THE I just can't bring myself to finish this game THREAD

I never figured out what the heck wad going on In Metroid Prime but I did finish it. I stopped after the first 10 hours and finally went back to.it using an online guide. Without it I wouldn't have finished.

[quote name='waldo21212']The main story part of Revelations was good (not as good as 2 or Brotherhood, but still good), but the Desmond 1st person parts were awful. I did the first 2 but couldn't bring myself to even try the last 3.

I usually try to fully complete the AC games to get all the story (like finding all the hidden clues in 2 and Brotherhood), but the Desmond parts of Revelations didn't seem like they were worth it.[/QUOTE]

The Desmond parts were interesting. Not fun to play, but fun to think about. The room layouts were interesting and unlike anything I've experienced in a game. It was like a dream mixed with cubist art.

[quote name='6er']I never figured out what the heck wad going on In Metroid Prime but I did finish it. I stopped after the first 10 hours and finally went back to.it using an online guide. Without it I wouldn't have finished.[/QUOTE]

I never did finish metroid prime. Borrowed it from a friend and it sitting infront of me right now. didint realize this is the game everyone is talking about in the tread. All i remember was having to power down some walls and fighting a big bug.
I did like reading the character bios though.

[quote name='camoor']The Desmond parts were interesting. Not fun to play, but fun to think about. The room layouts were interesting and unlike anything I've experienced in a game. It was like a dream mixed with cubist art.[/QUOTE]

I thought they were mediocre puzzles with shitty controls that completely ruined them.

I did like the getting background info on Desmond during the levels, but that alone wasn't enough to torture myself into playing the last 3 of them.

I couldnt finish MP 1 on the GC or MP 3 on the Wii.
I enjoyed the games but in 3 got stuck at some part where i have to move three radio towers or something while these bugs are moving them back. I'd move one, the flying bug would put it back. Repeat. I'd get shot, die.
Wii's been up on a shelf for over a year.

^What is MP? Not Max Payne...

Also, I couldn't finish Pikmin 2. Got stuck on a hard part where only Purple pikmin could do anything. But farming Purple pikmin was a pain and took way too long.

Assassin's Creed - I couldn't get through it after a few tries (got bored) which is the reason I haven't played any other games in the series (despite the critical acclaim).

Bayonetta - The story was ok, as was the combat....but I don't know. The rest of the game felt way too...Japanese? I know that's funny since it was developed in Japan, but I guess I've just been away from those crazy over the top Japanese action games for so long, that now I find them to be too strange to play. Traded it in. At least I didn't lose much since it was a Black Friday deal.

Yakuza 4 - I think I've run into the same issue with this one as Bayonetta. The gameplay is pretty fun, but the subbed dialog makes the story hard to follow since so many of the characters sound alike (I'm sure Japanese people say the same thing about us in America! :lol:). The cramped feeling of the city is a bit of a turn off for me as well. I still have it, but haven't felt an inclination to play it in months.

Clock Tower 3 - Going back a little further here, I really liked this game for awhile. Especially since I had played Haunting Ground, and enjoyed that game from start to finish (although I said "eff it" to the puzzle rooms towards the end and used a guide). However this one I just got tired of playing it right when those twin psychos start chasing you around. I still have it, still glance at it on the shelf, but don't feel like trying to finish it.

[quote name='Javery']Assassin's Creed - I couldn't get through it after a few tries (got bored) which is the reason I haven't played any other games in the series (despite the critical acclaim).[/QUOTE]

Assassin's Creed 1, right? If so that's understandable.

When the first AC came out, I loved it. It was a new idea to me, and so fun to Assassinate then hide/run. Looking back on it, it's all the same mission in AC1 (get mission, do same side missions for info/rep, then assassinate) BUT Assassin's Creed 2 is so much of an improvement it's shocking. It does not feel repetitive at all like the first game, and most of the optional stuff is just that, optional.

AC:Brotherhood added multiplayer if you like that. The Brotherhood system addition was awesome for the series. And a new counter killing system that I really liked. AC:Revelations didn't really add anything imo. The Mediterranean Defense from Brotherhood was "meh" and Tower Defense from Revelations sucked, very annoying. But building up your Assassin recruits was cool.

All said, I still like the character Altiar much more than Ezio, who got the trilogy (2, Brotherhood, Revelations) unfortunately. Altiar in Revelations was kind of a let down, even if more info on his story was good. But the way Ezio found out about Altiar was dumb.

I am referring to AC1. I loved it at first - it was so pretty for its time and the climbing was great. After the third of fourth assassination I think I had seen enough. Also, the flag collecting was highly annoying (optional, I know but still - they should have included some sort of tracking system to help you). I want to try the other games in the series eventually though.

[quote name='Javery']I am referring to AC1. I loved it at first - it was so pretty for its time and the climbing was great. After the third of fourth assassination I think I had seen enough. Also, the flag collecting was highly annoying (optional, I know but still - they should have included some sort of tracking system to help you). I want to try the other games in the series eventually though.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, I think there was 9~10 mission assassinations. Ya the flags in 1 were bad, and 2 also. But Brotherhood and Revelations had in-game buyable maps with markers, so that was awesome. Dual assassin blades was fun, crossbow addition, new heavy guard type so game isn't too easy (but screw the Janissaries), the later entries kept improving. I also forgot Revelations added the hook blade for faster climbing, so good. I liked the series originally because of the parkour feel of it.

[quote name='Drizzt']Bayonetta - The story was ok, as was the combat....but I don't know. The rest of the game felt way too...Japanese? I know that's funny since it was developed in Japan, but I guess I've just been away from those crazy over the top Japanese action games for so long, that now I find them to be too strange to play. Traded it in. At least I didn't lose much since it was a Black Friday deal.[/QUOTE]

Haha blasphemy. The combat is so buttery smooth! I've played through it at least 4 times! :D But to each their own...

I gave up on Yakuza 4 because of too frequent simple random encounters, getting lost easily, and the story didn't quite go anywhere. Think I barely finished the first character's chapter.

Mafia II: Even when I was trying to be careful, I would end up having to outrun the cops for WAY too long before I could continue with a mission. I was in more police chases than I was actually doing missions. I couldn't do it anymore.

Dead Island: Had fun playing with my friend for a while. Eventually he did not have time to play anymore and I tried to finish the game by myself. I was bored to death and just sold it.

Borderlands: Kind of the same as above, except I was playing with 3 of my friends and they gave up after dying over and over and over again. I was left playing by myself and it was way too boring alone.

Driver San Francisco: I tried to play this immediately after finishing Saints Row The Third so it was hard to get into this game since I loved SR3 so much. The handling and overall gameplay felt terrible and there were too many interruptions to the gameplay with random small cutscenes and mission intros.

Metroid Prime 2: I actually made it through MP1 despite having a hard time. I immediately started Echoes and quickly realized I can't put myself through this again. I may eventually go back and play it though.

I've beat it but am really contemplating never going for the rest of the achievements in Lego: POTC. Anyone has played the lego games knows there's always different things you can collect parts of in each level and in this one there are ships in bottle parts, 10 pieces scattered throughout the level. I don't know if I just played it fast to get the main game done or they were legitimately hidden better than other Lego games but to my dismay after starting this up a year later I see I've practically not got a single 1/10 in any level. It's going to take forever to do this with my schedule and every guide I've seen so far on Youtube sucks.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']Majora's Mask. One of the very few Zelda games I haven't completed. Every time I start it, the time limit turns me off and I move to something else. I will finish it one of these days, damnit.[/QUOTE]
I'll second this, which is a shame since I had fun for the parts I played, though every time I had to start the 3-day cycle over again, I felt like I was taking a step backwards in my progression (more psychological than real though, as you did keep all the key items you collected).

Plus it was bad enough in OoT and LttP, where you had two realms to keep track of in terms of sidequests, but with three days, each with day and night cycles, means I had to keep track of 6 different times for quests, let alone the pre / post boss fights zone effects, which also affects certain quests. Filling out your Bomber's notebook was almost down to the in-game hour, which added even more stress to a game that should progress naturally and at your own pace. The completionist in me started looking up info online to fill in the parts I missed, and once you go down that route with a Zelda game, it takes most of the enjoyment out of playing.

I liked that it was different, and eventually I will beat it, I just have a hard time loading it up again.

Adding another game to the list, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 for PSone, while my favorite arcade racer of all time, had such a tedious way of unlocking the 300+ cars, that I never got around to finishing it. For anyone that has ever played it, you know how annoying it was to memorize your finishing placement patterns in all the GP races (which you had to literally play hundreds of times), forcing you to throw races in the name of unlocking cars...

The Godfather 2 - My GOD that was painful... I was at the last part in the game and I just cbf doing the same thing another 20+ times to get to the next part.

Final Fantasy 12 - I just felt drained playing it; one of these days I'll get back to finishing it... maybe.

Wild Arms 5 - enjoyed the rest of them. Made it to the towers near the end of the game, but just couldn't do it.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - went from linear as hell in 13 to OMG WHAT DO I DO NEXT in 13-2. I disliked having to use monsters as my third party member. I got bored traversing the same levels over and over again. This is the first FF i put down before I made it most of the way through the game. I've played them all (except 10-2) and the only other FF i haven't beaten that I played besides III.

Final Fantasy III - Ditto to getting my butt handed to me by the end boss.

Ratiata Stories (ps2) kinda fun but meh

Record of Agarest Wars 2/Trinity Universe - I loved Cross Edge and AW 1/0. Agarest Wars 2 should have been a no brainer. Played it for like 14 hours. The game felt localized in two or 3 different locations and boring. Cross Edge you were exploring and finding new towns constantly. Trinity Universe just sucked.

Shadow Hearts - i heard they were such fantastic games. I just couldn't get into them.

[quote name='godsentdeath']Shadow Hearts - i heard they were such fantastic games. I just couldn't get into them.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I must have started up the second one a few times. I'm constantly told this game is awesome and I believe it, but I'm just not motivated to play. It's still one of the few highly regarded PS2 era RPGs I haven't beat.

[quote name='Drizzt']Clock Tower 3 - Going back a little further here, I really liked this game for awhile. Especially since I had played Haunting Ground, and enjoyed that game from start to finish (although I said "eff it" to the puzzle rooms towards the end and used a guide). However this one I just got tired of playing it right when those twin psychos start chasing you around. I still have it, still glance at it on the shelf, but don't feel like trying to finish it.[/QUOTE]

Smart choice. The boss battles goto a nearly insane level and the last boss battle is absolutely infuriating. I got all the way to the end and couldn't get that ahole - I had to youtube the ending and to this day its the only game where I quit on the final boss battle.

Probably Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I've bought and sold the game like 4 times now and I always play for an hour and then get so tired of it that I sell it. I loved AC2 though. Maybe I'll just watch the cutscenes online..

Tried to play Kane & Lynch 2 yesterday and even after turning off the shaky cam, still got motion sick in the first few minutes. I only spent $4 for it but I enjoyed the two Army of Two games and this seemed similar enough. Also got motion sickness from Bulletstorm and Perfect Dark XBLA so I barely played any of those games.

As for games I actually played, the most recent was Pokemon Conquest. I finished the main campaign and read that there's so much more afterwards, but I felt done at that point. I definitely thought I'd enjoy it but I didn't click with it.

I can't get past a few of the later stages in iolomilo. The game was easy enough to a point then I just hit a brick wall. I should go back to it sometime.

This is a long time ago but there was an RPG I got all the way to the last boss (I hope it was the last boss) but could never beat. I think it was Skies of Arcadia for the DC. I'd like to see a re-release of that game just so I can go back and beat it.

I guess I would say Assassin's Creed (1). It wasn't a horrible game but there was a lot of stuff wrong with it...particularly the lack of diverse missions. :rofl: Combat was too easy with the counter attacks and the cinematics ended up feeling longwinded (and unskippable!).

For me it's Prince of Persia 2008.

Fight a boss, heal land, collect light seeds, go to next area. Rinse and repeat. Talk about repetitiveness.

Final Fantasy XIII - I'm never going to beat it. Never. I'm never going to sell my launch copy either so I have no f*cking clue what I'm doing in general here. I just can't get over how boring, tedious and irritating the battle system is no matter how hard I try to tolerate it. Shame because Lightning is almost worth the effort. ...Almost.

Final Fantasy IX - Too. F*cking. Boring. For the first time ever in a Final Fantasy game I didn't give a shit about any member of my party expect for maybe that Blank guy. He seemed cool.

Catherine - Such a great game but after the fifth stage my patience wore razor thin. Took a break and never came back. Not going to sell that shit either... ugh.

Dragon's Dogma - Too. F*cking. Boring.

After the moronic community got Capcom to patch the moldy carrot shop trick for easy money I lost all interest. A severe lack of immediate free fast travel in your game and what happens? You pander a bunch of loudmouths helping them police games they have no business butting into by patching the fastest way for me to circumvent your horrible design choices. The same ones preventing me from maintaining interest in your game? Genius.

I'm sorry but being forced to waste time running past the same mook spawning woods over and over every time I want sell my f*cking loot is utterly ridiculous. Still not sure if I'm going to sell it or not, but having this shit fresh in my mind again isn't doing it any favors.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
- Bad game was bad and I felt worse for buying it.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
- Had I not stupidly missed the DLC sale a couple months back I would be singing a different tune right now. Besides we aren't likely to see a sequel any time soon so I've got all the time in the world to finish it.

Plenty others... but fuck that noise. I'm done. Back to playing games that don't suck.

[quote name='cheapnpoor']For me it's Prince of Persia 2008.

Fight a boss, heal land, collect light seeds, go to next area. Rinse and repeat. Talk about repetitiveness.[/QUOTE]

What is bad for me about that game is that it felt like 10% of your time was getting to the boss and fighting him. The other 90% was trying to figure out how to get the light seeds after you'd healed the land.

I'm so used to playing games I figured the ones out of reach required some power up that I didnt have yet, so I left. Nope, cue lots of back tracking and exploring in order to progress.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']

Final Fantasy IX - Too. F*cking. Boring. For the first time ever in a Final Fantasy game I didn't give a shit about any member of my party expect for maybe that Blank guy. He seemed cool.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you entirely. The only character I liked in FF9 was Beatrix, and she wasn't even part of the main crew of the game. I hated the other characters so much, that I started using Gameshark to hack her into my party until I reached the third disc, and decided Kuja could have that world all to himself. It wasn't interesting enough to make it worth saving.

[quote name='eldergamer']What is bad for me about that game is that it felt like 10% of your time was getting to the boss and fighting him. The other 90% was trying to figure out how to get the light seeds after you'd healed the land.
[/QUOTE]

90% platforming + 10% action = win

I loved that game.

bread's done
Back