The Hunter - Now Open to the Public for FREE

cgarb84

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I just heard about this new hunting game developed by the team that did just Cause. Its setup kind of like an MMO except there isn't actually any multiplayer from what I know. MMO like in all its community features mostly. It might not be worth much of a look except for the fact that its free to play the base game. They are talking about subscription fees for additional content but nothing concrete has been announced.

Official game website: http://www.thehunter.com/pub/

Updated Installation Instructions: http://acefan84.thehunter.com/sid/49aebe56-pxj4-001/site/download/

Link to IGN preview: http://pc.ign.com/articles/955/955624p1.html

The best gameplay videos are user submitted ones from the currently ongoing beta that are up on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SIz4rH2t40

As someone who enjoys hunting games I am glad this one looks like the first hunting game in years that isn't just Wal-Mart shovelware crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that doesn't look half bad.

Anyone play Just Cause? I've heard it's unintentionally hilarious and absurdest due to the bugs...

Wow i was never a big fan of hunting games but this games actually looks very interesting and could turn out to be a lot of fun

I just received a beta code in my email this morning. This was a shock to me seeing as how I only signed up for the site about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately the website is down right now so I can't download the game. I will post my impressions when I get a chance to play it.

EDIT: It looks like I didn't need a beta invite, the game is open to play for everyone for free. Going to have to try this out.

hmm looks like its using a p2p download system.

had to set my upload cap to 1kb because i get throttled supremely (like.. downloading less than 2kb a second) if I'm uploading stuff.

Anyone try this out yet? I played for about 2 hrs earlier. I never shot a deer, I tracked one for about 1/2 hr before I saw him but I was running at the time so he spooked and ran off. If anyone is having trouble logging in, getting a message similar to "Server Capacity is Full" it is a common issue tonight. Apparently the developers never though the demand would be this high this early. I think things are supposed to be back up tomorrow sometime.

Tried it for about 45 minutes or so. Game looks AMAZING. Seriously, 307MB and it looks this good? The sounds are great, too. I found 1 deer but i too spooked him and off he/she ran. If they increase the amount of deer by even a little bit, this game is going to be REALLY enjoyable.

Awesome. Played another 20 mins and finally tagged one. All that tracking feels really rewarding when you finally get a kill.

fckyeaaaaaa.jpg

:cool:

[quote name='crystalklear64']Holy shit this game is fucking hard. Just spent an hour tracking one deer, saw it once but not long enough to use the binoc's on it.[/quote]

I know. I just spent about 30 minutes walking around and I didn't see anything, or even think I came close to finding anything.

Do you have any tips?

Yeah it is definitely tough. My biggest problem so far is I never know when I am really close to a deer. I can usually find the tracking stuff ok but then I either lose the deer's trail or I startle it. I also sometimes get confused when you find multiple deer tracks close together all pointing in different directions. But I really do like it so far overall, best hunting game I've ever played I'd say (as if that's real hard to be).

We should eventually add each other as friends on the game to compare kills ect. The pricing structure seems pretty nice as well. If I keep enjoying the game I might consider buying a couple month license or so.

Alright getting better at this now.

Run to that camp site in the top half of the island its a wide open grass field area with few trees, start walking when you get to the top. Lets you have a good view of the area and no trees to block your view. As soon as you see a track or here a call, get into crouch mode and start tracking. If you just find shit, use the call and hope they return the call so you get a direction to go. If you find tracks, just keep following the tracks until they call.

The calls are how I find the kills since it shows you exactly where they are. Then you can use the binocs in that general direction.

There is this good guide on the Hunter forums, which explains a lot of the stuff about that game that is easy to miss or is not apparent.

I put it up on Megaupload. Here is a link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O9ZZK7UE

Plus I didn't know you had to talk to Doc to accept missions.

The next time I start up the game I should have a much easier time.

Haha, the first time I was playing though I was running everywhere searching and searching. Eventually I found a deer that was stuck running into a bush. I shot at it; the shot hit the deer's right hind leg. Then it stopped and laid down on the ground. I walked up to it and blew its brains out.

[quote name='SynGamer']Tip: the top 1/3rd of the map is where the Mule Deer are. So only search there.[/quote]

I didn't know that thanks for the tip. I guess I just figured that you couldn't see the other animals you don't have tags for.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Killed another buck but apparently it wasn't a "6-point" buck for the quest. No idea what that is.[/QUOTE]

6 points on its' antlers.

This game looks intricate as hell. Too much work :lol:

I put in about 2 hours last night...didn't see a single deer :( I found A LOT of tracks/droppings but not a single deer. They might want to think about increasing the number on the map by a little bit. While i know it's realistic to not see anything, this is still a game...

[quote name='SynGamer']I put in about 2 hours last night...didn't see a single deer :( I found A LOT of tracks/droppings but not a single deer. They might want to think about increasing the number on the map by a little bit. While i know it's realistic to not see anything, this is still a game...[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts. I also just played for about two hours and saw nothing but lots of deer crap.

If you just want to get a kill, using the towers is a really easy way. Just pick a tower a fair distance away from the start point, crouch walk the whole way there, get up in, use the call, and just look around. If you don't see anything for awhile, just keep using the call. You have to rely on your own sight, not the HunterMate thing.

[quote name='crystalklear64']If you just want to get a kill, using the towers is a really easy way. Just pick a tower a fair distance away from the start point, crouch walk the whole way there, get up in, use the call, and just look around. If you don't see anything for awhile, just keep using the call. You have to rely on your own sight, not the HunterMate thing.[/quote]
I stayed in a tower which was surrounded on 3 sides by open field and nothing came buy for 45 minutes...

This game definitely isn't for everyone. It really does require huge amounts of patience, something a lot of us don't have in spades. But I find that somewhat refreshing rather than being instantly gratifying all the time.

I'd say I was getting lucky, but when it happens within 30 mins every time, I gotta credit something other than luck.

I'll try it right now.

Or not I guess. Server cap full.

[quote name='cgarb84']This game definitely isn't for everyone. It really does require huge amounts of patience, something a lot of us don't have in spades. But I find that somewhat refreshing rather than being instantly gratifying all the time.[/quote]

I don't have problems with being patient, if I feel like I am getting somewhere. But sometimes I just feel like I have no clue whatsoever on what to do. I wish the game had an option to clue you in a little more on what to do, and where to go.

I didn't mean to insinuate that being low on patience is a bad thing.... I am definitely not the world's most patient person. I do agree that the game could use an easy mode, if nothing else just to act as somewhat of a tutorial. Right now there isn't really anything to help the new players out at all in game.

None, lol, I was just blindly running through the woods to that last tower before the lake, broke into the field and there were 4 just sitting there.

Rawr, every time I try to launch the game it just crashes with no error. It shows The Hunter and a guy and his dog walking in a field and then it just crashes.

Anyone know anything?

[quote name='a_bleak_tomorrow']downloading now this would be cool if there was like a party system where you would all start out at the same camp[/quote]
With in-game chat? I was thinking the same thing.

EDIT: another 45 minutes of tracking and still no sightings...

Well, i finally saw some deer, one had a huge rack, at least 6 points but i didn't get to shoot at that one until it was too late. I missed (not sure how) the first deer, got off a second shot, then tracked one of them for about 30 minutes, found it, shot at it again, this time wounding it though i'm not sure how bad...never found it, just spent 45 minutes trying to. No blood trail at all aside from the initial wound :(

32522157.jpg

WWHHHOOOOOOOO!!! I finally shot and killed my first deer. It was a buck, not sure how many point. It only took me about 15 minutes to find and shoot him, usually when I play I wonder around for about an hour without even seeing anything.

Since somebody else revived this, I thought I'd mention, Just Cause is free to play on GameTap right now (game was talked about on page 1).

[quote name='lordwow']Reading the accounts of the game in here, this sounds worse than the old mmorpgs for grinding and camping :lol:[/quote]
It's really hit or miss, it can be a blast tracking a pack of deer down for an hour, but when you're on the trail and still can't get the kill...it becomes frustrating. As i said, if they increased the number of deer on the island even by 10-20%, i think that would help.

Here's a question for everyone, since i'm not a hunter in real life, i have no idea when the best time to start my hunt is. I try to rush to one of the towers in the top-middle or the map where you can see open field/meadow on 3 sides...

I always start at 9am, easiest to see imo.

After my first couple of times out just learning how to play, I've always had the opportunity to kill at least 1 deer within my playing session. I say opportunity, because I'll spot a doe, but I won't kill them.

Again, maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm certainly not having these issues you guys seem to be.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I always start at 9am, easiest to see imo.

After my first couple of times out just learning how to play, I've always had the opportunity to kill at least 1 deer within my playing session. I say opportunity, because I'll spot a doe, but I won't kill them.

Again, maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm certainly not having these issues you guys seem to be.[/quote]
I've been starting at 6AM so perhaps that's why it takes so long to track deer down.

bread's done
Back