The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what blows? I spent about $30 on Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Phantasy Star Portable, and Valkyria Chronicles II on PSP about three weeks ago...And to think I could have gotten them for about $20 if I waited.

I actually had a good find. 

I found a Zelda Skyward Sword Wii Remote Bundle in complete condition. 59.99.

I used the 20% coupon to drop it, but I might go back Sunday with the 50% off and return/rebuy, depending if I find something else.

Had a horrible experience with that bundle. The day it came out, I was debating getting it or the regular edition of skyward sword. I finally decided to go with the bundle. I drove to Kmart at 820am (20 minutes after opening) and the cashier said some guy came in and bought all 5 they got in. Was absolutely livid. Never was able to get it, then it skyrocketed in price.

I figured that my HPB would be totally gutted by now but I stopped by and it turned out that they had put half of their games on $2 clearance and randomly dropped the prices on a lot of other games. $5 for BlOps2 360, $5 for Nier, $15 for the RE4 tin, etc.

Sorry for the horrid picture. Picked all this up for $110 and already flipped the NBA Homecourt on down for $80 at GS. Pretty happy with HPB for once.

pECAO1M.jpg

I actually had a good find.

I found a Zelda Skyward Sword Wii Remote Bundle in complete condition. 59.99.

I used the 20% coupon to drop it, but I might go back Sunday with the 50% off and return/rebuy, depending if I find something else.

Had a horrible experience with that bundle. The day it came out, I was debating getting it or the regular edition of skyward sword. I finally decided to go with the bundle. I drove to Kmart at 820am (20 minutes after opening) and the cashier said some guy came in and bought all 5 they got in. Was absolutely livid. Never was able to get it, then it skyrocketed in price.
If you try the return/rebuy, let us know how that works out for you. Having worked at HPB (and having been a customer of much longer), that strikes me as a very YMMV situation. I'm genuinely curious if they'd let you do it.

I would have just put it on hold and come back Sunday. I've hear rumors that some of our local stores changed their hold durations to 24 hours but I'm pretty sure the official word is 7 days. For a chain, HPB is the most loosey goosey with regards to rules and policies I've ever worked for.

Sadly, the HPB in my location either had no games that interested me or I already played them. 

Barely a game haul, but still good findings none the less. Green being what I payed w/o tax:

KidRobot x Street Fighter: 2P Sagat - $5 -> $3.5

Kingdom Hearts 2 Goofy Bookmark - $1

Kingdom Hearts 2 LE Guide Book - $10 -> $7

Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi (CIB/Black Label) - $30 -> $15

Turtle Beach XP Seven (Everything but the instructions manual) - $130 -> $85

~ I was hyped since I've been eyeballing this specific headset for awhile. Sadly, I returned them within 3 hours after purchase. For a headset that retails almost $300, the microphone was horrible and picked up the smallest noises possible. Encase anyone wanted to grab them, I returned them to the HPB in Schaumburg , Illinois. The amplifier itself was awesome, but the earpads just clenched the crap out of your ear. I originally bought these in Bloomington(?) and it seemed like someone dropped off their whole MLG dreams into this store, lol. So yeah saw this headset and a Roxio HD GameCapture for $70. 

On another note, I saw Catherine a couple days ago but it seems like someone grabbed it before me today.

Grabbed a 4gb 360 slim with all hookups and two controllers for $50 after coupon. My kid is getting Disney Infinity 2.0 for Christmas and now he play without bogarting mine.

Sad that I wasn't able to stop by my local during this coupon sale, oh well.  Last time I stopped by there were only a couple of items I had my eye on, but nothing high dollar anyways.

Are there any other regions with active coupons for this week, or was this for all regions last week?

I ended up getting a Wii Mini complete in box with Mario Kart Wii for $30 after coupon on Sunday. System is in great shape as well. That is about all I found.

Picked up a stack of nintendo power and star wars (insider/collector/etc) issues for 25 cents each. I also got a Parasite Eve 2 guide and an Advance Wars Dual Strike guide for $2 each.

For some reason I was thinking there was a black Friday coupon for 40% off one item.

Did they do that in past years or something?

Found AssCreed Unity xbo for $30 today. Too bad I already have it.

For some reason I was thinking there was a black Friday coupon for 40% off one item.

Did they do that in past years or something?

Found AssCreed Unity xbo for $30 today. Too bad I already have it.
they did last year but this year there is only this:
First 100 early birds get a tote & $5 Gift Card. One tote bag will contain a $100 gift Card*
Coupons will include: $5 off purchase of $25 or More or $15 off purchase of $50 or More

Yeah I just got the email as well, not going to bother with HPB though for BF, though the free $5 gift card isn't bad if you live close enough to one. I doubt people are going to be lining outside their door anytime soon.

I can tell an old CAG sold some stuff at my local store. They had the "in the movies" with camera game that was free at BB and a sealed singstar bundle that clearanced out at SEARS way back. There were a lot of bad condition uncommon PS2 games as well.

I can tell an old CAG sold some stuff at my local store. They had the "in the movies" with camera game that was free at BB and a sealed singstar bundle that clearanced out at SEARS way back. There were a lot of bad condition uncommon PS2 games as well.
Those kind of items often get sold to HPB from the other stores, from what I understand.

Now the challenge is for me to find something to take the 20% off of. I've been around the Phoenix HPs and didn't find much to buy period.
Unfortunately, I've had the opposite problem as of late. Granted, the video games have been really sad, but I usually go for records, books and laserdiscs. I don't think I've made it out of there for less than $75 in quite some time.

Major score this time.  Coupon was only a slight bonus.  Original XBOX new in box for $40 after coupon.  I saw it last night and did not buy it.  When I told him, a friend pointed out my error and I sent my wife with coupon at open today to pick it up.

Now the challenge is for me to find something to take the 20% off of. I've been around the Phoenix HPs and didn't find much to buy period.
Agreed. The Phoenix one's suck.

Me and my friend went out shopping for Amiibo's and wound up in Mesa near the Superstition Springs mall.

We went to the HPB near Best Buy has a great selection of games for a bunch of console.

I saw

LoZ: Ocarina of TIme

Hereoes of Mana

LoZ: Phantom Hourhglass

Kingdom Hearts DDD

and lots of other games.

I scored Zelda 3DS and Heroes of mana. $15.99 and 11.99 after the coupon was used.

Thx to the OP, she let me use the coupon on my phone.

Agreed. The Phoenix one's suck.

Me and my friend went out shopping for Amiibo's and wound up in Mesa near the Superstition Springs mall.

We went to the HPB near Best Buy has a great selection of games for a bunch of console.

I saw

LoZ: Ocarina of TIme

Hereoes of Mana

LoZ: Phantom Hourhglass

Kingdom Hearts DDD

and lots of other games.

I scored Zelda 3DS and Heroes of mana. $15.99 and 11.99 after the coupon was used.

Thx to the OP, she let me use the coupon on my phone.
They're prolly all gone by now. Funny thing is it's not all that far from where I work. Maybe I'll check it out and see what's left.

They're prolly all gone by now. Funny thing is it's not all that far from where I work. Maybe I'll check it out and see what's left.
They had a lot of old school PS2 titles there as well like Atelier titles and I think a Mana Khemia that may have been a Collectors Edition one too. I didn't look at the 360/Ps3 titles but i did see some good ones compared to the other HPB like the one on Camelback.

Also she let me pull up the coupon on my phone, didn't need to have it printed up. Thanks CAG for having it.

Let me know if you find anything good. Sale ends today.

Might be a hidden gem store as the video game section wasn't crowded. They even had a Zelda 3DS for $150.

Nice to meet a fellow Phoenix Area CAG.

I like going to Bookmans, but I kind of like the slight hidden finds of HPB, since not a lot of typical customers realize that they sell games there.  I like raiding the clearance section (though the Camelback store I used to frequent hasn't been well stocked as previously) and the high tier products with coupons, both where I get the best deals IMO.

They had a lot of old school PS2 titles there as well like Atelier titles and I think a Mana Khemia that may have been a Collectors Edition one too. I didn't look at the 360/Ps3 titles but i did see some good ones compared to the other HPB like the one on Camelback.

Also she let me pull up the coupon on my phone, didn't need to have it printed up. Thanks CAG for having it.

Let me know if you find anything good. Sale ends today.

Might be a hidden gem store as the video game section wasn't crowded. They even had a Zelda 3DS for $150.

Nice to meet a fellow Phoenix Area CAG.
Likewise. ;)

If you live in AZ, doesn't bookmans still exist? Those are basically hpb.
Well...sort of. They tend to be more expensive especially on books. On video games every now and then you can catch a good deal. Also, they give more trade credit to you than HPB so I suppose that's why they're higher.

Got a complete Pokemon Diamond today and that was it out 4 stores lol. They had nada. At least Diamond was complete and had a unused CN code.

Since this is the official thread, there are HPB coupons starting 30% today, 30% March 12, 40% March 13, 40% March 14, and 50% this Sunday March 15 in store only.   Coupons attached[attachment=12963:HPB-MARCH15.pdf]

I love HPB.  Last weekend I picked up paperback guides for Ghostbusters, Spirit Tracks (sealed), Phantom Hourglass, and FFVII !!

An employee mentioned this upcoming sale to me cause they had a  

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past Comic  there.  

I'd had never seen one so I obviously had to look through it.

Then I saw the price---$149.99...hence he mentioned the sale.

I was hoping they would have a sale again. Will be going this weekend again.

Scored some cheap ds games. cant wait.

Since this is the official thread, there are HPB coupons starting 30% today, 30% March 12, 40% March 13, 40% March 14, and 50% this Sunday March 15 in store only. Coupons attached
attachicon.gif
HPB-MARCH15.pdf
Weird. Coupons are not normal percentages and never got an email for this one. Don't have time to update OP right now but will later.

I didn't get an email on any of my accounts. Maybe it is regional? I usually get 2 physical mail and 3 emails of the coupons (because I am too lazy to unsubscribe).

I think in the past the discounts were released earlier to some regions. I live in IL and usually we get the discounts later. Nevertheless, these coupons should work just fine.

bread's done
Back