[The Humble Bundle] Weekly Sale - Alan Wake

Oops. Didn't see that you created this thread. I went and tracked down the old thread to bump it. Wouldn't have gone through all that effort if I had seen this thread.

I loved Alan Wake. Awesome game. American Nightmare was pretty good too. I already have both on the 360 and Steam, but I'll drop a dollar on it to grab a copy for a friend.

I dropped a dollar to upgrade my regular to collectors. I'll add American nightmare to my giant list of games ill drop in a thread at some point.

I have the games & expansions on PC as well, but I also dropped a $1 on this to get them DRM free + the extras. Also passing the deal along to some friends that have been too stubborn to pickup this awesome game before now. ;)

[quote name='rocko562']Is anyone having problems with paying with paypal?[/QUOTE]

It took longer than usual, but it went through fine for me.

[quote name='inm8num2']Best deal ever?[/QUOTE]

Helping others and getting a good game yourself (even if you already have it like myself) for dirt cheap, yes!

Damn, man - already got this game series (DRM-FREE) + some goodies on GOG.
Still ain't finished original AW.

I really want the soundtrack and Steam-key(s)!

You know what, this is why PC gamers are fucking assholes. Brilliant...absolutely BRILLIANT game, partnered up with charity. Pay what you want? The average price is $2.14. Are you kidding me?

"Wha, wha, if you made better games we wouldn't pirate the ever living shit out of them. What? I can pay what I want for a really good game. OK. $2.14. Wha, wha. fuck your DRM! I'm going to pirate it in protest!"

I'm not sure there's a more idly-threatening, hypocritical group on the planet, not currently in Congress.

[quote name='AionTelos']It says "Get steam keys" or something at the top in green.[/QUOTE]

It only have the link to download...:cry:

EDIT: see it thanks

[quote name='berzirk']You know what, this is why PC gamers are fucking assholes. Brilliant...absolutely BRILLIANT game, partnered up with charity. Pay what you want? The average price is $2.14. Are you kidding me?

"Wha, wha, if you made better games we wouldn't pirate the ever living shit out of them. What? I can pay what I want for a really good game. OK. $2.14. Wha, wha. fuck your DRM! I'm going to pirate it in protest!"

I'm not sure there's a more idly-threatening, hypocritical group on the planet, not currently in Congress.[/QUOTE]

I got it for $2.50!

Did not really care for it. Haven't even downloaded it yet. Since is not in a Sony system I will play it on the PC eventually. If ever...

At any rate, people give what they want to give. Many, who like me never even considered getting the game and others who already bough it and just want the extra; Is better to get something than nothing. Specially since people wasn't going to buy it in the first place. Should get over it.

[quote name='xRemnant']I got it for $2.50!

Did not really care for it. Haven't even downloaded it yet. Since is not in a Sony system I will play it on the PC eventually. If ever...

At any rate, people give what they want to give. Many who like me, never even considered getting the game. Others who already bough it and just want the extra. You really flipping over nothing. Is better to get something than nothing. When people wasn't willing to pay anything for it in the first place.[/QUOTE]

So devs are going to continue to want to support PC gaming in the hopes that they can make $2.14 on a game while trying to mildly prevent privacy? I just see it as incredibly disrespectful to the developer, but for this one to even be paired with charity, and to have the PC gaming community embrace it...for $2.14? Way to ensure your community will be considered irrelevant for years to come. Tweaks me because I'm a huge Remedy fan, and even if you don't like the game, how many 83+ metacritic score, AAA games, are honestly only worth $2.14?

We all want a great deal and to save money, but this is sort of like going to a fundraiser carwash and giving the kids who washed your dirty car a shiny nickel for their trip to DC this summer.

I definitely agree that I'm overreacting, but like I said, I'm particularly partial to Remedy, and the way they run their company.

[quote name='berzirk']So devs are going to continue to want to support PC gaming in the hopes that they can make $2.14 on a game while trying to mildly prevent privacy? I just see it as incredibly disrespectful to the developer, but for this one to even be paired with charity, and to have the PC gaming community embrace it...for $2.14? Way to ensure your community will be considered irrelevant for years to come. Tweaks me because I'm a huge Remedy fan, and even if you don't like the game, how many 83+ metacritic score, AAA games, are honestly only worth $2.14? [/QUOTE]

If I don't get around to playing, none of them are even worth that much.

PC game bundles and sales set prices where people are buying games even when their backlogs are so big that they never will get around to playing what they already have. These developers are getting money for games that people will not download, let alone play, just because the price is too good to pass up.

PC Gamers are the devil, I agree. I can not wait until PCs are a thing of the past and I will be forced to pay $59.99 for Tetris on my X-Box One.

[quote name='gilby']If I don't get around to playing, none of them are even worth that much.

PC game bundles and sales set prices where people are buying games even when their backlogs are so big that they never will get around to playing what they already have. These developers are getting money for games that people will not download, let alone play, just because the price is too good to pass up.[/QUOTE]

This is CAG, everyone has a backlog. I have PS2 games new in the wrapped box. Declaring your own price, and having it average $2.14 is ridiculous.

PC Gamers are the devil, I agree. I can not wait until PCs are a thing of the past and I will be forced to pay $59.99 for Tetris on my X-Box One.

Indeed. And that should entitle you to pirate Tetris 2 since the dev clearly doesn't deserve any money for their game.

If there is never another game like Alan Wake made I'd sleep just fine. Different strokes for different folks.

What's the point of vilifying people who are paying little to pick up these humble bundles?

Even if it's $2, that's $2 more than they had before (collectively).

I picked up the bundle just so I can have it on steam even though I already have it on the 360. Why would I want to pay all that much when I'm paying for the privilege of playing the games I already own on another platform?

Keep your supposed moral superiority to yourself.

[quote name='Slade']What's the point of vilifying people who are paying little to pick up these humble bundles?

Even if it's $2, that's $2 more than they had before (collectively).

I picked up the bundle just so I can have it on steam even though I already have it on the 360. Why would I want to pay all that much when I'm paying for the privilege of playing the games I already own on another platform?

Keep your supposed moral superiority to yourself.[/QUOTE]

It's the hypocrisy of many PC gamers bitching when games aren't released on PC, or steps are taken to make piracy more challenging, then when asked to vote with their wallets and prove why they should be considered a meaningful market for a game dev, they elect to pay $2.14 per game. You can't complain that devs don't want to spend money and resources to support the PC, then "re-pay" them for that investment, at an insanely low amount (and Remedy is likely making even less than this, as you can assign any part of your purchase to the charity...If I understand correctly).

[quote name='berzirk']This is CAG, everyone has a backlog. I have PS2 games new in the wrapped box. Declaring your own price, and having it average $2.14 is ridiculous.

Indeed. And that should entitle you to pirate Tetris 2 since the dev clearly doesn't deserve any money for their game.[/QUOTE]

I don't see what the rage is about. I would rather 1,000,000 different people pay $2 for this game that would never have experienced it otherwise. Sure it's a great game. It's also over 3 years old and MOST of the hardcore people/fans who have seen it and were interested in the game at this point have picked it up/played it by now.
I also don't see what's so bad about the average at the moment? This bundle only contains 2 games, (only one being great IMO.)
I bet by the end of this bundle average will be around $3.00-$3.50 and will easily be over $1,000,000.

edit: Also on your talk of PC piracy, I don't think that it really holds water. After Remedy ported and released the game on PC they recouped there costs of development and marketing in under 48 hours, everything else after that has been all profit.

If developers didn't make money from these bundles they wouldn't feature their games in them. Also laughable to argue console gamers have a moral high ground when it comes to rewarding developers as said developers don't see a dime when it comes to flipped/pre-owned console games.

berzik, there isn't a parallel here between buying this game for $2 and pirating it. You are willfully excluding all of the people who are buying this game with no real intention to play it, or who had no interest in it prior. The first thing you have to accept is that piracy isn't something that the majority of PC gamers practice, no matter how much you don't want to believe that. Not all PC gamers are the same person who all believe and do the same things. Additionally, this purchase - nor any purchase, for that matter - is being presented as an opportunity to vote for AAA publishing and against DRM simultaneously. That's like saying that walking is always done in protest of driving. Lastly, the people who are aware of Humble Bundle sales are an incredibly small number in comparison to all PC gamers, and the devs who put their games on this service know that, and they know the sort of clientele they are going to get through this service.

Having said all that, you are coming off like an asshole.

Also worth noting...

[quote name='Joystiq.com']Xbox Live hosts its own Alan Wake series sale this week. Through May 29, the Xbox 360 Games on Demand version of Alan Wake is priced at 400 Microsoft points ($5), while the Xbox Live Arcade follow-up American Nightmare is a dollar cheaper at 320 points. Alan Wake DLC and avatar items are also on sale through next week.

In the announcement video above, Remedy's Sam Lake (who you might recognize as Max Payne's face model) reveals that the Alan Wake series has sold over three million units to date[...][/quote]

[quote name='berzirk']You know what, this is why PC gamers are fucking assholes. Brilliant...absolutely BRILLIANT game, partnered up with charity. Pay what you want? The average price is $2.14. Are you kidding me?

I'm not sure there's a more idly-threatening, hypocritical group on the planet, not currently in Congress.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I paid one US dollar for 2 games I'll never play let alone install... BTW I elected to have Remedy get 100% of that dollar ;).... but IMO the devs got free money and I got nothing in return. Let me ask, how much did you pay? The original retail price for both games? Doubt it. Go throw rocks from your glass house somewhere else.

Ahhhhh...

Love that clean, fresh feeling when adding some bitchy, self-righteous, pseudo-moralistic ass-hat to the ignore list. :cool:

It's a great game at any price. This sale (along with the current XBLA sale) is obviously meant to drum up interest/support towards the inevitable sequel.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Ahhhhh...

Love that clean, fresh feeling when adding some bitchy, self-righteous, pseudo-moralistic ass-hat to the ignore list. :cool:

It's a great game at any price. This sale (along with the current XBLA sale) is obviously meant to drum up interest/support towards the inevitable sequel.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea there was an ignore button! Going to test that one out.

You do realize that it was long ago that they broke even, right, so almost everything from this point on is profit + charity.

[quote name='celegus']Awesome deal, and I'm really digging the game so far. Always wanted to check it out![/QUOTE]

combat is really fun. i feel like i'm going to piss myself playing the game though. :cold:

Perhaps they could have made American Nightmare the usual "beat the average" bonus; that would have driven up the price a little bit.

I threw them $1 like I do with just about every Humble Bundle and will add it to my never-used Steam Account to watch the virtual game collection grow. I do, however, want to see the extra stuff on this one...

Yeah I payed a dollar for 2 games, but i work at gamestop... say i play it and LOVE it.... arent i a HUGE promoter towards pushing this game to my customers and then the sequel? Pretty sure Remedy has nothing against me.:cool:

I paid for both but how do I activate via Steam? I got the downloads for both but I rather hold off and keep it in Steam.

EDIT: Just found it. Was right in front of me too.

Dude, you do realise that they don't create and develop a separate game every time they sell a steam key right? And you do realise that a helluva lot of PC gamers bought the game after it was released, making up for the fact that it had rather lacklustre sales on xbox even though it was well reviewed right? As a xbox exclusive it only sold 1.1 million copies over 2 years, while xbox gamers pirated the game 1.1 million times in 2010. A lot of PC gamers bought the game when it was finally ported to the PC after 2 years. (I would share the link to the article from where these figures are sourced, but I'm not allowed to post links for another few weeks as a new user I think. But search on google for the article on PC.MMGN)

If you're gonna complain about PC gamers, what about the xbox gamers? Considering they are selling steam keys to a 3 year old game, I don't see what the problem is. They're making bulk profit over many many sales, including from many people buying it for the second time or buying it for friends. There is no mass production cost of DVDs or cases or manuals involved. Developers do this as a way of sourcing extra funds and profits so they can make further games.

If they relied completely on pay-what-you-want sales from day 1, sure it'll be crap if everyone only paid $2. But considering they've made good profit from the PC port, do you really think that the developers will stop producing for PC?

And your whole thing about charity; at least everyone that buys a humble bundle generally gives something to charity. How bout you go and find the xbox Alan Wake gamers and ask each to give $1 to charity before you bang on about it here? (and just so you dont think I'm anti-xbox gamers or something, I have an xbox and prior to this year, that was my main source of gaming.)

bread's done
Back