The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if these are great of a deal, but I got;

Nintendo New 3DS XL Fire Emblem Fates Edition for about $160 (It was practically brand spanking new! Included box in great shape/manual and AR cards still in plastic)

Pokemon X for $16

I've been looking for a 3DS for awhile, specifically a limited edition one, so I thought I had a decent buy. I haven't had a Ninendo Product since the DSi Lite.

I don't know if these are great of a deal, but I got;

Nintendo New 3DS XL Fire Emblem Fates Edition for about $160 (It was practically brand spanking new! Included box in great shape/manual and AR cards still in plastic)

Pokemon X for $16

I've been looking for a 3DS for awhile, specifically a limited edition one, so I thought I had a decent buy. I haven't had a Ninendo Product since the DSi Lite.
crap never though of looking at systems

Sega Master System with cords, controller. Also came with the light gun, the 3D glasses adapter, a Genesis controller, and the Genesis master system adapter (power base converter).

37.50 with coupon.

Got my coupons in the mail, sale starts March 13 and ends March 19

13th Mon - 20%
14th Tue - 20%
15th Wed - 30%
16th Thur - 30%
17th Fri - 40%
18th Sat - 40%
19th Sun - 50%

Should be getting your coupons soon in the mail and/or email. Possible some peoples started already depending on the region or the week after.

The HPB sales are typically nationwide, unless there's a new store opening or special event in a particular region, in which case they would run this deal in that region only.

Hopefully it's not the latter, but yeah, I'm still waiting for my coupon too, so fearing the worst. :p

The HPB sales are typically nationwide, unless there's a new store opening or special event in a particular region, in which case they would run this deal in that region only.

Hopefully it's not the latter, but yeah, I'm still waiting for my coupon too, so fearing the worst. :p
Not always. Several times in the past few years there have been coupons for either the Midwest or the rest, and then the following week the other section gets them.

Sweet, I was wondering when they would have a sale again.

Remember to put some money aside for this sale as i have two in the Phx area I can check out.

Not always. Several times in the past few years there have been coupons for either the Midwest or the rest, and then the following week the other section gets them.
It's worth noting that often times these coupons work nationwide though. So if someone posts them you may be able to use them in your local store (which is kind of nice because in many cases you get a week or two head start before the coupon for that store which is always busier).

It's worth noting that often times these coupons work nationwide though. So if someone posts them you may be able to use them in your local store (which is kind of nice because in many cases you get a week or two head start before the coupon for that store which is always busier).
Correct. I remember several people using the other part of the country's coupons in their part.

Aren't the coupons one-time use? When my brother and I get coupons, they're always two different codes

I've never had an issue using coupons more than once. In fact, today is the fourth time I've used a 15% off birthday coupon and the cashier didn't even look at it, he just asked if I had a "10 or 15". It's been about ten years since I worked at HPB but, it sounds like their coupon process is still the loosest of any retail place I've ever worked.

Edit: the one exception to the rule is when it states "X% off one item", you can only use it on one item at that time. Most of these sales run like this. However, you can still use that coupon again in a second transaction.

New coupons this week. Join mailing list to receive coupons.

7/10-7/11 20% OFF Highest price item.

7/12-7/13 30% OFF Highest price item.

7/14-7/15 40% OFF Highest price item.

7/16 50% OFF Highest price item.

If you plan to use them, you might want to keep them to yourself. The coupons have unique codes this time. I did a quick comparison with my email.
that doesn't matter, since you can probably use them infinite times like always, one near me suggests i can even use it at the other one in town if want to.

Just got the email for the coupon % off deals. Texas

Nov. 6,7 - 20%

Nov. 8,9 - 30%

Nov. 10,11 - 40%

Nov. 12 - 50%

Got my 50% coupon and used it many times yesterday at multiple stores by just showing it on my phone. Got Tales of Berseria and Battlefield 1

Black Friday all items are 20% off - no coupon required.

picked up a bunch of stuff throughout the week with the coupons. 

Notable ones include: 

Skyward Sword Wiimote (gold) $20

white ps3 super slim 500gb $75

GTAV special edition (the one with the steelbook) $15

PS2 DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 $30

none of those deals were crazy cheap, but they were all items I had on my hit list.

I grabbed a ps2 with 3 controllers and a multitap for 20 bucks, that was enough for me. I traded all mine in to gamestop a while ago so this was a nice way to get one back.

There's a 20% off entire purchase promotion going on this weekend at my store.

I almost bought the red Gears of War Xbox 360 for $50, before coupon, until I saw I saw how horrible the condition was of the controller. They said it worked but I doubt it. There was a crunch sound when pressing a few buttons lol.

I've had some ok finds with half Price, that one in awhile 40% off day can be really good
I heard there should be another round of coupons being sent out sometime in March.

One of the stores i stopped at today i took a couple of the walmart 3 cents games i had and i decided to try and see what they would give for Rocket League for the switch. No wonder why i haven't every seen any switch games in stores yet, they offer some pretty crap prices, basically offered $4 for rocket league which i like fuck that.

I heard there should be another round of coupons being sent out sometime in March.

One of the stores i stopped at today i took a couple of the walmart 3 cents games i had and i decided to try and see what they would give for Rocket League for the switch. No wonder why i haven't every seen any switch games in stores yet, they offer some pretty crap prices, basically offered $4 for rocket league which i like fuck that.
There's currently a 20% off coupon if you are on their mailing list, online code is UNITE20, the codes for scanning in store appear to be unique (I have 2 emails on their list and got 2 diff codes), they're good through the 19th

There's currently a 20% off coupon if you are on their mailing list, online code is UNITE20, the codes for scanning in store appear to be unique (I have 2 emails on their list and got 2 diff codes), they're good through the 19th
Yeah i had used that today, but next month there should be the 30, 40, 50% coupons they have every so often. I usually make a round to all the stores in my area with the 50% off is going on.

i traded some books and picked up some games a month ago, recently i went to the same place and they completely changed their gaming section, there was no more games behind the glass, very little controllers, no gameboy games when they had a bunch.

Just got my coupon email as well.

What's the strategy here?  Just wait until the last 2-3 days to use the biggest coupons?  Or go a little earlier to get in ahead of everyone else?

My local comicon is this weekend, so I don't know if that's going to clean my HPBs out, or if it's going to fatten their stock.  These coupons seem like either really good timing or really bad timing for me.

I always go in on the 20 and 30% days. Nothing i really want ever lasts till the 40 and 50% days, and the store is always jam packed.

A few times i have been lucky and they stocked new stuff on those days, but usually everything i was sitting on buying is long gone

I got the death note complete manga book on 50% last time, he had just put it out ten minutes before

I always go in on the 20 and 30% days. Nothing i really want ever lasts till the 40 and 50% days, and the store is always jam packed.

A few times i have been lucky and they stocked new stuff on those days, but usually everything i was sitting on buying is long gone
They hold stuff for you. You could easily go in earlier in the week and ask them to hold something and then pick it up on the 50% off day.

They hold stuff for you. You could easily go in earlier in the week and ask them to hold something and then pick it up on the 50% off day.
Was not aware of that, the employees rarely ever seem to offer help unless you ask them specifically here. I'm kinda surprised they would allow you to do that on a sale week though

Was not aware of that, the employees rarely ever seem to offer help unless you ask them specifically here. I'm kinda surprised they would allow you to do that on a sale week though
They have in the past a whole bunch. Might still be ymmv but they are supposed to.

They are specifically not supposed to hold stuff during a sale week.
Kinda figured. I tend to buy a lot of books based on historical artists/designers/illustrators so theres not much competition on those unless they are really valuable. But anything related to Film/Television (Especially Disney/Pixar), or Anime/Gaming goes like instantly here.

I have seen multiple sets of books by Blizzard, Capcom, or any other big company go within a day here. I even saw some Megaman, Monster Hunter, and various Capcom Tribute books all sell out within the course of a few hours (I sent friends back to get some and they were gone).

bread's done
Back