academy there is very steep. He has like a 3.0-3.5 and he said they turned him down.

What I'm thinking of doing is doing web design as well as film production and maybe make a website with video-blogs, short films/clips, video reviews and just try to put a bunch of stuff together to see what works. I think the key now a days to having a solid career is being good at more than one thing, and finding which one propels you to be able to use the others.

Hey everybody! I'm glad to finally see a filmmaking thread here on CAG! ;)

I'm going to be a senior film student at Minnesota State Moorhead. It's a pretty small film program, but one of the really great and affordable ones in the upper midwest.

I thought since some of you all enjoy filmmaking as much as I do I'd share one of my projects from Beginning Film Class in Spring of 2007.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e89zjVTebLo[/MEDIA]

[quote name='Soodmeg']I would be extremely careful when taking clips from youtube if you at all care about quality of picture.

Youtube literally rapes the quality of any and all videos that are posted on that site. And taking anything from there and converting it would only worsen the quality.

There are other high quality sites similar to youtube. Though I cant remember the name of them off the top of my head for some reason. I will get on that for you.[/quote]

Alright, thanks. As of right now though, my main concern is grouping some files taken from by video camera together and putting them onto a dvd. ...Maybe it's as easy as burning a music cd, but I've never done it so you're welcome to call me a noob in the category. I'd appreciate any help, again thanks in advance.

I'm a bio/psych major, but my minor is in media arts and I'm currently working on my second film (technically first feature-length, or more like 6th-10th if you count short sketches/making-of's). I'm using a Panasonic PV-GS300 (high-end consumer grade) as that's the best I can afford at the moment.

its great to see other contactors on here instead of the typical bs of the ones who say "I'm a film (insert posistion here)". I'm actually posting while covering a city event :p

Since a few are advertising, on here is a solo (not through any of the companies I work with) doc I did a few weeks back at a anime con
www.youtube.com/ancentgamer
sorry on my phone so can't direct link.

HELL YEA!

The show that I work on just won and Emmy!

Although I have only been on the show for a little under a year it still feels great to say that I now work on an emmy award winning show!

bread's done
Back