The Future of UMDs?

DarkonJohn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I'm probably not the only one here with a large UMD collection, so I was wondering what everyone else thought about the confirmation that the PSP2 will not support UMDs (which has been partly discussed in the PSP2/NGP threads).

To me, this probably means the death of the UMD format in the not too distant future, and a big part of me thinks "And not a moment too soon!". I've always hated the size and fragility of UMDs, so seeing Sony move to a new format is a good change (I just wish they hadn't created UMDs in the first place...one of their most boneheaded moves ever IMO).

All new games that run on the PSP2 will be released in either the new flash card format or as a digital download. And given the ability to release a full PSP1 game (which will run on both the PSP1 and the PSP2) via digial download, there is really no longer any reason for a company to release new games in UMD format. If people want a physical copy, they can buy a PSP2 and buy the game in flash card format. And if they just want the game for their PSP1, they can buy it on PSN in digital format which will also run on the PSP2 when that person upgrades in the future. The number of people that will only buy a new game if it is available on UMD will be VERY small.

However, I wonder if Sony will do the same thing with the PSP1 that they did with the PS2....keep selling it for another couple of years after the release of the PSP2. Most likely they would drop the price of the PSP1 to something like $150 or $129 (down from $179) and bundle in a couple of games (like they did with the PSPgo) while the PSP2 comes out at $299.

This would mirror the successful model of Nintendo with the DSLite and DSi when they removed the Gameboy cartridge support in the DSi and is similar to what Sony did with the PS2 and PS3 (before they pulled PS2 support from the PS3). It also provides 2 price points, one for entry-level gamers with a limited budget and another for high-end customers that demand the best, allowing them to compete against the Nintendo 3DS, DSi and DSLite (if Nintendo doesn't finally phase it out once they start shipping the 3DS).

But no matter how I look at things, I don't see any viable situation where they would continue to release new games on UMD format (at least in any meaningful quantity) once the PSP2 starts shipping. And between now and then, I don't expect many new games to come out on UMD other than those already scheduled because people would rather buy the PSN version which can then be played on the PSP2.

The one positive outcome I see is that if you are willing to buy UMDs for your existing PSP-1000/2000/3000, you'll probably be able to get some pretty good deals on them in the coming months as the start to clear them out.

One interesting thought I had was whether they might come out with a PSP-4000 which would support both UMDs and the new flash card format. This assumes that some PSP1 games would be released on the new flash card format and could be played on both the PSP1 and PSP2, but I don't think this scenario is very likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think youre right on a lot of points. I think its time to start thinking about joining one of two camps. You either want to dump all your UMDs now and start a collection of DD content for use on the NGP/PSP2 or start keeping an eye out for people dumping their collections, take advantage of their desperation at the death of the format and build a sizeable collection of great titles.

Personally, I am jettisoning my UMDs. Unfortunately, in the short run, this means I have to miss out on titles like Tactics Ogre. I wouldn't say UMD is dead, but its days are certainly numbered.

UMDs are dying, but I've always felt motors are a bad idea in a battery-powered device. That being said, I'm holding onto my UMDs with a deathgrip, because they represent concrete ownership of a game, and I just need to hold onto my PSP if I ever want to play them.

I bought the vast majority of my UMDs used on sale for under $10 each (some closer to $5), so I could probably sell them on eBay and get most of my money back. Then again, that wouldn't be enough to buy the PSN versions, so I'll probably keep them (along with my PSP-2000 and PSP-3000) to play them on.

But for all future game purchases, I'll probably be sticking with downloads. I've been seeing more PSN sales recently, so hopefully the'll keep up the trend. But yeah, it is still hard to resist buying a UMD game at 50-60% off retail.

Sony won't have UMD support for PSP2, which really sucks. Some UMD has exploits, someone can use that exploits and create homebrew on PSP2; of course firmware update will stop it.

I still do hope Sony is working on an external UMD reader for PSP2.

It's annoying, the PSP2 looks great, but I won't be able to play any of my PSP games on it because they are all UMD. I hope Sony does something to allow me to play them. It's a bit unfair to anyone who doesn't own a PSP GO (or use DD).

I have 2 psp's currently...1 CFW, 1 OFW. When the orgiginal psp starts dropping in price/getting clearanced I'll and a couple more to leave as back up's.

[quote name='retro.elite']I still do hope Sony is working on an external UMD reader for PSP2.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hold your breath on an external UMD reader because when the PSPgo came out, there were rumors of such a device but nothing ever materialized. And if they weren't willing to do it for the PSPgo, I don't see why they would do it for the PSP2.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']It's annoying, the PSP2 looks great, but I won't be able to play any of my PSP games on it because they are all UMD. I hope Sony does something to allow me to play them. It's a bit unfair to anyone who doesn't own a PSP GO (or use DD).[/QUOTE]

It sucks, but I'm not sure it's that unfair because it is a different device and things do change, but I do with that Sony had done a better job on the transition like Nintendo has done where each new hardware release supports the previous generation's games. So the DS would play the old GameBoy games and the DS games. And then the DSi would play DS games as well as DSi games (but lost the ability to play GameBoy games). The 3DS will be able to play DS, DSi and 3DS games, so they make it very easy to transition to each new release.

Even the Wii can play GameCube games, so again it is easy to make the transition to the new platform w/o losing your recent investments.

Sony hasn't done such a good job on this front. It would have been much better if they had kept PS2 support in the PS3, and it would be awesome if they had PS2 support in the PSP2, but I'm not sure they have the ability or desire to do this.

But for UMDs, the format was just doomed from day 1. Too big and bulky (bigger than the GameBoy carts), too fragile, and their supposed advantages (capacity/$) were based on theories that ignored Moore's Law. It was also a stupid solution to the idea of "mobile video" that was also based on the same incorrect assumptions about future costs of flash storage costs. I mean come on, do you remember when they were releasing new movies on UMD for $20...often more than the price of the DVD?!?

My guess is that you'll be able to continue to play your UMD PSP games for a few more years because Sony will most likely continue to ship the PSP1 (and maybe the PSPgo) for another year or two because they will both offer a lower price point for the PSP platform than the PSP2, and as long as you stick with PSN digital downloads, your purchases will be forward compatible.

The PSP could hit the magic $99 and stay as a budget level for a year or two. The user base is large enough that it is not going to be gone overnight.

I have no qualms about keeping my 3000 and UMD cases on a shelf. I'm buying all the upcoming big PSP games (Type0, 3rd Birthday, Tactics Ogre, Duodecim) on UMD as well. I really like having physical copies, but I also wouldn't care if everything went digital in the future. There will always be video game merchandise to buy for the game you enjoy, doesn't need to be a disc or case.

It sucks to miss out on BC for the PSP2 because you only have UMDs, but I'm not selling my 3000 so I'll get by.

I think we are spoiled... No one gave a shit when SNES did not have backward compatibility for NES games, we just played them on NES. Anyways, best solution for people with UMDs is... use it gently so it'll last for a while. If not, dump it on Ebay.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I have no qualms about keeping my 3000 and UMD cases on a shelf. I'm buying all the upcoming big PSP games (Type0, 3rd Birthday, Tactics Ogre, Duodecim) on UMD as well. I really like having physical copies, but I also wouldn't care if everything went digital in the future. There will always be video game merchandise to buy for the game you enjoy, doesn't need to be a disc or case.

It sucks to miss out on BC for the PSP2 because you only have UMDs, but I'm not selling my 3000 so I'll get by.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I shouldve caveated my opinion with the fact I just switched careers so I will be living out of hotels a lot more, thus DD has an added benefit.

I do hope they treat it similar to the PS2 and keep up support in its elder years. Im hoping they keep up the minis and PSOne legacy programs up for the PSP even after NGP releases. Itd be nice to not have to switch over right away.

I'm proudly going to keep all my UMD games and continue to play them for years to come. Haven't bought a digital version of a PSP game off of PSN and never will. Not even with NGP. Physical media > everything!

I plan to really beef up my PSP library once these babies start dropping in price. I can't wait. :D

I think UMDs are eventually going the way of the dodo. Sony shot themselves in the foot with movie UMDs by having them overpriced compared to DVDs and what extras (special features) they get.

I will continue to play my UMDs on my 3000, which hopefully will last. If not, I would by another 3000 model if the price was right in order to play my UMD games.

I think Sony will continue to sell the PSP-3000 for at least a couple more years. After all they are still selling the PS2 which I still play every week.

The current $130 PSP-3000 deal on Amazon is a pretty good deal if you are looking for a backup PSP that can play UMDs. I can't imagine that you'll get a new unit for much below that price even after the PSP2 comes out, but there may be some sales that throw in a couple of free games.

UMDs do not have a future and never did. They were basically obsolete five minutes after the PSP launched, but Sony was stuck with them. Now they've got a new handheld and a chance to get rid of them, and they will never, ever mention the dirty secret of UMDs again.

I wish the NGP was backwards compatible, but on a portable, when there's a legitimate reason to switch to cartridges, I can see why it's not.

And since UMD=PSP's discs, yeah, they're dead once the PSP is, which is probably a few years off, but inevitable.

What this means though is I have to buy some spare PSPs! K-Mart had that sale, so I already picked up a spare (along with a copy of God of War: Ghost of Sparta!) so I've got a white one and a black one now...

I wish the NGP was backwards compatible, but on a portable, when there's a legitimate reason to switch to cartridges, I can see why it's not.

And since UMD=PSP's discs, yeah, they're dead once the PSP is, which is probably a few years off, but inevitable.

What this means though is I have to buy some spare PSPs! K-Mart had that sale, so I already picked up a spare (along with a copy of God of War: Ghost of Sparta!) so I've got a white one and a black one now...

I'll still wait until this really happens I mean come on they made a Dreamcast game for pete's sakes.
I plan on buying UMD's as well as long as I see some more releases.
Though I don't plan on the NGP since it will probably end up not getting all the UMD games on PSN or some of the new ones.

I have about 20 UMDs/PSP games and would like to see an add-on device/UMD player for the NGP or the PS3, but I'll keep my PSP 3000 until then.

I only have one movie on UMD (Ninja Scroll). And I don't mind having a shelf of games. I actually like them, and like having a physical copy to own.

UMDs sound Bush era to me.

I like it too. I have to admit it's crossed my mind whether I should put up with downloads just since they're compatible with the NGP...but I think I've pretty well decided to just keep buying retail. For the lack of activation. For the packaging. For the better prices in a lot of cases too!

I've gone PSP crazy of late. Just bought Little Big Planet (from the demo it seemed better than the PS3 version) and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters (just recently played R&C Future, and found it surprisingly fun).

Over the next month or two I'm going to be buying:
-Tactics Ogre
-Parasite Eve 3 (Third Birthday, or whatever weird name they gave it :lol:)
-Ys Book 1 and 2 (which it turns out appears to be an EXCELLENT remake instead of the nasty looking DS remake where they also butchered the controls...this is 2D, has the real controls, and has the CD soundtrack from the Turbograohix version, or something comperable)
-Disgea: Afternoon of Darkness-getting rereleased this month for $25, and...well, I'll probably hate it, but this is the way to play it, and people rave over this series, so...
-Final Fantasy 4: Complete-hopefully this has good graphics like what they did with Final Fantasy 1 and 2 and Star Ocean and Ys, etc., versus the awful 3D of the DS remakes. Either way, it's got the extra content added in, so it's a must buy for me.

I only have 3 or so UMD games, and I wish I had digital copies of them. I wish UMDs came with digital copy like Blu-rays do now, that would make the transition better. I like digital, but at the same time I worry that someday when PSN is a thing of the past, there will be no way for me to re-download my games. I'll be stuck with SD cards with names written in permanent marker.

If they could have UMDs come with digital copy or even a trade in program, I would definitely trade my UMDs in for the game on the flash cart or just a downloadable code. Or, if you could install the whole game from UMD to your PSP2, that would be perfect.

[quote name='jh6269']I only have 3 or so UMD games, and I wish I had digital copies of them. I wish UMDs came with digital copy like Blu-rays do now, that would make the transition better. I like digital, but at the same time I worry that someday when PSN is a thing of the past, there will be no way for me to re-download my games. I'll be stuck with SD cards with names written in permanent marker.

[/QUOTE]

I have to agree.

I hate UMDs (too big, bulky and fragile) but I really like owning a physical copy that I can hold, look at and resell. However, I also love the incredible convenience of digital copies where I can carry multiple games with me without having to keep track of boxes, disks or cards. That said, I probably have 30- 40 UMD games (most of them purchased as used games at a major discount).

In a perfect world I'd be able to buy physical copies, transfer the "license" from my physical copy to a digital copy, and then transfer the license back to the physical copy whenever I want if I want to resell them game. But I know that is a complete fantasy and will never happen.

I guess the next best thing would be if I could at least trade in my physical copy for a digital copy, but I don't think that will ever happen either, so really the only option if you prefer physical copies is to buy backup hardware so you can keep playing your physical games if your main device dies. At least with video tapes and LPs you could make your own digital recordings so you could play the music you owned on digital devices.

It's still kind of a new thing, but I really think that if companies are going to focus on selling digital copies, there more of an obligation on the part of those companies to ensure backward compatibility for playing those games as they release new hardware in the future. Otherwise, we'd own all of these games that we couldn't play again because the hardware is no longer sold and we can't resell the games to someone that still has the hardware that will play the games.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I hate UMDs (too big, bulky and fragile) but I really like owning a physical copy that I can hold, look at and resell. However, I also love the incredible convenience of digital copies where I can carry multiple games with me without having to keep track of boxes, disks or cards. [/quote]

To me downloads are a lot less convenient, because I have to back them up somewhere, have to involve my PC to move them around, etc.

Personally I think UMDs are fine for all that stuff...the case gives protection, I've never had issues with them, and they're actually about the exact same size Gameboy Cartriges, save that they hold 1.9GB instead of 128KB or whatever :lol:

In a perfect world I'd be able to buy physical copies, transfer the "license" from my physical copy to a digital copy, and then transfer the license back to the physical copy whenever I want if I want to resell them game. But I know that is a complete fantasy and will never happen.

I wouldn't mind...actually you know like an "install to disc" thing with UMDs or something, in a perfect world where people were honest and wouldn't install the game and then sell the UMD :whistle2:/

so really the only option if you prefer physical copies is to buy backup hardware so you can keep playing your physical games if your main device dies.

Yeah, I already bought one spare from K-Mart because of that $40 off sale. I feel weird doing it, but... I mean I thought about it, and and it's weird and annoying when if I tried to switch over I'd be able to just sell these and run my NGP, but I could end up with backup hardware for downloads that I can't even use because I can't copy stuff. I don't know...this is a pain, but I don't entirely blame Sony since I can understand switching if cartridges are cheap enough now. I HATE having to have spare hardware though.

It's why I'd really like to ditch one or two of my 'big' systems so that at least I don't have to have as much spare stuff (and spare controllers, and...). I wish other people cared as much as I do about maintaining access to old games. Activation would already be dead and buried, and every system would have perfect backwards compatibility. DANG. I really did standardize on PS2 because of its backwards compatibility...

bread's done
Back