The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came back from HPB and the sales clerk said they were having a 20% off all comics, graphic novels and manga this weekend (4/25 - 27).  As usual, YMMV.

That's strange they would have 20% off comics this weekends, next Saturday (May 3rd) is Free Comic Book Day. Most HPBs will be giving a free comic with any purchase. They usually have kids stuff: Simpsons, Batman Adventures, Spider-Man Adventures.

I had a strange experience again at HPB earlier this week. The game did not have a sticker inside and I was told they can not get the game. The sticker has the date where the game is located in the drawers and the only way to find the game would be to look through every disc to find the game. This is the second time this happened, I would expect they would have a better organizational system than that. I suggested to look in the date that's on the price sticker and the woman said she wouldn't do that.

On the plus side I got the Daredevil Underboss Hardcover for $9.99, I love the randomness of HPB pricing, any other time it would be $20 or $30, but that day...$9.99. So...yay for me.

Just came back from HPB and the sales clerk said they were having a 20% off all comics, graphic novels and manga this weekend (4/25 - 27). As usual, YMMV.
I saw this as well. I won't be updated thread title for it (non-gaming) but I will add it to the OP.

That's strange they would have 20% off comics this weekends, next Saturday (May 3rd) is Free Comic Book Day. Most HPBs will be giving a free comic with any purchase. They usually have kids stuff: Simpsons, Batman Adventures, Spider-Man Adventures.
Thanks for the reminder of free comic book day, and yeah, that's usually how HPB participates.

Alrighty guys get ready because its back.

Monday & Tuesday 7/14 & 7/15 = 40% off your highest priced item
Wednesday & Thursday 7/16 & 7/17 = 20%
Friday & Saturday 7/18 & 7/19 = 30%
Sunday 7/20 = 50%

Scan07082014022621_001_1_1_1.jpg

Budz, don't forget to update the title. ;)

I hid some games last week lol, hope they didn't find them. :evil: :D/ :whistle2:$

Shame you can't hide those 25th Anniversery packs of Super Street Fighter. Would love to have that for just 30. I'll settle for a decent old rpg.

Alrighty guys get ready because its back.

Monday & Tuesday 7/14 & 7/15 = 40% off your highest priced item
Wednesday & Thursday 7/16 & 7/17 = 20%
Friday & Saturday 7/18 & 7/19 = 30%
Sunday 7/20 = 50%

I hid some games last week lol, hope they didn't find them.
Sweet, this is honestly one of my favorite in-store sales. If you don't find any gaming stuff, at least there's a bunch of cheap books and action figures up for grabs. I'm lookng for Pokemon this time around, but people don't part with those games too often. :/

Has anyone had success with the coupons? I only ask because I'm in Iowa, haven't received any coupons, and haven't seen anyone use them while I've been waiting in line. Are they regional?

If you sign up for the mailing list and enter your info,, after form submission you get the coupons with the dates printed.

Thank you.

And sorry for the dumb question. We just got a store in my area and saw some anime that I'm interested in when I was in there last week.

Went to two stores so far.
Picked up:
A bunch of books for the wife
Lincoln blu-ray

Left behind:
Tomb Raider xb1
Xbox 360
Ps3

Going to one more store tp hopefully find something for myself.

Heh. I totally forgot about this. Had a friend come in yesterday and he specifically asked to go to HPB. Instead of putting the one expensive item I found on hold, I bought it. At least I had a 15% off coupon, so it wasn't a total loss. 

Found a very nice copy of Cube Twilight Princess $50 - $20 at my local HPB; my first time at the store.  The selection is pretty small, but the store is nice and clean even though it's in a iffy area.  

I also found a OK condition black Wii for $50... any recommendations for or against heading back and trying to snag it tomorrow?  I mainly collect select Ninty gear, but the "modding" capabilities of the Wii seem intriguing - that and Brawl/Xenoblade/Retro Games through the eshop also sound fun.

Found a very nice copy of Cube Twilight Princess $50 - $20 at my local HPB; my first time at the store. The selection is pretty small, but the store is nice and clean even though it's in a iffy area.
Let me guess, was that the HPB on Camelback and 21st St? I was just there today, saw the TP, was tempted by it, but I bought Guardian Heroes instead with the coupon. This store also had the black Wii for $50, so just stabbing in the dark here...

As for the Wii, if it is the CGN compatible model, at $30 pre tax it's pretty good, especially if it comes with all the accessories. I'd say go for it.

Found a very nice copy of Cube Twilight Princess $50 - $20 at my local HPB; my first time at the store. The selection is pretty small, but the store is nice and clean even though it's in a iffy area.

I also found a OK condition black Wii for $50... any recommendations for or against heading back and trying to snag it tomorrow? I mainly collect select Ninty gear, but the "modding" capabilities of the Wii seem intriguing - that and Brawl/Xenoblade/Retro Games through the eshop also sound fun.
That wii might be a good price the one over has a white with no wires no sensor bar for $45 so in comparison great deal :)

This sale was a bust this time around. I didn't go to the one where I hid some games though, will go to that one tomorrow

My pickups.

The Saboteur 360 -$4.80 will return

Dexter season 1 Blu ray - $7.50

Dexter season 3 Blu ray - $7.50

ICP Carnival of Carnage -  $3.20

Boss Hogg Outlawz vol 2 - $3.20

Let me guess, was that the HPB on Camelback and 21st St? I was just there today, saw the TP, was tempted by it, but I bought Guardian Heroes instead with the coupon. This store also had the black Wii for $50, so just stabbing in the dark here...

As for the Wii, if it is the CGN compatible model, at $30 pre tax it's pretty good, especially if it comes with all the accessories. I'd say go for it.
Yep!!! I'll hope it's there tomorrow maybe, will do some more research until then.

After some more researching I'm super sold, sounds like a PSP in terms of potential in console form! No one snatch it before I do :)

found the street fighter 25th anniversary chess set that retailed for $400 when it first came out for $99. With the 40% coupon, I came away with it for 59.99+tax. Damn impulse buy -.-; its also brand new still sealed.

found the street fighter 25th anniversary chess set that retailed for $400 when it first came out for $99. With the 40% coupon, I came away with it for 59.99+tax. Damn impulse buy -.-; its also brand new still sealed.
Damn, there was one of those by one of my stores... hmmmm I must resist.

Westerville, OH store has a black label FF VII tagged at $29.99 if anyone in the area is looking for one.

Picked up an AssCreed 1 360 CE for $18. Tin is dented, but its complete.

Yep!!! I'll hope it's there tomorrow maybe, will do some more research until then.

After some more researching I'm super sold, sounds like a PSP in terms of potential in console form! No one snatch it before I do :)
Hope it was you who picked up the Wii, didn't see it there when I went back there for the second 40% off day. Grabbed Aria of Sorrow (cart only obviously) for $15 after the coupon. May pick up a couple more GBA games there for the other days, had a decent selection.

I did snag the wii in the morning, it's not bad shape, complete, but some scratches on the sides --  also not a bad price on AoS.  I miss my GBASP -- too bad i cant find them in good condition anymore.

Decided to check out one of my stores tonight.  They had a PSP go for 69.99 but it looked a little beat up.  I did pick up battlefield 4 Xone for $18.  I also found a copy of Zelda Twilight Princess for $14 for the Wii.

I hit up one of my local stores on Monday afternoon and the only thing of interest I found was Pokemon: The First Movie on DVD for $7.99 (which I was pretty happy to find since it's OOP).

....until I got up to the register and noticed a SNES Mini among the other consoles under the counter!
Got it for $29 after coupon. :D

I got a 500GB PS3 with controller and hookups for $75 today. Can't believe someone didn't snatch it up sometime before I got off work.

bread's done
Back