The Hobbit (3/19/13) - Worldwide Exclusives

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Here are the worldwide exclusives for The Hobbit, which releases on March 19th. All worldwide releases are region free. I've specified whether it's 2D or 3D next to each retailer. This is a wikified thread so please add any other exclusive you find

U.S. and Canada

Best Buy andBestbuy.ca (2D) - Exclusive lenticular slipcover featuring Bilbo and Gollum cover (Bestbuy.ca version shown below), and a CinemaNow code for access to a 30 minute exclusive documentary feature: "A Hobbit's Tale Part 1: The Journey Begins". Possibly on disc too.

UPDATE: The code for A Hobbit's Tale Pt 1 is multi-use. Enter HOBN94B89AAF708 on Cinemanow.com to watch it!

M2204073.gif
+
7857055_sb.jpg

Target (2D) - Exclusive Packaging with Lego Figurine and Exclusive featurette

14461794_130219203000.jpg

Futureshop (2D) - Exclusive Steelbook packaging

hobbitfs.jpg

Walmart (2D) - Exclusive Digibook packaging (also at Walmart Canada)

0079404316460_300X300.jpg

WBshop.com
(2D) - Comes with exclusive 8" x 40" Panoramic Poster

iipsrv.fcgi

Europe/U.K.

Amazon France

3D Steelbook, and choice of three 2D Steelbooks

rszhobbit.jpg

Amazon Germany - Exclusive Steelbook packaging

51Huj%2BLNvUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon Italy (2D or 3D) - Exclusive hardcover book included

hobbititaly.jpg

Amazon UK (2D) - Exclusive Steelbook Packaging

516ICs3wqRL._AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have the Best Buy exclusive, Amazon.UK Steelbook and Amazon.FR Gollum Steelbook pre-ordered. I am a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan, so I gotta have all 3!

[quote name='TealPavelski']I currently have the Best Buy exclusive, Amazon.UK Steelbook and Amazon.FR Gollum Steelbook pre-ordered. I am a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan, so I gotta have all 3![/QUOTE]

you going to pass on the Walmart exclusive digibook?

[quote name='neoz']For those that pre ordered at WM the Vudu copy is available to stream. :)[/QUOTE]

I got a notice from Vudu this morning that my Digibook has shipped. :D

How much did the France one come out to be in US?

[quote name='TealPavelski']I currently have the Best Buy exclusive, Amazon.UK Steelbook and Amazon.FR Gollum Steelbook pre-ordered. I am a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan, so I gotta have all 3![/QUOTE]

[quote name='henry00x']you going to pass on the Walmart exclusive digibook?[/QUOTE]

I really don't care for the Digibook's.

[quote name='SMBScooby']How much did the France one come out to be in US?[/QUOTE]

It was around $34 I think. Not too bad. I'm most likely going to keep it mint in package.

[quote name='Xellos2099']MAN really tempting with WBshop $23 3d version.[/QUOTE]

How do you see it for that price? I have the vanilla amazon one ordered that I'll gift once the extended set come out.

[quote name='doubledown']Anyone know the 3D price at Best Buy? Did we get rid of the weekly ad threads?[/QUOTE]

$27.99 (credit: shadylpete's post on bluray.com)

Gollum gets on a sweet cover, and he's in the film like 45 minutes, at best. However, not a single cover is dedicated to Thorin Oakenshield. :whistle2:(

[quote name='GhostShark']Gollum gets on a sweet cover, and he's in the film like 45 minutes, at best. However, not a single cover is dedicated to Thorin Oakenshield. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Gollum's arguably the best part of the movie, and one of the most iconic characters from the Hobbit/ LOTR universe. There's 2 more movies for Thorin to grace a cover on, this is the only opportunity for Gollum to do so.

Damn, I could care less about the exclusives - I'd just like to get it cheap (like sub-$15 on blu-ray). Looks like that isn't happening though, even if I get the RZ 500 point offer (which has yet to post for me even though I used their stupid Facebook app to vote in a poll). Well, it would be $14.99 if I count the 500 points ($10 in RZ certs) as applying to the movie. I'd be more willing to bite if the movie was $16-$20 - not sure at $25 though.

[quote name='io']Damn, I could care less about the exclusives - I'd just like to get it cheap (like sub-$15 on blu-ray). Looks like that isn't happening though, even if I get the RZ 500 point offer (which has yet to post for me even though I used their stupid Facebook app to vote in a poll). Well, it would be $14.99 if I count the 500 points ($10 in RZ certs) as applying to the movie. I'd be more willing to bite if the movie was $16-$20 - not sure at $25 though.[/QUOTE]

what has yet to post?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Gollum's arguably the best part of the movie, and one of the most iconic characters from the Hobbit/ LOTR universe. There's 2 more movies for Thorin to grace a cover on, this is the only opportunity for Gollum to do so.[/QUOTE]

Gollum could very well be in the third 'Hobbit' film, seeing as the majority of that film (if not the entirety of it) will take place between 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings'... there's already a fan film about Gandalf and Aragorn trying to find him before Sauron does (before 'Fellowship'), but maybe Jackson and Co. will do something similar.

Gollum is also awesome, so there's THAT!

[quote name='io']Damn, I could care less about the exclusives - I'd just like to get it cheap (like sub-$15 on blu-ray). Looks like that isn't happening though, even if I get the RZ 500 point offer (which has yet to post for me even though I used their stupid Facebook app to vote in a poll). Well, it would be $14.99 if I count the 500 points ($10 in RZ certs) as applying to the movie. I'd be more willing to bite if the movie was $16-$20 - not sure at $25 though.[/QUOTE]

Walmart will have the BR/DVD/UV version for $18.96, according to bluray.com

[quote name='ssjmichael']what has yet to post?[/QUOTE]

The 500 RZ point offer on my "Active Offers" page at myrewardzone.com (for using the Facebook app and voting in a poll). I think I said pretty much that already ;).

[quote name='DWulf']Walmart will have the BR/DVD/UV version for $18.96, according to bluray.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I have a $25 Walmart gift card from Coke Rewards. I might have to use it on this - only problem is it means going to Walmart and it is pretty far away. But maybe I can order it online for delivery to a Fedex store (free shipping that way).

[quote name='io']The 500 RZ point offer on my "Active Offers" page at myrewardzone.com (for using the Facebook app and voting in a poll). I think I said pretty much that already ;).[/QUOTE]

You weren't too clear about what you were waiting to post. People ususally wait for points to post with RZ, not an offer. I'm not sure why it matters whether it's on your offers page though, It doesn't show up there for anyone as far as I know. As this is an offer for people that use the fb app, it's advertised on their facebook page.

Best Buy's updated prices:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [BD+DVD+UV] - $24.99 - BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE WITH SPECIAL PACKAGING
- All formats include nearly 2 hours of bonus content with access to a sneak peak of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [BD+DVD+UV] - $21.99
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [3D+BD+DVD+UV] - $27.99

I don't understand why the BB Exclusive is $3 more than the vanilla BD.

Wish I hadn't missed that WBShop deal. I can't decide where to get this. Maybe I'll hold out for the European Steelbook, I dunno.

Going to wait until the extended triolgy is out to pick up these titles. I'll just grab a redbox copy if I want to watch any of the films until it comes out.

Feel like a caveman but who has the best DVD price? Want to pick this up for my mom. I see Target has $14.99 online but $16.99 on the ad...

Well the Wal-Mart digibook is ringing hp at $29.96. That was a hard pill to swallow..website shows $26.96, can't remember what the print ad says, but $30 is too damn high! Will def be going back later for a price adjustment.

edit: damn, print ad shows $22.96..boy did I get ripped! Guess that is the price you pay for showing up at 6:15am, not knowing the facts and only having a self checkout lane open. The $23 is a much nicer price..

[quote name='token2k6']Well the Wal-Mart digibook is ringing hp at $29.96. That was a hard pill to swallow..website shows $26.96, can't remember what the print ad says, but $30 is too damn high! Will def be going back later for a price adjustment.

edit: damn, print ad shows $22.96..boy did I get ripped! Guess that is the price you pay for showing up at 6:15am, not knowing the facts and only having a self checkout lane open. The $23 is a much nicer price..[/QUOTE]

i hope your going back to get a price adjustment.

Since I had Amazon Instant-Video credit and I used on the Hobbit this weekend, looks like I'm going to wait for the extended cut later this year for an actual physical copy of the film. Hopefully Thorin makes it on the cover there :p

Yeah, beware Walmart and the price ringing up on the digibook. Just went into mine here on the West Coast and it rang up $29.96 as well. However the lady grabbed one of the Sunday ads and after I showed her the correct price she adjusted it to $22.96 and the register then took another $3.00 off for a price adjustment? So walked out of there with it after tax for $21 and change.

Anyone familiar with this Walmart policy of taking additional money off for a price adjustment?

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Scores! I got the Digibook for $22.96 w/o issue.[/QUOTE]

lucky. the B**** at my walmart wouldnt do a price match because she knew what an exclusive was.

[quote name='seether254']lucky. the B**** at my walmart wouldnt do a price match because she knew what an exclusive was.[/QUOTE]

Pricematch? That's the advertised price for the exclusive digibook this week.

[quote name='seether254']lucky. the B**** at my walmart wouldnt do a price match because she knew what an exclusive was.[/QUOTE]

lol... Where in CA are you? It was an ordeal for me but I managed to get the correct price.

[quote name='lawdood']Yeah, beware Walmart and the price ringing up on the digibook. Just went into mine here on the West Coast and it rang up $29.96 as well.[/QUOTE]

Weird. At Target we had the same issue where the non-3D Bluray was still at full price. Thankfully I caught it before we opened.

[quote name='Kazuya']Feel like a caveman but who has the best DVD price? Want to pick this up for my mom. I see Target has $14.99 online but $16.99 on the ad...[/QUOTE]

That's strange. If it is cheaper on the website, take it to guest services and they can match it (as silly as it sounds).

[quote name='DWulf']Walmart will have the BR/DVD/UV version for $18.96, according to bluray.com[/QUOTE]

So did this not happen? I am seeing it as $24.96 on the web site. Is the $18.96 pricing only in store? On the other hand, the Digibook version is showing as $26.96 online (which is half way in between the store price and the ad price). It was my plan to order the $18.96 one for delivery to a FedEx store since I don't live near a Walmart.

Apparently Costco has it for $18.99 and I need to go there anyway tonight or tomorrow. Maybe I'll just do that. Though I was hoping to use a $25 Walmart gift card I otherwise have no use for.

[quote name='io']So did this not happen? I am seeing it as $24.96 on the web site. Is the $18.96 pricing only in store? On the other hand, the Digibook version is showing as $26.96 online (which is half way in between the store price and the ad price). It was my plan to order the $18.96 one for delivery to a FedEx store since I don't live near a Walmart.

Apparently Costco has it for $18.99 and I need to go there anyway tonight or tomorrow. Maybe I'll just do that. Though I was hoping to use a $25 Walmart gift card I otherwise have no use for.[/QUOTE]

The weekly ad shows it as $18.96 - maybe the price is only in-store, but that would be weird. I don't see anything in the ad saying it's an in-store only price. Maybe the prices on that are messed up as well? Sounds like the price on the Digibook was also messed up in-store today. If you happen to have a Nebraska Furniture Mart near you, they actually have the cheapest price for the BR/DVD/UV version at $17.79.

[quote name='GhostShark']Gollum gets on a sweet cover, and he's in the film like 45 minutes, at best. However, not a single cover is dedicated to Thorin Oakenshield. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='ssjmichael']Gollum's arguably the best part of the movie, and one of the most iconic characters from the Hobbit/ LOTR universe. There's 2 more movies for Thorin to grace a cover on, this is the only opportunity for Gollum to do so.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='larrythefatcat']Gollum could very well be in the third 'Hobbit' film, seeing as the majority of that film (if not the entirety of it) will take place between 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings'... there's already a fan film about Gandalf and Aragorn trying to find him before Sauron does (before 'Fellowship'), but maybe Jackson and Co. will do something similar.

Gollum is also awesome, so there's THAT![/QUOTE]

hipster-frodo-lord-of-the-rings-meme.jpg

Received my Best Buy Exclusive today and I couldn't be more disappointed! First off it was shipped in basically a Hefty Garbage Bag, then when I opened it could not believe the shape the slip cover was in! All 4 corners are smashed and a big tear in the side (Photos below). Needless to say I complained with BB Customer Service, but all I got was a limp apology and they told me to exchange it (No
shaqfu.gif
Sherlock!). I will never purchase another BD from BestBuy.com unless they start to ship them in boxes like Amazon!

2lw6owk.jpg

[quote name='skiizim']They ship a lot of there stuff like that or just slap a label on the physical box.[/QUOTE]

Ya it's a joke! I should have just drove down there and bought one to begin with instead of having one shipped. When I got my Skyfall Steelbook from Amazon.UK I couldn't believe how much trouble they go trough to make sure they are shipped protected. This was ridiculous and I feel like I should get more than just an apology and an exchange. How could they ship something that damaged to a loyal customer.

[quote name='TealPavelski']Ya it's a joke! I should have just drove down there and bought one to begin with instead of having one shipped. When I got my Skyfall Steelbook from Amazon.UK I couldn't believe how much trouble they go trough to make sure they are shipped protected. This was ridiculous and I feel like I should get more than just an apology and an exchange. How could they ship something that damaged to a loyal customer.[/QUOTE]

Sorry man. I know exactly what you mean when you say Hefty Bag when you're talking about best buy. It's so asinine for bestbuy to send it in a bag because probably one of the reasons you specifically took your business to bestbuy.com was to get the best buy exclusive slipcover that they are promoting and marketing in their weekly flyer.

Bestbuy goes through the trouble of having a bluray exclusive incentive, promote the incentive, and then ship it in a POS bag. This is the reason I drove to Best Buy today to buy the Zero Dark Thirty Steelbook. I was tempted to buy the hobbit too, but I already spent way too much this week on blurays and games and I need to hold on to some $$$$$ to get taxes done. :roll:

Went tonight to exchange the copy I received and my closest store was completely sold out of every version of The Hobbit. Seriously, it looked like some sort of Apocalypse broke out and copies of the film were food! Gonna have to hit another store a few cities away to get a different copy.

I ended up getting mine at Costco for $18.99. I watched it with the kids and was glad I bought it. While I thought it was pretty good when I saw it (once) in the theaters, for some reason it seemed much better this time around. I'm not sure why.

But can someone explain this Ultraviolet thing? I take it this UV is some way to get the digital version. I got a digital copy with my LOTR extended trilogy but it wasn't done this way - I ended up getting a code to use on iTunes. How does this UV stuff work? Will I be able to download it in iTunes as well as on my PS3? Or do you have to pick a platform at some point (I'm wondering whether I should sign up on the Mac where my iTunes library is located).

[quote name='io']I ended up getting mine at Costco for $18.99. I watched it with the kids and was glad I bought it. While I thought it was pretty good when I saw it (once) in the theaters, for some reason it seemed much better this time around. I'm not sure why.

But can someone explain this Ultraviolet thing? I take it this UV is some way to get the digital version. I got a digital copy with my LOTR extended trilogy but it wasn't done this way - I ended up getting a code to use on iTunes. How does this UV stuff work? Will I be able to download it in iTunes as well as on my PS3? Or do you have to pick a platform at some point (I'm wondering whether I should sign up on the Mac where my iTunes library is located).[/QUOTE]

Ultraviolet is another form of a digital copy. Unless specifically stated, it will not give an iTunes copy. For example, Les Miserables digital copy code works for both, The Hobbit does not. You can redeem the code at whatever site is listed on the insert. To watch an Ultraviolet digital copy on an iPad/iPhone, you can sign up for a Flixster account and download that app. Once you link your Ultraviolet account and the Flixster account, you can watch (either stream or download) the movie on your mobile device through the Flixster app. You can also create a Vudu account (which is Walmart's streaming service) and link it to your Ultraviolet account to watch the movie on blu-ray players/HDTVs/PS3/X360 through the Vudu app. As far as I can tell, most movies that you redeem on one service are also viewable through the other. Both Flixster and Vudu usually run promotions giving you free movies when you sign up for them as well.

bread's done
Back