The Genres you loved, but CAN'T STAND NOW!

leveskikesko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
For me it's the RPG.

Been replaying some of my favorites, and although the nostalgia allows me to enjoy them for the most part I just can't help but feel like I am wasting insane amounts of time.

There are some amazingly rewarding moments, but in the end it just feels like they require too much effort to attain thanks to the grinding(aka fighting the same foes over and over to get stronger)required. To add to that irritating feeling, I also don't feel any real challenge because I either feel like I leveled up too much making the game unenjoyably easy or leveled up too little requiring me to level up more, which isn't fun for me. It's almost like RPGs aren't sure of themselves as games, so they force you to decide what kind of game they are. For me action adventure games deliver the thrills much more often, with much less work. In each RPG I feel like I have to relearn everything, where as in other games I like everything in the gameplay comes naturally.

Of course some RPGs may have entertaining stories. However, I feel a bit stupid when I come to the realization that I could be enjoying a movie with a better story, without having to suffer through gameplay that's clearly not for me. The RPG is just a punishing experience overall for me.

How about the rest of you? Sorry if I offended any RPG fans, any genre is fair game....

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't play like... 99% of RPGs now. But I think that's more because the genre has gotten shittier over time rather than changing tastes...

I used to sorta like the occasional sports game like NBA Jam or NBA Hangtime, but the games just bore the shit out of me after 10 minutes now.

Most JRPGs, I guess. I can still play an old one and enjoy it, but I don't think that's just a matter of nostalgia. I can enjoy a horribly clichéd game if it was the game that created the cliché, yeah?

EDIT: SRPGs not included, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
First-person shooters used to be half of the games I played. When they all became console exclusives (or shoddy PC ports) and I had to either play with a gamepad or mouse acceleration that's impossible to disable, they all-but-completely left my queue.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']None for me. My taste has stayed pretty much the same since I started playing video games. Any genre that doesn't involve girls with dicks [/quote]

What

Almost all sports games.

I used to love games like baseball stars, nba jam, ken griffey jr,(the 1st one) and some others. Its a shame than none of them have that arcadey feel to them anymore, now its only sim games.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']First-person shooters used to be half of the games I played. When they all became console exclusives (or shoddy PC ports) and I had to either play with a gamepad or mouse acceleration that's impossible to disable, they all-but-completely left my queue.[/quote]
This. The original XBOX marked the decline of my interest in FPS.

Definitely racing games with me. When I was a wee lad these games were the only ones I played, now though I abhor them. I believe my discontent with them began when I became more interested in FPSs and RPGs (both western and japanese) and realized that games should actually have storylines.

Fighting games are the genre I don't play anymore mainly because I get really frustrated playing them, and I don't get into the strategy part of them anymore like I used to. I'm too much of a button masher now, plus I don't think my hands have the same dexterity to pull of some of the insane combos/special moves that fighting games require.

I also find it extremely difficult to get into JRPGs. The last one I had any significant playtime on was Persona 3, and then I just stopped playing the game and never felt like resuming. I don't know if I played too many JRPGs when I was younger, or if the genre has gotten stale. I do play fewer RPGs overall because of how much time they can take to complete, and how I will lose patience in trying to complete them.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Futanari can be added to any genre.[/quote]

23721.jpg

most all JRPGs are awful nowadays. Unless they're portable, or portable ports of JRPGs from 10 years ago. Those are still good.

Actually most all of what Japan puts out these days is pretty awful. They just haven't done anything new since the playstation 1 days, really.

Capcom and Nintendo are excluded from this blanket statement of criticism.

[quote name='jer7583']most all JRPGs are awful nowadays. Unless they're portable, or portable ports of JRPGs from 10 years ago. Those are still good.

Actually most all of what Japan puts out these days is pretty awful. They just haven't done anything new since the playstation 1 days, really.

Capcom and Nintendo are excluded from this blanket statement of criticism.[/quote]
No love for Grasshopper or Vanillaware?

Odin Sphere was tedious and repetitive once you got past the brilliant art, unfortunately. I played about 10 hours and couldn't take any more. The last 2-3 were just torturous.

Contact I really liked and still own, just never put the time into to really get very far yet. One of those "pile of shame" games for me.

Hopefully Muramasa for Wii is a bit more actiony and tones down the unnessecary RPG bits from Odin Sphere. Also note to the japanese:

CUT THE FAT

CUT THE FAT

CUT THE FAT

There is ZERO excuse for the way they turn 6-10 hour games into 25-30 hour ones. The repetition and tediousness are killing their otherwise brilliant efforts. If you need to add that fluff content, make it optional after the game finishes. I blame Kojima's fame and influence on much of this, also needing to say your game is a certain length.

Also Killer 7 and to a lesser extent No More Heroes were great looking and sounding games that had pretty bad gameplay.

Being a big Ninja Gaiden fan, NMH's combat was just tough to suffer through for the awesome boss fights. Also the little errands you had to do were dumb padding that didn't need to be there. Focus on the boss fights in NMH2 with more creative ways to setup a kill and less cannon fodder enemies and boring minigames.

Like so many others have said, JRPG's. They have just gotten baaaaaaaaad. I'm also bored to tears with most SRPG's as well. I just don't have the heart in me to grind anymore.

Yeah, most modern JRPG's have sucked or been mediocre at best. I still find myself playing the remakes I get on the DS and stuff, but everything that's come out on the 360 has bored me, last gen had some goodies, most notably DQ8 and Shadow Hearts Covenant. I also don't have as much time or attention span to fully immerse myself in an RPG in general anymore unless it's REALLY REALLY good

JRPG's, Strategy RPG's, and Fighting games.

JRPG's have just gotten so tedious and boring and with my school and work schedule, its hard to find time to complete them. Exceptions were Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata, I enjoyed those.

Strategy RPG's just do not pique my interest anymore. I used to love the genre back when FFT and Front Mission 3 were the big names, but I tried Disgaea and was turned off by the "infinite" gameplay. I need SOME linearity.

Fighting games don't do it for me anymore since I don't spend a lot of time with friends who play games. And even the ones who do come over, I would probably end up beating them on them because they don't have the game, and what fun is that?

I'm going to say RPGs in general...

Traditional RPGs are have become really... stupid. The whiney ass characters (pretty much all JRPGs), the lack of emphasis on story (pretty much everything), the general rush of too many RPGs from one series (Tales series), and some games that just feel like they're just dragging on without reason (FFXII). And they usually feel half assed when it comes to audio and video (slowdown, bad graphics, bad music, etc.). We've seen some great traditional RPGs this generation though like the Shadow Hearts series and Kingdom Hearts and the SMT series so, it's not all bad.

I'm not too big on opened ended RPGs but a few seemed good in theory but bad in execution (like buggy or clunky gameplay). But I have yet to play Mass Effect and Fallout 3, both of which are supposedly much better. Plus, it's nice because most of them are really flexible... you can do as little or as much as you want.

Man, screw ALL of you guys. Bring on the traditional JRPGs straight from 1998. And leave plenty of grinding fat. It cuts out the weak. Level grinding is almost never necessary in the main game. Not even in Disgaea. You fail at challenging games if you have to grind, but its there so you can still succeed despite your shortcomings.

One thing I dont like about them these days though is that everyone is making their RPGs action instead of turn based, and AI team based instead of full player control. And quit locking additional difficulty modes until after the game is beat. Those should all be available from the start. Of course if all you have are the games that have come out on the HD systems, I can understand why you're turned off to the genre.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Man, screw ALL of you guys. Bring on the traditional JRPGs straight from 1998.[/quote]If the game was actually made in 1998, then fuck yeah I'll play it.

If it's made now and tries to imitate a game from 1998, then it can go piss off.

Console RPGS, really. I just don't have the patience to sit around through all the dialogue and text and turn-based battles and overlong animation. Portables I can handle, because I can have the TV on in the background or something. But I can't do it on consoles anymore unless the game is really, really engaging.

Maybe if the writing was above toddler level fare in any RPG, it'd be okay.

fucking awful, that. Every time.

Turn based Japanese RPGs. I used to love playing them, but I just can't stand them anymore. I still enjoy action RPGs like the Tales and Kingdom Hearts series.

Of course there are a few exceptions, for example I'm really looking forward to playing the DS port of Chrono Trigger.

RPG's in general, it doesn't matter if it's a JRPG, "western" RPG, strategy RPG, turn-based, etc. I just can't enjoy them like I used to. That and I find myself having less and less time to game, so I can't really afford to get into a 40 hour epic anymore.

Same for baseball games. I used to love them but now can't stomach them.

Music games - For a time, I loved the first two Guitar Heroes, but the milking of the franchise killed it for me. I don't have an interest in games that are rehashed every single year with only minor differences.

Platforming - Used to really like them, but the puzzle elements mostly piss me off nowadays. Probably a lack of patience. I still enjoy some of them from time to time. i.e. Mirror's Edge.

Fighting - Not sure why, I just outgrew them. My friends stopped caring about them and I slowly did as well.

Racing Games.

Space Sims.

Tower Defense games. I know, I know, people love em, but I've seen them hashed and rehashed so many times over my lifetime.

sports games... i think the last madden game i owned was 2002, i'd much rather play madden 96 on my sega... or tecmo bowl, or any other sports title on my NES or Sega than a current gen.

i always ended up being a perfectionist... if a game didn't turn out the way i wanted it to in the season, i'd just not save and start over... and usually half way through the season i'd find a different team i wanted to be and start another season. i have Video Game ADD.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Console RPGS, really. I just don't have the patience to sit around through all the dialogue and text and turn-based battles and overlong animation. Portables I can handle, because I can have the TV on in the background or something. But I can't do it on consoles anymore unless the game is really, really engaging.[/QUOTE]

This sounds about right.

And I'm sick of the goddamn music game trend. I remember people shitting on me for loving GH1. "It's too expensive... Go learn real guitar... That's stupid..." Yeah... all those fuckers who said that are sucking Harmonix dick right now.

JRPGs would be mine as well, but it really includes any turn based game, especially menu based turn based games. It's just no fun to just pick commands and watch fights occur.

I still like RPGs like Oblivion, Mass Effect etc. that have a real time combat system, but I have a hard time playing them as well as they just take so much time to finish and I don't have much free time these days along with a waning interest in gaming.

Sports games would be another. The sim games have just gotten to complicated and require too much knowlege of plays, formations etc. to do well.

Fighting games also don't do it for me anymore. I just have no interest in skill based games that require practice these days--again a consequence of limited time/waning interest. I just want stuff I can jump in and have fun.

I also don't dig platformers much anymore and those use to be my favorite. And while not a genre, I'm pretty much sick of most of the Nintendo franchises after playing iterations for 20+ years.

So basically all I really enjoy these days are FPS and the occasional western RPG. Maybe the occasional puzzler on the DS (about all that console is good for anymore with my current tastes).

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but I would have to have to say JRPGs. Its sad to admit the genre I loved the most when I was younger has definitely dwindled over the years.

Racing games has gotten to bland for me. And platformers need to to go back to 2d.

On the greener side, fighting games has always been my favorite. I can always pick it up and enjoy it.

Add another to JRPGs, although I am looking forward to Persona 4, and luckily it comes out during a time when I will be PS3-less, which is perfect for a jrpg.

I am looking forward to the online stuff they have mentioned in WKC, I feel like good online play is all they need to do to bring the genre back (obviously the bad ones will still be bad)

I can't play a lot of RPGs now I mean sure the stories aren't going to be great but sometimes they just don't try with anything...

also newer plat formers the level design is just so bland now a days

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Man, screw ALL of you guys. Bring on the traditional JRPGs straight from 1998. And leave plenty of grinding fat. It cuts out the weak. Level grinding is almost never necessary in the main game. Not even in Disgaea. You fail at challenging games if you have to grind, but its there so you can still succeed despite your shortcomings.[/quote]

I loved disgaea 1 and didn't grind until the optional bosses, but then I played 2 and even without grinding it was too easy because mages were so overpowered (and everything else relatively underpowered).

FFT is still the best example of a game that challenges you to think strategically in each fight instead of grinding, which sometimes doesn't even work. Disgaea 1 and 2 do it a little, but the puzzles are mainly you looking around for the right block to destroy. I haven't played disgaea 3, but I assume it's the same.

Now it's pretty much only SMT games (Persona 4 in a few weeks :applause:) that make you think strategically in battles, even choosing a weapon in Persona 3 meant something, and Nocturne you need to plan a whole team (it sucks when you get to a dark area and realize you don't have anyone even in reserves with a light spell the first time).

Anything turn based. I won't say RPGs on the whole because I absolutely loved Super Paper Mario as an Action Sidescrolling RPG, and in a way Zelda games are ARPGs. TBRPGs only piss me off because the battles take too long and there's usually a miserable amount of monotonous grinding.

And as for pokemon, I have my own little way around that.

Then there's:
Wrestling (used to love playing these with my cousin back in the day, but wrestling in itself was more interesting back then instead of vaguely homoerotic action soap operas)

Racers (Mario Kart's on the line here. I like it, but it CHEATS)

Side scrolling 2d platformers. I can still do the shooters, but the fail/pass/fail precision jump timing crap of the platformers has gotten to be excessively annoying.

Also agree on JRPG's.

Strategy JRPGs for the most part. I used to pick all the good ones up, like I do with JRPGs, but I find most of them too slow-moving, boring, and the battle systems are almost all pretty much the same. Valkyria Chronicles was a godsend.

a couple of genres i begrudgingly tolerated due to no other options, but now absolutely can't stand are:

Platformers (2D and 3D)
Puzzle Games

this stems from my hatred of jumping. i play games because they are fun, and nothing is more UN-fun than a f-ing jumping puzzle :censored:

Rpgs...even though Pokemon is the only one that ever held my interest

Platformers/Shooters (1st & 3rd person)/Survival Horror (ala condemned) are all great, imo.

I would have to go with Fighting Games.

I use to love playing them but the button mashing that goes on nowadays just makes me mad. I just don't have the time to dedicate to strategies against people that don't even let you get a hit in.

bread's done
Back