The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

Ice Cream Sandwhich (CM9) is out and it is MARVELOUS. The touchpad has never run this smooth, ever. There are stuff broken (GPU accelerated videos, camera, mic), so netflix and youtube hd do not work, but normal youtube works, browser is effing AMAZING, games work flawlessly and so much more. Its absolutely amazing how nice it runs for a Alpha 0. Love it.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Ice Cream Sandwhich (CM9) is out and it is MARVELOUS. The touchpad has never run this smooth, ever. There are stuff broken (GPU accelerated videos, camera, mic), so netflix and youtube hd do not work, but normal youtube works, browser is effing AMAZING, games work flawlessly and so much more. Its absolutely amazing how nice it runs for a Alpha 0. Love it.[/QUOTE]

Excellent, thanks for the update blitz :)

[quote name='blitz6speed']Ice Cream Sandwhich (CM9) is out and it is MARVELOUS. The touchpad has never run this smooth, ever. There are stuff broken (GPU accelerated videos, camera, mic), so netflix and youtube hd do not work, but normal youtube works, browser is effing AMAZING, games work flawlessly and so much more. Its absolutely amazing how nice it runs for a Alpha 0. Love it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely looking forward to loading when Netflix is fixed. I'm not on CM7 yet, but I just loaded 3.5, is this a good build or do you guys recommend I stick with 2 or 3?

I'm sure i can test this out (and probably will), but doesn't the TP need the wall adapter to convert power to proper wattage to charge? I seem to remember connecting it to my computer and it didn't charge...

[quote name='Chronis']I'm sure i can test this out (and probably will), but doesn't the TP need the wall adapter to convert power to proper wattage to charge? I seem to remember connecting it to my computer and it didn't charge...[/QUOTE]

the touchpad should prompt to go in USB mode or charging mode. It won't charge if you don't select it.

It won't charge while off either on computer usb.

[quote name='Chronis']I'm sure i can test this out (and probably will), but doesn't the TP need the wall adapter to convert power to proper wattage to charge? I seem to remember connecting it to my computer and it didn't charge...[/QUOTE]

Your PC needs a high output USB port.

I was struggling with a charging issue, sometimes it would charge, other times it wouldnt, tried a lot of things thinking it was CM9. Turned out the usb cable was bad. Swapped cables from my thunderbolt and charges lightning fast again. Gonna have to call HP and get a new cable.

[quote name='blitz6speed']I was struggling with a charging issue, sometimes it would charge, other times it wouldnt, tried a lot of things thinking it was CM9. Turned out the usb cable was bad. Swapped cables from my thunderbolt and charges lightning fast again. Gonna have to call HP and get a new cable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. And, I think HP knows they're bad, that's why I posted that link to OEM cables. Let us know how that call goes!

The reason why I think they know they are bad is, I was on their Official site looking for something and 1 of the requirements was "a working USB cable". Lmao!:roll: That was odd as heck, but for a $99 Android tablet, I'll deal with the extra $5!:D

Thanks for the guide. Just installed CM7 on it and it is working great. Not sure if I want to go CM9 yet. Couldn't really figure out what new features it had and it seemed to be more unstable.

Shouldn't this thread be in the Mobile gaming section of CAG or can this thing play PC games as is?

I'm currently running Alpha1 on my Touchpad (I'm new at this, but it wasn't that bad getting it installed).

How do I go about putting Alpha2 on it? Do I just put it in the root on my TP again and run the ACMEInstaller? Do I need to put the gapps back in? Will it remove all my current downloads and settings?

CM9 Alpha 2 is quite lovely. I was previously disappointed with CM7 and opted to use webOS mainly, but this replaces webOS for me.

btw I upgraded from CM7 alpha 3 without needing to clear apps or settings, so upgrading from alpha 1 should be straight forward I'm guessing. Just skip the part where you go into clockwork to reset the cache, etc.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']CM9 Alpha 2 is quite lovely. I was previously disappointed with CM7 and opted to use webOS mainly, but this replaces webOS for me.

btw I upgraded from CM7 alpha 3 without needing to clear apps or settings, so upgrading from alpha 1 should be straight forward I'm guessing. Just skip the part where you go into clockwork to reset the cache, etc.[/QUOTE]Does the headset jack work in that version? Heard there was an issue witth it . . .

Can someone pm me with a link to good instructions for loading the latest android OS in the Touchpad. It would be greatly appreciated

[quote name='jgiovanni']Can someone pm me with a link to good instructions for loading the latest android OS in the Touchpad. It would be greatly appreciated[/QUOTE]

On its way. Easy step by step for Alpha 2.

Nice. Ordered a case for me and one for the wife. I would order an extra charger, but between the two of us I figure we should always have a working charger. Thanks for the heads up.

Huh, anyone get an order in while it was free shipping?

I checked the status of a case I ordered since I haven't gotten a shipped email, and now on their site it says "Order declined; please call ".

I'd assume its because they want shipping now, but to cancel prior orders seems a bit much.

J/W if anyone else got canceled before I call and ask why. I know it can't be a stock issue as I can still order the case, but w/shipping.

[quote name='moojuice']Huh, anyone get an order in while it was free shipping?

I checked the status of a case I ordered since I haven't gotten a shipped email, and now on their site it says "Order declined; please call ".

I'd assume its because they want shipping now, but to cancel prior orders seems a bit much.

J/W if anyone else got canceled before I call and ask why. I know it can't be a stock issue as I can still order the case, but w/shipping.[/QUOTE]

I got mine last week; I ordered within a few minutes of Strell's post and got the free shipping as well.

Can anyone comment on how stable the current build of ICS is on the Touchpad?

I primarily want to use the Touchpad for web-browsing and it is extremely frustrating when a webpage will not load correctly and then constantly reload over and over again.

How is the current build of ICS and the chrome web-browser?

[quote name='moojuice']Huh, anyone get an order in while it was free shipping?

J/W if anyone else got canceled before I call and ask why. I know it can't be a stock issue as I can still order the case, but w/shipping.[/QUOTE]

I received my order on Friday but I was not able to get free shipping; it was a couple of hours after Strell posted. Give 'em a call.

[quote name='antlp89']Can anyone comment on how stable the current build of ICS is on the Touchpad?

I primarily want to use the Touchpad for web-browsing and it is extremely frustrating when a webpage will not load correctly and then constantly reload over and over again.

How is the current build of ICS and the chrome web-browser?[/QUOTE]

Its pretty stable I just installed it a few days ago and it runs fast than before when i was using WebOS plus way more responsive. On Chrome I can't comment cause I don't use it.

[quote name='joker______']Its pretty stable I just installed it a few days ago and it runs fast than before when i was using WebOS plus way more responsive. On Chrome I can't comment cause I don't use it.[/QUOTE]

Any particular guide you used for the change?

Use the newest CM9 nightly for now. Great news is that Dalingrin is done with finals and working on the touchpad again, this is a huge deal that might get the 3.0 kernel finished, making the touchpad a lot more stable (less kernel panics).

[quote name='blitz6speed']Use the newest CM9 nightly for now. Great news is that Dalingrin is done with finals and working on the touchpad again, this is a huge deal that might get the 3.0 kernel finished, making the touchpad a lot more stable (less kernel panics).[/QUOTE]

Any good walk though you recommend?

[quote name='joker______']Its pretty stable I just installed it a few days ago and it runs fast than before when i was using WebOS plus way more responsive. On Chrome I can't comment cause I don't use it.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, I'm thinking about switching to ICS if I can get a more reliable web browser and if the TP is more responsive that's even better.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Any good walk though you recommend?[/QUOTE]

There are literally 1000's of walkthroughs. You can also install Goo Manager from the market and it will download the newest nightly + gapps for you. And from within the app, you can upgrade your recovery to the full touch recovery and auto-install style.

I installed a nightly android build 4-30-12 about 2 weeks ago now and I'm loving my touchpad so much more now. Not sure I even need to go back into WebOS even though it's still there. Great stuff.

I just upgraded to CM9 last night and it is so much nicer than CM7. Still no Hulu via app, but can't have everything.

The devs have started porting the camera source HP gave up via lawsuit to CM9, not much progress yet but the app opens and crashes instead of nothing happening.

Installed cm9 on my previously webOS only TP and love ICS on it. However, as far as the version goes I had to go with the Alpha 2 from Rootzwiki because on the cyanogenmod download page, the 0327 Nightly (last Official build) link is bad and as far as nightlies go the last stable one I've heard much about is 0522 or 0527, but those are no longer downloadable from that page. I've unsuccessfully searched for alternative places to download these file and struck out since everyone link's to cmod's download page.

Anyone know of somewhere else I can find these files?

I think I am at the point where I am ready to dual boot my touchpad. Does anyone know of a good resource (easy to follow) that walks you through the installation process? It seems most of the sites that get updated these days assume you're updating your cm9 installation not starting from scratch like me. Your help is much appreciated.

[quote name='ooga']I think I am at the point where I am ready to dual boot my touchpad. Does anyone know of a good resource (easy to follow) that walks you through the installation process? It seems most of the sites that get updated these days assume you're updating your cm9 installation not starting from scratch like me. Your help is much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I used this article from WebOS Nation:

http://www.webosnation.com/how-install-cyanogenmod-9-android-your-touchpad

I had no problems installing, but I read the comment thread at the bottom of the article which helped me avoid some common mistakes.

[quote name='ooga']I think I am at the point where I am ready to dual boot my touchpad. Does anyone know of a good resource (easy to follow) that walks you through the installation process? It seems most of the sites that get updated these days assume you're updating your cm9 installation not starting from scratch like me. Your help is much appreciated.[/QUOTE]RevTV is the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGY4gpsDPD8&feature=player_profilepage

He makes it very simple and explains everything very well. Much easier than some of the other walkthrus out there. Plus he has walkthrus on upgrading nightlies, a hulu fix and other important stuff.

bread's done
Back