The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
How much are the 3DS priced at?

I live near the one in Robinson, and they rarely have anything decent in stock. Always a lot of interesting things at the one on McKnight when I get a chance to stop out there.
Priced $99.99 so $49.99 if you use the big coupon

How much are the 3DS priced at?

I live near the one in Robinson, and they rarely have anything decent in stock. Always a lot of interesting things at the one on McKnight when I get a chance to stop out there.
Yeah, when I'm down in Pittsburgh and stop at the McKnight store they usually have something worth picking up.

Do you guys think it'd be good to go ASAP or wait until Sunday (when, probably, most of the good stuff is gone.)

I work at the Monroeville store and we are well stocked for the sale.

3 3DS XL (Black/ Blue/ Red)

3 Wiis

2 N64s

1 original Xbox

1 PS2 Slim

1 360

1 Sega Genesis

iPad (I forget gigs and generation)

16 gig iPod touch
Goodness gracious, I need a plane ticket to Monroeville, stat!

My little rinky dink HPB in my rinky dink city doesn't ever have much in the way of games and systems. :(

Do you guys think it'd be good to go ASAP or wait until Sunday (when, probably, most of the good stuff is gone.)
Depends. If you know you want something there and don't want to take a chance, then get it now. I have such a huge backlog that I don't bother checking what they have, and be surprised when I get there Sunday with what they do have.

Do you guys think it'd be good to go ASAP or wait until Sunday (when, probably, most of the good stuff is gone?
Go early. Hold* item. Return Sunday. Profit.

*YMMV on the hold. Used to be they'd hold stuff seven days but I think that was still at the store's discretion. There really aren't hard fast rules when it comes to HPB.

If your local won't hold the copies, I've always just bought them at their base price and then return on the desired coupon day with the return and rebuy with the coupon process.  Haven't had a problem with that yet, other than having to go twice to buy one item.

If your local won't hold the copies, I've always just bought them at their base price and then return on the desired coupon day with the return and rebuy with the coupon process. Haven't had a problem with that yet, other than having to go twice to buy one item.
You know, of the 8 years I shopped there I've never tried that. Hmm... :whistle2:k

Can anyone who has the calendar coupons do me a favor? I think there's a code for hpb.com that expires this month. Can someone let me know what that code is? Thanks.

Got my coupons in the mail, sale starts November 2nd and ends November 8th

2nd Mon - 20%
3rd Tue - 20%
4th Wed - 30%
5th Thur - 30%
6th Fri - 40%
7th Sat - 40%
8th Sun - 50%

Should be getting your coupons soon in the mail and/or email.

Picked up a legit cart copy of Minish Cap for $14, I was going to wait until higher discount tiers, but I didn't want to come down on the weekend to this location.

At that same spot (on Camelback in Phoenix for locals), they have a good condition copy of Gale of Darkness for the Cube (base price $39.99), if you are interested in getting it at 50% off for a hold on Sunday.

Ended up hitting the four half-price books in my area today. Ended up using the coupon multiple times and ended up paying full prices for some games that I'd been looking to find for a while.... mostly PS1 titles.

This was my haul today:

- PS1 Breath of Fire IV  - Complete (Disc almost in mint shape) - $23.99.. half-off for ~$12

- PS1 Wild Arms - Complete (Disc almost mint, case has small crack) - $14.99... half-off for ~$7.50

- PS1 Wild Arms 2 - Complete (Discs in mint condition) - $14.99

- PS1 - Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - Complete (Disc in mint condition - $9.99

- PS1 - Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare - Complete (Discs in almost mint condition - $14.99... half-off for ~$7.50

- PSP - Lunar Silver Star Harmony - Complete - $14.99... half off for $7.50

- PSP - Star Ocean: Second Evolution - Complete - $14.99

- PSP - Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Complete - $9.99

- PSP - Untold Legends: The Warriors Code - Complete - $4.99

- PS3 - Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds - Complete - $12.99... Half-off for ~$6.50

- PS3 - Captain America: Super Soldier - Complete - $9.99... Half off for ~$5.00

- PS3 - Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010 version) - $9.99... Half off for ~$5.00

- Xbox 360 - Two Worlds - Complete - $9.99... Half off... ~$5.00

- Xbox 360 - Two Worlds II - Complete - $4.99

- Playstation 2 - Obscure The Aftermath - Complete - $5.99

- Nintendo DS Lite - Black w/ Charger and GBA Port Cover - (Unit has some scratching on the lid, but is otherwise fine) - $29.99.. half off for ~$15.00

I also grabbed the following on clearance.

$3 clearance

- Halo Combat Evolved - Anniversary Strategy Guide

- PS3 - Risen 2 Dark Waters (Complete)

$2 clearance

- Xbox 360 - Big Bumpin' - Complete

- Xbox - Fight Club - Complete

- Xbox - Amped - Freestyle Snowboard - Complete

- Xbox - Star Wars Clone Wars / Tetris Worlds - Complete

- Xbox - Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions - Complete

- Xbox - Speed Kings - Complete

- Xbox - Crash n' Burn - Complete

- Xbox - Capcom Fight Evolution - Complete

- Xbox - Call of Duty 3 - Complete

One I went to had tons of JRPG's for the PS2 out... where I got the PS1 ones from... and I missed out on a complete copy of Azure Dreams when I went back to it for a second time. Just too much stuff for me to buy at full retail price. I jumped on the PS1 stuff because that really is becoming hard to come by.

Great sale and a great day!

Game stuff was pretty picked over or still more than I was willing to pay. (Guy who prices the games at my old store is a gamer and a bit optimistic with the price gun.) I got the In Search Of soundtrack on vinyl for $20. Believe me, I am pleased.

Picked up a legit cart copy of Minish Cap for $14, I was going to wait until higher discount tiers, but I didn't want to come down on the weekend to this location.

At that same spot (on Camelback in Phoenix for locals), they have a good condition copy of Gale of Darkness for the Cube (base price $39.99), if you are interested in getting it at 50% off for a hold on Sunday.
Hahahaha! I wonder if that was the one I had (and returned) when I bought one for $30 (was originally priced at $50). I was at that Camelback and PV Mall one and first time I actually didn't use my coupons. Too bad...Mesa's selection was pretty good but again...not much I cared to spend money on and wasn't there for 40% since I took some "vacation" days...some days off of work those were. Ugh. At least I got to binge a little bit on Trails in the Sky SC.

A decent HPB haul for me over the weekend.  I can't go crazy like I used to but managed to pick up a few ok scores:

Nintendo Wii w/two motion plus wii motes, two nunchucks, and hookup (even had 4 rechargable AA batteries in the controllers)- $24 after coupon

Metal Gear Solid- The Twin Snakes (GC)- $30 after coupon

Borderlands Handsome Collection (PS4) $17.50 after coupon

I had been looking for a good price on an extra Wii for a while so that was great (now my 6 year old and his friends won't hijack my tv to play mine).  Also a great deal on Twin Snakes as the cheapest I have found it over the past 2 years was over $60.

20% off everything today. Surprised no-one mentioned that yet. Of course, you've missed the annual "free totes and one has a loaded gift card" lottery by now.

[quote name="HappySnappy" post="13122949" timestamp="1451164747"]think i picked my hpb clean when i got mgs5,uncharted collection and dqh ps4 on 50% off, ill check today though.[/quote]
Do you have multiple coupons? I thought the coupons were for 1 item...?

Got my coupons in the mail, sale starts March 14th and ends March 20th

14th Mon - 20%
15th Tue - 20%
16th Wed - 30%
17th Thur - 30%
18th Fri - 40%
19th Sat - 40%
20th Sun - 50%

Got my coupons in the mail, sale starts March 14th and ends March 20th

14th Mon - 20%
15th Tue - 20%
16th Wed - 30%
17th Thur - 30%
18th Fri - 40%
19th Sat - 40%
20th Sun - 50%

I have coupons for this week. Apparently it's split based on region again. My 40% ones go today and tomorrow.

I haven't received my HPB coupons yet and there are a few games that 40% off would make worth grabbing. 

I got my coupons. The code looks specific as it looks different than past coupons.  My codes are the same for every day.

Never been to a half price books but one just opened up. What type of deals can I expect?
When they have 50% off coupons you can get some decent deals. Different stores will sometimes have wildly different pricing, my sister got a GC compatible Wii with 2 remotes, a balance board, all cables and sensor for $15 after a 50% coupon last year.

Ymmv. I went to half price books that had already the spring mailer sale last week and they honored the coupon because they said people received the wrong ad. I grabbed Alekhines Gun for $25 locked in a trade at Amazon for $25 for a cheap/free rental.

Personally I find my 4-5 regional HPB stores price used games (and movies) so high that even with half off you can usually find a better deal on new (or digital) copies if you look around and are patient. They occassionally have better deals (with coupon) on collectables or big movie/tv bundles but HPB seems so out of synch with going rate prices on the usually older games that trickle down to them. Granted Im usually seeing current gen stuff so maybe last gen is a treasure trove (but I doubt it).

Picked up the new star wars complete saga on blu ray for less than $40 after coupon.I thought that was a good deal till i saw the going rate on ebay.

bread's done
Back