The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

[quote name='Snowcone']I have 25 to do today including Pinball of the Dead. I haven't seen scans for Sword of Mana but if someone directs me to them I will gladly do them.[/quote]

Pinatamonkey did the box scans for Sword of Mana, he's also got some more out on his site: http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/pinatamonkey/GBA scans/

This is a great idea. I hope to be getting FF: DoS in a couple of days, so if no one scans it by then, I should be able to. Also, it would be great if someone can scan in a Phantasy Star Collection box since I bought mine used without one. Keep up the good work.

[quote name='discopenguin816']If someone could make one for
Final Fantasy 1 & 2
Stuntman
that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

Get the boxes scanned and I will.

Looks awesome, unfortunatly....now that they're all hosted on snackbar, I cant see them at work....oh well...they look great at home though,

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Looks awesome, unfortunatly....now that they're all hosted on snackbar, I cant see them at work....oh well...they look great at home though,[/quote]

now that Snowcone has really run with this, i gues its better that he just host them all. perhaps I'll mirror them on my site when i get back in town on the 26th. you're not the only one who has had this problem, so hopefully I can help.

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Looks awesome, unfortunatly....now that they're all hosted on snackbar, I cant see them at work....oh well...they look great at home though,[/quote]

now that Snowcone has really run with this, i gues its better that he just host them all. perhaps I'll mirror them on my site when i get back in town on the 26th. you're not the only one who has had this problem, so hopefully I can help.[/quote]

If you want to I can zip them up for you and also generate an alternate link in the BBCode to your site.

[quote name='Snowcone'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Looks awesome, unfortunatly....now that they're all hosted on snackbar, I cant see them at work....oh well...they look great at home though,[/quote]

now that Snowcone has really run with this, i gues its better that he just host them all. perhaps I'll mirror them on my site when i get back in town on the 26th. you're not the only one who has had this problem, so hopefully I can help.[/quote]

If you want to I can zip them up for you and also generate an alternate link in the BBCode to your site.[/quote]

That's up to you as far as doing the code; it's fine with me the way it is. Its just that some CAGs have work environments where commercial sites are inaccessible through their company computers. I think that's why they are able to view my files and not yours...

[quote name='Snowcone']Wait, why can't people see them on my site from work?[/quote]

I work for GE....super firewall. Your site is on a gaming list....

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='Snowcone']Wait, why can't people see them on my site from work?[/quote]

I work for GE....super firewall. Your site is on a gaming list....[/quote]

That sucks, but it is nice to know we are big enough to be on a firewall list :)

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='Snowcone'][quote name='organicow'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Looks awesome, unfortunatly....now that they're all hosted on snackbar, I cant see them at work....oh well...they look great at home though,[/quote]

If you want to I can zip them up for you and also generate an alternate link in the BBCode to your site.[/quote]

That's up to you as far as doing the code; it's fine with me the way it is. Its just that some CAGs have work environments where commercial sites are inaccessible through their company computers. I think that's why they are able to view my files and not yours...[/quote]

PM the path where you are going to dump these images and I will set up the script to output 2 sets of BBCode.

[quote name='Snowcone'][quote name='kaw']Pinatamonkey did the box scans for Sword of Mana, he's also got some more out on his site: http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/pinatamonkey/GBA scans/[/quote]

Unfortunately the only spine scan on that site is the Harvest Moon one which won't display or open in PS as it says the file may have been truncated. I can start the covers but having the spine is pretty integral.[/quote]

Sorry 'bout that. I had the sides scanned the other day... set them to upload via FTP. My connection must've dropped in the middle of transferring. The sides are up for real now.

[quote name='Snowcone'][quote name='discopenguin816']If someone could make one for
Final Fantasy 1 & 2
Stuntman
that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

Get the boxes scanned and I will.[/quote]

I don't have a scanner.

Here's a request I will probably get laughed at for :D Would anyone be willing to make covers for Pokemon Sapphire and Pokemon Pinball? Those are the only ones from my (rather small) GBA collection that, AFAIK, you fine people haven't already made covers for :) Thanks in advance!

[quote name='PRMega']Here's a request I will probably get laughed at for :D Would anyone be willing to make covers for Pokemon Sapphire and Pokemon Pinball? Those are the only ones from my (rather small) GBA collection that, AFAIK, you fine people haven't already made covers for :) Thanks in advance![/quote]

we're willing to make covers for anything, so long as we can get scans of the covers - can you get us those?

harvestmoon_thumb.jpg

Hi Res Image: http://www.snackbar-games.com/cone/images/gbacovers/harvestmoon.jpg

lufia_thumb.jpg

Hi Res Image: http://www.snackbar-games.com/cone/images/gbacovers/lufia.jpg

pokemonsapphire_thumb.jpg

Hi Res Image: http://www.snackbar-games.com/cone/images/gbacovers/pokemonsapphire.jpg

swordofmana_thumb.jpg

Hi Res Image: http://www.snackbar-games.com/cone/images/gbacovers/swordofmana.jpg

[quote name='evilmax17']What program have you all been using to print these? Just got my DS for Xmas, and now I'm gonna do this for real.[/quote]

Any graphics program should do. I use Photoshop.

First let me say thank you to all you guys providing these. They are awesome.

I am down for providing scans of all the games I have that you don't have ones done for yet. FF1 & 2, All Super Marios, I can't even remeber what else I have that you guys don't already But I have all my boxes and would love to help. Please let me know what res you want and which parts you need. Fronts, backs and sides? Can anyone provide their .ai or.psd file as a template so I could even make some myself?
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']First let me say thank you to all you guys providing these. They are awesome.

I am down for providing scans of all the games I have that you don't have ones done for yet. FF1 & 2, All Super Marios, I can't even remeber what else I have that you guys don't already But I have all my boxes and would love to help. Please let me know what res you want and which parts you need. Fronts, backs and sides? Can anyone provide their .ai or.psd file as a template so I could even make some myself?
-G[/quote]

I can post instructions and the action files I use in photoshop to create these. Typically I scan the front, back, and side of the box. Scan them in at 300dpi.

Instructions:
1. Trim off the edges of the scan. This is to remove any worn edges of the box.
2. Reside the front and back of the boxes to 1535x1370.
3. Clean the side image up to be used for the spine of the cover.
4. Resize the spine to 190x1370 and paste this into the image and align it to the very top. Shift your spine image around until it looks good.
5. Create an image that is 3260x1370 and copy and paste the previous 3 images into it and align them end to end. Save it and you are done.

The thumbnails I create are 360x151 at 72dpi. Everything else is 300 and sometimes 350 since a lot of heavy liquid's scans were 350dpi.

Nice! I'll try to dig out all my old boxes tonight and start scanning. I know I can get FF1 & 2 tonight cause I just got that yesterday. Thanks for the tips!
-G

Stupid Noob question but I've never been able to get the align in PS to work properly. I can get it to work just fine inillustrator but when I'm in PS it doesn't seem to line up properly. Any tips? Do I align the layers or selections or what?
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']Stupid Noob question but I've never been able to get the align in PS to work properly. I can get it to work just fine inillustrator but when I'm in PS it doesn't seem to line up properly. Any tips? Do I align the layers or selections or what?
-G[/quote]

When you paste them into the 3260x1370 blank image you it should snap the front and back covers into place up against the edges of the canvas and if you made everything the right size, the spine will paste into the new image centered and not need to be moved. Make sure you save them with a quality of 10 in Photoshop as 11 or 12 is much too large of a file.

If you need to you can always use the arrow keys to nudge the layer or selection to line them up in the event that the above method doesn't work.

If I scan in some boxes can I email them to someone so they can put them up on a server? I thought about sites like photobucket, but they have size limitations. Thanks.

Wow, snowcone. I ordered 40 DS cases for all my GBA games a week or two ago, and thought I'd have to make most of them myself. Your covers are amazing. I'll take a picture of all my games in your new cases and host them.

[quote name='Snowcone']I suppose if this gets really popular I can build a real page for it along with searchable info.[/quote]

Do it man, this is a really neat idea. I said it before, but you guys should email this to all over the major game magazines and websites. Having that kind of exposure could have people all over the country making their own GBA/DS covers. Who knows, Nintendo might even jump on this!

[quote name='organicow']we're willing to make covers for anything, so long as we can get scans of the covers - can you get us those?[/quote]

Well, thanks to Snowcone, I've got at a Pokemon Sapphire scan :) But try as I might, I can't find the back cover for Pokemon Pinball, and I no longer have the box for it. Here's hoping someone else out there happens to have it. Keep up the great work, guys!

[quote name='kaw']If I scan in some boxes can I email them to someone so they can put them up on a server? I thought about sites like photobucket, but they have size limitations. Thanks.[/quote]

Sure.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='Snowcone']I suppose if this gets really popular I can build a real page for it along with searchable info.[/quote]

Do it man, this is a really neat idea. I said it before, but you guys should email this to all over the major game magazines and websites. Having that kind of exposure could have people all over the country making their own GBA/DS covers. Who knows, Nintendo might even jump on this![/quote]

I think you might be getting a bit ambitious, but yeah, we should spread the word on this.

I nearly finished the FF1&2 box this AM. I forgot to take the GBA logo file Snowcone posted home with me last night. Without that there's no uniformity. I'll have it done tomorrow AM. Just didn't want anyone else working on that one too since there are so many to do.

On another note the Final Fight One box I have was a used one from EB and has sticker gunk all over it. I have the back and sides fine but no front. SO any help with that one would be appreciated!
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']Another Question. Why is the file size so low on the Zelda LTTP cover? Should it be redone at a higher res or...???[/quote]

It is kind of low res and a little grainy.

Cool. I can redo that one if necessary. Oh bTW, those instructions you gave are great, Snowcone. Everything lined up great. I'm kicking myself for not taking that file home to finish this one.
-G

[quote name='simplygriff']I nearly finished the FF1&2 box this AM. I forgot to take the GBA logo file Snowcone posted home with me last night. Without that there's no uniformity. I'll have it done tomorrow AM. Just didn't want anyone else working on that one too since there are so many to do.

On another note the Final Fight One box I have was a used one from EB and has sticker gunk all over it. I have the back and sides fine but no front. SO any help with that one would be appreciated!
-G[/quote]

I guess I should have posted that I sent FF I & II to Snowcone last night. Sorry about that. Maybe your version will be better. :wink:

[quote name='kaw'][quote name='simplygriff']I nearly finished the FF1&2 box this AM. I forgot to take the GBA logo file Snowcone posted home with me last night. Without that there's no uniformity. I'll have it done tomorrow AM. Just didn't want anyone else working on that one too since there are so many to do.

-G[/quote]

I guess I should have posted that I sent FF I & II to Snowcone last night. Sorry about that. Maybe your version will be better. :wink:[/quote]

I can compare them and see which one comes out cleaner overall and then post that one. For anyone that has created these covers, make sure I know who you are so when I finish the page on my site I can give credit to the original author.

[quote name='kaw'][quote name='simplygriff']I nearly finished the FF1&2 box this AM. I forgot to take the GBA logo file Snowcone posted home with me last night. Without that there's no uniformity. I'll have it done tomorrow AM. Just didn't want anyone else working on that one too since there are so many to do.

-G[/quote]

I guess I should have posted that I sent FF I & II to Snowcone last night. Sorry about that. Maybe your version will be better. :wink:[/quote]

Gaaackkkk!!! Oh well. I'll finish it up tonight since I'm so far along with it anyway. I'll probably do COntra Advanced next since I'm pretty sure I didn't see that one yet. Or maybe Mario 1 or 2.
-G

[quote name='Snowcone'][quote name='simplygriff']Another Question. Why is the file size so low on the Zelda LTTP cover? Should it be redone at a higher res or...???[/quote]

It is kind of low res and a little grainy.[/quote]

Yeah, that was one of the original batch of cases i made, and i couldn't find the box. So, I just used pics from cdcovers.cc, which are not as good as reg scans. I did that way before I realized that others would actually give a shit about this; I thought I was just making the covers for myself... :lol:

If anyone has that box and would like to redo it, feel free!!

I'm on it! That's a pretty important game to add to the collection. I'll try to put together a list of things I can do with the boxes I have tonight as well. No point in people doing stuff twice!:D
-G

Would anyone be interested in doing this for F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Megaman Battle Network 3: Blue , and Sword of Mana? I can get the covers scanned at 300 dpi if need be.

I know I don't have any of those games. I may be able to do it but I want to do the ones I have first. Anyone else?...
-G

[quote name='Mij']Would anyone be interested in doing this for F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Megaman Battle Network 3: Blue , and Sword of Mana? I can get the covers scanned at 300 dpi if need be.[/quote]

Sword of Mana is available on page 11 of this post. I have some requests:

Baseball Advance
Driver 2
Earthworm Jim
Final Fight
Invicible Iron Man
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX
Mega Man Zero 2
Metal Slug Advance
NHL 2002
Pac-Man (Classic Nes Series)
Spider-Man Mysterio's Menace
Spider-Man: The Movie
Spider-Man: The Movie 2
Star X
Super Dodge Ball Advance
Super Mario Bros. (Classic NES Series)
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Tomb Raider: The Prophecy
X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse

I have the boxes but I just moved out of my house so it could be quite awhile before I get to them. Seriously though THANKS guys for these. Once I saw this thread I wanted to make covers as well since I already do something similar for my PS2 Demo Discs. Thanks to Organicow and Snowcone especially since half of my collection is already finished now.

[quote name='jkam'][quote name='Mij']Would anyone be interested in doing this for F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Megaman Battle Network 3: Blue , and Sword of Mana? I can get the covers scanned at 300 dpi if need be.[/quote]

Sword of Mana is available on page 11 of this post. I have some requests:

Baseball Advance
Driver 2
Earthworm Jim
Final Fight
Invicible Iron Man
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX
Mega Man Zero 2
Metal Slug Advance
NHL 2002
Pac-Man (Classic Nes Series)
Spider-Man Mysterio's Menace
Spider-Man: The Movie
Spider-Man: The Movie 2
Star X
Super Dodge Ball Advance
Super Mario Bros. (Classic NES Series)
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Tomb Raider: The Prophecy
X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse

I have the boxes but I just moved out of my house so it could be quite awhile before I get to them. Seriously though THANKS guys for these. Once I saw this thread I wanted to make covers as well since I already do something similar for my PS2 Demo Discs. Thanks to Organicow and Snowcone especially since half of my collection is already finished now.[/quote]

I can do the 3 Super Mario Bros. That's all I have other than my Final Fight ,that's messed up on the front, from that list.
-G

Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Battle aren't working for me. It says the file is corrupt - Maybe you can re-upload them?

bread's done
Back